Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I've been holding out for the T440, but I am now looking at the Y410p since I just can't wait until......whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
For what it's worth, a few people have messed around with the T440s, some articles are coming out, and there's very strong hints we will see announcements next week. Both IDF and IFA are happening around then. If it doesn't pan out, a Y410p is a pretty decent alternative, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Lenovo's never-ending sales.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

For what it's worth, a few people have messed around with the T440s, some articles are coming out, and there's very strong hints we will see announcements next week. Both IDF and IFA are happening around then. If it doesn't pan out, a Y410p is a pretty decent alternative, but I wouldn't put too much stock in Lenovo's never-ending sales.

I still laugh when I see that it has a VGA port. I know that this is desirable in a business environment where most projectors still use VGA connections, but it still feels bizarre.

The end of that article says that it should be available to purchase in October, so an announcement should take place sometime this month, probably

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Well this is turning into a very confusing choice

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

QuarkJets posted:

What's the lowest price that we've seen the Y410P go for, though? The cheapest model is $739 with the B&N link, I don't think that it has ever gone that low before
Me neither.

It's tempting! I'm not desiring the ability to play AAA Shootman titles with the Chromebook, but then again... It'd be nice to have the option to take it to friend's houses to co-op or plug it in the TV in the basement to play my Steam library in Big Screen Mode.

edit: "You could just make a HTPC and carry it around!" No gently caress you I've done that already and setting it up sucks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I still laugh when I see that it has a VGA port. I know that this is desirable in a business environment where most projectors still use VGA connections, but it still feels bizarre.

We're the opposite: all of our projectors have HDMI, and all of the laptops to connect only have VGA. So each one has its own converter.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

QuarkJets posted:

The end of that article says that it should be available to purchase in October, so an announcement should take place sometime this month, probably

October, seriously? Considering that this is literally the only Thinkpad model that we know anything about, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other models aren't ready to go until November or later.

This delay is getting ridiculous. I've been planning on replacing my current laptop with a ThinkPad for a long time, but at this point, I'd almost rather pull the trigger on an Ativ Book 9 Plus instead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

surf rock posted:

October, seriously? Considering that this is literally the only Thinkpad model that we know anything about, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other models aren't ready to go until November or later.

This delay is getting ridiculous. I've been planning on replacing my current laptop with a ThinkPad for a long time, but at this point, I'd almost rather pull the trigger on an Ativ Book 9 Plus instead.

The Intel guys interviewed in articles always say "You'll start to see more Haswells in Q4, but it will take a few business cycles to really get going"

If anything, that makes November sound like a really optimistic timeframe

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Ok, if I want something that can play games a bit, is good for movies, and just generally last me as an only computer for awhile, am I likely to see something better in the price range or should I stop being a pussy and buy the drat thing

E: thing being the 410p

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeesGrandpa posted:

Ok, if I want something that can play games a bit, is good for movies, and just generally last me as an only computer for awhile, am I likely to see something better in the price range or should I stop being a pussy and buy the drat thing

E: thing being the 410p

If you want it right now, get the Y410p. If you don't mind waiting 2-4 months or probably longer, you can wait for some more Haswell laptops with Iris GPUs; they'll be lighter and have better battery life, and while it's true that their GPU power won't be as great they'll still be plenty good for many games. We still have no idea what configurations will be available, or when, or what the prices will be, but there will probably be some pretty good builds in the same price range with just Haswell Iris GPUs.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

QuarkJets posted:

I went give a presentation at a nearby company the other week and all they had ready in the room was a VGA hookup.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So has anyone in the thread successfully done the SSD + HDD to Ultrabay swap on the Y410p? The internet is full of all sorts of conflicting information on whether or not the 1TB drive that comes with the Y410p is mSATA or some weird new connector, or even what form factor the stock drive has.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

QuarkJets posted:

So has anyone in the thread successfully done the SSD + HDD to Ultrabay swap on the Y410p? The internet is full of all sorts of conflicting information on whether or not the 1TB drive that comes with the Y410p is mSATA or some weird new connector, or even what form factor the stock drive has.

The 1TB drive is certainly a 2.5" drive. It wouldn't be mSATA or M.2 because it's not an SSD. Whether it's 7mm or 9.5mm, I don't know.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

shrughes posted:

The 1TB drive is certainly a 2.5" drive. It wouldn't be mSATA or M.2 because it's not an SSD. Whether it's 7mm or 9.5mm, I don't know.

And how easy is it to swap the Windows 8 installation from the HDD to the SDD? This requires getting the key that came with the laptop and installing fresh on the SSD with that key?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
There is some utility for cloning the drive, but personally I've always installed fresh because I'm a dumb babby that can't do computers. The Windows key should be on a label on the bottom or hidden under the battery.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

shrughes posted:

There is some utility for cloning the drive, but personally I've always installed fresh because I'm a dumb babby that can't do computers. The Windows key should be on a label on the bottom or hidden under the battery.

From what I understand they've stopped physically printing the key on laptops with Windows 8, but your installation should still recognize the key from the bios or however that works.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

QuarkJets posted:

I've done this on my y410p. The 1tb hard drive is just a regular 2.5" notebook hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's 9mm, the SSD I put in its place is smaller so there's a small gap in the hard drive bay. This doesn't effect anything. Also, the actual swapping is really, really easy. Someone posted in this thread earlier of removing the DVD bezel too, so my laptop looks pretty normal.

The Windows 8 Key is baked into the BIOS, but you should fish it out and write it down just in case you need it on hand later. Here's the program I used to get my product key out:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/fr/belarc-advisor-review.htm

Then just install off a regular Windows 8 OEM disk. My new installation didn't even ask for my product key, I'm assuming since it's built in.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am looking to buy a robust thinkpadish (milspec, nipplemouse etc) setup for university and work but also gaming. I have ample amounts of money right now and I would like to buy a thing as soon as possible.

Essentially I am facing the following Problem:
a) Buy a Dell E6540 to get at least some gaming out of my new laptop (Games I missed in the last three years, the Dell has a 2GB Radeon which should run Skyrim and the likes pretty well) - 1900 € with all the bell and whistles OR
b) Wait for the 14" Dell or the T440, as the 14" form factor is better imo OR
b) Build a compact desktop computer for gaming and get something like the X1 for my mobile needs (or possibly wait for a better Haswell portable notebook alternative) 1300€ for the X1 and around 600€ for a gaming PC.

I just can't seem to decide.
On the one hand I don't need futureproof gaming capability and I play games not very often. It is nice to have one machine (and a docking port) like the Dell to do everything. I have such a setup at work and it loving rocks to just plop your laptop into the Port and use your keyboard and mouse without going through all the connection shittery. And how often am I going to use the gaming desktop? In the last three years I played almost nothing. I really want to, but I probably will have little time.

On the other hand a desktop will always be better at gaming and upgrading and a mobile computer like the X1 is better than chuggin around a 15" Dell. In three years that 15" Dell will not be able to play any new games, yet I will still have to carry it around. If I have an X1 it will not be very fast or run any games, but it is enough for working and writing for university. Additionally if I have some heavy computation to do, I would have the desktop.

How good is the current gen X1? It does not have Haswell, but it still has some good thinkpad features such as mouse buttons which will go away in the coming update (at which point the price will jump back to 2k€ as well - it is now at 1400 € for the Carbon).
I mean having an X1 is distinctly about portability and battery power. If the Haswell is a big step up in this regard, it would probably make no sense to buy a non-Haswell X1 now, even if it is not expensive. The T440s is a candidate, but with the lovely touchpad and beeing available in October, I dunno. It is only 900 €, which is amazingly cheap for a thinkpad here in Europe. This goes to show that it doesn't have the same quality as the X1 or earlier thinkpads, but maybe it's still fine. And for gaming and heavy calculations I could get the desktop PC.

I just don't know.
Ideally I would like to buy a thing right loving now.

Help,

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

arisu posted:

I've done this on my y410p. The 1tb hard drive is just a regular 2.5" notebook hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's 9mm, the SSD I put in its place is smaller so there's a small gap in the hard drive bay. This doesn't effect anything. Also, the actual swapping is really, really easy. Someone posted in this thread earlier of removing the DVD bezel too, so my laptop looks pretty normal.

The Windows 8 Key is baked into the BIOS, but you should fish it out and write it down just in case you need it on hand later. Here's the program I used to get my product key out:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/fr/belarc-advisor-review.htm

Then just install off a regular Windows 8 OEM disk. My new installation didn't even ask for my product key, I'm assuming since it's built in.

Perfect, thanks for your help :)

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop, it doesn't have to play games with ultra graphics but I would like to try the likes of the Elder scrolls Online comfortably in big picture mode on steam.

I've been looking at this. Mainly because I get 15% off and 3 months interest free.

Specs are:
Touchscreen
Intel® Core™ i7- 4700MW Processor
16Gb RAM
1000Gb Hard Drive
15.6 inch HD LED backlit TruBrite 16:9 touchscreen display
DVD SuperMulti - Dual Layer Drive
2GB NVIDIA® Dedicated Graphics
802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth

It's been such a long time since I've bought something like this and I'm feeling a bit lost, any advice would be appreciated.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The screen is a crappy 1366x768 screen, you shouldn't pay 999 GBP for that.

edit: interest?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a lenovo (pre-haswell ivy bridge) t430. I saw some comment online saying that these laptops benefit from a clean windows install to get rid of the lenovo software to increase performance. Is this true?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

redreader posted:

I have a lenovo (pre-haswell ivy bridge) t430. I saw some comment online saying that these laptops benefit from a clean windows install to get rid of the lenovo software to increase performance. Is this true?

No.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

shrughes posted:

edit: interest?

I'd be paying £850 because I have 15% off. 3 months interest free but I'd be pay £250 upfront then £200 a month to avoid the interest.

I'd mainly be using it for work and streaming on the screen, with an HDMI cable for gaming. I just don't have the space for a desktop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

shrughes posted:

The description on the page says "Full HD" which means 1920x1080. The OP should probably have a section like this:
HD 1366s768
HD+ 1600x900
FHD 1920x1080

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The description on the page says "Full HD" which means 1920x1080. The OP should probably have a section like this:
HD 1366s768
HD+ 1600x900
FHD 1920x1080

I found a link to a review here the screen is 1980x1080, which the review calls unimpressive. The last time I had a pc bought for gaming the Sims 1 and Morrowind were the biggest things around so I'm not sure how much I'll notice the difference.

How big a deal is a SSD? Having never used a system with on I can't be objective, I understand it's faster but I don't really have any idea of how much of a factor it would be.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

HD 1366s768
HD+ 1600x900
FHD 1920x1080

So it does. I was following the other line, 15.6 inch HD LED backlit TruBrite 16:9 touchscreen display.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Xillah posted:

How big a deal is a SSD? Having never used a system with on I can't be objective, I understand it's faster but I don't really have any idea of how much of a factor it would be.

It's by far the biggest difference per buck and once you've used one, it's horrible to go back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every computer I own will have an SSD from now on. It is essential.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Apparently Lenovo has switched to a different and far less impressive 1080p panel for the T530 - something to watch out for if you're considering one.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Every computer I own will have an SSD from now on. It is essential.

I'm looking about now, it feels like to get the SDD I'm dropping the dedicated graphics or pricing myself out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Buy the SSD yourself and install it. Also get less RAM. You can always add more later.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Buy the SSD yourself and install it. Also get less RAM. You can always add more later.

How will I know if I can add an SSD? I can't see any information about the motherboard on the original link.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I'm trying to find a good low-end college system. I'm going for the following:

- Around $600
- Haswell (unless battery life is excellent? Haswell's IGP would be nice)
- As much battery life as possible
- Sturdy enough to handle constant transit. It is not unlikely that this will be in a backpack I'm wearing while I run from shelter to shelter in the rain.
- Not AMD

Is there any news on the t440s, and is there any chance it'd fit these?

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16834314150 and the Dell Inspiron 15r with the i5-4100u but I don't have much experience with Dell and I've had awful experiences with Acer.

Are there other options I should be considering?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xillah posted:

How will I know if I can add an SSD? I can't see any information about the motherboard on the original link.

If it has a HDD, then you can replace it with an SSD, they use the same interface. And to reiterate what everyone else said, a HDD is the largest bottleneck in your system for most things, and SSDs are a considerable improvement over HDDs. As far as upgrades go, on any not-ancient laptop with an HDD, upgrading to an SSD will give you the most bang for your buck. They are expensive, however.

You should only look at SATA III drives, and chances are good that you'll want a 2.5" form factor. Check out the SSD megathread for more information

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hog Butcher posted:

I'm trying to find a good low-end college system. I'm going for the following:

- Around $600
- Haswell (unless battery life is excellent? Haswell's IGP would be nice)
- As much battery life as possible
- Sturdy enough to handle constant transit. It is not unlikely that this will be in a backpack I'm wearing while I run from shelter to shelter in the rain.
- Not AMD

Is there any news on the t440s, and is there any chance it'd fit these?

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16834314150 and the Dell Inspiron 15r with the i5-4100u but I don't have much experience with Dell and I've had awful experiences with Acer.

Are there other options I should be considering?

The t440s is probably coming out in mid to late Q4, and it will probably be a lot more expensive than $600.

Inspirons are universally crap builds, they can have decent hardware but they will fall apart with any regular use. They'll be good for at least a couple of years if that's all that you need, but you will probably have to do some maintenace during that time

The Y410p is a good "low-end" NVidia laptop. It's on sale through the weekend and is regularly on sale besides that

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

If it has a HDD, then you can replace it with an SSD, they use the same interface. And to reiterate what everyone else said, a HDD is the largest bottleneck in your system for most things, and SSDs are a considerable improvement over HDDs. As far as upgrades go, on any not-ancient laptop with an HDD, upgrading to an SSD will give you the most bang for your buck. They are expensive, however.

You should only look at SATA III drives, and chances are good that you'll want a 2.5" form factor. Check out the SSD megathread for more information

I'm going to need the storage space, I don't think I could use it as my primary drive. I doubt 250gb would cut it and any bigger is just more than I'd be willing able to spend.

Edit: Saying that if I looked at buying an external drive I can access through Wi-Fi for..things we aren't supposed to talk about... I might be able to add the SDD in a year or so when I'm feeling flush.

Edit 2: Would something like this be an alternative?

Xillah fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 2, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have a router that wasn't the cheapest model available, odds are it has a USB port and you can plug a 500gb or 1tb drive in to the back of it. Those typically run ~$89-100 everywhere. WiFi is going to feel dreadfully slow if you're installing or copying files, but for streaming video, well I do it all the time over VLC.

redreader posted:

Nope

Are you experiencing a slowness with your laptop? A SSD will improve load times, but unless you have malware or a defective drive you shouldn't have any reason to complain about speed.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 3, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xillah posted:

I'm going to need the storage space, I don't think I could use it as my primary drive. I doubt 250gb would cut it and any bigger is just more than I'd be willing able to spend.

Edit: Saying that if I looked at buying an external drive I can access through Wi-Fi for..things we aren't supposed to talk about... I might be able to add the SDD in a year or so when I'm feeling flush.

Edit 2: Would something like this be an alternative?

Hybrid drives aren't much better than HDDs. The SSD portion of a hybrid drive is just used for caching, which provides a speedup for files that are very commonly accessed. This could help with gaming if you anticipate only playing 1-2 titles at a time and if you don't mind that it take some time for the disk to figure out which files are currently the ones that you want to have cached.

Another option is to buy a laptop with an ultrabay slot and put an HDD in there as a secondary drive, using a SSD as your primary drive. If you get a laptop with a HDD, then you can buy an SSD + the ultrabay HDD caddy (this is cheap) and then have the best of both worlds: a SSD for performance + a secondary HDD for capacity, all contained within your laptop. The downside to this is that you either have to go without an optical drive (a great option for most) or get an external optical drive (these are cheap and very portable, but you might still prefer to have something internal). The Y410p would support this option, I don't know what the cost of it is in the UK though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

dissss posted:

Apparently Lenovo has switched to a different and far less impressive 1080p panel for the T530 - something to watch out for if you're considering one.

Well that sucks. I'm not sure how much longer mine is going to last, and I've been looking at that as a backup if the t440 isn't here by the time I need a replacement.