Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else had problems in the last few days with Twitter on Firefox? It simply refuses to render some pages suddenly, and will not until I restart Firefox. On Chrome, the same urls (user's streams, searches, and single tweets) work perfectly.

This has only happened in the last couple of days. Also Firefox takes a long time, close to a minute (haven't actually checked with a stopwatch, but it is a lot longer than usual), to shut down when I encounter this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GrizzlyCow posted:

Everyone is rushing to be Chrome unfortunately.

Is the seperate search box adjacent to the address field something that should be able to be added in with an extension? I hate the chrome style omnibar and fail to see what advantages it offers over a an address field with search capabilities supplemented by a search box It's not like I'm resistant to UI changes either, I've used Firefox as my primary browser since 0.9 and I've pretty much instantly liked all the other major changes.

They should at least give people the loving choice.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there an iPhone Firefox app, or a decent approximation? I'd like one that could sync with my desktop browser. Also, is there an add-on that adds a button for settings to your toolbar? Pain in the arse having to go to tools > settings every time I want to tweak something.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple forbids third-party browsers, so short of wrapping a slower version of Mobile Safari with a Firefox skin like Chrome, there's no way to do it.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there an iPhone Firefox app, or a decent approximation? I'd like one that could sync with my desktop browser. Also, is there an add-on that adds a button for settings to your toolbar? Pain in the arse having to go to tools > settings every time I want to tweak something.

Try the Mercury browser, it lets you sync your bookmarks with Firefox from your computer.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Thauros posted:

Is the seperate search box adjacent to the address field something that should be able to be added in with an extension? I hate the chrome style omnibar and fail to see what advantages it offers over a an address field with search capabilities supplemented by a search box It's not like I'm resistant to UI changes either, I've used Firefox as my primary browser since 0.9 and I've pretty much instantly liked all the other major changes.

They should at least give people the loving choice.

I'm in the same boat as you. I hope someone can put together a decent search box if they really are stupid enough to remove it. I've checked chrome but the only search boxes I can find are drop-down boxes that aren't quite the same.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I haven't had anything serious to edit in the OP in a while. Do you guys have any recommendations for changes to the OP to keep it current?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Fangs404 posted:

I haven't had anything serious to edit in the OP in a while. Do you guys have any recommendations for changes to the OP to keep it current?

New logo, a link to The Burning Edge, and maybe a link to Bugzilla under the Test Releases section?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've never found use for search boxes, but that's me coming from Opera where you had keyword searches within address bar. Thankfully Firefox supports keyword searches too so the only thing I had to do was removing the search box when I started using Firefox :v:

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Avenging Dentist posted:

New logo, a link to The Burning Edge, and maybe a link to Bugzilla under the Test Releases section?

Good suggestions!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone got any idea what Firefox performance is like on the 2013 Nexus 7?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ihmemies posted:

I've never found use for search boxes, but that's me coming from Opera where you had keyword searches within address bar. Thankfully Firefox supports keyword searches too so the only thing I had to do was removing the search box when I started using Firefox :v:

I never use the search box, but whenever I remove it I find my muscle memory for where the bookmark star and other buttons falls down, so I put it back just to keep everything aligned.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Has anyone else had problems in the last few days with Twitter on Firefox? It simply refuses to render some pages suddenly, and will not until I restart Firefox. On Chrome, the same urls (user's streams, searches, and single tweets) work perfectly.

This has only happened in the last couple of days. Also Firefox takes a long time, close to a minute (haven't actually checked with a stopwatch, but it is a lot longer than usual), to shut down when I encounter this.

This is still happening for me, sometimes ctrl-l, then enter on the stubborn pages helps, often it does not.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I like setting browser.search.openintab to true in about:config so when I use the Search Bar it opens a new tab when I search :unsmith:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I like the flexibility of the stock behavior. You can hit Alt-Enter to open the URL or search string in a new tab, or just the regular Enter to use the current tab.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009
Don't know if this is specific Firefox issue, but does anyone have problems with twitch.tv streams having volume bar at 50% every time you open new stream, it used to save your settings. Quick test with Chrome kept the volume bar where I set it even when I switched to a new stream. I tried clearing twitch cookies but that didn't change anything. This started about a week or two ago, before that it worked just fine.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Um, I'm having a bit of a problem with Firefox. For some reason, the default search engine switched from Google to Norton SafeSearch. I tried googling for a solution, but none of them work. I've tried:

-Resetting Firefox. Didn't change anything.
-Uninstalling Norton Toolbar--well, I searched for it and I'm fairly sure I never installed it in the first place.
-Altering program.URL. I see in about.config that I have keyword.enabled but not keyword.URL for some reason?

...Help?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Try changing browser.search.defaultenginename in about:config

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Niel posted:

Um, I'm having a bit of a problem with Firefox. For some reason, the default search engine switched from Google to Norton SafeSearch. I tried googling for a solution, but none of them work. I've tried:

-Resetting Firefox. Didn't change anything.
-Uninstalling Norton Toolbar--well, I searched for it and I'm fairly sure I never installed it in the first place.
-Altering program.URL. I see in about.config that I have keyword.enabled but not keyword.URL for some reason?

...Help?

Some questions:
  • Check about :config for "norton". Did it change entries related to the default search? (browser.search.defaultenginename is usually set to "Google", you can right-click and reset it)
  • If you press Ctrl+Shift+A (or about :addons) is there a norton Extension or, more likely, plugin?
  • If so, check Firefox's installation directory (usually Mozilla Firefox in Program Files) for a folder called plugins. Is there a norton plugin there?

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Some questions:
  • Check about :config for "norton". Did it change entries related to the default search? (browser.search.defaultenginename is usually set to "Google", you can right-click and reset it)
  • If you press Ctrl+Shift+A (or about :addons) is there a norton Extension or, more likely, plugin?
  • If so, check Firefox's installation directory (usually Mozilla Firefox in Program Files) for a folder called plugins. Is there a norton plugin there?

browser.search.defaultenginename was already set to Google, but for some reason resetting it I think seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

(Also I checked and I didn't have a Norton extension/plugin. Thank God.)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wasn't Firefox supposed to have some sort of feature where it would tell you if a third party tried to install a search tool or change search preferences?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Really annoying issue i've been having with Firefox, seems to be after last major update: if I'm in Firefox and click over to another program, say a Word document, Firefox will often pop back up on the screen a few seconds later. Sometime it switches over and doesn't even fully display on the screen. It may take several seconds for it to happen. It's like windows that aren't maximized refresh on top of what i'm looking at. I tried disabling all add-ons and no help. Using version 23.0.1 on WinXP.

Any ideas?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Niel posted:

browser.search.defaultenginename was already set to Google, but for some reason resetting it I think seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

(Also I checked and I didn't have a Norton extension/plugin. Thank God.)

Sometimes its in a system folder and the plugin is installed in firefox through the registry; when that's the case you have to open regedit look in HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins to find the culprit

WinXP is kinda temperamental with its rendering, I have a similar issue using two monitors and it's especially noticeable when coming out of standby, you can try changing gfx.direct2d.disabled in about :config (altough I'm not entirely sure if that's the configuration you want to change)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dice Dice Baby fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 8, 2013

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wasn't Firefox supposed to have some sort of feature where it would tell you if a third party tried to install a search tool or change search preferences?

keyword.url which is what it checked was removed in V23. I believe the default now is that the location bar will use whatever search is listed in the searchbar. Eventually they want you to use keywords to choose different engines. I believe he was talking about the about :home page, which you could change the search by modifying user.js and prefs.js I had a similar problem a year ago, took me forever to figure it out.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Cyberfox is a new 64-bit build of Firefox 23.0.1 optimized for Intel processors. They also have an AMD-optimized version.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Seems to work pretty well, at least the intel version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does it offer any tangible benefits over the official release of Firefox?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there an addon or greasemoney script that can disable gifs from loading and give it a click-to-play function like with youtube videos?

An example is how http://9gag.com/ does it with their gifs, I want this but for all sites that show gifs.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Pause Animated GIFS in Firefox and IE

quote:

In Firefox you can also completely disable GIF animations, or only allow them to play through one time. Here’s what you have to do:

In the Location Bar type about :config and hit Enter
Type “animation” in the Filter field (to quickly find the needed preference)
Double-click the image.animation_mode line and edit it to one of the following:
  • none — will prevent image animation
  • once — will let the image animate once
  • normal (default) — will allow it to play over and over
You can selectively play paused GIFs by clicking on them with right mouse button and selecting "View Image Info" from a context menu.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does it offer any tangible benefits over the official release of Firefox?

Well it seems more stable with my habit of having a ton of tabs open. That aside, here's the Sunspider comparison between regular Firefox's latest stable release and the latest release of Cyberfox on my computer

code:
TEST                   COMPARISON               FROM                 TO             DETAILS

===============================================================================

** TOTAL **:           -                 218.8ms +/- 16.3%   218.7ms +/- 4.6%  

===============================================================================

3d:                  *1.23x as slow*    30.9ms +/- 3.7%     37.9ms +/- 8.5%      significant
    cube:              *1.35x as slow*    11.0ms +/- 5.3%     14.8ms +/- 13.6%     significant
    morph:             ??                  6.0ms +/- 7.9%      6.3ms +/- 5.5%      not conclusive: might be *1.050x as slow*
    raytrace:          *1.21x as slow*    13.9ms +/- 5.1%     16.8ms +/- 7.4%      significant

access:              -                  20.3ms +/- 11.9%    19.0ms +/- 13.2% 
    binary-trees:      ??                  2.8ms +/- 31.4%     3.3ms +/- 33.9%     not conclusive: might be *1.179x as slow*
    fannkuch:          -                   6.9ms +/- 5.9%      6.9ms +/- 5.9%  
    nbody:             ??                  3.1ms +/- 7.3%      3.4ms +/- 10.9%     not conclusive: might be *1.097x as slow*
    nsieve:            -                   7.5ms +/- 27.4%     5.4ms +/- 29.4% 

bitops:              ??                 14.2ms +/- 5.7%     14.5ms +/- 6.7%      not conclusive: might be *1.021x as slow*
    3bit-bits-in-byte: -                   1.3ms +/- 26.6%     1.3ms +/- 26.6% 
    bits-in-byte:      ??                  4.3ms +/- 11.2%     4.5ms +/- 15.4%     not conclusive: might be *1.047x as slow*
    bitwise-and:       -                   4.0ms +/- 8.4%      4.0ms +/- 0.0%  
    nsieve-bits:       ??                  4.6ms +/- 8.0%      4.7ms +/- 7.3%      not conclusive: might be *1.022x as slow*

controlflow:         *1.22x as slow*     2.3ms +/- 15.0%     2.8ms +/- 10.8%     significant
    recursive:         *1.22x as slow*     2.3ms +/- 15.0%     2.8ms +/- 10.8%     significant

crypto:              ??                 17.2ms +/- 10.5%    18.1ms +/- 6.0%      not conclusive: might be *1.052x as slow*
    aes:               ??                  9.4ms +/- 16.5%     9.8ms +/- 10.2%     not conclusive: might be *1.043x as slow*
    md5:               ??                  4.2ms +/- 7.2%      4.3ms +/- 8.0%      not conclusive: might be *1.024x as slow*
    sha1:              ??                  3.6ms +/- 13.9%     4.0ms +/- 8.4%      not conclusive: might be *1.111x as slow*

date:                *1.196x as slow*   25.5ms +/- 8.2%     30.5ms +/- 7.1%      significant
    format-tofte:      *1.25x as slow*    12.6ms +/- 10.8%    15.7ms +/- 8.3%      significant
    format-xparb:      *1.147x as slow*   12.9ms +/- 6.1%     14.8ms +/- 7.5%      significant

math:                1.23x as fast      18.5ms +/- 3.8%     15.1ms +/- 3.5%      significant
    cordic:            -                   3.0ms +/- 0.0%      3.0ms +/- 0.0%  
    partial-sums:      1.33x as fast      12.9ms +/- 4.1%      9.7ms +/- 3.6%      significant
    spectral-norm:     -                   2.6ms +/- 14.2%     2.4ms +/- 15.4% 

regexp:              1.22x as fast      17.0ms +/- 13.1%    13.9ms +/- 7.0%      significant
    dna:               1.22x as fast      17.0ms +/- 13.1%    13.9ms +/- 7.0%      significant

string:              -                  72.9ms +/- 42.3%    66.9ms +/- 6.5%  
    base64:            -                   5.9ms +/- 13.3%     5.8ms +/- 11.3% 
    fasta:             ??                  7.3ms +/- 9.3%      7.8ms +/- 5.8%      not conclusive: might be *1.068x as slow*
    tagcloud:          ??                 18.4ms +/- 10.2%    20.3ms +/- 5.8%      not conclusive: might be *1.103x as slow*
    unpack-code:       -                  34.3ms +/- 82.6%    26.3ms +/- 7.3%  
    validate-input:    -                   7.0ms +/- 6.8%      6.7ms +/- 7.2%  

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

ringu0 posted:

Pause Animated GIFS in Firefox and IE

You can selectively play paused GIFs by clicking on them with right mouse button and selecting "View Image Info" from a context menu.

This will stop animations but I want it to stop gifs from loading, more of a bandwidth saver/loading pages quicker when lots of gifs are posted. With that setting switched to none, it still seems that pages loads very slowly with lots of gifs posted.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Im_Special posted:

Is there an addon or greasemoney script that can disable gifs from loading and give it a click-to-play function like with youtube videos?

An example is how http://9gag.com/ does it with their gifs, I want this but for all sites that show gifs.

This works by them having a static image that get's replaced by the actual gif when you click on it. There is probably no add-on that does what you want.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Crap. It looks like an Aurora update has half-broken an add-on that I occasionally use to archive threads. I'm not quite crazy/stupid enough to downgrade, but is there an easy way to run two different installs of Firefox?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bieeardo posted:

Crap. It looks like an Aurora update has half-broken an add-on that I occasionally use to archive threads. I'm not quite crazy/stupid enough to downgrade, but is there an easy way to run two different installs of Firefox?

Find your profile folder, make a copy of it, and then downgrade. You shouldn't really have any problems, even if you were to ditch Aurora completely and go back to Firefox Beta, or Firefox releases. Worst case you can restore the profile folder.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Is there a way to go back to how the address bar used to be where it always shows the current website's URL? Now it has 'search or enter address' instead of the URL and it makes linking poo poo annoying.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

is SnapLinks broken for anyone else? Tried Beta and Stable, on Aurora in OSX

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Holy mother of god, whoever approved this new click-to-play plugin behavior needs a good slap.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Oh, yeah. Palemoon has updated to Firefox 24.0.1 Moonchild has made a mod to add Panorama back into Firefox/Palemoon; its in the Release Notes page.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fourwood posted:

Holy mother of god, whoever approved this new click-to-play plugin behavior needs a good slap.

Yeah, somewhere along the path towards making it usable for people who don't understand computers they completely lost sight of what it was supposed to do in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, somewhere along the path towards making it usable for people who don't understand computers they completely lost sight of what it was supposed to do in the first place.
The Click-to-Play Per Element extension may do what you want.