Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I can't imagine not carrying a spare, though I have yet to get a flat on my wrangler.

The rear end end of my TJ feels too light without the spare back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really wanted one of those slanted soft tops. They look so good. For some reason I didn't like how they fold down. I don't remember why.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I finally installed the Currie Currectlync that has been sitting in the garage for about 2 months. I picked it up used but bought all new ends, it ended up costing about the same as just buying the whole thing new. The tie rod is a little more bent than I remembered.

It feels SO much tighter than the stock steering, and I got the alignment just about right. My steering wheel is now roughly straight for the first time in a year. I still need to replace the dropped Pittman arm with a stock arm and remove the track bar drop bracket, but that is for a different day.

e: Ordered an oil pan skid today :) Teraflex skid, on closeout for $25, and around $40 shipped. It's not super sturdy and will probably only help with sliding up or bumping onto things, not so much with falling directly onto the pan. I've only grazed my oil pan once so far, so I think it will be good to have just a little insurance. The site description says 96-2001 but I called and confirmed that it will work for a 2002 as long as you have a manual trans. I guess in 2002 the auto trans bolt-pattern changed.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 29, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Damnit, you got my hopes up. :(

jonathan posted:

I really wanted one of those slanted soft tops. They look so good. For some reason I didn't like how they fold down. I don't remember why.

The Trektop doesn't fold down, it just comes off. I really like the look, but I like folding the top down more than removing it so I paid too much money for a Supertop. Also there's already no extra space in a 2-dr JK.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 29, 2013

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Do frameless tops fold? I thought you just kinda rolled them up and stuffed em in a bag or something.

Godholio posted:

The Trektop doesn't fold down, it just comes off. I really like the look, but I like folding the top down more than removing it so I paid too much money for a Supertop. Also there's already no extra space in a 2-dr JK.

edit: oh right ok.

But at least you have plenty of room for the backblast when you fire your tow missile from the roof, right?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 29, 2013

PulsarD
Aug 7, 2003
Premium
Biscuit Hider

jonathan posted:

After two years of use, Im really dissatisfied with mine. Its difficult to put on, almost impossible when its cold. The rear tailgate bar is a pain to get on and off when getting into the rear spaces. Last week on the highway it was like having a spastic drummer slapping the top with all the buffeting. Everything is tight, but it buffets like theres no tomorrow. Also, the tension bar has an annoying tendency to lift out of the holder and allow the whole top to flap around.

Ive been looking for a stock soft top for cheap just to get away from it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sandbagger SA posted:

Do frameless tops fold? I thought you just kinda rolled them up and stuffed em in a bag or something.

edit: oh right ok.

But at least you have plenty of room for the backblast when you fire your tow missile from the roof, right?

Actually with the longer/wider wheelbase than the military jeeps, a JK would probably be safer. According to an issue of the Stars & Stripes from the 80s with the new HMMWV as the cover story (found it in my parents' attic), the tendency for a jeep to flip over during a TOW launch was one of the driving forces behind its replacement.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

Actually with the longer/wider wheelbase than the military jeeps, a JK would probably be safer. According to an issue of the Stars & Stripes from the 80s with the new HMMWV as the cover story (found it in my parents' attic), the tendency for a jeep to flip over during a TOW launch was one of the driving forces behind its replacement.

Oh you crazy Egyptians what are you doing with that wrangler?

:staredog:

but this is what really freaks me out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It doesn't get any better than that, I don't know what you're talking about. Launching nukes from a Jeep? gently caress yeah! :patriot:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

mattfl posted:

There's a plate you get that goes over the vent on the tailgate and also holds your license plate. Without it you have this big ugly thing on the back. Here's mine.

Don't most states require license lighting?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DILLIGAF posted:

FMVSS Standard Number 108 requires at least one white license plate lamp meeting SAE standard J587. So all 50 states require a license plate light, basically, some may not enforce it fully but I wouldn't bet on that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DILLIGAF posted:

The two bolts holding my plate on are LED lights.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Offroading is hard on a stereo mounting bracket :(

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 30, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Way too much practice results in: upper/lower balljoints (one side), weld up the grooves worn into the brake caliper guides and grind smooth (one side), wheel bearings (both sides), axle ujoint (one side) taking under two hours from the time I drove in to when I put it back on the ground.

New brake pads are at home since they got delivered while I was at work, so probably half an hour after I get home it'll have new pads and rotors and I'll have to take it for a spin to see how it rides.

Still needs new front shocks and god loving drat it, I just realized it's late Friday evening and I haven't fixed my CHMSL and license plate light issues because I forgot to all week. Should I talk to every drunk patrol in every podunk town I go through on my 70 mile commute and collect a handful of written warnings or fix the drat lights before I leave? I think I'm going to go with the latter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kastein posted:

Should I talk to every drunk patrol in every podunk town I go through on my 70 mile commute and collect a handful of written warnings or fix the drat lights before I leave? I think I'm going to go with the latter.

Drive the 6x6. :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Drive the 6x6. :getin:

I'm at work still, don't have it with me (just the crapcan cherokee), it's broken, it's uninsured and unregistered, and somehow I think that would result in MORE cops stopping me... Much as I'd love to drive it again, I really need to fix it and get it legal before I do that :sigh:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Dumb question, does my '10 Wrangler have a fuel filter? And if so, where is it?

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

I've got a 2000 WJ (4.7, Quadra-trac II and 45RFE transmission) with ~150,000 miles. I was coming home from work, doing about 70 on the freeway when I heard a very loud, single BANG, and instant yellow MIL--solid, not flashing. Engine temp, oil pressure and voltage stayed normal, I had no loss of power and I was one exit from home, so I continued. When I was on surface streets, it was obvious the trans was in limp mode. Got home and used the key dance to pull P0700 (only code).

The symptoms and code matched up with input/output speed sensor problems, so I swapped both. The trans is still in limp mode and the MIL is illuminated. The gear lever moves freely through all gears, but I only have one forward gear (3rd or 2nd, depending if I put it in 'D' or not). Reverse seems fine as well.

There is a noticeable lurch going from park to reverse or reverse to drive. Also, if I manually shift from 2nd to 3rd, it jumps/lurches.

Do you have any recommendations for next steps? After replacing the speed sensors, should I have someone reset the codes and/or force a quick learn? I've not driven it since the issue (other than a couple short test drives--under a mile total).

I'm in San Diego, so if anyone has a recommendation for a good indy Jeep shop or good transmission shop, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

velocross posted:

Dumb question, does my '10 Wrangler have a fuel filter? And if so, where is it?

The answer is yes. In the '12 the filter is part of the pump (in the tank), and I think that's been the case since at least 07. There was a good write up on how it all works with great pictures on jeepforum a few months ago, but their search engine is utter poo poo.

Edit: Supposedly you're not supposed to need to change the filter. Whatever.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

It doesn't get any better than that, I don't know what you're talking about. Launching nukes from a Jeep? gently caress yeah! :patriot:

I believe those are huge recoilless rifles - not miniature nuke launchers like the Davy Crockett system.

edit: Apparently the Davy Crockett nuke mounts to just a plane jane recoilless rifle. So Yeah - it can do either.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 31, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

chaibat posted:

I've got a 2000 WJ (4.7, Quadra-trac II and 45RFE transmission) with ~150,000 miles. I was coming home from work, doing about 70 on the freeway when I heard a very loud, single BANG, and instant yellow MIL--solid, not flashing. Engine temp, oil pressure and voltage stayed normal, I had no loss of power and I was one exit from home, so I continued. When I was on surface streets, it was obvious the trans was in limp mode. Got home and used the key dance to pull P0700 (only code).

Sounds like your going to need a new transmission. Mine did the same thing.

Sorry dude.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Sounds like your going to need a new transmission. Mine did the same thing.

Sorry dude.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the reply, though. Did you get yours rebuilt or just swap in a new one? I'm wondering if it's worth trying to troubleshoot further, or just give up and put a new one in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

chaibat posted:

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the reply, though. Did you get yours rebuilt or just swap in a new one? I'm wondering if it's worth trying to troubleshoot further, or just give up and put a new one in.

Have it rebuilt by a reputable local shop. You can do a little to beef it up but not a whole lot.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

So I have a new water pump now. :supaburn:

Thanks to Kastein and Aceofsnett for coming by Cumbys to make sure I was ok and helping me swap in a new water pump.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Another beautiful weekend in Big Bear! I wish this had come out in better quality. I cropped a panorama.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Another beautiful weekend in Big Bear! I wish this had come out in better quality. I cropped a panorama.

What trail was this? It looks nice.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Kastivich posted:

What trail was this? It looks nice.

That was taken on trail #2N68 off of 2N14. We were trying to find a rock climbing spot off of 2N13, but the road was closed, so we ended up driving around on these roads for a while. It's really beautiful out there, but just a fire road basically.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Had a moment of panic last week when I started leaking (more) oil (than usual). Uncle and I spent labor day working on it, replaced the Valve Cover gasket, front driveshaft, all U-joints forward of the TC, the passenger side hub, and the sway bar bushings, and put a LockRite in.

We also broke three bolts (how the gently caress did an AZ car get so much rust?), drove the car in 2WD by removing the front axle shafts (DO NOT EVER DO THIS), and got towed when the front passenger hub fell off the car because it's held in by the axle nut.

On the upside, it now drives amazingly better, and doesn't appear to leak at all.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Krakkles posted:

Had a moment of panic last week when I started leaking (more) oil (than usual). Uncle and I spent labor day working on it, replaced the Valve Cover gasket, front driveshaft, all U-joints forward of the TC, the passenger side hub, and the sway bar bushings, and put a LockRite in.

We also broke three bolts (how the gently caress did an AZ car get so much rust?), drove the car in 2WD by removing the front axle shafts (DO NOT EVER DO THIS), and got towed when the front passenger hub fell off the car because it's held in by the axle nut.

On the upside, it now drives amazingly better, and doesn't appear to leak at all.

This seems to come up every 6-8months.. If you remove the shafts for what ever reasons, leave the stub shaft in the knuckle/unit bearing. As you found out it keeps things together. There have been a few reports of jeepers breaking a shaft on the trail, removing the broken shaft and then being killed in an accident on the way home because the wheel fell off at speed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think it was someone who lives local to me snapped a front axle on his Niva recently. He had to pull the front axles and lock the center diff to get home. It works but you have to be gentle. I think it was the one with a ca18 turbo in it so he wasn't exactly surprised it happened.

Krakkles you were lucky. I'm sure what happened stuck and you've removed a way to die from your list of possibilities.

I love that shot with the yellow Jeep. Won't lie I'm a little jealous of the scenery.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Is anyone interested in any of this TJ stuff?

Rough Country 4" springs (I think it's 4")
Rough Country lower control arms front and back (axle side bushings all need replacing)
OE front upper control arms (1 brand new and 2 used but straight)
OE rear upper control arms (2 used but straight)
OE track bar with drop bracket (bracket coming off soon)
OE tie-rod and drag link (tie rod is a little bent)
Dropped Pittman arm (coming off soon)

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So I've narrowed my wandering jeep syndrome down to the steering shaft. Sunday I swapped in a known good steering box and my wheel still feels loose and wanders around. I'm so glad I didn't scrap my 98 yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Veeb0rg posted:

This seems to come up every 6-8months.. If you remove the shafts for what ever reasons, leave the stub shaft in the knuckle/unit bearing. As you found out it keeps things together. There have been a few reports of jeepers breaking a shaft on the trail, removing the broken shaft and then being killed in an accident on the way home because the wheel fell off at speed.

Yup... and that nut should be tightened with a torque wrench to 175 foot pounds if you want your bearings to actually last. Too loose or too tight and it'll wear them out rather quickly.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

She done busted. Time for some beefier control arm mounts :frogon:

e: Ordered from Artec - looks like it will be a good first weld project for me :) It's all been bolt-on up til now! I think my buddy that knows how to weld should probably be the one doing the welding though, doesn't seem like a good way to test a new welders welds.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 5, 2013

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
I need to stuff the biggest tires I can get in my JK before winter hits. It's a completely stock '13 Sport (2-door). I'm not going to be doing any trail rides until next summer, and I'll have a lift by then.

Would I be able to fit a 285/75/16 or 305/70/16 duratrac without any rubbing when paired with a 4.5" backspaced wheel?

Goodyear's site claims both those tires stand 33.1" tall, the 285 is 11.3" wide while the 305 is 12.2" wide.

I know there's not going to be much room for articulation, but I need to get rid of these 29" tires for something with a little better grip for the winter and I don't want to repurchase new tires next year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: You know what, just check out this thread.

V JKs have a lot more clearance. There are a lot of people running 33x12.5s with little/no issues, especially on-road.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 5, 2013

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If you have the choice I'd go with maybe 4" or less backspace. But everything I've read is for TJ's so it might not apply.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

She done busted. Time for some beefier control arm mounts :frogon:

e: Ordered from Artec - looks like it will be a good first weld project for me :) It's all been bolt-on up til now! I think my buddy that knows how to weld should probably be the one doing the welding though, doesn't seem like a good way to test a new welders welds.

Is it just the picture or does that control arm have no room to rotate in the mount? I guess what I'm asking is, how does that control arm move as the suspension cycles?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Kastivich posted:

Is it just the picture or does that control arm have no room to rotate in the mount? I guess what I'm asking is, how does that control arm move as the suspension cycles?

The bushings are a sort of reverse hourglass, so the arm has a little room to move when the jeep flexes. It's come to my attention that these aren't the greatest design, and also probably at least part of the reason the mount broke. I may get something with a Johnny Joint or similar whenever I come up with some spare $$$ and don't have any other projects.

which will be in a million years :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

The bushings are a sort of reverse hourglass, so the arm has a little room to move when the jeep flexes. It's come to my attention that these aren't the greatest design, and also probably at least part of the reason the mount broke. I may get something with a Johnny Joint or similar whenever I come up with some spare $$$ and don't have any other projects.

which will be in a million years :shobon:

Interesting, thanks. I recently replaced all of my control arms with Savvy units. Their performance has been impressive.