Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Actually, he was "busy" in the second book (although his effects were seen, see my earlier post) and Vin cased him out from afar in the third book before choosing not to meet him due to looking untrustworthy.

In the second book he's hanging out with the terris guys, leading their refugees to safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Tunicate posted:

In the second book he's hanging out with the terris guys, leading their refugees to safety.

Yup, he was confirmed in an interview to have been the leader of the Terris that Elend spoke to when he and Spook were heading back to Luthadel after Vin had ditched them.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dravs posted:

Also in Warbreaker he is the old storyteller that they bring to the palace to recount their history. He pops up all over the place. He is even in Elantris so he has always been a part of the greater scheme of things for Sanderson.

Edit: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Hoid is a good link for him, although I started on that page and a few hours later I was still reading that site. the amount of detail 'behind the scenes' is great to read about.

Oh my god, there is so much overlapping detail in all of the books. I'm so excited to see how this all pans out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veekie posted:

The Cosmere extends beyond any particular series I think. He had it in mind since before he started his writing career, and the people who know the most about it are his beta readers. Heck, we even saw Hoid in Mistborn, he was one of the informants.

I don't think Hoid shows up in White Sands but I don't know if it's supposed be a Cosmere book and was just befre he envisioned Hoid or a stand alone story.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't think Hoid shows up in White Sands but I don't know if it's supposed be a Cosmere book and was just befre he envisioned Hoid or a stand alone story.

White sands? I haven't read that.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

White sands? I haven't read that.

It's one of his unreleased books.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it's unpublished at least. It was one of his very first and he posted it to a listserv for people to critique. I think there's still a few versions floating around the net.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

My life is incomplete without reading White Sands.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

-Fish- posted:

My life is incomplete without reading White Sands.

Even better: the capstone Cosmere series will be called Dragonsteel. Sanderson's master's thesis was called Dragonsteel, and is archived in the library at Brigham Young University.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

coffeetable posted:

Even better: the capstone Cosmere series will be called Dragonsteel. Sanderson's master's thesis was called Dragonsteel, and is archived in the library at Brigham Young University.

It has since been stolen from the library of BYU.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Superstring posted:

By Hoid. :ninja:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Superstring posted:

Apparently it's been stolen several times. They just print out a new copy.

There's a summary on Goodreads and he repurposed the second half into the Way of Kings. I believe this series is the on he shelved for Way of Kings when he got tapped for WoT because it wasn't working right for him.

And if anyone gets their hands on White Sands, I expect a trip report to be posted here immediately.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Isn't BYU traditionally a Mormon school?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

uh zip zoom posted:

Isn't BYU traditionally a Mormon school?

Yes, Sanderson is a mormon.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

But apparently not in the Orson Scott Card sense.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Sanderson is basically the most inoffensive LDS author around; he had a mild "I'm not comfortable with this" moment when JK Rowling revealed Dumbledore was gay, but apparently a few years after that, he decided that it doesn't matter anymore. He doesn't spout political views every chance he gets, he's got relatively strong female characters for a fantasy author, he allows for the existence of multiple religions in a setting that are all treated sympathetically, and he even has one of his major characters become an atheist for a while.

I'm a Mormon wannabe writer who hates Orson Scott Card's crazy viewpoints, so naturally Sanderson is a hero to me.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, Sanderson seems to be interested in the idea of religion more than actually practicing & preaching, as evidenced by literally watching a christ-like legend be created in Mistborn, fallible & limited "gods" in Warbreaker, God literally being murdered in Way of Kings, etc etc.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The entire Cosmere starts with the creator dying, even.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The Emperor's Soul won a Hugo tonight. Absolutely deserving of it, I'd say. I literally couldn't put it down and read the entire thing in one sitting -- it was extremely well-written and engaging.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Aggro posted:

The Emperor's Soul won a Hugo tonight.

And so did his Writing Excuses podcast.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aggro posted:

The Emperor's Soul won a Hugo tonight. Absolutely deserving of it, I'd say. I literally couldn't put it down and read the entire thing in one sitting -- it was extremely well-written and engaging.

That's great to hear, I absolutely loved The Emperor's Soul.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hot drat, just finally finished reading The Way of Kings a few minutes ago, got a bunch of thoughts and questions flying through my head, I'm just gonna put everything below in spoilers just to be safe.

The last 150 pages or so were absolutely intense, so much questions and plot points being raised. So are we definitely sure that the parshmen are potential voidbringers? Where does that leave the Parshendi? Judging by all the talk of honor and how the Parshendi actually seemed intelligent and noble in a sense by Kaladin and Dalinar, they don't really seem evil at all. Is Taravangian just pure evil? The guy does not sound like someone looking out for people's best interests. Is he a puppet of Odium or something? Also, I keep hearing that all of Brandon Sanderson's works take place within a place he calls the cosmere. Is the Almighty of The Way of Kings the same god in all his other stories? I haven't read any of his other works yet, but I definitely plan on it. Are there different creation stories for each of his series, or is there some sort of running theme that there's a God who is dead in his other novels?

Eitherway, awesome read, and the appearance of the last remaining herald at the very end of the novel left me with chills.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Dark Wind posted:

Hot drat, just finally finished reading The Way of Kings a few minutes ago, got a bunch of thoughts and questions flying through my head, I'm just gonna put everything below in spoilers just to be safe.

The last 150 pages or so were absolutely intense, so much questions and plot points being raised. So are we definitely sure that the parshmen are potential voidbringers? Where does that leave the Parshendi? Judging by all the talk of honor and how the Parshendi actually seemed intelligent and noble in a sense by Kaladin and Dalinar, they don't really seem evil at all.

It's plausible that this is a red herring of some sort. Also we really don't know that much about the Parshendi society, but I think we're getting some POV of one of them in an interlude in the next book.

quote:

Is Taravangian just pure evil? The guy does not sound like someone looking out for people's best interests. Is he a puppet of Odium or something?

He's got something of the right original intentions, but went off the rails at some point. I'd say he's simply being set up as a lesser villain role at this point. We don't really know what Odium is all about so I wouldn't say Taravangian is going to be a puppet.

quote:

Also, I keep hearing that all of Brandon Sanderson's works take place within a place he calls the cosmere. Is the Almighty of The Way of Kings the same god in all his other stories? I haven't read any of his other works yet, but I definitely plan on it. Are there different creation stories for each of his series, or is there some sort of running theme that there's a God who is dead in his other novels?

Eitherway, awesome read, and the appearance of the last remaining herald at the very end of the novel left me with chills.

Each God of each of his books is one of 16 aspects or Shards of the original fallen god, so the Almighty in Way of Kings is the Shard of Honor. You'll see some of the other Shards in his other books and get a feel for how they work.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks, that definitely answers most of my questions. I feel that the parshmen being voidbringers was just way too obvious of a "twist," it was definitely a thought that popped up into my head when I was halfway in, but it just didn't feel believable.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the other hand, I don't necessarily expect a major twist in book 1 of a giant series to come out of no where. You can get away with that when you have a ton of books with clues that make sense in retrospect, but pull that in book 1 and it seems like your pulling things out of your rear end

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

api call girl posted:

It's plausible that this is a red herring of some sort. Also we really don't know that much about the Parshendi society, but I think we're getting some POV of one of them in an interlude in the next book.

He's got something of the right original intentions, but went off the rails at some point. I'd say he's simply being set up as a lesser villain role at this point. We don't really know what Odium is all about so I wouldn't say Taravangian is going to be a puppet.

Each God of each of his books is one of 16 aspects or Shards of the original fallen god, so the Almighty in Way of Kings is the Shard of Honor. You'll see some of the other Shards in his other books and get a feel for how they work.

Actually, Odium is a fragment of the sixteen pieces of godhood that created the cosmere Brandon Sanderson write's all his books in. Odium was apparently a mother fucker before he ever got his fragment, which was Odium (defined as: general widespread hatred or disgust), so he's basically the most powerful, evil thing in existence. From what people have gathered, Wit/Hoid/Other names in other books, has been working across realities to put a stop to his reign. What's really awesome is that apparently all the books will tie together eventually and lead to a final confrontation with Odium, presumably at the end of the stormlight archives series.

Fact.

Edit: I don't know why I put an apostrophe in writes.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fezz posted:

And if anyone gets their hands on White Sands, I expect a trip report to be posted here immediately.

It's not bad, definitely feels like an early work. All the normal criticisms of Sanderson are present, character-wise the protagonist are basically a carbon copy of the ones from Elantris. The world was acually pretty interesting, but the story itself kind of felt like a Star Wars/Dune mash up.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Actually, Odium is a fragment of the sixteen pieces of godhood that created the cosmere Brandon Sanderson write's all his books in. Odium was apparently a mother fucker before he ever got his fragment, which was Odium (defined as: general widespread hatred or disgust), so he's basically the most powerful, evil thing in existence. From what people have gathered, Wit/Hoid/Other names in other books, has been working across realities to put a stop to his reign. What's really awesome is that apparently all the books will tie together eventually and lead to a final confrontation with Odium, presumably at the end of the stormlight archives series.

Fact.

That might easily be the most epic thing I have ever heard. Good thing I have about a decade or so to read everything else he's ever written, but at the pace he writes at, trying to catch up might not actually be as simple as it sounds.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

That might easily be the most epic thing I have ever heard. Good thing I have about a decade or so to read everything else he's ever written, but at the pace he writes at, trying to catch up might not actually be as simple as it sounds.

I'm betting that some of us will die before he finishes. Scary thought.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I finally got my hands on and read The Emperor's Soul yesterday, and that is a fantastic little book. Consistent, snappy pace, great characters and story, interesting concept, and exciting action as payoff. Seems like Sanderson's pretty loving good at novellas.

E: also, I liked the possible Hrathen cameo near the end. I suppose it could be any red-armored priest, but I Want To Believe.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Seems like Sanderson's pretty loving good at novellas.

If you haven't read Firstborn yet you should give it a go. Sandersons first foray into Sci-Fi and it has such an amazing ending.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dravs posted:

If you haven't read Firstborn yet you should give it a go. Sandersons first foray into Sci-Fi and it has such an amazing ending.

Ooh, I haven't. Is it published?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not bad, definitely feels like an early work. All the normal criticisms of Sanderson are present, character-wise the protagonist are basically a carbon copy of the ones from Elantris. The world was acually pretty interesting, but the story itself kind of felt like a Star Wars/Dune mash up.

It's all the normal Sanderson problems taken up to eleven. I did find it kinda hilarious that literally everyone who could possibly be a traitor was a traitor.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yes. I, at least, got it on Kindle.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep, Firstborn is a book I read and finished in about an hour and a half (75 pages), but I finished and said 'holy poo poo I want Brandon Sanderson to write more Sci Fi.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Here it is on Tor's website:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/12/firstborn

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone! Somehow I had never even heard of it before.

And thanks for this!

Also, Sanderson's website has been redesigned! Hooray!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone! Somehow I had never even heard of it before.

And thanks for this!

Also, Sanderson's website has been redesigned! Hooray!

He looks so happy with those Hugos. I know I would be too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And to continue the Steelheart pimping started by the site redesign, have a new trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

He looks so happy with those Hugos. I know I would be too.

I like how he has a pen in his pocket. Because you know he probably cranked out another novella on the back of his placemat while he waited for the other awards to be presented.