Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Sudoku posted:

Hell no, turn all your chips into pre-war money before you leave. You now have more caps than you'll ever need, forever. A single complimentary voucher at the BoS bunker will give you more than enough weapon repair kits, and those come back!

You have to break the bank at the Sierra Madre to even get the recipe to turn those vouchers in. That's actually exactly what I was talking about, although whether or not it's worth it to turn your chips from the DLC in for Pre-War Money is kind of debatable I think, since you can only get the 10 caps per stack if you have max barter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Talking Deathclaws were cool.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Wolfsheim posted:

It's gonna be a lot harder to retcon away the talking deathclaws or chess-playing radscorpion, unfortunately.

During the years spent in his youth the chosen one took a lot of psychedelic drugs as prescribed for his development by Hakunin.

There we go.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Talking Deathclaws were cool.

Wooly Deathclaws!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gorris was awesome, okay? Especially once you modded away his long-rear end start-of-combat animation.

Vakal posted:

On the flip side of that, is there anyone who doesn't kill the lottery winner?
Letting him live and then finding him 40 hours later in a random radscorpion nest was one of the weirdest things in all of New Vegas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think a later patch made it so he just drops dead like five minutes later, for memory reasons.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

So I just finished my second run of Dead Money, and it was really easy this time. I went in at level 10 specializing in unarmed and explosives, and every fight was trivial. The bear trap fist can more or less kill a ghost man in one VATS round, and there's no need to worry about ammo, or even repairs since Trappers are so common. And of course, gas bombs wreck everything.

I missed a lot of skill checks, though. I gained enough levels to get lockpicking and science to 75 and speech to 85, but there were still a lot dialogue options that I missed. Also, my perception was 3 so I couldn't understand anything Christine was trying to say. :v:

Anyway, I'm at the villa gate now. Anyone have a checklist of things I should get before I leave?

Also, what happens if you get to the vault but none of your skills are high enough to make Elijah come down?

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 2, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Sleepy Owl posted:

So I just finished my second run of Dead Money, and it was really easy this time. I went in at level 10 specializing in unarmed and explosives, and every fight was trivial. The bear trap fist can more or less kill a ghost man in one VATS round, and there's no need to worry about ammo, or even repairs since Trappers are so common. And of course, gas bombs wreck everything.

I missed a lot of skill checks, though. I gained enough levels to get lockpicking and science to 75 and speech to 85, but there were still a lot dialogue options that I missed. Also, my perception was 3 so I couldn't understand anything Christine was trying to say. :v:

Anyway, I'm at the villa gate now. Anyone have a checklist of things I should get before I leave?

Also, what happens if you get to the vault but none of your skills are high enough to make Elijah come down?

He just randomly says he's going to come down after you say you'll wait for him. I think there must have been some last minute change that wasn't fully vetted before they released Dead Money, because that dialogue has never made sense to me.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

During the years spent in his youth the chosen one took a lot of psychedelic drugs as prescribed for his development by Hakunin.

There we go.

This is my exact feeling. The chosen one was a tribal through and through, so I choose to believe he spent the entirety of Fallout 2 tripping balls. Explains the ghosts and the chess playing scorpion and the talking plant and waking up in a super mutant's house with a ball gag.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That whole bit seems really weird and buggy. He'll freak out and turn the lasers on while yelling about how you're a thief even if you haven't taken anything. And I've never actually managed to lock him in the vault, as he'll freak out and turn the lasers on before going in.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That whole bit seems really weird and buggy. He'll freak out and turn the lasers on while yelling about how you're a thief even if you haven't taken anything. And I've never actually managed to lock him in the vault, as he'll freak out and turn the lasers on before going in.

I had this exact issue; I even tried pushing him far enough in to let the doors slide him into the vault, but he just finished talking before I could get far enough. What DID do the trick was simply sneaking into one of the laser-blocked areas while he's slowly approaching the vault, which should trigger him (apparently) being locked in the vault and starting his spiel.

I imagine there's an unofficial patch that fixes this, as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DeathChicken posted:

Just legging it out of the vault area to the elevator instead of waiting for Elijah to come down nets you this achievement. Just start running the second the dialogue over the terminal in the vault ends.

I don't think I've *ever* missed doing this.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Ah New Vegas, we meet again. So I havent played in around 6 months, and picked it back up. Dead Money should be called "Kill your will to play." I hate quest chains/expansions/DLC like that. Now I am finding that I really don't think I have the patience to finish out this amazing game. I just murdered Ceasar to save time. Perhaps I shouldnt have added in so many mods, oh well. Still a great game. Perhaps I will finish it before the year is out.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

On a whim decided to give Fallout: Tactics a go just to give it a charitable try after all these years.

Regret wasting my Sunday.

Everything feels tonally off. It's kind of how people argue FO3 really missed the ball or was just apeing Fallout but, like really. From just really messing up the lore with the vaults to the weird fascist Brotherhood (this is actually interesting) you fight for, it's a mess.

I tried to doing the first mission very tactically with positioning and stealth but it was so slow, it took me probably an hour or more to get through the first village. Then I realized I can just give all of my squad long range rifles, bump up their gun skills, set them to aggressive sentry mode, and run through in CTB gunning down everything automatically and completing missions in a third of the time with less losses. I probably would have kept going just out of curiosity by I got to a minefield I couldn't disarm and was unable to complete a vehicle mission.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Redchaostry posted:

Dead Money should be called "Kill your will to play." I hate quest chains/expansions/DLC like that.

Then don't play it, idiot!

vvv Hmm, I thought he was replaying it. Ignore this if it's the first time.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 2, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Then don't play it, idiot!

Perhaps next time he/she won't? That's a really weird way to react to a perfectly legitimate expression of personal preference.

EDIT: Unless I'm missing some kind of inside joke, but to be fair, I'm not sure how I could get it in the first place.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Berke Negri posted:

I tried to doing the first mission very tactically with positioning and stealth but it was so slow, it took me probably an hour or more to get through the first village. Then I realized I can just give all of my squad long range rifles, bump up their gun skills, set them to aggressive sentry mode, and run through in CTB gunning down everything automatically and completing missions in a third of the time with less losses. I probably would have kept going just out of curiosity by I got to a minefield I couldn't disarm and was unable to complete a vehicle mission.
I wound up cheating my main character into an invincible supersoldier at some point after the robots showed up. It wasn't a terrible game, as such, and I'd still love to see an LP with some party interaction written in.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Perhaps next time he/she won't? That's a really weird way to react to a perfectly legitimate expression of personal preference.

EDIT: Unless I'm missing some kind of inside joke, but to be fair, I'm not sure how I could get it in the first place.

You are missing nothing. This is my first playthrough, and if I ever replay New Vegas I will skip Dead Money.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Raneman posted:

So I'm playing through Fallout 1, and it feels a lot more empty and short than I remembered. I'm only like level 6 and I have Combat Armor and a Combat Shotgun, so I guess I am near the end game. I saved and quit just before heading to the glow. It's only been like 6 hours. Was Fallout 2 better or am I doing something wrong?

From what information that you can find online, there was a load of content that got cut in the first game. I've actually considered a Let's Play that's a researched look at the development and cut stuff, but I've never done a Let's Play, and I'm worried I'd be bad at it.

I can never get Fallout 2 to run for some reason.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OldMemes posted:

I can never get Fallout 2 to run for some reason.

Not even the GOG version?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not even the GOG version?

I have the White Label version, that I think comes pre-patched? I've not used the GOG version. Fallout 1 plays fine, aside from the odd crash and graphics error, and Tactics works great. It's just Fallout 2 that doesn't work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have no idea what the White Label version is. The GOG versions are great because they come wrapped in software that makes them run correctly on modern systems. GOG does all the work for you, which for me mad their version worth it even though I have both Fallout 1 and 2 on disc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pope Guilty posted:

The GOG versions are great because they come wrapped in software that makes them run correctly on modern systems.
I doubt that claim. I've tried 3 GOG games so far (all games I have on disc that I got to run on windows xp with minimal fuckery):
King of Dragon Pass refused to launch entirely.
Gabriel Knight 2 set my resolution to some weird poo poo and defaulted to a half off-screen window whenever I alt-tabbed.
Quest for Glory 4 just skipped a bunch of animations all over the place.

Meanwhile, every old game I got off steam ran just fine.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I doubt that claim. I've tried 3 GOG games so far (all games I have on disc that I got to run on windows xp with minimal fuckery):
Gabriel Knight 2 set my resolution to some weird poo poo and defaulted to a half off-screen window whenever I alt-tabbed.

King of The Dragon Pass and Gabriel Knight worked fine for me. And I have Windows 8, which GoG doesn't officially support.

edit: White Label is a distributor in the UK.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 2, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

I played both Fallout and GK2 on Windows 7 using the GOG set up, without any issues. It's definitely worth giving their version a try.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I read through the last 20 or so pages of this thread yesterday, and I want to give a huge thanks to people who suggested starting with Logan's Loophole at the beginning. The first couple of times I played "clean" and avoided chems as much as possible, this completely changes things. I'm also really enjoying the goon-made GRA mod that distributes weapons and recipes while hiding unique weapons throughout the world, it beats the living hell out of the stock GRA expansion.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I had this exact issue; I even tried pushing him far enough in to let the doors slide him into the vault, but he just finished talking before I could get far enough. What DID do the trick was simply sneaking into one of the laser-blocked areas while he's slowly approaching the vault, which should trigger him (apparently) being locked in the vault and starting his spiel.

I imagine there's an unofficial patch that fixes this, as well.

I'm gonna spoiler this just in case someone might want to figure it out on their own. To get all the gold and trap Elijah, BEFORE you start the dialogue sequence, pick up all the gold and pick up whatever loot you want in the vault. When it's done, immediately pop a stealth boy and drag your rear end straight ahead all the way up the little bit of stairs in vault to the opposite wall. Turn right and stay crouched down through that hallway to the far right corner where you'll go into the left-hand side of the passageway that would have been blocked by the force field. :siren: Watch Elihah's tick mark on on the compass, he'll spot you whether you've got a stealth boy or not, but it helps anyway. Ensure the wall on the right of that passage blocks his view. :siren: Once you've gotten that far, just go ahead and turn left into the open passageway. At this point he'll notice you're missing, and he'll put up the force field behind you, trapping himself. You've got about a minute before the collar blows up to drag your rear end about 50 feet to the elevator and you're done. Then drag your rear end around town for a while if you want and when you're done go straight to the Sink and drop the gold off there so it's packed away at a safehouse; the teleport gun works fine even if you're hauling a literal half ton of the poo poo.

...I mean you could keep it in the BoS bunker where you start off, but it's not being guarded by the greatest toaster the world has ever seen so

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 3, 2013

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

So I have not used the LMG until this playthrough. I love this thing, with the magazine mod, it is ridiculous with AP ammo. I just did the Dead Wind Cavern and walked out without a scratch.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rex Deckard posted:

So I have not used the LMG until this playthrough. I love this thing, with the magazine mod, it is ridiculous with AP ammo. I just did the Dead Wind Cavern and walked out without a scratch.

That thing is a beast for sure. It helps that I've got the +2STR from OWB so I can hold the thing still. It's kind of a backup in case I run out of armor-piercing 5mm ammo or if the constant reloads from the assault carbine's (relatively) tiny magazines keep loving me. Deathclaws are always gonna be loving horrifying, but at least I've got stuff that can kill them other than the missile launcher.

...Which reminds me, I just finished Lonesome Road again, and holy crap I'm glad I'm not playing hardcore because this 305 weight limit I've got would be worthless for all the ammo I'm carrying around. I'll probably never have to get any more, I've got 4 digits of .223 (and I actually use it), .45 auto, 10mm (and I don't use any of it, ever), 5.56mm, and 5mm, plus almost 800 rounds of .308, 344 missiles, and oh yeah over 6,700 MFC's. (Anytime I get any other electrogun ammo I always swap it over for the LAER.) And that's not even counting variants like +P and armor-piercing ammo, I've got plenty of that too.

What all of that means is that the only weak point I've got is my best armor gives me a DT of only 30. I'll fix that when I get power armor from the BoS later on.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Doing an unarmed/melee run. I've invested in endurance (10 with the implant), but is it worth it to go all the way and learn to use power armor and become a tank? I've got about 400 hp now and kinda poo poo medium armor (in the middle of OWB). I must say though, OWB and DM become a joke with an unarmed/melee character. The unarmed/melee perks are so powerful. The DLCs generally make ammo scarce and weapons hard to repair. Melee/unarmed need no ammo and are easy to come by. Also the perks, 15 dt reduction on enemies coupled with a 30% stun chance with melee weapons. Just swing for the fences and everyone is done for on the floor unconscious. Having unarmed just at 50 even will be enough to slide through dead money with ease.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Doing an unarmed/melee run. I've invested in endurance (10 with the implant), but is it worth it to go all the way and learn to use power armor and become a tank? I've got about 400 hp now and kinda poo poo medium armor (in the middle of OWB). I must say though, OWB and DM become a joke with an unarmed/melee character. The unarmed/melee perks are so powerful. The DLCs generally make ammo scarce and weapons hard to repair. Melee/unarmed need no ammo and are easy to come by. Also the perks, 15 dt reduction on enemies coupled with a 30% stun chance with melee weapons. Just swing for the fences and everyone is done for on the floor unconscious. Having unarmed just at 50 even will be enough to slide through dead money with ease.

Knocking a ghost man down and crushing its head with the stomp move is the most :black101: thing in the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I must say though, OWB become a joke with an unarmed/melee character. The unarmed/melee perks are so powerful.

It's fitting somehow that a DLC based on scientific advances is best conquered by smashing things with sticks and fists like a caveman.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Berke Negri posted:

On a whim decided to give Fallout: Tactics a go just to give it a charitable try after all these years.

Regret wasting my Sunday.

Everything feels tonally off. It's kind of how people argue FO3 really missed the ball or was just apeing Fallout but, like really. From just really messing up the lore with the vaults to the weird fascist Brotherhood (this is actually interesting) you fight for, it's a mess.

I always liked Fallout Tactics for what it is: A Fallout based game with character progression, resource management and, well, tactics.

I highly suggest playing it on hardest difficulty with Iron Man. No save option during missions with increased difficulty increases the risk and tension. One unlucky missed shot can turn the factory rigged with explosives in Quincy into a crater, you can murder the Deathclaw Queen with a burst fire if you get reckless or you can lose your best sniper to a mine/close range Ak-47 burst/deathclaw gore attack in mere seconds.

This really adds a considerable sense of accomplisment when you finish a long rear end mission with, half of your teams body part scattered across three states, rest being crippled and bleeding.

You also get powerful when you are supposed to be and some missions are designed to kick your rear end because of your inferior equipment/recruits. Prime example is the the first mission against super mutants and ,later on,robots where you are clearly outmatched.

Also, the game has the really satisfying kill animations. It really feels great when you fill a supermutant with a burst fired .50 cal depleted uranium bullets from point blank. :black101:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Byzantine posted:

It's fitting somehow that a DLC based on scientific advances is best conquered by smashing things with sticks and fists like a caveman.

The thinktank never really understood that war never changes.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Byzantine posted:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Are the MFC grenades any good? I just found a workbench with a bunch of random junk lying around and figured what the gently caress, just picked up every bit of it and made a bunch of random crap, including twenty-five pounds of those things. So yeah... kill poo poo, or just sell them?
MFC Clusters are the best.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm replaying this for the first time in 2 years and holy goddamn Still in the Dark is :argh:the woooooorst quest :argh:. Even with fast travel, I've been doing this for about an hour and I only just got to the last stage of it. I swear if the ending makes these guys turn on me to get at my robot army I'm just going to save the entire Mojave some trouble and vaporize every Brotherhood member I see next playthrough.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm replaying this for the first time in 2 years and holy goddamn Still in the Dark is :argh:the woooooorst quest :argh:. Even with fast travel, I've been doing this for about an hour and I only just got to the last stage of it. I swear if the ending makes these guys turn on me to get at my robot army I'm just going to save the entire Mojave some trouble and vaporize every Brotherhood member I see next playthrough.

Those Brotherhood quests point out and then give you a reason to explore some of the most profitable and interesting bits of the Mojave. Would you prefer if the game were just shorter?

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Those Brotherhood quests point out and then give you a reason to explore some of the most profitable and interesting bits of the Mojave. Would you prefer if the game were just shorter?

Obsidian could have cut out the entire second stage of the quest and I don't think the game would lose anything from it. I also think they could have put two of the dead paladins in more interesting spots than "just outside Hidden Valley" and "just outside Nellis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Obsidian could have cut out the entire second stage of the quest and I don't think the game would lose anything from it. I also think they could have put two of the dead paladins in more interesting spots than "just outside Hidden Valley" and "just outside Nellis".

That spot is actually part of the Black Mountain broadcast station, you get sent there later to presumably do what they died there trying to do.