Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
One of the best things you could drop from a bomber: Accelerator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
A pretty perfect :stonk:, I agree.

The MISAKA games industry speech is a work of art. Dovetails a bit with that Index extra where the five established numbers all play some siscon VN in synchronicity. I guess if you're a hivemind you might as well get some parallel processing/path exploration done!

Phobophilia posted:

I signed up for the mad unethical nihilistic science, not this bullshit.

This is why you're watching Railgun and not Index. This is the problem with the To Aru… world, it's neat as poo poo in detail but it's also full of (less entertaining) bullshit that many of us would rather just pretend away, but you can't tell all the stories without acknowledging it at some point. :sigh:

The part where Aleister loving Crowley declares war on the world and wins in 20 minutes is entertaining, though.

(At this point I am contractually obliged to point out again the hilarious detail that the Magic side of the story follows cause/effect, fairly consistent rules and anyone (except espers because technobabble) can learn magic, etc, while the alleged titular Science side consists of individual mostly inexplicable and unrepeatable one-person-exclusive miracle powers. And it's still a better story, even when/if it's due to presentation and direction alone.)

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 2, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veekie posted:

Only on the surface though. All those groups and projects are theoretically independent research teams under the auspices of the city leadership, which lets them pull the "he was acting on his own" excuse. While they have a monopoly on legitimate force, they don't claim one. A simple way to justify Anti Skill would be just to point out rogue espers and ask if the Japanese police would like to contain them or if the city's private security forces would.

Theoretically the city is answerable to it's investors and research staff leaders, but they all lead back to Crowley in the end.
It looks like what you're saying is that while the city government is functionally a state, because they describe themselves as something else they aren't one.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Just that they are an independent state in every aspect except on paper.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veekie posted:

Just that they are an independent state in every aspect except on paper.
So if an independent state is directing and bankrolling the research of the labs in order to achieve state ends, to what extent would they be considered private? I presume they don't have sufficient independence to be able to directly market their findings to potential clients outside of AC, at least not without severe repercussions like a visit from Item. They seem more analogous to someplace like Los Alamos or Oak Ridge than to Lockheed Skunk Works.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Catholic Church is composed primarily of douchebags and douchebaggery it seems

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Looks like Accelerator is getting his own spinoff manga. I don't really read manga but I might give that a try.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-26/toaru-majutsu-no-index-accelerator-gets-his-own-manga

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
And the dream for A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind lives on. (Alternative titles: My Little Sister Is A Hivemind; My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be A Clone; Help! My Girlfriend Has 10000 Clones!)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Considering how much better Railgun is than Index, I've only got hope for the Accelerator spin-off.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Considering how Accelerator is the best god drat character in the entire franchise, your hopes are probably well-founded!

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

quote:

“‘I beg to differ,’ MISAKA says, staring accusingly while suspecting you of sympathising with a serial murderer based only on your appreciation for psychotic mannerisms and violence.”

(going stir-crazy waiting for the next issue of the manga)

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

And the dream for A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind lives on. (Alternative titles: My Little Sister Is A Hivemind; My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be A Clone; Help! My Girlfriend Has 10000 Clones!)
You've been playing with that LN Generator, haven't you?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, Chapter 62. Wasn't expecting that so soon.

Slightly irritated at Touma being the the hero again, but Shokuhou messing with with him and Kuroko saving the day makes up for it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

You've been playing with that LN Generator, haven't you?

There is a LN generator? Giving the plot away in the title is a staple in romantic comedy.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

Nate RFB posted:

Oh hey, Chapter 62. Wasn't expecting that so soon.

(MANGA) Slightly irritated at Touma being the the hero again, but Shokuhou messing with with him and Kuroko saving the day makes up for it.

:science: :stonk:

MANGAalso more wanking bullshit

I am glad to have been right about how Misaki/Touma interactions would go. Psychic sniping!

THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING...

I spent the last 5 minutes guessing at the secondary effects of a 500 meter wide lightning strike. Immediate flash fires, sunburn/skin cancer and (permanent) flash blindness within a totally ludicrous area, basically it compares to the thermal/pressure effects of a strategic nuclear device. Pressure shockwave from the superheated air plasma expansion, storm-wind convection pattern as it starts rising into the higher atmosphere pulling in air below it, possibly interesting secondary weather phenomena, et cetera. "I nearly wet yourself", indeed.

Man, I love To Aru, it's so delightfully absurd :allears:

After the Windowless Building took Accelerator borrowing 1/300th of the earth's rotational inertia to smack it around* in a temper tantrum, it sure should be able to take that little strike, though.

*1.48 × 1026 joules, that's 35370 trillion tons TNT, or perhaps if you're a sci-fi nerd you'd prefer thinking of it as the equivalent of 820 million kilograms of antimatter; give or take, it's half the energy it takes to blow off the earth's atmosphere into space in one go, and as as much as the sun releases over 380 milliseconds. He packs a mean punch.

Speaking of temper tantrums, shouldn't Chairman Dearest have something to say about the Kiharas trying a full-out coup? I expect there's a plan against to exploit that, too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wolf on Air posted:

And that's supposedly only 2% of what she could do as a full on level 6 :allears:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wolf on Air posted:

I am glad to have been right about how Misaki/Touma interactions would go. Psychic sniping!

THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING. THIS TEASING...

I spent the last 5 minutes guessing at the secondary effects of a 500 meter wide lightning strike. Immediate flash fires, sunburn/skin cancer and (permanent) flash blindness within a totally ludicrous area, basically it compares to the thermal/pressure effects of a strategic nuclear device. Pressure shockwave from the superheated air plasma expansion, storm-wind convection pattern as it starts rising into the higher atmosphere pulling in air below it, possibly interesting secondary weather phenomena, et cetera. "I nearly wet yourself", indeed.

Man, I love To Aru, it's so delightfully absurd :allears:

After the Windowless Building took Accelerator borrowing 1/300th of the earth's rotational inertia to smack it around* in a temper tantrum, it sure should be able to take that little strike, though.

*1.48 × 1026 joules, that's 35370 trillion tons TNT, or perhaps if you're a sci-fi nerd you'd prefer thinking of it as the equivalent of 820 million kilograms of antimatter; give or take, it's half the energy it takes to blow off the earth's atmosphere into space in one go, and as as much as the sun releases over 380 milliseconds. He packs a mean punch.

Speaking of temper tantrums, shouldn't Chairman Dearest have something to say about the Kiharas trying a full-out coup? I expect there's a plan against to exploit that, too.

Funny thing is, due to the nature of the building's defense, no amount of raw force is going to do anything to it unless it physically annihilates the city down to bedrock in the process.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
In Anime news, I am currently speculating that Febri was an attempt to weaponize moe.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

By the way, are her lollipops made out of wasabi or what's up with them?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure they've yet to make a wasabi-based lifeform. Though some rear end in a top hat might try.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm starting to think that :moreevil: was made just for these idiots.

Also I'm really starting to like Mitsuko in this. Unexpectedly becoming one of the more entertaining cast members.

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 1, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

In Anime news, I am currently speculating that Febri was an attempt to weaponize moe.
Given the lunatics in Academy City....yeah, that's not outside the realm of possibility. What's worse: the idea came to them while they were probably sober.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

By the way, are her lollipops made out of wasabi or what's up with them?
Either they're really really really sweet or laced with something that an esper would react to. The only people who've tried it are Saten, Mii and Uiharu and the latter two had some kind of mild adverse reaction (assuming that Misaka and Kuroko's body poses in that same scene weren't from trying the lollipop themselves), so any esper would react to it. Which probably means that Saten might play a similar role to how the Poltergeist arc concluded in the first Railgun season. How the lollipops tie into Febri being an artificially created human, we'll probably find out down the line. What does strike me as odd is that Heaven Canceller (yes, that's the name of the frog-face doctor; Railgun sadly hasn't referred to him by his real name yet) simply gives up trying to help Febri after presumably one examination. Maybe he knows something about artificial humans and isn't letting on? I mean, the Sisters are technically the same thing as Febri, and he's helping treat the problems with the Sisters. So why give Febri a different diagnosis/outlook (other than the writers wanting to be done with her after this arc)?

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

ArchangeI posted:

Well, uh, they already did that in Index, I'll quote someone else describing it rather than the incomprehensible wiki.

someone on spacebattles posted:

Good Lord, Agitate Halation. It is the single most meta thing in the entire series.

Basically, a group of scientists in Academy City got together and determined, through empirical evidence, that a certain small but significant subset of the population had the ability to consistently defeat impossible odds. They then, reasonably, came to the conclusion that these "heroes" would get in the way of their highly unethical experiments.

So they went and modified a little girl to make her, scientifically, The Ultimate Damsel in Distress, so that all "heroes" in Academy City would feel compelled to rescue her. Because of course whenever multiple heroes from different stories meet up they'll get into a massive hero-on-hero brawl, right? Flawless plan!

(All the Level 5s show up. Clusterfuck ensues.)

Also, of course it was a cover for some entirely different nefarious plot.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 1, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wolf on Air posted:

(All the Level 5s show up. Clusterfuck ensues.)

All the known ones anyway. Boy what a thorough clusterfuck.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AradoBalanga posted:

Given the lunatics in Academy City....yeah, that's not outside the realm of possibility. What's worse: the idea came to them while they were probably sober.

Either they're really really really sweet or laced with something that an esper would react to. The only people who've tried it are Saten, Mii and Uiharu and the latter two had some kind of mild adverse reaction (assuming that Misaka and Kuroko's body poses in that same scene weren't from trying the lollipop themselves), so any esper would react to it. Which probably means that Saten might play a similar role to how the Poltergeist arc concluded in the first Railgun season. How the lollipops tie into Febri being an artificially created human, we'll probably find out down the line. What does strike me as odd is that Heaven Canceller (yes, that's the name of the frog-face doctor; Railgun sadly hasn't referred to him by his real name yet) simply gives up trying to help Febri after presumably one examination. Maybe he knows something about artificial humans and isn't letting on? I mean, the Sisters are technically the same thing as Febri, and he's helping treat the problems with the Sisters. So why give Febri a different diagnosis/outlook (other than the writers wanting to be done with her after this arc)?

Clones are still human. Febri is probably something else entirely, so the good doctor's medical expertise won't be of much use. My money's on her being an android.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

At least they're thematically consistent. Does AC have a staff somewhere that creates custom hardware and operating systems for all their little posses? Maybe they'll team up with GROUP :v:

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 1, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't know. I'm disappointed "Febri" isn't "Fremea". I thought for sure she was just mispronouncing her name. Either that or it is Fremea and she and the big reveal is that she and her sister, Frenda, are both artificial beings. Either that, or Fremea is artificial and Frenda isn't. It appears though, that Febri simply isn't Fremea.

The lollipops are probably composed of something that powers her artificial body and tastes good only to her. That's why she had a whole purse full of them.

We still don't know what nefarious scheme the people in the dark room with computers have cooked up for our heroine and her companions -- and also Mugino. I figured we'd at least have been given the overall reason for the attacks by now.

Agreed, if Heaven's Canceller can't handle whatever ails Febri, then she can't be even remotely human in any way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dan7el posted:

We still don't know what nefarious scheme the people in the dark room with computers have cooked up for our heroine and her companions -- and also Mugino. I figured we'd at least have been given the overall reason for the attacks by now.
Since they've made a point twice now of how they're controlling robots without any batteries and are interested in the electrical level 5s, I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess it has something to do with manipulating electricity. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 2, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Given that their dialogue keeps referencing esper powers and their dislike for the heavy reliance on them, I think we may be in for a repeat of Capacity Down from the Poltergeist arc, but taken from a different angle. Instead of making a large generator that neutralizes esper powers, the Super Evil School Nerds Squad have created these crystal rectangle things that act as portable jammers that can be placed inconspicuously and out of sight. Also, I'm expecting the ringleader dude to be a Kihara relative, because :moreevil: is just oozing from him, just like anyone with that last name.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah it was dirt obvious that whatever was in those lollipops, they were what were keeping Febri alive.

Those purple shards didn't really look like Academy tech, they looked like something you'd see in final fantasy. Maybe they're finally going to bring in the magic side of the overall story? I'm not chuffed, from what I can tell from the discussions, that's horrible side of the universe. Of course, you could argue that the Index/Railgun universe is mostly garbage, with some good bits interspersed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AradoBalanga posted:

Instead of making a large generator that neutralizes esper powers, the Super Evil School Nerds Squad have created these crystal rectangle things that act as portable jammers that can be placed inconspicuously and out of sight.
I think those are some sort of remote control/power system that doesn't rely on electricity. The show made a big deal about how the security robots had no batteries in them, and how Misaka wasn't able to manipulate the mech even though she could use her powers just fine, which she presumed to mean that the mech wasn't working on electricity. The only thing that was jammed were the cell phones.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

legoman727 posted:

Also I'm really starting to like Mitsuko in this. Unexpectedly becoming one of the more entertaining cast members.

Mitsuko has always been pretty entertaining. I'm just glad she's kind of getting more screen time (and more friends).

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Roflfox posted:

Mitsuko has always been pretty entertaining. I'm just glad she's kind of getting more screen time (and more friends).
I'm finding Mitsuko to be one of those super annoying people that you find out is actually a pretty decent person whom you eventually really like. As a level 4 esper, she's fairly kick-rear end too. I do enjoy seeing her in each episode.,

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Loved her no hold barred battle with Kuroko for the title "Most Proper Lady In Academy City" a few episodes back. Also that I-Beam combo was awesome.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Paracelsus posted:

I think those are some sort of remote control/power system that doesn't rely on electricity. The show made a big deal about how the security robots had no batteries in them, and how Misaka wasn't able to manipulate the mech even though she could use her powers just fine, which she presumed to mean that the mech wasn't working on electricity. The only thing that was jammed were the cell phones.

I think if you look closely, those purple things have a strand of blond hair in them.

Add this to the fact that Febri obviously stopped the mech somehow and the creepy scientists were mentioning how the puppy bit the hand that fed it, it seems pretty clear that Febri has some sort of ability to remotely power robots and possibly other electronics. As for the jamming of the cells phones and cameras it seems clear that was coming from the scientists in the van, as it cleared up as soon as the van left.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Currently watching the movie. It's taking a while cause the first half hour takes forty minutes to get through due to the need to pause every once in a while and sigh. Once the railgun crew show up all I can think is "Oh Thank God" And then they're used for pointless fanservice and nothing else. What a waste.

The action's pretty great, though. Movie budget and all that.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I think maybe they tried to stuff too many characters in for the big fight. Accelerator was there more or less just to punt the whole space elevator into orbit. The Sisters showed up to do nothing more than plasma cannon the robot horde. Kanzaki Kaori took a shuttle into space so she could fight missiles with a katana and then de-orbit, which was really weird since as strong as she is she could definitely have been useful at the top.

Might have been better served leaving them out for the core crew of the movie(Touma+Index, Misaka & Friends) to do more, unless they cut out a big chunk of the early part to fit in more action overall.

I cracked up at Saten suggesting that she attack the explosive bolts with a baseball bat though.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
That was a pretty okay Macross movie (with GitS spidertanks!)

The most striking part visually is how it doesn't look that much better than Railgun S the TV show, honestly! I guess it looks as good as the TV show can look when it wants to, but for a longer duration, but that's what you'd expect from a movie.

Among the downsides is as noted that it did feel like every character showed up for several repeat cameos at best. There's way too many characters in To Aru when you put the two sides in a blender like this. The manga's retcon joke was better, too.

veekie posted:

The Sisters showed up to do nothing more than plasma cannon the robot horde.
Cherrypicking this because it was among the most absurd, but on the other hand, how can I hate whoever gave them a Gluon Gun? :allears:

It's probably unhealthy how much I enjoyed their 5 second appearances. ACSHM already, dammit. Bit incongruous that they keep their Index character design here despite the Railgun S changes.

I note that Kuga Natsuki has upgraded from motorcycle to spidertank! Also, the times it rose to 42+ Mbit/s despite being a 720p version were pretty painful to my htpc.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I was hoping for more from them when reinforcements were mentioned, but the Sisters showed up too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So, raws of the next episode are out.

Hello again, Telestina:stare:

EDIT: Subs are out

So Febri is not an android, but an artificial human with modified biology, and the lollipops keep her alive (props to whoever predicted that). I do like that Misaka shared this problem with her friends this time, instead of trying to shoulder the whole burden by herself again. I wonder if Febri's "sister" is actually older in appearance, or if they were aged to the same degree. Also, can't wait for more Kihara craziness.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 7, 2013

• Locked thread