Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also "just outside Nellis" is a bitch to find sometimes with the artillery blasting the guy around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Pretty sure I did that quest in half an hour the first time I got it, I'm certain I can do it in under 10 minutes now, provided I had the fast-travel points at Nipton, Forlorn Hope, the NCRCF, Nellis, and the Repconn HQ. You are whining, probably about having to explore Repconn rather than having to find the scouts which is easy mode, literally 'walk to this place'.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Seashell Salesman posted:

Those Brotherhood quests point out and then give you a reason to explore some of the most profitable and interesting bits of the Mojave. Would you prefer if the game were just shorter?

I honestly do kinda wish there were some way to finish that quest without as much running around. I thought it was pretty cool the first time I was able to start 'Still in the Dark' at like Level 3 (as well as haul out a suit of stolen power armor and a super sledge for Raul, essentially making him even more unstoppable) just by being willing to poke into high level areas and using some tricks. It even kinda makes more sense that way, because the areas McNamara sends you to can all be accessed early on.

The trouble with finishing it is that you have to explore, what, every vault in the game? And there's no way to bypass it, with skill checks or otherwise. And man, gently caress some of those vaults. Each one is a quest in and of itself, they're all long as hell, and most are filled with monsters that will even ruin your poo poo at high level. The only vault that gives you a pseudo-workaround is the plant-overgrown vault, which is good because it's the worst one.

I can kind of respect the way like six different quests send you to the radioactive vault, but most of these are endgame quests and it makes sense. 'Still in the Dark' doesn't really work as an endgame quest because every faction you join strongly encourages you to kill off the Brotherhood, and of the two where you don't actually have to, it's still the best option in one case (Yes Man).

I'm all for additional content, but there's not multiple solutions to 'Still in the Dark.' You can either complete it by doing everything in the specific way you're supposed to (finding the dead patrols, talking to the scouts, and getting all the vault equipment) or fail it by killing everyone or putting the fascist in charge.

It's also one of the few instances where the game is lazy about reactivity; if you go on a rampage through Forlorn Hope, Nelson, NCRCF or Nipton the scouts' dialogue never changes.

JawKnee posted:

Pretty sure I did that quest in half an hour the first time I got it, I'm certain I can do it in under 10 minutes now, provided I had the fast-travel points at Nipton, Forlorn Hope, the NCRCF, Nellis, and the Repconn HQ. You are whining, probably about having to explore Repconn rather than having to find the scouts which is easy mode, literally 'walk to this place'.

That's only the first half, mang. The second is scouring all the vaults.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 4, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I honestly do kinda wish there were some way to finish that quest without as much running around. I thought it was pretty cool the first time I was able to start 'Still in the Dark' at like Level 3 (as well as haul out a suit of stolen power armor and a super sledge for Raul, essentially making him even more unstoppable) just by being willing to poke into high level areas and using some tricks. It even kinda makes more sense that way, because the areas McNamara sends you to can all be accessed early on.

The trouble with finishing it is that you have to explore, what, every vault in the game? And there's no way to bypass it, with skill checks or otherwise. And man, gently caress some of those vaults. Each one is a quest in and of itself, they're all long as hell, and most are filled with monsters that will even ruin your poo poo at high level. The only one vault gives you an easy pseudo-workaround is the plant-overgrown vault, which is good because it's the worst one.

I can kind of respect the way like six different quests send you to the radioactive vault, but most of these are endgame quests and it makes sense. 'Still in the Dark' doesn't really work as an endgame quest because every faction you join strongly encourages you to kill off the Brotherhood, and of the two where you don't actually have to, it's still the best option in one case (Yes Man).

I'm all for additional content, but there's not multiple solutions to 'Still in the Dark.' You can either complete it by doing everything in the specific way you're supposed to (finding the dead patrols, talking to the scouts, and getting all the vault equipment) or fail it by killing everyone or putting the fascist in charge.

I've never minded this quest being difficult to do at low level. After this one you just have to a pretty trivial quest and then blammo power armor. The only bit that is really difficult at low level is Vault 34 (the Nellis AFB artillery is just poorly implemented IMO, and you have to do it anyway for other quests so eh), because for some reason the ghouls inside the vault just will not die, and some of them are sorcerers.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've never minded this quest being difficult to do at low level. After this one you just have to a pretty trivial quest and then blammo power armor. The only bit that is really difficult at low level is Vault 34 (the Nellis AFB artillery is just poorly implemented IMO, and you have to do it anyway for other quests so eh), because for some reason the ghouls inside the vault just will not die, and some of them are sorcerers.

I might be imagining this since it's been over a year since I descended into that dreaded hellscape, but I'm fairly sure that Vault 34 was the precursor to Old World Blues' enemies-spawn-right-on-your-rear end mechanics. I recall red blips appearing suddenly just before horde of ghouls rounded the corner ahead or behind me... :gonk:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Wolfsheim posted:

That's only the first half, mang. The second is scouring all the vaults.

Right, I forgot about that, add an extra 20 on. Also the vaults are awesome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

And man, gently caress some of those vaults. Each one is a quest in and of itself, they're all long as hell, and most are filled with monsters that will even ruin your poo poo at high level. The only vault that gives you a pseudo-workaround is the plant-overgrown vault, which is good because it's the worst one.
Vault 11 is a conspicuous exception here. One of the best-written areas in the game and the only enemies around are mantises and rats. The end "boss battle" is pretty tough, but most of it is dull as dishwater to go through once you know the story. I prefer 22 and 34; they're exciting every time!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

JawKnee posted:

Right, I forgot about that, add an extra 20 on. Also the vaults are awesome.

You're excluding the fifteen minutes everyone takes to sit in silence and contemplate the meaninglessness of life after going through Vault 11 for the first time.

edit:and the half an hour of forgetting how to navigate the plant vault because even with the elevator that place is a goddamn maze

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I honestly do kinda wish there were some way to finish that quest without as much running around.

There is.

If you don't want to do the latter parts of Still in the Dark, you can side with Hardin and get the Power Armor training perk that way. McNamara makes you do a whole bunch of running around to grab random poo poo, while Hardin makes you do three easy things in Hidden Valley. But if you side with Hardin, you get hosed if you try to make peace with the Brotherhood. That's kind of the point of the whole questline. Doing things the easy way versus doing things the right way.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Redchaostry posted:

You are missing nothing. This is my first playthrough, and if I ever replay New Vegas I will skip Dead Money.

The first time I tried dead money was on a retard-smash-with-hammer playthrough that had no skills and it was absolutely horrible because I had to do evverything the long way; I'm not even sure I finished it. It's pretty fun though on the replay imo if you put it off till next-to-last on a high intelligence character with a bunch of utility skills maxed in addition to weapon competence (repair, lockpicking, science, speech) because there are shortcuts for pretty much everything tedious and you get the more interesting stuff out of your companions. Also, you want that one perk that makes you immune to traps.

If I did a playthrough right now I might still skip it, but it's certainly a lot better if you have a lot of skills under your belt when you go (and naturally you'll be rich forever once you leave)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 4, 2013

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Personally on repeat playthroughs the vaults are the thing I look forward to the least. A big part of it is that I like having companions and their pathing AI in vaults is atrocious, the plant vault and motherfucking 34 being the worst offenders. The option to skip the poo poo you don't want to deal with is the one thing in sandboxy games that makes me feel more freedom than anything else. With the brotherhood however you either do a whole load of poo poo or none at all. Hell, I have 100 repair and science, I am literally super mcgyver. Can't I just fix their air filtration system with some rubber bands and a pair of dirty socks?

Actually that'd make such a good DLC plothook. "Go forth and get McGuffins because some rear end in a top hat passed a 100 repair check and our life support system is currently powered by a cybernetic potato and a cowboy hat."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

It's also one of the few instances where the game is lazy about reactivity; if you go on a rampage through Forlorn Hope, Nelson, NCRCF or Nipton the scouts' dialogue never changes.

Don't know about Forlorn Hope nor Nipton, but in my playthrough, the scouts mentioned the NCR retaking Nelson/the NCRCF after the appropriate conditions had been met.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Still in the Dark doesn't make you go to Vault 34. Veronica's sidequest can involve going to Vault 34 as one outcome.

I guess I'm the only person here who didn't like Vault 11. Sure, there's a great payoff, but there's almost nothing else to the vault that kept me interested enough to keep exploring to find it.

Cross-Section posted:

Don't know about Forlorn Hope nor Nipton, but in my playthrough, the scouts mentioned the NCR retaking Nelson/the NCRCF after the appropriate conditions had been met.

"Going on a rampage" is what the guy said. They are mindful of the quest outcomes related to the locations though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Cross-Section posted:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Granted, you have to have decent reputation with the powder gangers to inevitably betray them, so I've only done 'I Fought the Law' two or three times.

I also edited out Nipton because all he talks about is how the Legion rolled up, so even if you killed them all afterwards it shouldn't necessarily change the dialogue. I could've sworn I talked to the scout near Forlorn Hope after helping the NCR retake Nelson to no avail, though now I'm second-guessing myself.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm fairly sure I remember the Nelson guy saying "the NCR took ages to retake the town" or similar. That might have been the prison guy though.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

StandardVC10 posted:

Still in the Dark doesn't make you go to Vault 34. Veronica's sidequest can involve going to Vault 34 as one outcome.

Oh yeah you're right. Then there are no bits to Still in the Dark that are too hard for a new character really.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I started my second play through of this game the other week and to make it different from my first game I'm mostly using melee weapons. I got a nice new baseball bat from the gun runners and went back south to explore the wasteland for a while, but noticed that while in VATS mode I had a new attack with the bat, I think it was called grand slam.

Are there any other melee weapons with cool unique attacks like that?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brasseye posted:

I started my second play through of this game the other week and to make it different from my first game I'm mostly using melee weapons. I got a nice new baseball bat from the gun runners and went back south to explore the wasteland for a while, but noticed that while in VATS mode I had a new attack with the bat, I think it was called grand slam.

Yeah there are quite a few of them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Brasseye posted:

All non-thrown melee weapons have special moves that unlock when your melee skill is higher then 50.
You can also do those moves outside of VATS by doing a power attack while moving forwards. But they'll be standard power attacks, the special properties (such as the 200% damage for the Grand Slam) apply only in VATS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is nothing more :black101: than upercutting an enemy ten feet into the fuckin' air with a sledgehammer.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

CJacobs posted:

There is nothing more :black101: than upercutting an enemy ten feet into the fuckin' air with a sledgehammer.

I will raise you by saying the same for Alpha Male Deathclaw with Knock Knock, and height of say....300 feet? (I have a screenshot)

The gun runner bat is really sweet with all the mods, I took a character named BatGirl (duh) through the entire game with it. I have a screenshot of that as well, with her standing over Lanius's dead body.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006