Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on a related note i did once run across a guide to like, bootstrapping your own everything starting with only wood and a knife. i never read the book but i always wanted to

the guy starts by like making his own lathe, and using thta to make tools to make tools to end up with a working smithery so he can do ironwork and poo poo

anyone remember something similar?

i wanted to do a book like this for my thesis, bootstrapping from stone knives and bearskins to an industrial economy but it was waayyyy too much work for one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
im working on a trap beat and a yostop>????

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i wanted to do a book like this for my thesis, bootstrapping from stone knives and bearskins to an industrial economy but it was waayyyy too much work for one person

you got beaten anyway (p sure this is what notorious bsd is referring to)

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Metalworking-Shop-Scrap/dp/0960433082

starts with finding metal-bearing sand and smelting it in a charcoal foundry and goes up from there

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

starts with finding metal-bearing sand and smelting it in a charcoal foundry and goes up from there

drat these own, gonna buy them all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one person wrote that whole series too so way to flake out on that

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I bought a book on blacksmithing because it seems cool.

If it were 200 years ago I'd totally be a blacksmith.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

wat about your puny frame and arms

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I bought a book on blacksmithing because it seems cool.

If it were 200 years ago I'd totally be a blacksmith.

have u actually seen a blacksmith irl ?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

Lol

Im 6'2" and pretty much all my jobs are manual labour

Not worried about being able to swing a hammer

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Smythe posted:

have u actually seen a blacksmith irl ?

Yeah

Grew up on a farm and the guy who shoed our horses made the shoes himself in his forge

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah

Grew up on a farm and the guy who shoed our horses made the shoes himself in his forge

:coal: was he buff and covered in soot and poo poo ?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

was he half-deaf and covered in burns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

see the interesting thing about human biology is that if you do something like blacksmithing for a living your puny frame and arms will grow to be blacksmith-sized. in fact they had these whole other categories called "apprentices" and "journeymen" so that you could do blacksmith stuff while your skills and body grew to fit the task

i know this is difficult to grasp

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

see the interesting thing about human biology is that if you do something like blacksmithing for a living your puny frame and arms will grow to be blacksmith-sized. in fact they had these whole other categories called "apprentices" and "journeymen" so that you could do blacksmith stuff while your skills and body grew to fit the task

i know this is difficult to grasp

this is kind of true but to an extent you'll always be limited by things like tendon and frame size

there's nobody benching 400lbs with 5" wrists

but yeah the human bod is v cool and adaptable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

this is kind of true but to an extent you'll always be limited by things like tendon and frame size

ya for that you need to get the person to start training before puberty (apprentices would start at age 10-12) so that by the time they're growing to adult size their bodies are being molded into the optimal form for the task

eg:

quote:

Skeletons of longbow archers are recognisably adapted, with enlarged left arms and often bone spurs on left wrists, left shoulders and right fingers.[23]

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

ya for that you need to get the person to start training before puberty (apprentices would start at age 10-12) so that by the time they're growing to adult size their bodies are being molded into the optimal form for the task

eg:

yup, basically it's too late for all of us

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you could still be a blacksmith just not a really good one. no hattori hanzo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I liked kingdom of heaven but the funniest thing was orlando bloom as a blacksmith

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

you could still be a blacksmith just not a really good one. no hattori hanzo

a piece of poo poo folded a thousand times is still a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

spankmeister posted:

a piece of poo poo folded a thousand times is still a piece of poo poo

wish i could fold up these posts and toss em in the waste paper bin to be picked up by the recycling guys every tuesday at around 10:30am

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smythe posted:

wish i could fold up these posts and toss em in the waste paper bin to be picked up by the recycling guys every tuesday at around 10:30am

owned

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
i'm currently down the street from jared diamond maybe i can get him to write the foreword for you

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i'm actually halfway through guns, germs, and steel right now; i had watched the pbs documentary version of it but never read it before

it's interesting if a bit dry and dated; is there a followup book that i should read after?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i'm actually halfway through guns, germs, and steel right now; i had watched the pbs documentary version of it but never read it before

it's interesting if a bit dry and dated; is there a followup book that i should read after?

or any economic history textbook

diamond has some interesting ideas but they're poorly supported. he's neither a historian nor an economist, much less an economic historian (which is its own field motherfuckers)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i felt guilty about my throwaway post so here's some seriousposting:

1491, a serious historian pieces together what we know about the the pre-columbian americas. (important thing about the columbian exchange: european explorers were basically roving through a mad max wasteland after civilization collapsed in america)

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations -- a serious economic historian talks about european exceptionalism ala diamond. unlike diamond he has the background to discuss the subject intelligently. like diamond, this poo poo is eurocentric as hell, even occasionally racist. still loving fascinating, just don't take it as the last word on poo poo

also economic history is incredibly loving contentious, nobody agrees on anything, and it gets worse the further you go back because the data is shittier. guns, germs, and steel is probably the worst possible intro to the field since it combines an untrained author, the worst time periods for available data, and some really insane, almost racist euro-centrism.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i felt guilty about my throwaway post so here's some seriousposting:

1491, a serious historian pieces together what we know about the the pre-columbian americas. (important thing about the columbian exchange: european explorers were basically roving through a mad max wasteland after civilization collapsed in america)

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations -- a serious economic historian talks about european exceptionalism ala diamond. unlike diamond he has the background to discuss the subject intelligently. like diamond, this poo poo is eurocentric as hell, even occasionally racist. still loving fascinating, just don't take it as the last word on poo poo

also economic history is incredibly loving contentious, nobody agrees on anything, and it gets worse the further you go back because the data is shittier. guns, germs, and steel is probably the worst possible intro to the field since it combines an untrained author, the worst time periods for available data, and some really insane, almost racist euro-centrism.
i read 1493 and found it really interesting, and it sounds like 1491 will be no exception. ps: i'd definitely recommend 1493 especially if you want to learn about lots of kinds of potatos.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

just catching up on this thread and came across this

Sweevo posted:

why not make a game people actually want to play? instead of "lovely rougelike #2347"

gently caress you get out, reinventing the wheel is mega interesting if you come at it with the right approach and want to learn poo poo like horsemans is

gettin caremad at the 'pos, time for a walk

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

just catching up on this thread and came across this

gently caress you get out, reinventing the wheel is mega interesting if you come at it with the right approach and want to learn poo poo like horsemans is

gettin caremad at the 'pos, time for a walk

It's ok, that post was so inflammatory I'm surprised the thread didn't burn down

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Woo MetaOCaml!

Why? Just 'cuz. For now, anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i am currently trying to figure out if putting a capacitor on the 5v pins of the SNES' 1chip (which has no documentation anywhere available) and whether or not doing so will fix the disgusting vertical line issue

look at that trash

i figured out how to fix it, finally. but it only fixes it over RGB. and while im using RGB, i am not a FYGM type, and would like to discover a way to fix it over s-video and composite for the nubs using scrub-tier A/V cables

i have been doing this guerrilla style, literally checking every goddamn one of the miniscule 160 pins individually. so far i have found that 5V is on the following pins: 10, 23, 49, 80, 100, 110, 121, and 155 of the snes' 1chip

i have so far soldered a capacitor to the 10 pin and ground and so far no fix. the pins are so tiny and close together i'm not attempting this again until i drink some soothing camomile tea before going again.

in other news i would also like to mod my sodastream, as goony as that sounds, because i turn water into seltzer like Jesus did and these replacement canisters are expensive and i read you can buy a fitting that converts the sodastream so it can use a huge as hell CO2 tank that will last literal years. but i am reading that "those CO2 tanks are not meant for food and will taste terrible and probably kill you" but i am just assuming that's Sodastream, Inc. astroturfing on wordpress comments :shrug:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ur sodastream is made with palestinian slave labor, throw it in the garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

"those CO2 tanks are not meant for food and will taste terrible and probably kill you" but i am just assuming that's Sodastream, Inc. astroturfing on wordpress comments :shrug:

either that or just regular idiots who don't realize that those co2 tanks are inside every soda fountain in the world. go to a bottled gas place and ask them for whatever fast food restaurants use and you'll be fine

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

in other news i would also like to mod my sodastream, as goony as that sounds, because i turn water into seltzer like Jesus did and these replacement canisters are expensive and i read you can buy a fitting that converts the sodastream so it can use a huge as hell CO2 tank that will last literal years. but i am reading that "those CO2 tanks are not meant for food and will taste terrible and probably kill you" but i am just assuming that's Sodastream, Inc. astroturfing on wordpress comments :shrug:

there can certainly be nasty impurities in CO2 meant for industrial use, but anything rated food-grade or similar will be abs. fine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cistps: near-final thesis draft submitted to advisors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

coffeetable posted:

there can certainly be nasty impurities in CO2 meant for industrial use, but anything rated food-grade or similar will be abs. fine

you can buy food-grade CO2 cans pretty easily

homebrew shops will sell the canisters and regulators, you can get refills at regular gas supply shops they don't care who you are

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

this is exactly what i was thinking of thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
first person that comes to me after the apocalypse hits with some used motor oil and a bunch of metal scraps gets all the good weapons

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

first person that comes to me after the apocalypse hits with some used motor oil and a bunch of metal scraps gets all the good weapons

ahh yes, lockjaw and laxatives... the great creature comforts of pre-apocalypse arkansas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can buy food-grade CO2 cans pretty easily

homebrew shops will sell the canisters and regulators, you can get refills at regular gas supply shops they don't care who you are

i literally dont even know what to type into google

"restaurant supplies" or something im assuming??