Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

SpaceBanditos posted:

I'm just awkwardly proportioned I suppose.

That's my issue with most of these little cars. I'm 5' 10", but it is all in my upper body. My legs are stubby as gently caress. Maybe I need pedal extensions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm 5'10 pretty evenly distributed and the recaros in the ST fit me like a dream. 155 lbs so I'm a bit skinny (soccer player) but the seats are wonderful for me.

ordered a Cobb AP from FSwerks today, it's gonna be sweeeeet.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

jammyozzy posted:

I've been window-shopping a few that are in my price range, are there any common faults or issues with them?

I can't really comment about size, but it is a Renault, and while much :shivdurf: about them is people who can't accept that things actually get better sometimes, they still have faults of both minor and major kinds depending on your luck. Ignition coils, cabin fan, head gaskets, electrical connectors... the list of things people I know have had problems with is long and varied, and still some people drive them 250k km without any problems at all. I think the easiest way to deal with it is; do you want one? Then buy one. Be prepared for the Renault experience, and if you're lucky you won't have a problem in the world and that's just a bonus then, isn't it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

This is more a question for Euro goons, does anybody have experience with Clio 172's? I've been window-shopping a few that are in my price range, are there any common faults or issues with them? I've been thinking about a 172 Cup because I don't give a gently caress about air-con etc. and apparently it makes timing belt changes etc. much easier.

How's the driving position for a larger guy? I'm 6'5" with ~ a 36" inseam so I'm used to cramming myself into cars (I can just about drive an MX-5), will I have any particular issues?

I am seriously smitten with these stupid little cars. :allears:

See if you can stretch to a Trophy - lighter wheels and high-end suspension, but limited edition and pricier.

You should fit, but Clios feel quite bad for the sensation of sitting "on" rather than "in" to some people. Drive one.

Airbag lights love to come on, most common cause is the lovely connectors they use under the seats, very easy fix.

A slight difference in colour on the front wings isn't necessarily respray, they have plastic panels there, and some colours seem to show a very mild difference in shade on them.

:siren: There was a recall on Mk2 Clio bonnet latches. The design is crap, and the secondary (manual) catch sticks open, so if you don't have it properly secured, there's no backup, and many an owner has received a bonnet into the windscreen at speed. It's a lubrication issue, I believe Renault replaced them for free, but it should be fixable with cleaning and lubricating. :siren:

I just bought a cooking-model 2001 Clio to bumble about town in while I decide what I want to do next car-wise, so let me know if there's anything I can check for you that isn't specific to the sportier ones. I love the fact that the top models have three times the power of the base one, it's ridiculous!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I can't really comment about size, but it is a Renault, and while much :shivdurf: about them is people who can't accept that things actually get better sometimes, they still have faults of both minor and major kinds depending on your luck. Ignition coils, cabin fan, head gaskets, electrical connectors... the list of things people I know have had problems with is long and varied, and still some people drive them 250k km without any problems at all. I think the easiest way to deal with it is; do you want one? Then buy one. Be prepared for the Renault experience, and if you're lucky you won't have a problem in the world and that's just a bonus then, isn't it?
My original owner's handbook tells you how to recognise the signs of headgasket failure. Yeah. :france:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sinestro posted:

That's my issue with most of these little cars. I'm 5' 10", but it is all in my upper body. My legs are stubby as gently caress. Maybe I need pedal extensions or something.

Sounds like you will be perfect for a 1970/80s era Alfa. They seem to suit people with no legs (at least with the RHD versions)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Is there any particular reason the Civic Si is never mentioned around here? Obviously it makes less power than the FI cars in the segment but it also costs substantially less, is still significantly more powerful than the "regular" cars in the segment and has a real LSD unlike most of the competition.

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

I haven't driven an Si so for all I know its a piece of poo poo, but from the perspective of someone whose favorite old car was an NX2000 the Honda looks like a very solid competitor in a field focused on fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Is there any particular reason the Civic Si is never mentioned around here? Obviously it makes less power than the FI cars in the segment but it also costs substantially less, is still significantly more powerful than the "regular" cars in the segment and has a real LSD unlike most of the competition.

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

I haven't driven an Si so for all I know its a piece of poo poo, but from the perspective of someone whose favorite old car was an NX2000 the Honda looks like a very solid competitor in a field focused on fun.

It could possibly be because it's not a hatch and it's not all that hot.

edit: i'm 6'9, 260lbs. I could DD a focus ST. If you're 5'11 and are having trouble finding a comfortable seat position, you would have to be extraordinarily fat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wheeee posted:

My friend has an Si, and the minute he found out I was buying a Speed3 just about pooped himself.

He is a Honda guy, loves his car, but would probably murder me to get to mine.

That should tell you enough about how much the Si belongs in this thread

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The power band says it all for me. FI gets the power/torque so much lower in the RPM range than a tiny NA engine like on the civic.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wheeee posted:

While I would like real LSD on the ST, it is a very well balanced car. Weight split is slightly better than the Civic SI. Apparently the suspension setup is much nicer into corners too. The SI with options puts it squarely into ST2 territory, which it just can't seem to compete in. The 2.0L Ecoboost just has an amazing amount of torque through the entire power band.

Also its not a hatch.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 2, 2013

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Sappo569 posted:

That should tell you enough about how much the Si belongs in this thread

But it's not even a hatch.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
hot hatch appreciation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Civic Si is a pretty lackluster car in my opinion. My mom looked at one before settling on a base Civic and I wasn't impressed at all.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
This weekend I got a lot done. Saturday I turned over for the 10k service on the car, which is all the blah blah blah but more importantly, tires rotated and oil changed (with nice stuff too). Today I decided, since it was sunny, I'd wash, clay, and wax it. I wax usually every 5 washes (maybe every 2-3 months) and hadn't clayed it yet. I figured it was high time considering I just came back from a roadtrip that put 1.7k on the clock on it.

But, in true Florida fashion, it decided to rain. Still got it done though.

I did a wash first with dish detergent, just something strong to get all the dirt off. After that it started raining, so into the garage we go for clay

clay was pretty gross after i was done

nailed the interior while it rained and still in the garage

got back outside, did second wash, wax, buff, wheels

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Looks great! Where in FL are you? I'm in Miami where it rains so much there isn't much use to washing my ST.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

Looks great! Where in FL are you? I'm in Miami where it rains so much there isn't much use to washing my ST.

Pensacola. It's not worth it at all. It looks so good now but by tomorrow it will be back to the same thing it was before: rain spots and brake dust.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Probably going to look for a Fiesta ST this weekend. This will be my first hot hatch, so I'm pretty excited.

I think I want a Silver one, I'm not really impressed with most of the colors, so I just figure I'll get something understated. I also like the way the red accents stand out on the silver. What I would really want is that yellow color from the Focus ST for the Fiesta, but too bad they don't make it in that.
Are the Recaro seats really worth $1999? I think I'd rather get a moon roof or navigation, unless the regular seats are just awful or something.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

echobucket posted:

Probably going to look for a Fiesta ST this weekend. This will be my first hot hatch, so I'm pretty excited.

I think I want a Silver one, I'm not really impressed with most of the colors, so I just figure I'll get something understated. I also like the way the red accents stand out on the silver. What I would really want is that yellow color from the Focus ST for the Fiesta, but too bad they don't make it in that.
Are the Recaro seats really worth $1999? I think I'd rather get a moon roof or navigation, unless the regular seats are just awful or something.

I don't know if they're exactly the same, but the Recaros in my focus are fantastic. Coming from a wrx tr, (which has base impreza seats) I am incredibly happy with them.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
STIG Cam Fiesta ST lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysSI-Hq6XE

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

echobucket posted:

Yeah, the Tangerine would be awesome on the Fiesta ST, but the orange they have available looks really nice in the sun.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The Fiesta ST is the perfect blend between cute and aggressive. I'd buy one if I didn't have an ST.

I found out last night that ford racing has matte and gloss black versions of the stock wheel on the Focus. I love the design, hate the color of the wheels (shows too much dirt). They are ~$220 too. I was going to get mine powdercoated but I'd rather have the originals for when I move somewhere else for a second set of tires, and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22774

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

"Bob A Feet" posted:

and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

Powdercoats cost that much per wheel? Dayum.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.
Nah, I had a set of VW Goals (17x7.5) powder coated for $300 for the set of four just a few weeks ago.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Holy crap. Went to a meet at our local performance parts supplier for the ST world. Got convinced to buy an Accessport. Went to the Stage 1 91 Octane V104 off the shelf Cobb Map.

Was grinning the entire time. It changes the car into an entirely different beast. Thrust is more like my old Speed6. Throttle response is very tight. Turbo utilized better. Go get an AP if you don't have one yet.

Edit: weirdly better gas mileage too so far.

Does this violate the waranty, or what? Is it harder on the engine or something? Why don't the automakers shove them out the door with stuff like this installed?

I assume these questions have super obvious answers, but this would be the first time I've ever had a reason (or a car that would benefit from it) to look into it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

Does this violate the waranty, or what? Is it harder on the engine or something? Why don't the automakers shove them out the door with stuff like this installed?

I assume these questions have super obvious answers, but this would be the first time I've ever had a reason (or a car that would benefit from it) to look into it.

If they can say the tune caused the issue you're having (Engine Blowed Up, turbos, expensive explodey bits) then your warranty for that particular item is voided. They can't void your entire warranty. You can flash the car back to stock, however if they want to look hard enough Ford has the ability to tell how many times an ECU has been flashed.

Most dealers don't/can't/don't care enough to look that hard.

Honestly I don't know why Ford didn't utilize some of the fixes out the door. It has to have a detriment for some small percentage of their expected buyers. Enough to leave it the way it is. Some people report issues, but this is going by car forum standards which probably means they fed it diesel and it stopped working so they blamed a tune. Custom tunes will also occasionally have small bugs that result in patches needing applied. Cobb is generally pretty fast to sling you a test tune to fix things.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 3, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

The Fiesta ST is the perfect blend between cute and aggressive. I'd buy one if I didn't have an ST.

I found out last night that ford racing has matte and gloss black versions of the stock wheel on the Focus. I love the design, hate the color of the wheels (shows too much dirt). They are ~$220 too. I was going to get mine powdercoated but I'd rather have the originals for when I move somewhere else for a second set of tires, and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

Have you checked with Tousley Ford? They offer big discounts for the Ford Racing parts too. ;)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Atmus posted:

The tunes basically advance timing to higher-than-stock levels, and in some cases also increase the redline slightly, as well as change how quickly the turbo is able to spool.

Nobody really knows yet what the tunes will do to the engine. If tuned engines start failing left and right, then it might be attributable to the tune, but it might also be attributed to the fact that a person that would buy a tune would probably also drive their car harder than a person who doesn't buy a tune.

I do know that the Focus ST has a very advanced knock detection system that remains in operation even with a super-aggressive tune. If the engine pre-detonates the car will immediately pull timing and throw a code.

The good news is, so far there's lots of evidence that tunes are safe because there are combined, hundreds of thousands of miles driven across STs without evidence of a failure related to a tune. Hopefully that will maintain as the individual engines age a bit more.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I drove the Fiesta ST yesterday and I'm sold on it. It's a giant departure from my 205 GTI, but it's easily the best of the current compact hot hatches I've driven. It feels just as good as the reviews lead me to believe.

It made me realise it's the compromises that had to be made that gives the old car character. To make the power it does, the 205 always feels uncomfortable at low revs. It's handling comes at the expense of a ride that is stiff enough to have shaken the interior to pieces over the last 25 years. It's ultimately more engaging, but less liveable. If I was able to cross shop a brand new 205 GTI and a Fiesta ST I'd take the Peugeot in an instant; but as it is I'll be happy swapping the constant unreliability and parts difficulties I've had with the GTI for enjoying a Fiesta ST every day of the year.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
One of the first '14s out there, ST3 trim with moonroof.

mmmmm Recaros. Thanks for selling me on this instead of a speed3, thread!

eta: myfordtouch is kinda bad! suuure is! I'm sure it'll be fine once I have it set up to never touch the screen again.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2013

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I"m liking my Speed 3.

It pulls so nicely in fourth on the highway. As I live right near 495 and 95 in a 65mph zone it's been easy to take it out for a spin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 4, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I like the look of the scoop on the Speed3, wish the ST had something to complete its aggressive look.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like the look of the scoop on the Speed3, wish the ST had something to complete its aggressive look.

Yeah the gap on the hood is... really weird. All told it's a very minor complaint but a couple of weird aesthetic things.

I loved driving the Speed3, it just felt like a toy inside. And I got an A-plan discount on the ST which brought the top trim down to right around a grand more than I was being quoted (not negotiated) on a speed3.

Both are pretty loving fun.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stew Man Chew posted:

One of the first '14s out there, ST3 trim with moonroof.

mmmmm Recaros. Thanks for selling me on this instead of a speed3, thread!

eta: myfordtouch is kinda bad! suuure is! I'm sure it'll be fine once I have it set up to never touch the screen again.

See if your MyFordTouch is updated to 3.62 (think its 3.62. The latest one), it really seemed to iron out a bunch of bullshit mine was doing.

At a meet with 7 STs, mine had the worst hood gap

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Took my hot hatch up in the mountains for a drive this weekend

blk
Dec 19, 2009
On the ST, are the only interior color options all black, black with blue inserts and black with yellow inserts?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blk posted:

On the ST, are the only interior color options all black, black with blue inserts and black with yellow inserts?

This depends on the trim level you purchase, but pretty much yes.

Once you get to ST3, the full-leather heated Recaros, your only option is all black.

ST2 trim you can choose the black/blue and black/yellow option.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I'm going tomorrow to pick up my race red fiesta st with nav, moonroof and painted wheels. I'm excited.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stew Man Chew posted:

Yeah the gap on the hood is... really weird. All told it's a very minor complaint but a couple of weird aesthetic things.

I loved driving the Speed3, it just felt like a toy inside. And I got an A-plan discount on the ST which brought the top trim down to right around a grand more than I was being quoted (not negotiated) on a speed3.

Both are pretty loving fun.

Why not make the hood gap as wide as possible then claim it was intentional, like lexus does.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kinda assmed it was. But then they would have left the grille open for airflow or whatever, wouldn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Atmus posted:

I think its a combination of things. Ford is probably erring on the side of emissions and reliability.

A lot of people don't take very good care of their cars. If Ford sends them out highly strung from the factory and the engines grenade after 80k miles of abuse then people give them a bad reputation, even if they waited 15,000 kms to change the oil and did a 10 minute burnout before it happened.