Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rassle posted:

Got two morons yammering about pretzel dogs in an irritating accent, HEAH!

What the gently caress is the deal with pretzel bread? It seems like everybody is putting out something with a pretzel bread bun nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Guessing it's some dumbass ~*totes trending on foodie twitter*~ bullshit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's the new form of 2 years ago everything being "artisinal" bread.

gently caress "artisinal". If Subway claims their poo poo is artisinal, then the turds falling out of my dogs rear end are artisinal. About the same quality as the meat Subway uses, anyway.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Anything that brings us closer to the eventual return of "Mr. Phipp's Pretzel Chips", I will support any way I can (short of spending actual money.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There's always a fad food trend that everything has to have, yet isn't exactly hard to utilize. I recall a few years back when suddenly mango was everywhere, which pissed me off because I can't have mangoes due to a medicinal interaction, so like every new food was something I certainly couldn't have. Pretzel bread is just the current one. Which actually saddens me because that means it will go away. Pretzel bread is tasty yo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with pretzel bread? It seems like everybody is putting out something with a pretzel bread bun nowadays.

I dunno, but pretzel bread is pretty damned tasty. One place where pretzel bread doesn't belong though is on a loving hot dog.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My favorite pretzel bread commercial is the one where the guy's happy about court duty because he can go to a local place for pretzel bread and somehow Wendy's is supposed to be even close to comparable

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why can't he just go to the place with the pretzel sandwich on...any other day of his life? Do they ONLY sell food to sequestered jurors or something?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Sash! posted:

Why can't he just go to the place with the pretzel sandwich on...any other day of his life? Do they ONLY sell food to sequestered jurors or something?

It's actually part of his Jury Duty to eat at Wendy's.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tony Stark is in a series of new HTC cell phone commercials.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVE1OcfB1E4

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Gonz posted:

Tony Stark is in a series of new HTC cell phone commercials.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVE1OcfB1E4

I never noticed Robert Downy Jr. in that troll commercial.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choco1980 posted:

There's always a fad food trend that everything has to have, yet isn't exactly hard to utilize. I recall a few years back when suddenly mango was everywhere, which pissed me off because I can't have mangoes due to a medicinal interaction, so like every new food was something I certainly couldn't have. Pretzel bread is just the current one. Which actually saddens me because that means it will go away. Pretzel bread is tasty yo.

Starting in a week or two thats going to be chicken wings (McDonald's is releasing the McWing or something like that) so that'll be an interesting fad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Starting in a week or two thats going to be chicken wings (McDonald's is releasing the McWing or something like that) so that'll be an interesting fad.

Burger King started their wings like a month ago.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

computer parts posted:

Chicken Wings have always been moderately popular though.
Pistachios were a fad food for a while too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Honestly the pretzel bread most reminds me of the ciabatta roll craze a few years back.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
God do I hate those sea shanty loving miller commercials.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

squarerandom posted:

It's actually part of his Jury Duty to eat at Wendy's.
No, he's on jury duty, not being punished :downsrim:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Those pretzel burgers really are loving fantastic though. As are the salted caramel shakes. Has anyone noticed the salted caramel trend? I think Arby's just introduced some too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
He had to wait for jury duty because he needed the jury duty money to get it. Everyone in those commercials looks pretty unemployable (I'm talking in-universe of course) except the Alyson Hannigan-alike, but then she opens her mouth and says something and that's out the window.

Pretzel bread sounds real good and I ordered one from Wendy's one time but it was nasty greasy like they'd dumped a bunch of fryer oil on it or something (the bread itself).

(I do like Wendy's and not one of those goons who claim they get sick just looking at greasy fast food.)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 4, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

greatn posted:

Those pretzel burgers really are loving fantastic though. As are the salted caramel shakes. Has anyone noticed the salted caramel trend? I think Arby's just introduced some too.

I tried the Arby's salted caramel shake and it was pretty disgusting. The extreme saltiness completely drowned out all other flavors (then again, I am extremely sensitive to saltiness, so feel free to take my experience with a grain of salt :rimshot:).

Also, while I don't like Wendys burgers, if anything can make those slabs of grease edible, it would be a pretzel bun. :yum:

SpookyLizard posted:

God do I hate those sea shanty loving miller commercials.

While I don't drink, I do know enough about beer to know that implying that anyone would sing songs about Miller 64 is pretty much a slap in the face to decency and truthfulness.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 4, 2013

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I remember eating pretzel buns 2 years ago when I found them at Costco :smuggo: Way to keep up, current food trends.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

carry on then posted:

Honestly the pretzel bread most reminds me of the ciabatta roll craze a few years back.

It seems like pretzel buns and avocado is the new ciabatta rolls and chipotle.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also what the gently caress is up with avocado? Am I the only one who just doesn't give that much of a gently caress?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Avocado is amazing, but gently caress every shitlord that upcharges like $2.50 for it. It's avocado not a goddamn prime rib.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I swear the food trends have been declining in exoticness to the US as well. Sure, for a while we had stuff like Acai berry that most people in the US had never heard of, let alone tasted, but now we just have like, different bread and stuff you find in the produce aisle. Watch, eventually it's going to be something super simple like apples or something treated as the hot new flavor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Holy poo poo, has anyone else ever seen the new E-Harmony commercial?

They literally have a little girl saying "mawwages."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

With 9/11 a week away can we expect terrible commercials like this to pop up again or have they stopped doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3mzTpFCrU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Electric Phantasm posted:

With 9/11 a week away can we expect terrible commercials like this to pop up again or have they stopped doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3mzTpFCrU

I've seen commercials as late as last year selling commemorative coins and brooches for the Titanic disaster.

So no, those commercials will never go away. Although I wouldn't mind if all the ads were as hilarious as that one.
"Covered in .999 pure silver leaf!? Wowzers! That means there could be upwards of seven or maybe even eight dollars worth of silver on there!" :monocle:

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
The worst commercial for me right now is the new Beats Pill commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGQO4SM_Zs

How can a company with such a huge marketing budget make something that looks like it's competing with Crazy Frog ringtones? Oh, I guess they spent it all on Chris Rock and Eminem. It's on MTV and the YouTube comments are pretty positive so I guess it appeals to its target audience, but god is it bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

dijon du jour posted:

I've seen commercials as late as last year selling commemorative coins and brooches for the Titanic disaster.

So no, those commercials will never go away. Although I wouldn't mind if all the ads were as hilarious as that one.
"Covered in .999 pure silver leaf!? Wowzers! That means there could be upwards of seven or maybe even eight dollars worth of silver on there!" :monocle:

No part of it folds up into a 3D sculpture, it is unworthy of becoming part of my collection.

One time (literally once, I never saw it again), my brother and I saw a commercial for a complete set of US state quarters, plus the territorial quarters, from both mints. They also threw in some book to store them in or something. Maybe it was a map. What was unique about this? Some quick math revealed the "BUT WAIT ORDER NOW and get a second set" part pushed the price low enough that they were actually selling you $28 dollars worth of quarters for $30. Given that the storage book probably cost more than $2, they were almost certainly losing money on the deal.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 5, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I swear the food trends have been declining in exoticness to the US as well. Sure, for a while we had stuff like Acai berry that most people in the US had never heard of, let alone tasted, but now we just have like, different bread and stuff you find in the produce aisle. Watch, eventually it's going to be something super simple like apples or something treated as the hot new flavor.

Or Ray Winniger's Underground will become further true and cannibalism will come into vogue and eventually leave the gourmet restaurants that spawn anthropophagic cuisine and become a fast food staple.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

The worst part of those types of coins are how they use Liberian money so they can imply that since you're paying $20 for a 20 "dollar" coin you're not actually losing any money! Except that the Liberian dollar is practically worthless compared to the US.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choco1980 posted:

Considering that Greek Yogurt/Hummus/et all is less a food trend than an actual regular part of people's diet that might be technically true but not in the way you mean.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sash! posted:

No part of it folds up into a 3D sculpture, it is unworthy of becoming part of my collection.

One time (literally once, I never saw it again), my brother and I saw a commercial for a complete set of US state quarters, plus the territorial quarters, from both mints. They also threw in some book to store them in or something. Maybe it was a map. What was unique about this? Some quick math revealed the "BUT WAIT ORDER NOW and get a second set" part pushed the price low enough that they were actually selling you $28 dollars worth of quarters for $30. Given that the storage book probably cost more than $2, they were almost certainly losing money on the deal.

They probably charged like $15 for shipping

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

They probably charged like $15 for shipping

I looked into it (not that one specific one but the whole "buy this coin celebrating the United States Marines in genuine Sierra Leone money!" thing) and it would appear that they often use the business model of "we'll send you and bill you for coins you didn't order."

I guess the state quarters are a loss leader?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, has anyone else ever seen the new E-Harmony commercial?

They literally have a little girl saying "mawwages."

I saw that commercial today and all I could think was that girl is way too loving old to be mushmouthing her words like a 3 year old.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Kraft Recipe Maker ad can just go gently caress off. It shows a mom giving food to her kids, but for some reason they have giant adult heads on kid bodies.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I saw that commercial today and all I could think was that girl is way too loving old to be mushmouthing her words like a 3 year old.

It's a site ran by a nutty Christian fundie, what do you expect?

There's always been a bit of a condescending attitude in those commercials and I can't quite place it.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a site ran by a nutty Christian fundie, what do you expect?

There's always been a bit of a condescending attitude in those commercials and I can't quite place it.

Because, loser, you're not following Gods path on finding the one true love! And that dude who raped some lady like totally wasn't Gods path. That lady probably deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This loving commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFYuEIilgU

That song. gently caress YOU.