Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ol qwerty bastard posted:

now it gets turbulent flow (that currently builds up and makes it go all hosed eventually because i haven't written any sort of proper planet-spin-is-imparting-momentum-to-atmosphere stuff

each post gets cooler

coriolis acceleration should only take a moment to implement, if you're interested: taking the x axis to be pointing east and the y axis to be pointing north, you want a point with velocity (u,v) to experience an acceleration

4*Pi*R*sin(L)/T (v, -u)

where

R is the radius of the planet
T is the length of its day
L is the latitude of the point

this might produce some weird behaviour because the geometry you've got in that vid is of a cylinder rather than a sphere, but try it and see :)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

coffeetable posted:

each post gets cooler

coriolis acceleration should only take a moment to implement, if you're interested: taking the x axis to be pointing east and the y axis to be pointing north, you want a point with velocity (u,v) to experience an acceleration

4*Pi*R*sin(L)/T (v, -u)

where

R is the radius of the planet
T is the length of its day
L is the latitude of the point

this might produce some weird behaviour because the geometry you've got in that vid is of a cylinder rather than a sphere, but try it and see :)

if u calculate the rossby number for your flow you might get away with the geostrophic approx and save some calculating at the poles

rule #1 of fluid dynamics is to ignore as many terms as you can

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i went back to my cloud whatever simulator thing and rewrote it using actual navier-stokes this time :pcgaming:
now it gets turbulent flow (that currently builds up and makes it go all hosed eventually because i haven't written any sort of proper planet-spin-is-imparting-momentum-to-atmosphere stuff, i'm just naively adding some constant to the x-component of the vector so it goes out of control, but for now it looks pretty cool and that's what i was trying to accomplish)

how do u make youtube not turn your pixel-perfect simulation output into a lovely blurry mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcfzPZwxu80

the red is supposed to be little vectors showing wind direction but instead they are blobs and streaks

for example here is what one of the frames is supposed to look like:

gj
would you say you are pretty navier-stoked right now?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i changed the colour of the vectors in hopes that something else would compress better than red (gently caress red forever) and rendered a 1080p version which looks a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJQnR1_oNU

i'm still playing around with the acceleration thing

eventually i'll stop using a cylinder and use something actually shaped like a planet

Dec 26, 2012

i went back to my cloud whatever simulator thing and rewrote it using actual navier-stokes this time :pcgaming:
now it gets turbulent flow (that currently builds up and makes it go all hosed eventually because i haven't written any sort of proper planet-spin-is-imparting-momentum-to-atmosphere stuff, i'm just naively adding some constant to the x-component of the vector so it goes out of control, but for now it looks pretty cool and that's what i was trying to accomplish)

gat drat, good poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's this guy on youtube who renders his nes or snes games out to 4k resolution and uploads them that way because he says it renders them more correctly or some poo poo.

more codec sperg than pagancow.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESnZ8woNZI

tasvideos, dudes who use hacking tools to do stupid fast (often game breaking) speedruns. the 4k uploads are the least of it. plus even the lower quality versions look decent so they may be on to something

trap sprung i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

tasvideos, dudes who use hacking tools to do stupid fast (often game breaking) speedruns. the 4k uploads are the least of it. plus even the lower quality versions look decent so they may be on to something

trap sprung i guess

tases are designed to be repeatable on real platforms and great care is taken to ensure it to the point that people have modified n64 controllers to precisely play back the control inputs used in the emulator stage to a real n64 and then record that whole thing for verification

it mostly only matters when new glitches are discovered to verify that they are game glitches and not emulator glitches

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
is that done with other game systems as well?

i had not suspected the depth and breadth of the spergery...so beautiful, should have sent a poet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is that done with other game systems as well?

i had not suspected the depth and breadth of the spergery...so beautiful, should have sent a poet

yes, at least systems for which tasing happens. basically anything n64 and older.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

i barely GNU her! posted:

i also hooked up buttbot to twitter and it hasn't been reported/blocked/whatever for nearly 3 years now :shrug:

my program just runs every 5 minutes or so, grabs stuff from the stream sample api until it succeeds (usually the first tweet is fine, but it'll keep streaming until it is able to process one), then reposts it, then quits and cron starts it up again later

i used to stream 24/7 but it was total overkill for something as low-volume as that

i also used to follow back anyone who followed it and use that to get tweets (using the api equivalent of the home screen), unfortunately it resulted in following like a thousand spam bots, poo poo source material, and me hitting the upper limit of how many accounts you can be following at a time (it's around 1800)

I guess twitter changed the rules since then. with what you said in mind these days I tried manually following people who followed the account and it got suspended again but this time it's not coming back anymore :(

no butts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

spankmeister posted:

more codec sperg than pagancow.

impossible

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

trap sprung i guess

drat, 240p of that vid looks almost as good as 480p renders do uploaded normally

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBGWrGT1E8 here's an example of the verification thing on the n64

sports
Sep 1, 2012
check this its ksp but for me :/

https://trac.princeton.edu/Athena/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i've been working on this game evngine on and off since like 2007. porting it to java now. ehre's a procedurally generated building that makes sure every room is accessible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but how do you access the building?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

put an entrance anywhere

since all rooms are accessible, any entrance into the building is a valid entrance

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

:2bongs:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what's the generator trying to optimize/what're the constraints other than "all rooms must be accessible?"

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

coffeetable posted:

what's the generator trying to optimize/what're the constraints other than "all rooms must be accessible?"

optimal buttcrack shaped rooms

sports
Sep 1, 2012
you spent that long on a simple caving algorithm?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

sports posted:

you spent that long on a simple caving algorithm?

no, i spent today on it

the original engine did a shitload more, including a quad-tree rendering graph, scene graph, tetris-style inventory and minimap guis, a* pathfinding, npc state-machine ai, procedurally generated quests, paperdoll-style animation overlays for npcs, etc etc

but i coded myself into a corner so now i'm starting from scratch

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why not make a game people actually want to play? instead of "lovely rougelike #2347"

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Sweevo posted:

why not make a game people actually want to play? instead of "lovely rougelike #2347"

why not be a not-jerk and not judge other people's spare time projects

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Sweevo posted:

what the gently caress, how is my post the only post in this entire thread that gets poo poo on

fine, gently caress it, gently caress you, gently caress this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i liked your diagram, horse man

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
chill out maybe his spare time project is making GBS threads on rogue likes, this is the idiot spare time projects thread

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i honestly wasn't trying to be a jerk (it does read that way though). it just seems sort of pointless that people keep reinventing such a boring type of game.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
seems like a cool spare time project to me, and a fun way to learn some stuff

my spare time projects these days mainly consist of playing civ 4 and drinking

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
going to use the screen printing poo poo at tech shop to make that shirt that says "helvetica" but with one of the "e"s in arial next week

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gently caress yes i drew this triangle yesterday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol wtf happened to the title bar

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

my stepdads beer posted:

lol wtf happened to the title bar

owned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kwinkles posted:

going to use the screen printing poo poo at tech shop to make that shirt that says "helvetica" but with one of the "e"s in arial next week

ahh that's gonna be the best hipster vs. actual designer shibboleth

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm sure i heard someone say helveesha once

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

kwinkles posted:

u monster

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
p sure I wouldn't notice this unless someone told me to look for something wrong

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Moist von Lipwig posted:

p sure I wouldn't notice this unless someone told me to look for something wrong

do it with the e, c, and a. the a especially is horrendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spongeh posted:

do it with the e, c, and a. the a especially is horrendous.

that is the arial a :unsmigghh: