Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Okay, what the hell is this?

Space Station 13 is a 2D top-down Multiplayer RPG/intrigue/beat'em up game on the BYOND platform/engine that nobody's ever heard of. The game itself is broadly about the crew of the station having to defend themselves from traitors, nuclear operatives, wizards (in space!), changlings, and ultimately other crew members.

Each crew member is another player, the amount of players fluctuates between 20 – 50 depending on when you log in. The game is played in rounds, each one a separate game. This will be explained further in the videos.

Wait, I heard about this game, it's really complicated, why would anyone play it!

Let's just get right to it: SS13 is not an easy or intuitive game to play at all. The interface can be buggy and the BYOND engine lags like hell. Also, doing things is about as cumbersome as juggling chainsaws while on fire.

However, in spite of these shortcomings it's an absolute blast to play. Because nearly all characters are players and the rounds are only about 30-60 minutes each, the game is always a unique experience every round. With a variety of game modes and the coders always adding new features, the experience never gets stale.

So what are you going to be doing?

I'm going to show you guys the game from the perspective of all the different jobs on the station (with the exception of the Head of Security since that one is restricted to approved players) and also show how the game works and the basic mechanics for doing things.

I won't be revealing any of the lesser known secrets of the game, because a lot of fun can be had from discovering these things yourself. Also, the admins have a habit of changing these things once they're widely known to keep abuse down.

Thread rules

No posting of chemistry recepies or the lesser known secrets. If you're unsure, then don't post it.
Don't post about how you got banned or some other drama crating stuff.

Thread Participation

Due to the nature of the game, I'll have to create a random name prior to joining. Suggest names for me to use, they have to follow some basic rules:
Have a first name and a last name, both capitalized.
Start with an honorific title and then a last name.
You can use conjunctions, like my name ingame is usually “Zhar the Mad” so that's fine.

Also, suggest gimmick-job combinations if you have any ideas. The main rule here is that it can't get me banned and I'll be the judge of what will get me banned or not.

Episodes:
Episode 1: Introduction and Staff Assistant Daily Motion
Episode 2: The quick and the slipped (Janitor) Daily Motion
Episode 3: The Good Father (Chaplin) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 4: Drug Computer (AI) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2 will be up when Daily Motion stops being annoying.
Episode 5: The Dirt on Space Station 13 (Scientist) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 6: A Master of his Quarters (Quartermaster) Daily Motion
Episode 7: Builder Bot (Cyborg) Dailymotion
Episode 8: A Miner Inconvenience (Mining) Daily Motion.
Episode 9: A Thing Happened Daily Motion Part 1 Part 2
Episode 10: Green Thumb Daily Motion coming soon.
Episode 11: The Solarium Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 12: Quantum Portal
Episode 13: A Change of Heart (Changeling Round!)
Episode 14: What's for Dinner? Daily Motion
Episode 15: Marry Spacemas! Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 16: Bomb Carts (Detective)
Episode 17: Ham for Dinner Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 18: Have a Secure Day (Security) Daily Motion:Part 1 Part 2
Episode 19: Medical Assistance (Doctor) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 20: And Then I got High (Captain) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 21: Worst Wizard Ever (Wizard Round!) Daily Motion: Part 1 Part 2
Episode 22: Traitor Botanist Daily Motion
Episode 23: Wizarding 2 The Redemption Daily Motion
Episode 24: The Gang Daily Motion rejects this video? Weird.
Episode 25: How About a Friendly Game of Chess? Daily Motion
Bonus to 25: A Different Perspective
Episode 25A: An old Friend Daily Motion
Episode 25B: Just Blobbin Daily Motion
Episode 26: DEEP DANGER
Episode 27: Polite Station 13
Episode 28: Get dat Disk!
Episode 29: The Research Director
Episode 30: Shooting up
Episode 31: Daeren's Space Station 13
Episode 32: BLOOD
Episode 33: Feeling Clonesome
Episode 34: Eli Vox's SS13
Episode 35: Digital Clown
Episode 36: Just Another day as CE
Episode 37: Danger! Danger! High Voltage
Episode 38: Stanta Claws the Cyborg
Episode 39: An old Atmos Tech
Episode 40: A Bombing and Tradio
Episode 41: Magical Elixer
Episode 42: How to Wizard by Peter Xanax
Episode 43: A bad day to be a Roboticist

Bonus Reels
Bonus 1: Highlights from a boring QM round. Daily Motion
Bonus 2: Clown Captain Daily Motion Part 1 Part 2
Bonus 3: Technical Difficulty!
Bonus 4: Just Blow it all up
Bonus 5: Escape is Fire
Bonus 6: Craptain Convention Daily Motion
Bonus 7: What is Happening! Forums User NeoGeo0823 has a different interpretation
Welcome Back Bonus!

Other Let's Plays of Space Station 13
Plumphelmetpunk has a pretty good series of Let's Plays on this, going all the way back to Overy Station: https://www.youtube.com/user/PlumpHelmetPunk/videos
Jebadiah Kermin also does some SS13: https://www.youtube.com/user/ss13jkts/videos

More Information
Thread in the Games forum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551842 (Also has links to the wiki and SS13 server forums)
SS13 Wiki, shows you how to play the game and info on pretty much everything: http://wiki.ss13.co/Main_Page
:siren: Tickets and Fines Log: http://goonhub.com/tickets Recommended viewing! :siren:

This is art

Razage fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Oh, boy, this is gonna be good :allears:

I'll definitely be following this closely; I love this game even if I don't play it much.

vvvvv --I dunno, I'd rather see a round as botanist trying to get as much weed to the masses as possible. Original? Not really. Eventful? Always.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 1, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Your first gimmick character should be a chef doing everything he can to cause as much flatulence as possible throughout the station (potentially by filling the station personnel with questionable foods). He will be named SPHINCTER SYMPHONY and will dress up as an 18th-century musician, complete with a powdered wig if you can find one. Been awhile since I played SS13, can't recall what all the clothing options are.

There's cooler things to do as a chef, but you'd get banned.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 1, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh god. There's no way everyone on the station, up to and including admins, is going to gently caress with you once they see you on the station from now on.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Highly aggressive Doctor. Patients must hold STILL for treatment. All injuries will be treated, willingly or no.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

YellerBill posted:

vvvvv --I dunno, I'd rather see a round as botanist trying to get as much weed to the masses as possible. Original? Not really. Eventful? Always.

Whenever I played chef I gauged my success on how many people on the station were gibbering in Swedish and/or dying of kuru.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

1stGear posted:

Oh god. There's no way everyone on the station, up to and including admins, is going to gently caress with you once they see you on the station from now on.

That's why after this video and the next that's already recorded, I'm using random names so nobody except the admins will know it's me, and at least they'll be funny about it.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Your first gimmick character should be a chef doing everything he can to cause as much flatulence as possible throughout the station (potentially by filling the station personnel with questionable foods). He will be named SPHINCTER SYMPHONY and will dress up as an 18th-century musician, complete with a powdered wig if you can find one. Been awhile since I played SS13, can't recall what all the clothing options are.

You can still get up to a lot of trouble as Chef and not get banned. It's one of my favorite jobs so we'll see what I can get up to. 18th century musician might be tricky but there's some options that'll get me close!

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
For a gimmick I would suggest you play a pipe-hacking clown named Pennywise because it's the most fun there is, however the clown was removed and the disposal networks were turned into an unworkable mess before I stopped playing(and largely why I stopped)

So instead it'd be cool if you showed off pipe-hacking at some point.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Reicere posted:

For a gimmick I would suggest you play a pipe-hacking clown named Pennywise because it's the most fun there is, however the clown was removed and the disposal networks were turned into an unworkable mess before I stopped playing(and largely why I stopped)

So instead it'd be cool if you showed off pipe-hacking at some point.

I like this. A pie-packing, pipehacking clown. Might be a good way to showcase some mischief.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

If I can make a suggestion, play as a Janitor and show folks how you can properly piss off EVERYONE on the station just by doing your job.

People may love a clown, but good god do people hate when a janitor actually does a bit of work!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Be Chaplain. Acquire a pair of health goggles. Ensure the entire station remains healthy. :getin:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:psyduck: I need an info post so badly. What even is this?

...It just seemed like a bunch of random chucklefucks were let loose on a space station, their only instructions being 'go nuts'. Would that be an accurate summation?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

...It just seemed like a bunch of random chucklefucks were let loose on a space station, their only instructions being 'go nuts'. Would that be an accurate summation?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Razage posted:

I'm using random names so nobody except the admins will know it's me, and at least they'll be funny about it.

You can't order us to be funny about things :colbert:

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

1stGear posted:

Oh yes, absolutely perma-banning him if I see him around LET'S PLAY RUINING AN LP WOO!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This should be fantastic. I'll second the recommendation for Chef or Barman. Preferably Barman, actually - get chemistry access, make up some really creative cocktail recipes, and people will flock to the bar. This in turn means very interesting things/people are likely to happen around the bar, and your need for cross-station visiting means you'll get the chance to explain various areas, jobs and horrifyingly creative crime scenes as you undoubtedly blunder through them.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I've killed fifteen people as a chef before and never even got in trouble. If someone eats what you make, and you don't forcefeed them it, any horrible things that happen are both on their own head and entirely expected.

Sledra posted:

Oh yes, absolutely perma-banning him if I see him around LET'S PLAY RUINING AN LP WOO!
Nobody meant banning. He is quite likely to be turned into a gibbering Elvis-accented Shrek or a brain-damaged alien at any given moment, though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I tried this once, I couldn't understand whatever was going on, so I'm looking forward to this LP to shine some light on the madness.

Play as a Chaplain , named Father Grigori and booby trap the chapel if possible, then hold a funeral for someone. If you can't find a corpse, make one.

Tell everyone you meet that they need to be watchful running around Space Station 13.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Join as a Miner, take the Bumblepod, warp to the station level, recruit the absolute first person you see, and then go on Space Adventures.

Go to Telescience and volunteer for an expedition. That's it. The rest of that trainwreck will pretty much unfold by itself.

Attempt to break into Electronics as someone who shouldn't be there.

Attempt to help run the engine with a hellburn.

Play as the AI.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Seconding telescience/space adventures.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Go Botanist, make army of clones.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This game always gave me serious problems getting into, partly due to how unstable BYOND is, partly due to personal impatience.

Looking forward to seeing where this LP goes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure I only played two rounds of this game, a long time ago. In the first, I immediately got into a floortile-throwing match against someone, and I think I was winning until a security guard(?) ran up to us and knocked us both out. In the second, I found someone unconscious in the vents and dragged him to the doctor, only to be accused of being the one who knocked him out and killed.

It actually was quite fun all things considered, maybe I should play some more. I'll be watching this anyhow.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

If you have the time, you should probably to the "How do i not beat myself to death with shoes on the arrival shuttle" tutorial video. For anyone who hasn't played this wonderful spaceman simulator, the UI is at best archaic and at worst unusable. And that is even after the improvements the coding team did to the UI.

Also, I'm going to second just being a space janitor, with the gimmick of just being a space janitor and keeping the station clean. It is the only job outside of being a Head or Security that will send you on a one way trip to space for just doing your job.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Yapping Eevee posted:

Pretty much this. It's an extremely detailed space station simulation, with a random slice of the internet serving as crew. There's also rules for traitors and aliens and what not, but they're usually just a side to the bizarreness that would already happen.

That said, when I've played I've often had a lot of perverse fun just trying my best to keep the station running (and usually failing).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Pretty much this. It's an extremely detailed space station simulation, with a random slice of the internet serving as crew. There's also rules for traitors and aliens and what not, but they're usually just a side to the bizarreness that would already happen.

That said, when I've played I've often had a lot of perverse fun just trying my best to keep the station running (and usually failing).
Right, the one thing that I'm not sure whether it's a failing or the reason it can be great or what (but anyway) is that outside of wikis and YouTube, there is absolutely no real induction programme.

You start on a shuttle (sometimes) and even controlling where you move is an unintuitive slog (cursor keys? In My 20xx?), worsened by how bad the netcode is. This shuttle may or not be venting O2. It may or may not have been bombed. Inside this shuttle, assuming it has no atmosphere, it may or may not have emergency O2 tanks (good luck setting one of those up on your first game) and a working intercom (which by default won't be broadcasting, and in any case, who really reads the intercom chat when "say ;" exists, not that you'll know how to use this from the off). After meandering out of the shuttle (hopefully), you may or may not even have a real job. Probably not.

Anyone who wants to beat you up will 100% certainly win in your first game. Even in your hundredth, if you never learned the art of Robust-Fu against anyone good, you may well be conked over the head, blowtorched to within an inch of your life, and strapped to a chair. Security was probably responsible for this, so calling for them is hopeless.

The community also has bizarre rules like "NO DNT SAY WHAT THE CHEMISTRY RECIPES ARE FFS ITS A SECRET" so that new Toxins staff will a) definitely get killed, and b) ruin everything always and get job banned, at least for a while.

The station also changes from server to server. You can set up the 'default' reactor located on the exterior of the station, and manage the singularity? Yeah well you're not on Noobstation For Idiots Alpha now, you're on Goonstation, where the power generation system is some mad heat differential thing that relies on knowing how to affix various gas tanks, set a controlled fire, and know the properties of several materials which aren't in the base game. And it isn't even in the same place at all.

Good laugh sometimes, though.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

jBrereton posted:

ss13 is hard

drat, this makes me wish I'd gotten started on Prospector Pete's Rootin' Tootin' Tutorial sooner. This is pretty valid though, and although it's fun to watch new people beat themselves to death with their own shoes, it'd be nice if there were a more direct way of learning the basics.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I recommend becoming a scientist and getting as many people as high as humanly possible by any means necessary.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Zhar the Mad was a chump. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Play as the AI.

I used to play SS13 and my favorite game was one where I was the traitor AI. I barely had to do anything to win, the station fell apart on its own. Zhar should try and do it for this LP if only because of how different it is from the other jobs.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Chef sounds good to me. I've heard about this game a lot, but never had the courage to try. I expect "great" things.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Yapping Eevee posted:

This game would be the closest thing we are going to have to a Sealab 2021 game. The crew, driven mad by the fact they are trapped on a space station made by the lowest bidder containing highly volatile explosive gas, sociopaths, wizards, aliens, malfunctioning AI, and other dangers, try to continue doing their job until the station lacks enough oxygen/structural integrity for the escape shuttle to be called by one of the missing/dead heads of staff or the corrupted/compromised AI.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 1, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That first episode was pretty decent, went out with a bang. You could maybe have examined some people when you were a ghost and explained what their equipment and injuries indicated or something like that, but all around it was a nice introduction.

I'd like to see you take on space cleaning as the neatest, most diligent janitor in town. You're bound to get into trouble interesting situations that way. And if that doesn't work out, you could always do the janitor from Scrubs routine.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 1, 2013

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,

Donnerberg posted:

That first episode was pretty decent, went out with a bang. You could maybe have examined some people when you were a ghost and explained what their equipment and injuries indicated or something like that, but all around it was a nice introduction.

There's a lot to explain in this game. I think every video will probably have more explanations of various things like that.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Yapping Eevee posted:

...It just seemed like a bunch of random chucklefucks were let loose on a space station, their only instructions being 'go nuts', and some of them are dangerous lunatics planning to wreck the place and kill everyone and you have no idea which ones. Would that be an accurate summation?

There you go, it is now.

This should be a fun ride! I can't wait to see where you go with this Razage, there's so many possibilities.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
If you play janitor you absolutely must not put down signs. This is the most efficient ratio of hate generated to wrongdoing on your part. True fact.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

magic mountain posted:

There you go, it is now.

This should be a fun ride! I can't wait to see where you go with this Razage, there's so many possibilities.
I just went to the Goonstation wiki and read nothing but the various job pages.

I heartily agree that this is going to be a super special LP. :allears:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Admiral Funk posted:

If you play janitor you absolutely must not put down signs. This is the most efficient ratio of hate generated to wrongdoing on your part. True fact.

From my experience putting down signs makes everyone even more mad.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A janitor game sounds like it could be pretty rad, so do that.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

jBrereton posted:

The community also has bizarre rules like "NO DNT SAY WHAT THE CHEMISTRY RECIPES ARE FFS ITS A SECRET" so that new Toxins staff will a) definitely get killed, and b) ruin everything always and get job banned, at least for a while.

Newbies don't get banned for making newbie mistakes as long as they actually reply to admin PMs. At worst we'd just say "hey, be more careful next time" and tell them how to do so - if it's clear that they goofed up instead of intentionally making a huge deadly mess. Someone opening the valve on a plasma tank instead of wrenching it to the port underneath is usually just a mistake, while someone opening the valve after dragging it to the middle of the Arrivals hall with a lit welder in hand obviously isn't.

quote:

The station also changes from server to server. You can set up the 'default' reactor located on the exterior of the station, and manage the singularity? Yeah well you're not on Noobstation For Idiots Alpha now, you're on Goonstation, where the power generation system is some mad heat differential thing that relies on knowing how to affix various gas tanks, set a controlled fire, and know the properties of several materials which aren't in the base game. And it isn't even in the same place at all.

Goonstation pretty much is the base game, all the other servers are based on a branch of our older code.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Speaking as one of the badmins, despite the reputation from other servers (and some players), we're not all grief-happy tyrannical overlords itching to ban "fuckin' pubbies" for the slightest mistake before retiring to our goon lair to laugh diabolically as we mash the "spawn yetis" button. People have been deadminned for that sort of behavior. We are, however, fully willing to mock, screw with, and/or ban people who can't follow simple rules like "don't be a racist, creepy, generally horrible human being" or "seriously, don't use Skype to make little battalions that magically know to run halfway across the station to save each other from danger without a word being said in-game, we can tell, we aren't idiots." If it's an honest mistake, you're cool. If you own up to it and understand why what you did was wrong, you'll probably get some degree of leniency. If you're obviously an unrepentant shitlord, you're in for a ride if an admin is feeling creative, and a summary ban if they're not. Even then, you can always appeal your ban unless you're transplant from one of the 4chan servers howling something like "ADMINS ARE FAGGOTS" on the station radio or emote-raping somebody, in which case :frogout:

...and yes, we do sometimes screw around, but we usually wait until all the antagonists are dead and nothing is happening, or give ample warning pre-round.

• Locked thread