Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Blooot posted:

I'm sure it's fine. DV just can't help but sound this way when he posts.

Says the king of the yuppie hipsters from his neo-SoHo ivory tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Had an awesome HPDE up at BIR yesterday. My instructor had one other student, so I did my first session solo. Second session, the instructor basically told me he had nothing to say other than to continue refining my line and technique. I took it as a pretty major compliment. He was thrilled to see someone "my age" both driving a manual and heel-toeing. I ran solo for the rest of the day.

I only had one fuckup, where I missed toeing the throttle on a downshift, but dropped the clutch anyway. Didn't like that one bit.

An incident later in the day took one of my six 25-minute sessions, otherwise I drove all of the remaining five. It was a pretty lovely feeling standing near the pits, hearing the tires scream, followed by a pregnant half-second pause, then a "Bang!" from across the track. Driver walked, but I think his new-looking, bright green Mustang was totaled. That scared any thought of disabling traction control out of my mind for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, there was a DB9 in the beginner (my) run group, which I actually managed to outrun in my Z4 3.0si. Someone in the intermediate group had an SLS AMG. The advanced group had a handful of race prepped Miatas and an E30, among other things.

Really fun day! Probably my one-and-only for the year. Next year I'm hoping to prep a car for ChumpCar 2015.

Edit: Couple photos in the Awesome Stuff thread

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2013

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

You can see me lurking menacingly in the background. The colors in the full resolution version of this photo are amazing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Does anyone happen to run TT with NASA SE or Mid-Atlantic? Have some questions on their format.

Also getting on track this weekend for the first time this year. I'm basically a virgin again it's been so long.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any goons been to Watkins Glen in New York? I'm moving to Buffalo soon, looks like that's the only track that isn't just a stupid loving oval.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab669 posted:

Have any goons been to Watkins Glen in New York? I'm moving to Buffalo soon, looks like that's the only track that isn't just a stupid loving oval.

Never been there, but it is a legend. I've heard the surface is fairly rough.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

nm posted:

Never been there, but it is a legend. I've heard the surface is fairly rough.

to be fair pretty much any track where it freezes on a regular basis is rough.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

Had an awesome HPDE up at BIR yesterday. My instructor had one other student, so I did my first session solo. Second session, the instructor basically told me he had nothing to say other than to continue refining my line and technique. I took it as a pretty major compliment. He was thrilled to see someone "my age" both driving a manual and heel-toeing. I ran solo for the rest of the day.

I only had one fuckup, where I missed toeing the throttle on a downshift, but dropped the clutch anyway. Didn't like that one bit.

An incident later in the day took one of my six 25-minute sessions, otherwise I drove all of the remaining five. It was a pretty lovely feeling standing near the pits, hearing the tires scream, followed by a pregnant half-second pause, then a "Bang!" from across the track. Driver walked, but I think his new-looking, bright green Mustang was totaled. That scared any thought of disabling traction control out of my mind for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, there was a DB9 in the beginner (my) run group, which I actually managed to outrun in my Z4 3.0si. Someone in the intermediate group had an SLS AMG. The advanced group had a handful of race prepped Miatas and an E30, among other things.

Really fun day! Probably my one-and-only for the year. Next year I'm hoping to prep a car for ChumpCar 2015.

BIR is a great track, did you run the competition/short course or the long? As for traction control I wouldn't bother disabling it until it starts to be a nuisance or you feel it kicking in and disrupting the balance of the car. The traction control on the newer BMW's is pretty decent and will let you play around a bit before it kicks in.

Instead of prepping a car for Chump ($$$) I'd see about renting a spot on an team for an event. I'll recommend Northloop Motorsports (http://northloopmotorsport.com/) because I'm good friends with the owner, they are running my old E30 and my Dad and I did our first Chump race with them.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I went about 5 years ago for a PCA event when I was studying in Rochester. I remember the track being an absolute blast especially w/ all the elevation. I highly recommend you make it out for a DE event there.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
anyone (besides me) doing the scda nhms event on sept 30th? its my first track event, done only autox thus far. I'll be there in my 05 sti

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Sab669 posted:

I love tracking at Watkins Glen late September/early October more than life itself. Its easily my favorite track in the northeast and is complex enough to keep you occupied for years. Make sure to stop by Seneca Lodge, there is a ton of motorsports history in the bar alone.

Also if you are going to be in Buffalo, Mosport isn't that far of a drive.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

j3rkstore posted:

I love tracking at Watkins Glen late September/early October more than life itself. Its easily my favorite track in the northeast and is complex enough to keep you occupied for years. Make sure to stop by Seneca Lodge, there is a ton of motorsports history in the bar alone.

Also if you are going to be in Buffalo, Mosport isn't that far of a drive.

Cool, thanks for the tip :)
I was debating on whether or not I should bother getting a passport, but I guess that settles it!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone have any thoughts on hawk HTC pads? Looking for a track only pad at a semi-reasonable price after discovering how bad an idea street pads were for a lapping day. Tirerack actually happens to carry them and it's nice to know the upfront cost getting them across the border. I've been told PFCs are fantastic, but I'm not looking to jump into something THAT expensive right away.

Octopus Magic posted:

to be fair pretty much any track where it freezes on a regular basis is rough.

Tell me about it. Here's a vid from my local track. Try to count all the cracks. It gets pretty rough on the back straight when you get up above 140kph. And yes, my lines are absolute poo poo.

For a bonus, watch an MR2 spin out in the slowest corner at 12 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6rwc--QUo

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 4, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're up in Canada, it might be more pricey, but check out https://www.knsbrakes.com . I've been happy with the DTC-60s on the Mazda2 and the Miata, if you need more torque there are the DTC-70s.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Tell me about it. Here's a vid from my local track. Try to count all the cracks. It gets pretty rough on the back straight when you get up above 140kph. And yes, my lines are absolute poo poo.

You're paying for the whole track, use it!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

rotard posted:

anyone (besides me) doing the scda nhms event on sept 30th? its my first track event, done only autox thus far. I'll be there in my 05 sti

295 per day? I get two days with COM for 400!

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Phone posted:

If you're up in Canada, it might be more pricey, but check out https://www.knsbrakes.com . I've been happy with the DTC-60s on the Mazda2 and the Miata, if you need more torque there are the DTC-70s.

And the fellas at KNS are great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I usually use Dales Alignment & Brake in Surrey for brake parts on this side of the border. Give Jason a call and see if he can make it happen for you.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I used to pick up brake pads at the guy's house. KNS was run out of his garage.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

295 per day? I get two days with COM for 400!

well I got it for 265 due to subie discount, and I also get 3 classes that day. only downside to com is that com days are the same day as autox at nhms, and I'm not in the position to do events out of state

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

BIR is a great track, did you run the competition/short course or the long? As for traction control I wouldn't bother disabling it until it starts to be a nuisance or you feel it kicking in and disrupting the balance of the car. The traction control on the newer BMW's is pretty decent and will let you play around a bit before it kicks in.

All three times I've been up it's been the competition course. The mile long front straight of the long course both interests and scares me.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Instead of prepping a car for Chump ($$$) I'd see about renting a spot on an team for an event. I'll recommend Northloop Motorsports (http://northloopmotorsport.com/) because I'm good friends with the owner, they are running my old E30 and my Dad and I did our first Chump race with them.

Well, I'm splitting costs on the car with a friend, and spreading it out over a year. That said, jumping in with that team once in 2014 seems like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

The mile long front straight of the long course both interests and scares me.

It depends a ton on the car you're driving but it REALLY shows you how much the corner before the straight matters. In the E30 I loved turn 10 but the straight was pretty boring. Car tops out at ~130mph so you get on the straight and move over to let the high top speed cars by. Flat out through 1 is awesome, slight lift going into 2 and now you're headed into turn 3 with cool'ish brakes at top speed. It's a rush and worth it if you ever see a club running the full course.

Also gives you a chance to check gauges, tighten harnesses, check your email, update facebook, etc.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

You got a bit of free time on this straight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeVyvYulpSE&t=290s

Not my video

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 7, 2013

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I guess this came to Lime Rock Park this week? Free, invitational event. Pretty pissed I didn't know sooner :argh: so I could sign up in hopes of an invite.

http://www.nismoperformanceacademy.com/

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 6, 2013

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

FatCow posted:

Does anyone happen to run TT with NASA SE or Mid-Atlantic? Have some questions on their format.

Also getting on track this weekend for the first time this year. I'm basically a virgin again it's been so long.

I only do DE with NASA but I know some TTers. What questions do you have?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have learned to maybe rebuild your calipers on your 20 year old economy sport coupe before taking it out on a lapping day. The left side seized two days after my track day. Aside from that, I can't think of a better way to spend money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It happened after, so good planning on your part.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is 9am and already 90 degrees at Auto Club Speedway. I think I'm just gonna do one session and leave before it gets hot as balls.

edit: Did 2 sessions since the first was crowded and really slow (shown in video, only got one decent lap in). I was actually passing people today, that's a new thing, definite sign of improvement. My goal was 2:10 or lower today but finished with a 2:11. This video shows a 2:13 with a little traffic and me lifting for a debris flag, otherwise I think I have the 2:10 pace down. Just need to get more agressive with the throttle out of the turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD4eYMARDWg

Didn't get my second session on video because I was in the middle of lunch when I noticed my group was on the track, woops, no time for camera setup!

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 8, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
[quote="Sab669" post="419027804""]
[/quote]
If a track day comes up you should let me know, I live in Buffalo too and wouldnt mind taking a trip there. I didnt see any info on their website though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cage posted:

If a track day comes up you should let me know, I live in Buffalo too and wouldnt mind taking a trip there. I didnt see any info on their website though.

http://www.glen-scca.org/Schedule.asp#Dec Doesn't look like anything is happening any time soon.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Sab669 posted:

So I guess this came to Lime Rock Park this week? Free, invitational event. Pretty pissed I didn't know sooner :argh: so I could sign up in hopes of an invite.

http://www.nismoperformanceacademy.com/

They did COTA too this summer. Lucky bastards.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sab669 posted:

http://www.glen-scca.org/Schedule.asp#Dec Doesn't look like anything is happening any time soon.

you just missed Chin's labor day weekend day there, but NASA northeast is doing a weekend on 9/27-29.

Watkins glen is my favorite track in the northeast. So much fun and so much buttpuckering

this was from a few years ago when I still had my SRT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfJntYph_4

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Anyone doing COM in October? 12-13th at NHMS

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Ill probably drop in to see how the events go. Im not sure if I'm going to register as of yet

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Anyone put in camber bolts? Do you need need an alignment after that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yes, changing camber will usually also change the toe. Toe plates are a good investment, especially if you want to get the alignment dialed in for track use. That way if you add camber bolts or change the camber or hit a curb really hard, or have camber plates with a street and a track setting, you can easily check/zero out the toe. It's just two pieces of aluminum and two measuring tapes and you can even just make your own with plywood.

The next things I would recommend are a temperature probe for the tires and a camber gauge. Having the temp gauge gives you actual data to use to set up the alignment and suspension to make the tires last longer and cut lap times.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The geometry relationship between camber and toe should be a known factor; if the only thing you changed was the camber bolt, you can do a pretty good pen & paper estimate of the toe change and decide if you need to get a new alignment done or live with it. For my car, increasing negative front camber increases toe out by a small amount, which makes for an easy one-point DIY adjustment between track and street alignments.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Toe is pretty critical to proper tire wear, if nothing else--and it's pretty easy to do well without any fancy equipment. Find somewhere flat and smooth, sandwich a trash bag with two pieces of cardboard and throw it under the tires (put some particle/plywood under the stack if you aren't on smooth concrete) then use some tow plates and two tape measures. Here are some fancy toe plates: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=152&catid=5 , but you can get the same thing with a couple more pieces of wood.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got this e-mail about a really great deal for an upcoming event at Pocono. I've driven these things and they are a blast. They posted a ride along video of the new Pocono North Course - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opvtmpIF3M

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=99c7d4b37f748969d50a6e3c8&id=6e2834751a&e=8a84644d5d

quote:

First-Time Racecar Rental Special
from Entropy Racing - September 28-29 at Pocono

Entropy Racing, is offering to pay the entry fee for any first-time racecar rental customers at IMG's September 28-29 Go All Out at Pocono North event.

You read that right - Rent an Entropy Sports Racer at Pocono, and your entry fee for a weekend of HPDE, Time Trial, or Double Sprint Races will be free. Better yet, any licensed racers who take advantage of this offer may share their car in the 2-Hour Enduro with no additional entry fee, and their co-driver will receive 1/2 off of their Enduro rental fee.

This is a perfect opportunity for experienced DE drivers looking to step into the world of wheel to wheel racing - A 2-Day competition race school with classroom and on-track instruction is part of the schedule.

With the crazy amount of track time available at our September Pocono North event, this is a perfect opportunity to enjoy a thrilling ride in a lightning fast Sports Racer without the hassle of towing or working on your car.

E-mail Charlie@entropyracing.net to Reserve your Ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysotile
Jun 25, 2005
Mesothelioma is your friend!
So the wife and I finally got the schedules to line up so we could take the V and make the trek down to Gainesville to make a few passes. She had never done it before, and I'd only done it twice in my old cobalt. Nonetheless, we were pumped.

First pass I drove and she watched, so she could get a feel for it. I was so excited to run that I didn't even remember to air down the rears. I drove around the waterbox too. Hell, after I got to the timeslip booth, I realized that I didn't shut off the fancy dual zone climate control properly and the compressor was still running.

Result? (Right lane)

Could not believe it! I was just trying to get the car down straight and show the wife what to look for, hand signals to watch, etc. I was shocked at how well the pass was.

Of course, that was the best run I'd have all night. But we're hooked, and already making plans to go back again. Had an awesome time.