Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
My very first experience with brisket. And by that I mean not only have I not cooked it, I have also not tasted it before, it just isn't done up where I live. Put it on the Weber Kettle for ~8 hours at 225. It is only a small brisket, 2.2kg so I didn't need 15 hours or anything like that. I took it off the grill and let it rest for about 45 minutes, carved the firs piece off, tasted it and was instantly in love. Rub was 2:1 fresh cracke pepper and kosher salt, with maybe a tablespoon of cumin and garlic powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is one of the better looking briskets that I've seen come from this thread. Amazing work. Glad you liked it!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wow that's really pink. It almost looks like char siu.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cobra_64 posted:

A brisket off an old bull might be close to a baseball glove in terms of texture. Low and slow needs to be your mantra, you will not be able to cheat your way though that piece of meat.

It was a young animal, bulls don't live to be old on dairy farms before they're sent off to the slaughterhouse for meat, 1 year or so I think, this bull had to end his days earlier than that because of injury. I got the meat recently in the form of two big frozen pieces I think they cut it in half so it's probably 2-3 kg a piece.

The end with a noticeable fat cap and point is the one I'm thawing since yesterday now. My plan is to salt it (coarse flake salt, sounds good?) and add my own homemade rub, wrap in foil and then around 5-6AM this Saturday I will throw it on the smoker and it should be ready for dinnertime I hope.

Is two days too long for the meat to spend wrapped in foil with rub, I understand one day is good but is two days too much?

Also for how long should I be adding wood chips (wish I had whole bits but alas) I don't think you want to smoke it non-stop or it'll be too overpowering.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

His Divine Shadow posted:

It was a young animal, bulls don't live to be old on dairy farms before they're sent off to the slaughterhouse for meat, 1 year or so I think, this bull had to end his days earlier than that because of injury. I got the meat recently in the form of two big frozen pieces I think they cut it in half so it's probably 2-3 kg a piece.

The end with a noticeable fat cap and point is the one I'm thawing since yesterday now. My plan is to salt it (coarse flake salt, sounds good?) and add my own homemade rub, wrap in foil and then around 5-6AM this Saturday I will throw it on the smoker and it should be ready for dinnertime I hope.

Is two days too long for the meat to spend wrapped in foil with rub, I understand one day is good but is two days too much?

Also for how long should I be adding wood chips (wish I had whole bits but alas) I don't think you want to smoke it non-stop or it'll be too overpowering.

You want smoke for about 2-3 hours, then wrap it in foil once you get to about 150 degrees until it's done, which is anywhere from 195-205 depending on who you ask..

Make your life easier and go to Home Depot to get some chunks. A bag of hickory, a bag of cherry, and a bag of apple and you'll be able to smoke just about anything properly.

Dunno if letting the meat sit rubbed for 2 days will do anything negative to meat. Probably not.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

I don't think you're going to notice much of a difference in how long you leave the rub on the meat. You probably want to be careful leaving seasoned meat wrapped in foil for extended periods because it can react with the spices and eat small holes in the foil.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Definitely try different briskets different ways to see what you like, but FWIW, after watching a special on Franklin's, seeing him just use salt and pepper, and doing the same myself after, I have never gone back. Salt and pepper only is superior in my opinion. Just a deeper beefy, smokey flavor without other things muddying it up.

coronaball posted:

Make your life easier and go to Home Depot to get some chunks. A bag of hickory, a bag of cherry, and a bag of apple and you'll be able to smoke just about anything properly.

If you aren't using at least 50% mesquite for every beef cut you smoke, you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

Oak is acceptable instead if you cannot find mesquite for some reason.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Butt question:

I am doing two ~7lb boneless butts for Saturday 2pm. I have found that the 1.5h per pound is pretty true but since there are two butts I am not sure how to time it. Going for a 21h smoke based on 14 total pounds seems crazy but I dont know.

EDIT: Also, to truss or not to truss. I like the idea of more surface area for bark to form but dont want it to fall apart.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bunnielab posted:

Butt question:

I am doing two ~7lb boneless butts for Saturday 2pm. I have found that the 1.5h per pound is pretty true but since there are two butts I am not sure how to time it. Going for a 21h smoke based on 14 total pounds seems crazy but I dont know.

EDIT: Also, to truss or not to truss. I like the idea of more surface area for bark to form but dont want it to fall apart.

It might add an hour to the time it'd take to just do one.

Truss one of them?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I would truss them. I had one that I forgot to truss almost get ruined because it stuck to the grate and fell apart when I went to pull it off. Better safe than sorry and a few pieces of string aren't going to make much of a difference in the bark on 14 lbs of meat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

coronaball posted:

You want smoke for about 2-3 hours, then wrap it in foil once you get to about 150 degrees until it's done, which is anywhere from 195-205 depending on who you ask..

Dunno if letting the meat sit rubbed for 2 days will do anything negative to meat. Probably not.

We don't have home depot and smoking meat like this is generally unknown. Smoking meat here = cold smoking stuff like ham. "Warm smoking" which is what we could call this and for that it's pretty much only for smoking fish and there we only got alder. And only chips, never ever seen anything but chips and I have no idea where I can find chunks without chopping down and drying my own trees. I just consider myself lucky the weber dealer have chips, or I would be restricted solely to alder, I just have hickory now. Don't have mesquite but that place had weber mesquite chips for sale too.

We really don't have a barbecue culture at all here. People think grilling sausages and some pork is barbecue. That's why it took me two years to find a brisket, it's just trash to most people.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 30, 2013

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Best smoker for 300$. Go.

I'd like to be able to do both hot and cold smoking as well as it be big enough to do a turkey for thanksgiving/ham for Christmas.

The Webber's look pretty solid but they all seem to be just hot smoking, which as I understand it is not the way for fish and lighter fair.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

We don't have home depot and smoking meat like this is generally unknown. Smoking meat here = cold smoking stuff like ham. "Warm smoking" which is what we could call this and for that it's pretty much only for smoking fish and there we only got alder. And only chips, never ever seen anything but chips and I have no idea where I can find chunks without chopping down and drying my own trees. I just consider myself lucky the weber dealer have chips, or I would be restricted solely to alder, I just have hickory now. Don't have mesquite but that place had weber mesquite chips for sale too.

We really don't have a barbecue culture at all here. People think grilling sausages and some pork is barbecue. That's why it took me two years to find a brisket, it's just trash to most people.

I didn't realize you weren't American. You can still do the same trick with chips, you just have to be a lot more attentive to how much smoke is being created. Weber makes apple and cherry chips too, they come in a bag like this: http://www.firecraft.com/product/weber-cherry-wood-chips-17006/charcoal-wood?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CMrslJ_xprkCFQdxQgodBCQAZQ Maybe ask the dude where you bought the Weber if they have those, or if he can order them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Crazyeyes posted:

Best smoker for 300$. Go.

I'd like to be able to do both hot and cold smoking as well as it be big enough to do a turkey for thanksgiving/ham for Christmas.

The Webber's look pretty solid but they all seem to be just hot smoking, which as I understand it is not the way for fish and lighter fair.

You could get something like this and stick it inside a WSM. I got something similar that uses sawdust and it's a little finicky about staying lit but once you get it going it seems to work pretty great

http://www.amazon.com/A-maze-n-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377930389&sr=8-2&keywords=cold+smoker

If you want to go even cheaper you can get a Weber kettle grill ($100-$150) with a Smokenator attachment ($60), and then another $20-40 for a cold smoker gadget to go inside it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 31, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
You could just do what I did with my WSM and make a second door with a hole in it, attach it to some ducting, and the ducting to a second fire box. Alternatively, the Alton Brown method of using a hot plate full of chips/dust instead of second fire box. Now that I think about it, you could probably just toss the hot plate into the WSM itself, onto the coal grate. With the water pan in the way the top probably wouldn't get above the limit for cold smoking.

In other news, I'm trying my first beef short ribs this weekend. Pretty excited.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 31, 2013

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I hate forgetting about this thread then coming back to 200+ unread posts I have to skip.

I think I'm dough the WSM thing wrong or something. I worked 12's all week then had to smoke 2 butts for a cookout today. Got home last night, got everything going, smoker stabilized at 240, butts on still holding 240. After I saw everything was holding temp I threw a few chunks of cherry wood on and went the gently caress to bed. Tried to take a 4 hour nap but I didn't hear my 7:30 alarm. Eventually got up at 8:30 and checked the smoker. Temp was about 225, had to add water, hose the butts down with apple juice, and tap the charcoal ring a little. After all that the temp plummeted to 190 and stayed there. I added 12ish lit briquettes and am hoping I can get the temp back up.

What am I doing wrong that I'm not getting these 12-14 hour smokes without having to gently caress with anything but vents?

e: last thanksgiving my brother and I went halves on a hog which was awesome except for now I have a ham in the freezer that I don't know what I'm going to do with. The obvious answer world be to brine it, cure it and smoke it but I really don't feel like doing that. Anyone have any ideas?

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like an oxygen issue. Make sure no vents are clogged with ash so more oxygen can get in there and it can burn hotter.

Also check your thermometer to make sure it's calibrated, I had one that was broken that would get "stuck" at a certain temp sometimes.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Thanks. I don't think it's a vent problem. Every time I use it I empty all the ashes and make sure everything is open. I think maybe the charcoal I'm using might just burn fast. I started with a full ring if royal oak briquettes then dumped a little under half a weber chimney of lit coals in the middle. When I checked it this morning it was still at temp but most everything turned to ash and hell through the grate. I added another half chimney of lit and now were sitting good again.

I've been using the built in thermometer for reading temps. I have an oven thermometer but the last time I used it it was in a toaster oven with a 10/22 receiver and trigger group I had to gun-kote and didn't think it'd be safe to use. Plus I couldn't find it.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
If you're going to be doing a long smoke, you might try starting with way less lit. Like 15 briquettes or so instead of a half chimney. Make sure the ring is packed fairly tight.

If it has been burning for a while and is holding temperature, I wouldn't worry about adding water. It takes a lot of energy to bring the bowl back up to temperature, and if your charcoal is already burned down this can happen. If you're getting a hard to control spike, adding more water is a good idea. The water is just there as a heat sink.

It's also possible that the temperature spiked while you were sleeping and chewed through all the charcoal.

Just keep plugging away at it, and maybe start the next one early in the morning so you can keep an eye on it. Unless you have some sort of major leak in the smoker, it's definitely capable of long smokes.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

You could get something like this and stick it inside a WSM. I got something similar that uses sawdust and it's a little finicky about staying lit but once you get it going it seems to work pretty great

http://www.amazon.com/A-maze-n-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377930389&sr=8-2&keywords=cold+smoker

If you want to go even cheaper you can get a Weber kettle grill ($100-$150) with a Smokenator attachment ($60), and then another $20-40 for a cold smoker gadget to go inside it

Do you have to use the special pellets with this thing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Crazyeyes posted:

Do you have to use the special pellets with this thing?

Wood pellets are pretty standardized, you can find them at groceries or hardware stores in the bbq section

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there an effect to the final product of a brisket if you smoke for a couple hours to get a bark, and then foil and put in the oven for the remainder ?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Wood pellets are pretty standardized, you can find them at groceries or hardware stores in the bbq section

Could you (or anyone) comment on how much pellet is used at a time? I understand it depends wildly on what is being done specifically but, for reference, how much is used in a complete fill of something like this? A pound? More? Less? I just am trying to figure out how much should be purchased and how long it would last.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Two 7lb butts, started at 2am EST, now only at 176. I know it burned hot overnight but it seems weird that it is stalled so high. People will not be over until 3-4 so I ain't worried yet but it is still weird.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use lump charcoal over briquettes. Less ash, burns slower. Royal oak is cheap.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

Could you (or anyone) comment on how much pellet is used at a time? I understand it depends wildly on what is being done specifically but, for reference, how much is used in a complete fill of something like this? A pound? More? Less? I just am trying to figure out how much should be purchased and how long it would last.

I just packed my AMNPS with pellets and they weigh about 15oz (433g).

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

sellouts posted:

I use lump charcoal over briquettes. Less ash, burns slower. Royal oak is cheap.

My experience has been lump burns much faster than briquettes. Less ash and hotter, but definitely faster

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Same here, I tried out lump for the first time a few smokes ago and I had to replenish way before I normally would. I also was expecting at least a slight taste difference, but got nothing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah crazy. Maybe I was using poor briquettes previously but they last longer for me and I always smell like a campfire after cooking with it. My wife says she can taste a slight smokey flavor too compared to a normal briquette grill.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing my first brisket tonight. Going to do 3 hours on the smoker, then foil and put in the oven until the thermometer says 200f.

Doing to do a basic rub, salt, pepper, cayenne and mustard.

Some things I am unclear on:

I don't have a means to inject the meat. Is this a deal breaker ?

Some videos on YouTube show people using beer or other things as a liquid that they put on in the foil. Does this help with tenderness or just cook time ?

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

jonathan posted:

Doing my first brisket tonight. Going to do 3 hours on the smoker, then foil and put in the oven until the thermometer says 200f.

Doing to do a basic rub, salt, pepper, cayenne and mustard.

Some things I am unclear on:

I don't have a means to inject the meat. Is this a deal breaker ?

Some videos on YouTube show people using beer or other things as a liquid that they put on in the foil. Does this help with tenderness or just cook time ?

I haven't done a ton of briskets, but my last turned out fantastic.

I inject mine with au jus and some other stuff, but it really isn't necessary. I didn't foil my first 2 briskets. They sucked - could never get them past the stall in a timely manner, so we would eat them too early. Way too tough. Foiling is the way to go and gets it up to temp much faster. Getting the meat beyond the stall = tenderness. I think most people add liquid when they foil just to help keep it moist.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

First brisket was cooked this weekend, it was first a failure. Then a success. Reason being I had to adjust my cooking to other peoples schedules and thats just wrong, it's done when it's done as they say and it wasn't done. I put it in the oven at low temp for a few hours the next day and that did the trick, now it's falling apart and it's wonderful, possibly a bit dry but still really nice.

Some photographs from the process:

After being wrapped in plastic wrap overnight, also added extra black pepper:

20 minutes on the smoker:

Whut?

4-5 hours I think:

After that I only have this one I took last night after finishing it in the oven:

Next time I want to try mesquite, I wasn't able to acquire it this time but just hickory worked, applewood is also on the list.

I think I will also foil it after a few hours and see if that helps it keep more moisture, I wanted to try without foiling the first time, I used the drippings from the pan below to mop it every hour or so.

And no other people telling me it needs to be done now. I noticed the brisket seemed to have run into a stall wrt temperature and should probably have been foiled and given more time to get to 185F or more, it was stalled at 170.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

And no other people telling me it needs to be done now. I noticed the brisket seemed to have run into a stall wrt temperature and should probably have been foiled and given more time to get to 185F or more, it was stalled at 170.

Yup. I hear ya there.. That's why my first briskets sucked. I wasn't on MY schedule.

Pretty much everyone says that the meat doesn't take any more smoke after about 4 hours, so that's usually when I foil. If I want a good bark, take the foil off after it reaches temp and let it go for another half hour - 45 minutes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

First brisket was cooked this weekend, it was first a failure. Then a success. Reason being I had to adjust my cooking to other peoples schedules and thats just wrong, it's done when it's done as they say and it wasn't done. I put it in the oven at low temp for a few hours the next day and that did the trick, now it's falling apart and it's wonderful, possibly a bit dry but still really nice.

Some photographs from the process:

After being wrapped in plastic wrap overnight, also added extra black pepper:

20 minutes on the smoker:

Whut?

4-5 hours I think:

After that I only have this one I took last night after finishing it in the oven:

Next time I want to try mesquite, I wasn't able to acquire it this time but just hickory worked, applewood is also on the list.

I think I will also foil it after a few hours and see if that helps it keep more moisture, I wanted to try without foiling the first time, I used the drippings from the pan below to mop it every hour or so.

I have piles of cherry and hickory wood laying around, if you want I can mail you some. I should be able to fit a decent amount in a USPS flat rate box.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Tea smoked a duck last week. The pix aren't great and the duck was a over done, but on the upside - I realized that I DO like duck, but only when its grilled/smoked. It cooked indirect for about three hours with a chunk of apple wood, several ounces of earl grey, three star anise and some of the rub and a lot of sugar.

For the rub we used:
Lotta spice house Chinese five spice
Three crushed Thai chile
Crushed peppercorn
Sea salt
Clove
Minced ginger.

pears and the neck, we saved the carcass and the neck for stock.

Carved - as you can see its over done, probably 10 plus degrees

EDIT - fixed

Dukket fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

bunnielab posted:

I have piles of cherry and hickory wood laying around, if you want I can mail you some. I should be able to fit a decent amount in a USPS flat rate box.

Might be expensive to ship to finland that but I could pay shipping for a box o' cherry, pretty good for hickory already.

I'm gonna go talk to the weber dealer to see if they can start take home chunks instead.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

bunnielab posted:

I realize this may not be an open invitation but if you are in the states and willing, I would gladly accept a box of cherry/hickory and would be willing to compensate you for postage by some means if you wish.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Awesome news, I did what I should have done earlier instead of looking in stores in person like some scrub. I loving googled it and there's a finnish website that sells firespice applewood, cherry and mesquite chunks. Looks like I got my wood supply fixed now.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Got my WSM set up yesterday. Thinking I'm gonna try some chicken and pork butt this weekend. Anyone have a guide/scale for how much charcoal to use for a given time length? As I understand it chicken is pretty quick relatively (2-3 hours). I would hate to waste 12-15 hours with of charcoal to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Crazyeyes posted:

Got my WSM set up yesterday. Thinking I'm gonna try some chicken and pork butt this weekend. Anyone have a guide/scale for how much charcoal to use for a given time length? As I understand it chicken is pretty quick relatively (2-3 hours). I would hate to waste 12-15 hours with of charcoal to do them.

Poultry wants to go a lot hotter than pork, wouldn't recommend doing them together.

For poultry I usually light a full chimney and that's enough for the whole cook.

For a pork shoulder, fill the ring minus some space in the middle for lit coals, then throw 1/3-1/2 a chimney of lit coals into the space.

Also: http://tvwbb.com/