Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Time Cowboy posted:

It was a laughable tale of unpreparedness, dehydration, and poor fitness, but I learned some basic lessons, and I'll be sure not to repeat certain mistakes.

Story of the year for me as well. On my latest adventure I decided to not follow the suggested route and after 4.5 hours and only 7 miles covered, this was as close as I got to my goal

Definitely trying again next year. Hopefully with better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A Kpro posted:

Story of the year for me as well. On my latest adventure I decided to not follow the suggested route and after 4.5 hours and only 7 miles covered, this was as close as I got to my goal

Going off-trail is a great way to realize how loving badass the early pioneers were. Also to realize how much it must have sucked.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I went to Ecola Park. It had just rained and four miles of the trail was literally a wet, ankle-deep mud pit. It took four hours to go through it.

Otherwise a nice place.

Love Ecola, great pics!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I went to Ecola Park. It had just rained and four miles of the trail was literally a wet, ankle-deep mud pit. It took four hours to go through it.

Otherwise a nice place.

I live on the wrong drat coast.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:siren::canada: :canada: :canada::siren:

Back in the Rockies! by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

I finally made it back out where I belong! And man, am I out of shape. I haven't done any real hiking since Mt. Batur in Bali back in May, and I really felt it today. Only made it up about 500-550m vertical, but whatever. I live in the goddamn Canadian Rockies so even failed summits and goals still pay off.

I bet if I had given myself an entire day rather than starting at 3 p.m., I could have completed this particular goal.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I've done several hikes this summer, but for now here was the most interesting trip I've been on. I'll post more later when I can go through my photos and pick the best ones.

Ape Cave, Mount Saint Helens - Cougar, WA
This was a cave, so there's not many photos from this trip.

Pay attention to this sign. This sign is important.

Entrance to Ape Cave

I hiked lower caves first, then upper caves with a good friend of mine. I knew there was an 8' lava wall to climb, but I wasn't prepared for how smooth it was. I barely made it up that thing, with my friend's help. I slipped the first time and wound up with a really gnarly bruise. Definitely wear pants for this excursion, and bring a warm jacket as the cave is 42*F year round inside. The rest of the cave was 27 house-sized piles of boulders to climb over. Upper Ape Caves was absolutely brutal.

Toward the end you get treated to The Skylight. Worth it.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I went to Ape Cave in college. Fun trip, especially since the Pacific Northwest has so few experiences like that. We then drove up to Windy Ridge in a 15-passenger van, which is not something I'd recommend if anyone in the van has ever gotten carsick before.

Anyway, this weekend I hiked to Benchmark Mountain via West Cady Ridge. On a clear day, you can see just about every prominent peak in the Cascades between Rainier and Baker. There were more than enough huckleberries along the trail to make up for the fact that the flower show was over.

Benchmark Mountain north view by seanexmachina, on Flickr

Benchmark Mountain east view by seanexmachina, on Flickr

Benchmark Mountain south view by seanexmachina, on Flickr

Benchmark Mountain west view by seanexmachina, on Flickr

This is about as deep as you can get into the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness without having to spend the night. Hiking to places like this is really pushing me toward taking up backpacking.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Took the puppy on her first overnight camping trip to Ramona Falls (Mt. Hood) on Friday.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Edit:

We decided to hit up Lion Lake via Wild basin trailhead tomorrow - should be a blast now that the tourist season is winding down.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ropes4u posted:

Edit:

We decided to hit up Lion Lake via Wild basin trailhead tomorrow - should be a blast now that the tourist season is winding down.

Hit the Boulder-Grand Pass just off the Thunder Lake campsites if you have time. It leads you to a nice scramble up the pass and an amazing view of both sides of the park.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Someone was posting here recently about a lovely park that was either almost or entirely in transit range of NYC. Remind me please?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Avalanche Lake was pretty cool

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

alnilam posted:

Someone was posting here recently about a lovely park that was either almost or entirely in transit range of NYC. Remind me please?

What do you mean by "transit range"? You mean public transit, or by car?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

alnilam posted:

Harriman State Park has a train stop or two on a very limited schedule on weekends, I think. I don't know which line it is, but that's probably the park you're thinking of.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

Hit the Boulder-Grand Pass just off the Thunder Lake campsites if you have time. It leads you to a nice scramble up the pass and an amazing view of both sides of the park.

Thanks we should have plenty of time! I just got notified I might be sent to Florida for six weeks, so this could be the last trip until October. Probably will not prepared for much winter action outside of the ski zones :oI

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

single-mode fiber posted:

Avalanche Lake was pretty cool

That's freaking beautiful.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

What do you mean by "transit range"? You mean public transit, or by car?

Yeah, I meant public transit.

Time Cowboy posted:

Harriman State Park has a train stop or two on a very limited schedule on weekends, I think. I don't know which line it is, but that's probably the park you're thinking of.

I think that was the one, thanks! I'll look into train-ing there.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wild basin was flipping awesome. - Thunder lake

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A few more iphone pics

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

How many of you carry shelter with you when you day hike? I was reading up on what to bring with me to go hiking at Mt Rainier National Park, and their website recommended a shelter as one of the 10 essentials you should bring. This make sense, since the weather can take a turn for the worst really quickly on the side of a mountain. I got an 8x10 tarp, painter's drop cloth, tent stakes, and guy wire in case I run into trouble. I also have a wire saw for making a lean-to if I need to.

I hike solo, so I've put together a whole survival pack to take with me when I go hiking. I also picked up a can of pepper spray in case someone tries to assault me. There's been attempted rape of lone hiking women on trail around here over the last few years, so I'm kinda paranoid. Has anyone ever been attacked by another hiker before? Most the people I run into seem pretty cool but it always is there in the back of my mind every time I pass someone.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Lacrosse posted:

How many of you carry shelter with you when you day hike? I was reading up on what to bring with me to go hiking at Mt Rainier National Park, and their website recommended a shelter as one of the 10 essentials you should bring. This make sense, since the weather can take a turn for the worst really quickly on the side of a mountain. I got an 8x10 tarp, painter's drop cloth, tent stakes, and guy wire in case I run into trouble. I also have a wire saw for making a lean-to if I need to.

I hike solo, so I've put together a whole survival pack to take with me when I go hiking. I also picked up a can of pepper spray in case someone tries to assault me. There's been attempted rape of lone hiking women on trail around here over the last few years, so I'm kinda paranoid. Has anyone ever been attacked by another hiker before? Most the people I run into seem pretty cool but it always is there in the back of my mind every time I pass someone.

A day hike emergency shelter would consist of either a tarp or a mylar bivvy sack for me. Nothing crazy or heavy since most day hikes are usually a day's worth of travel which might only mean a night or two outside at the very most if something seriously bad happened. Pepper spray isn't a bad idea I'm any case for animals or people especially a lone female hiker. I've never been attacked or even remotely frightened by anyone on a trail before (I'm also a man) but weirdos are everywhere but you probably have better odds of getting struck by lightning or mauled by an animal ... all of which are still highly unlikely. Just be careful not to let strangers know specifically youre staying if you are traveling alone.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

My wife and i carry heat blankets (free at marathons), trash bags, line, food, and a trauma / first aid kit on every hike.

We see other hikers with nothing but an iPod and water bottle so pick your comfort level.

We need to add bear spray..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I always have a light trauma kit and overnight kit on hikes that would take most of the day. Realistically anywhere you have GSM coverage it'll be your best bet though :)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I always bring at least a custom first aid kit, some rope, and 2 trash bags.

2 trash bags can serve as a (kind of unpleasant but functional) emergency shelter. I drew a comic about it a while back.

As for assault, I've never ever heard of someone being attacked on remote trails, nor have I felt frightened by other hikers on them. I'd only imagine bad things happening on a more popular/easy-to-get-to trail at night. Then again, I know it's a different world for solo women.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 5, 2013

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

New to the thread and to hiking in general, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered extensively.

Today I was only a mile and a half into my hike when something decided to crawl up my pant legs and sting me once on each butt cheek. I never found the creature that did it, but it packed a punch. I sadly had to call it a day and make the very painful trek back to the car. I popped a Benydryl and two Advil and it still really sucks sitting down currently which is about two hours from when it happened. I didn't see any stinger, just a pin prick hole with a half dollar sized red welt around it. I sanitized and medicated both spots and am now sitting on an ice pack which is helping a little bit.

Is there any sort of quick pain relief for bug bites, stings, etc? I was really bummed having to call it a day since the weather was really lovely.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Get an Afterbite tube or pen. Also, in Thailand when I was eaten alive by sandfleas (hundreds of bites that turned my skin almost purple), I had some hydrocortisone wipes that worked quite well to relieve the pain and itch.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah hydrocortizone (1% is typical) cream helps as a local antihistamine. Bummer about your bum

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 6, 2013

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

yellowjournalism posted:

What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

I'm a big fan of my Petzl Tikka XP 2. http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/universal/tikka-xp

Good battery life, lightweight, fits in a pocket.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have a BD storm and like it just fine. It has strobe modes, switch locking, tilt, red leds for night vision conservation, tool-less battery change, and it's waterproof.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 6, 2013

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

yellowjournalism posted:

I have a fenix it's functional but I think its a bit heavier than the TIKKA XP I use at work.

My flashlight is a foursevens mini AA, bright, simple and cheap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yellowjournalism posted:

I love my Fenix flashlights, but I have had two of their headlamps go bad on me with minimal use.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

yellowjournalism posted:

I just picked up a BD Spot, haven't had a chance to use it yet. I realize that isn't helpful.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm starting the JMT from Yosemite tomorrow. I hope this is a good idea because I'm sure not changing plans now :v:

Update: alive! We did it in 17 days, it was fun and pretty and I am never going outside again. :) Here's a pretty thing!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a BD Cosmo and it's nice but a little weak for night hikes. If you need it incidentally it's fine, but the Storm would be better.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I got a Black Diamond something-or-other for my birthday... I carry it with me but jeez I hope I never have to use it. It has a battery pack with 4 AAs in it, and apparently the spotlight is 200 lumens. A little over the top for me, but uh, happy birthday to me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I have a BD Storm as well... it's a little heavier than other headlamps I've owned but it's built super rugged and I really appreciate the red light and dimmable white light.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just hiked out of the Wind Rivers today after 5 nights, and while I make no claim of being widely traveled, they were the most beautiful place I've been. Amazing place, and whoever said earlier that cross country travel is hard, I'll second that. At least we knew where we were going

I'll post some pictures later this weekend as I'm in the car driving to Evanston at the moment

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Levitate posted:

Just hiked out of the Wind Rivers today after 5 nights, and while I make no claim of being widely traveled, they were the most beautiful place I've been. Amazing place, and whoever said earlier that cross country travel is hard, I'll second that. At least we knew where we were going

I'll post some pictures later this weekend as I'm in the car driving to Evanston at the moment

How did that quilt treat you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Business of Ferrets posted:

How did that quilt treat you?

It was really warm for the season so it didn't test the lower limits or anything, but I was drat warm up top. My feet felt a little weird...not cold but cooler than other stuff? Maybe I just have bad circulation cuz it felt like that regardless of my position. I'll have to experiment with it, play with moving the down from baffle to baffle, play with the straps some more, etc.

I did find that I need to figure out a pillow that works better for me cuz I spend too much time trying to get my head comfortable