Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was a tech for Audi for three years. VAG makes lovely goddamn cars. They drive nice, they look nice but they break and no one can fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I don't know how the hell you can drive like this, the rear shocks in my car were worn out and I just had them replaced today because it felt like the uncle buck car. Just...jesus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBCSTQJHlg

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Huggable Bear King posted:

I don't know how the hell you can drive like this, the rear shocks in my car were worn out and I just had them replaced today because it felt like the uncle buck car. Just...jesus...

Brianne Corn can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-i2_g33wXQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bugdrvr posted:

I was a tech for Audi for three years. VAG makes lovely goddamn cars. They drive nice, they look nice but they break and no one can fix them.

Its what they get for ditching the 20v Inline 5

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Months later, and my hand is still two different colours from the burns.

Bugdrvr posted:

No, they're the best cars in the world. :colbert:

(I love mine, i will defend them to the death..)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 1, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Horrible landscape failue:

:stare:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I wonder if they were doing that thing where you rest your palms on the wheel and breath out an "oh poo poo" while staring straight ahead in disbelief and didn't even notice dumpster boulder having second thoughts at the last moment.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I wonder if they were doing that thing where you rest your palms on the wheel and breath out an "oh poo poo" while staring straight ahead in disbelief and didn't even notice dumpster boulder having second thoughts at the last moment.

They have very quick reflexes on the hazard lights, in any case.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
My friend today borrowed his parents decrepit chrysler minivan to shuttle everyone to to the movies. It rained quite a bit, so he had the wipers on.

The wipers on the van are mounted on the outsides of the windshield and face in, something got them out of sync, and they collided with each other on the downstroke:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Horrible landscape failue:

:stare:

Holy loving poo poo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o7rz0zvv8

It takes a really long time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Huggable Bear King posted:

The suspension, if it wasn't hosed before this, is definitely hosed now. But that looks more like it was caused by horribly out of balance tires.

The dealer tags just make it even better, :10bux: says that's from the seediest of the tote the note lots on Harry Hines, and that they paid something like $8k @ 25% APR. That looks like an 03 or 04..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 1, 2013

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

atomicthumbs posted:

They have very quick reflexes on the hazard lights, in any case.

If its a relatively modern car it might automatically activate the emergency lights during hard braking or due to it being moved violently to the side (collision detection), i've already seen it several times on the highway when people emergency brake for something, the hazards pop on automatically to alert others.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Gorillian Dollars posted:

If its a relatively modern car it might automatically activate the emergency lights during hard braking or due to it being moved violently to the side (collision detection), i've already seen it several times on the highway when people emergency brake for something, the hazards pop on automatically to alert others.

Just before the big boulder lands a pretty large piece of debris obviously hits the car as you can see the rear lights get pushed sideways across the road. It doesn't look like they are going fast enough for it to be the braking that sets them off.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Looks to me like he's just pumping the brakes. I may be wrong, but as far as I know the hazards flash the taillights, lights staying on and flashing brighter is brake lights.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
Backstory, I bought a 1999 GMC Safari to tow my rally car with, because I'm poor like that. That was about a year and a half, maybe two years ago. At the time I bought it, the rotors needed to be replaced so I did them. I looked at the pads at the time. There was plenty of meat left and they looked good, so I didn't bother replacing them.

About 1 rally ago, the van started pulling a bit to the left under hard braking, there was vibration under braking and the braking performance just felt underwhelming. So, I figured it was time to replace the pads, and I also replaced one caliper where the bleeder valve was stuck and rounded out. I replaced the other caliper at some point due to it sticking as well.

When I pulled out the RH side pads (on the bottom), gently caress me...

Again, there was absolutely no bad noise under braking. Only the symptoms described. loving van. Thank goodness for Rock Auto or this van would have cost me a fortune by now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's still plenty of meat on those backing plates.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

I've blown up enough two strokes to know that I'm looking at a CR125.

Did the rod run out of hours or did you twist it to 14,000?

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Looks to me like he's just pumping the brakes. I may be wrong, but as far as I know the hazards flash the taillights, lights staying on and flashing brighter is brake lights.

You've been driving American cars for too long. Cars with separate amber turn signals will usually use those as the hazard flashers, with the separate red tail lights serving the brake and running-light functions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

murphle posted:

You've been driving American cars for too long. Cars with separate amber turn signals will usually use those as the hazard flashers, with the separate red tail lights serving the brake and running-light functions.

The hazards are going. Many modern cars activate the hazards when a they detect a crash event of some description, I imagine a 5 series BMW would.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It just so happens I came across a crashed current-model 5-series on Wednesday, and yes, they do.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The driver hit the hazards so the boulder would see it, duh.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

otaku69 posted:

i had an srt-4, and i had no idea about that hidden one, it was never talked about on the other forums i went to.

People wrecked them before getting to an age point where they would begin to sag.

There's at least four good stops left in those. Quit yer bitchin :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 2, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I've blown up enough two strokes to know that I'm looking at a CR125.

Did the rod run out of hours or did you twist it to 14,000?

I don't see any heat discoloration on the crank so I'm guessing the latter. (And I think it's from a YZ125)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

murphle posted:

Even a lot of American cars split the brake and turn signals now. My car (a GM, so pretty American) most definitely has separate bulbs for each, though the turn signals still have a red lens on the rear (top bulb = turn, lower bulb = brake/running).

No idea if the accident response (OnStar) activates the hazards though.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

lol holy poo poo! wow shocks are important, I'm uh glad I got that done. My dad was making fun of me calling it the "uncle buck" car

for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFV9WVZ4cek

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe a car that large was ever called a "coupe".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Measly Twerp posted:

How many doors does it have? :colbert:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Her loving laughs after each stop makes that loving video great.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Fucknag posted:

How many doors does it have? :colbert:

It could probably have six normal sized doors instead of two.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Measly Twerp posted:

It could probably have six normal sized doors instead of two.

I haven't read anywhere that it was ever called a coupe, I think the uploader of the video just mistitled it (the footage is dubbed in German, appropriately enough). That thing would have been called a 2 door hardtop. The old American taxonomy for sedan and coupe was based on interior volume not the number of doors.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

I haven't read anywhere that it was ever called a coupe, I think the uploader of the video just mistitled it (the footage is dubbed in German, appropriately enough). That thing would have been called a 2 door hardtop. The old American taxonomy for sedan and coupe was based on interior volume not the number of doors.

If I remember correctly, whether or not the car has fixed pillars also matters. A two door car with pillars would still be called a sedan, whereas a pillarless one would be called a hardtop, and if it was of small interior volume it could also be called a coupe. I think?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Going along these same lines, how would you describe my car? (not trying to argue, I'm honestly not sure exactly what it falls into outside of marketing speak)

Its official model designation is "Ion Quad Coupe". There's also no B pillar, and the rear doors can't open unless the front doors are open. Not sure if the "quad" refers to the doors, or how many seats (the back seat is 1+1 instead of a bench, it has a hard plastic bin in the middle instead).

The sedan version had a normal B pillar and the normal 4 doors, and the sedan had 3 seat belts + bench in the back instead of the 1+1.

Those doors do enable me to carry absurd amounts of stuff that should never fit in such a small car, at least. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 2, 2013

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Raluek posted:

If I remember correctly, whether or not the car has fixed pillars also matters. A two door car with pillars would still be called a sedan, whereas a pillarless one would be called a hardtop, and if it was of small interior volume it could also be called a coupe. I think?

I think it goes:

Has pillars, 2 doors? It's a tudor.

Pillarless, 2 doors? Coupé.

Pillarless, 4 (or more) doors? Rollover Deathtrap.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So what the hell class is the Velostar, with it's asymmetrical 3-door hilarity?

Other than 'hatchback' of course.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xp67 posted:

So what the hell class is the Velostar, with it's asymmetrical 3-door hilarity?

Other than 'hatchback' of course.

"lovely" seems to sum it up.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

My grandparents had one of these:

Yeah it has two doors but once you're over 19 feet it's not really a coupe anymore.

edit: on topic coupe with mechanical failure...

dubzee fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Source: Local car forum

"So got around to doing the LCA bushings on the new whip (NJJack's Del Sol).

Before (no I did not remove any bushing before taking the pic though some fell off):"

When I saw the pics I was half convinced I was already in this thread :newlol: