Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

QuarkJets posted:

Hybrid drives aren't much better than HDDs. The SSD portion of a hybrid drive is just used for caching, which provides a speedup for files that are very commonly accessed. This could help with gaming if you anticipate only playing 1-2 titles at a time and if you don't mind that it take some time for the disk to figure out which files are currently the ones that you want to have cached.

Another option is to buy a laptop with an ultrabay slot and put an HDD in there as a secondary drive, using a SSD as your primary drive. If you get a laptop with a HDD, then you can buy an SSD + the ultrabay HDD caddy (this is cheap) and then have the best of both worlds: a SSD for performance + a secondary HDD for capacity, all contained within your laptop. The downside to this is that you either have to go without an optical drive (a great option for most) or get an external optical drive (these are cheap and very portable, but you might still prefer to have something internal). The Y410p would support this option, I don't know what the cost of it is in the UK though

The only seller I could see from a quick google search was e-bay, If I'm pulling out more than £400 I need to get credit. I did eye up the Lenovo Y500 before deciding on the one I posted. Simply because I didn't know what benefit an 8gb SSD would add and it had an inferior processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Alright that's enough waiting for the carrot-on-a-stick T440s and the at this point imaginary T440. Ordered a Y410p, should've done that a month ago.

Lets hope I don't hate the non-IPS screen.

I'm gonna be putting in an SSD and moving the HDD to the ultrabay, which adapter should I get? (I'd rather not use ebay if I have the option)

Is it possible to manually upgrade the network card to something like the intel 6300 or one of those bigfoot killer cards?

And uh, I guess just cuz I'll feel like an idiot for no asking if it turns out that it's possible, any way to upgrade the screen to IPS?

Edit: VVV You've got to be loving kidding. VVV

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 3, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lenovo finally outs the T440 (along with a few others).

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s-t440-x240-s440-s540/

quote:

Diving right in, the 14-inch T440s represents a fairly modest upgrade, as the T431s already ushered in some fairly big design changes (buttonless trackpad, latchless lid, 180-degree hinge, et cetera). The T440s has all that too, except it makes the natural shift to Intel's fourth-generation Haswell processors, along with an optional NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M GPU (which won't be offered here in North America). The T440 is closely related, as you'd expect, with similar configuration options (optional touchscreens, up to 12GB of RAM and up to either a 1TB HDD or a 512GB SSD). The main difference is that the resolution on the T440 is also capped at 1,600 x 900, whereas the T440s goes up to 1080p. Also, the T440s is a good lighter than the T440 (read: half a pound less).

The T440s will go from $1,149, the T440 will start at $899 and the X240 will be priced from $1,099. All will be available in October.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Considering I leave for the other side of the world the first week of November, I'm really hoping "October" will be soon enough :ohdear:

e; Then again, what the gently caress, Lenovo? No 730M in the US (but offer the 1080p that would make a dGPU make sense), and then limit the T440 to 1600x900, but offer a dGPU which makes little sense at that resolution? It's like they want to make sure that it's impossible for people to get all of what they want in one laptop. :commissar:

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to try to drop a T440s 1080p replacement screen into a T440.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 3, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I am glad they got rid of the 730. It was a waste of space.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

DrDork posted:

e; Then again, what the gently caress, Lenovo? No 730M in the US (but offer the 1080p that would make a dGPU make sense), and then limit the T440 to 1600x900, but offer a dGPU which makes little sense at that resolution? It's like they want to make sure that it's impossible for people to get all of what they want in one laptop. :commissar:
You're misreading it:

quote:

Like the T440s, it's offered in touch and non-touch options, with resolution as high as 1,920 x 1,080.

The S440 is the one with the lower end screen option and the lovely AMD mobile GPU.

e: lack of any announced dGPU on the T440 is concerning though. Maybe this is what the -p model is for?

e2: wait, looks like I'm wrong and the X240 gets 1920x1080. that is terrible

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 3, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mu Zeta posted:

I am glad they got rid of the 730. It was a waste of space.
Waste? Hardly--it's about double the speed of the HD4400. Now, I'll agree with you that it shouldn't be standard equipment, to allow people to get a lighter, cheaper laptop, but I don't see the point in removing the option for it, especially if it'll be offered in other locations.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

You're misreading it:
I don't think so, sadly :(

Engadget posted:

The main difference is that the resolution on the T440 is also capped at 1,600 x 900, whereas the T440s goes up to 1080p. Also, the T440s is a good lighter than the T440 (read: half a pound less).

Note that the text-box below the T440 pictures is actually talking about the X240.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The IPS is starting to sound expensive... probably around $400 over the base model?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Haha "Hey TrackPoint users! gently caress you!" -Lenovo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Alright that's enough waiting for the carrot-on-a-stick T440s and the at this point imaginary T440. Ordered a Y410p, should've done that a month ago.

Lets hope I don't hate the non-IPS screen.

I'm gonna be putting in an SSD and moving the HDD to the ultrabay, which adapter should I get? (I'd rather not use ebay if I have the option)

Is it possible to manually upgrade the network card to something like the intel 6300 or one of those bigfoot killer cards?

And uh, I guess just cuz I'll feel like an idiot for no asking if it turns out that it's possible, any way to upgrade the screen to IPS?

Now that the T440 and T440s have finally been announced, I'm actually glad that I'm getting a Y410p.

Honestly, I have no idea what the form factor for the ultrabay HDD caddy has to be. It sounds like the Y410p and Y510p have different dimensions for their ultrabays, but I can't find what those actually are. There are a bunch of ebay ads for HDD caddies that claim to work with the Y410p, but some are 12.7mm and others are 9.5mm. I have trouble believing that either work, but Lenovo's site doesn't say which is correct

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 3, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
gently caress it! I'm buying a 410p.

Gonna play BF4 in public (on low) erry day.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's a weird time to buy a laptop that you expect to last for years and years and years. The industry is in a strange place. I'm sure the 2015 Thinkpad will be fantastic but they need some time to settle back into a groove after this generation of tablet warfare. Also it's probably best to wait and see how the mobile graphics industry pushes back against next-gen consoles. Who knows, but no one should think twice about sitting this one out and getting something half as expensive that may or may not not last as long.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

It looks like poo poo. How can you even advertise "latchless lid" (i.e. we cheaped out) and "180 degree lid" (who gives a poo poo?) as features. And hey we removed the dGPU as a bonus.

I know ThinkPad has gone way downhill since it became Lenovo but jesus this is a shame.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

X240 with a 1080p screen? With a touch screen option? Sounds good to me. The internal sealed battery sounds like a dumb compromise.

Don't love the new hinges, but I've used similar designs before and have zero complaints about them.

That awful track pad click scrape noise can be resolved with a thin bead of super glue, use it as a touch pad only with tap to click. At least they got rid of the terrible vibrator ribbed for her pleasure texture. So that's a plus.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So let me get this straight, of those 5 models, the T440s as far as we know is the only one with an IPS option, and whatever the base spec is will be $1150?

T440 being capped at 1600x900 is consistent with T430 but I was hoping for an IPS option. Joining the "glad I'm getting a y410p" bandwagon I guess haha.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Ok I'll bite. Why?
It is known that Lenovo installs about one hundred (no joke) processes in new systems. Many are definitly not needed.

DrDork posted:

But it makes sense if you do any work which requires a dGPU? Which is what T440 would be often used for?

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

You're misreading it:

e: lack of any announced dGPU on the T440 is concerning though. Maybe this is what the -p model is for?

e2: wait, looks like I'm wrong and the X240 gets 1920x1080. that is terrible

The Dell E6440 will most likely feature a fast 2GB GPU. If the T440 has no dGPU, Lenovo just hosed itself. No way in hell.

Loucks posted:

Haha "Hey TrackPoint users! gently caress you!" -Lenovo

That too. Also here goes the dream of a T440 with good lid/hinges/clamshell and locking mechanism etc. But we kinda already knew that.

Magic Underwear posted:

It looks like poo poo. How can you even advertise "latchless lid" (i.e. we cheaped out) and "180 degree lid" (who gives a poo poo?) as features. And hey we removed the dGPU as a bonus.

I know ThinkPad has gone way downhill since it became Lenovo but jesus this is a shame.

Also the non 1080p on the most premium thinkpad model. And yeah, the price. It is now really cheap, even in Europe. Yeeeeah surely the quality is still top notch.

I dunno I was really hoping for the T440s being what it is but the T440 and T540 being the same sturdy machines with solid dGPU and performance options.
Instead we get an inferior quality ultrabook and an inferior quality ultrabook which is fatter and has a bad screen

lol Lenovo

"he new modern design of the ThinkPad laptops delivers the performance users expect in business while eliciting the excitement and appeal of a consumer designed laptop."

"We would really prefer to only build overpriced consumer notebooks"

lol Lenovo

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 3, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Hadlock posted:

X240 with a 1080p screen? With a touch screen option? Sounds good to me. The internal sealed battery sounds like a dumb compromise.

Don't love the new hinges, but I've used similar designs before and have zero complaints about them.

That awful track pad click scrape noise can be resolved with a thin bead of super glue, use it as a touch pad only with tap to click. At least they got rid of the terrible vibrator ribbed for her pleasure texture. So that's a plus.

Oh yeah cool. So we're glossing over the absence of actual buttons in favor of clicking track pad zones? Looks like consumer garbage to me.

Also I still maintain that touch screen notebooks are a really stupid idea when you have real input devices attached to the display, but that ship has sailed.

Edit: Basically,

Boner Slam posted:

lol Lenovo

Loucks fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 3, 2013

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
At this point since I can afford to wait a while, I'm going to see what the T440p looks like, but the Y410p is indeed a lot better than it used to be at B&N $900 + whatever it costs for an extra battery. If the T440 uses a standard-TDP processor, it should have HD5100, at least, but at this rate I'm expecting them to announce it has a 4200U and also features an innovative, consumer-focused automatic user-blinding laser system.

All I want for Christmas is a laptop that sits between "chintzy plastic 6lb gaming laptop" and "professional business thinkpad Ultrabook!!!! at the lowest possible specs" and doesn't cost $1500. Just a basic dGPU, a nice screen, and something that doesn't fall apart when you look at it. Just one, Lenovo.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Boner Slam posted:

Ok I'll bite. Why?
It is known that Lenovo installs about one hundred (no joke) processes in new systems. Many are definitly not needed.

Whatever's running on my machine right now, they're eating negligible amounts of CPU and memory.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Lenovo haters:

If you want a 14" laptop with physical mouse buttons, there's always...

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Nevermind, the T440 will be available with a blazingly fast Geforce 720M, so the T440S actually has a better graphics card

ahahahahahahaha

The T440S has better all around specs than the T440. Why would anyone anywhere buy the T440?

Lenovo, I just can't

shrughes posted:

Lenovo haters:

what is it and does it have a nipplemouse?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

shrughes posted:

Lenovo haters:

Does it have a TrackPoint and the build quality that led me to buy only Thinkpads in the first place? Because I could give a poo poo how it looks or how terrible the marketing is.

Boner Slam posted:

Nevermind, the T440 will be available with a blazingly fast Geforce 720M, so the T440S actually has a better graphics card

ahahahahahahaha

The T440S has better all around specs than the T440. Why would anyone anywhere buy the T440?

Lenovo, I just can't

I don't play computer games. The onboard video is fine, thanks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boner Slam posted:

Same reasons you'd buy a T430 over a T430s - more battery options and a cheaper base price.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

dissss posted:

Same reasons you'd buy a T430 over a T430s - more battery options and a cheaper base price.

and here I thought you'd buy the T430 because of the NVS for CAD. But apparently it's the cheaper machine. Eh okay

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Loucks posted:

Does it have a TrackPoint and the build quality that led me to buy only Thinkpads in the first place? Because I could give a poo poo how it looks or how terrible the marketing is.

Better build quality than Thinkpads', but no trackpoint, and much more expensive. An HD+ screen. Also a weird keyboard layout.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Not really comparable then. I guess the writing was on the wall with the *30 series keyboard redesign anyway.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Well. It looks like after waiting all summer for the t440, then the other day looking into the y410p, I might actually go for the t430 in the end.
It's got the upgradability and form factor I want and I'm not really planning on much work that it can't handle.
And I am not waiting until October.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So with more information available, how does the X240 compare to the XPS12? This question is possibly to torment myself for my purchase, I already bought the XPS12, the new X-series Thinkpad is the other one I would've been waiting for.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

oneof27 posted:

Well. It looks like after waiting all summer for the t440, then the other day looking into the y410p, I might actually go for the t430 in the end.
It's got the upgradability and form factor I want and I'm not really planning on much work that it can't handle.
And I am not waiting until October.

Yeah, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Waited all summer for the *40 reveal, and now I'm back looking into the T430 and IPS X230.

I can put off buying until the end of October though. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one for cheap after the *40 launch.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah now I'm back to looking at the t530 again. I really want that 1080p screen, plus I'm not sure I could handle another 6 years on a crappy screen like the 440 has. Not sure I want the bigger size but, such is life I guess.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

So with more information available, how does the X240 compare to the XPS12? This question is possibly to torment myself for my purchase, I already bought the XPS12, the new X-series Thinkpad is the other one I would've been waiting for.

Judging by what we know of the new thinkpads, if you don't necessarily need the trackpoint and the durability, any other laptop like the xps is going to be a better value in any case. Since the reviews of the T440s (which is apparently now the top-of-the-line Thinkpad) call the durability into question, you shouldn't regret your purchase of the XPS. If you are not one of us poor trackpoint suckers, you are probably better off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Base price of $1100 for the 240 with a non-touch screen and sub-1080p resolution. Sounds like it would be pricy to match even the entry level XPS12's specs.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boner Slam posted:

the reviews of the T440s (which is apparently now the top-of-the-line Thinkpad) call the durability into question
What reviews are those?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Progressive JPEG posted:

What reviews are those?

Not much hands-on:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4679848/lenovo-thinkpad-update-smaller-bodies-trackpads-battery

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
The i7-4600U is up on Intel's ARK site now: http://ark.intel.com/products/76616/Intel-Core-i7-4600U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
In exchange for giving up the HD 5000 GPU in the 4650U, you get a 400MHz higher base clock (from 1.7 GHz to 2.1 Ghz).

The i5-4300U is up too, (http://ark.intel.com/products/76308/Intel-Core-i5-4300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz) and has 300 MHz higher base and turbo clocks than the i5-4200U. It should perform just shy of the i7-4500U currently in the Vaio Pro 13.

Both should be options on the latitude 7440.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any indication of a 540? Or is Lenovo abandoning that screen size.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
An article and very short hands on video with the x240: http://blog.laptopmag.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x240-sports-hd-screen-epic-battery-life

I have to admit, I like the changes. I want to hear/see the trackpad on the x240 to see if it's not absolute dogshit like the x440s, but now that it has higher resolution screen (and it looks like it's ips) I'll probably think about getting it.

Wonder what the b&n gold price will be, since the quoted msrp prices in articles are always higher than the discounted web prices (hopefully that doesn't change).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Base price of $1100 for the 240 with a non-touch screen and sub-1080p resolution. Sounds like it would be pricy to match even the entry level XPS12's specs.

Lenovo's "base price" is always fiction. I don't know if it's even possible to pay that amount, it seemingly exists only to tell you you're getting a discount.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Lenovo's "base price" is always fiction. I don't know if it's even possible to pay that amount, it seemingly exists only to tell you you're getting a discount.

So like the MSRP of DVDs on Amazon, I guess.

I can get Super Buddies for 67% off? I'd be a fool not to buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

I think specifically it's because a lot of corporate buyers and gov't agencies have policies that require contract prices for purchases to be a certain percent off of MSRP. So a lot of sellers just set the MSRP unusually high and then give individual consumers individual discounts.