Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

sports posted:

ahh yes, lockjaw and laxatives... the great creature comforts of pre-apocalypse arkansas

nah we'll be posted up in the rockies when the end comes i am killing myself asap but if you idiots want to hang around i will post my address via deadman and you can come raid my poo poo. no bigs, enjoy your nightmare hell on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

i literally dont even know what to type into google

"restaurant supplies" or something im assuming??

1) google up any local catering company
2) phone them (or email them if you're a huge goon) n ask where they usually buy their CO2

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
any welding supply shop will have co2 that will suit your needs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're going to a welding shop get a bottle of hydrogen instead and see if you can make that dissolve in the water. then when you open the bottle of "soda" light it on fire

i would say helium for the voice effects but please dont waste helium

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
poo poo remember when i was talking about maybe building some sort of drone with an autopilot thingy on it

why would i even bother trying to rig up my own control system when this exists

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/08/drone-autopilot/

quote:

Size: 20mm x 20mm x 5mm (0.787" x 0.787" x 0.197")
Weight: 2.8g (0.1oz)

Features

72MHz 32bit ARM Cortex M3 MCU with 16KB RAM and 512KB Flash
Combined 3 Axis Gyroscope and 3 Axis Accelerometer
3 Axis Magnetometer
Barometer (Altimeter)
Onboard U-Blox GPS

drat son

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the cores of uav's and little flyin things are commodity now. at this point its how you apply them

i was sketching out an idea for an indefinite lifespan drone that would seek out power lines and hang from them by a hook thing that was also an induction coil. i think you could steal enough juice to recharge it. imagine swarms of never landing dronebots

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah the cores of uav's and little flyin things are commodity now. at this point its how you apply them

i was sketching out an idea for an indefinite lifespan drone that would seek out power lines and hang from them by a hook thing that was also an induction coil. i think you could steal enough juice to recharge it. imagine swarms of never landing dronebots

The Power Line Urban Sentry (PLUS) program seeks to crea

Dec 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

cistps: near-final thesis draft submitted to advisors

a good day

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice

The Leck posted:

i read 1493 and found it really interesting, and it sounds like 1491 will be no exception. ps: i'd definitely recommend 1493 especially if you want to learn about lots of kinds of potatos.

seconded to the maxxxx

1491 and 1493 are both interesting as hell

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i'm actually halfway through guns, germs, and steel right now; i had watched the pbs documentary version of it but never read it before

it's interesting if a bit dry and dated; is there a followup book that i should read after?

I just read 'After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire Since 1405' - if you are interested in the 'why did the West take off' part of Guns, Germs and Steel it works pretty well as a followup. Has good discussions about economic history, economic geography like the influences of geography on political and technological development(Europe being hard up against the edge of the world and cut off from the centres of trade in the world leads to naval development etc), and some of the myths about the state of the world in the period. Its a survey so it misses things but has pretty good 'narrative' continuity with Guns, Germs and Steel.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also economic history is incredibly loving contentious, nobody agrees on anything, and it gets worse the further you go back because the data is shittier. guns, germs, and steel is probably the worst possible intro to the field since it combines an untrained author, the worst time periods for available data, and some really insane, almost racist euro-centrism.

i thought it was not really racist at all b/c they basically said the white man "won" via right place, right time. but i guess diamond also doesn't really talk about china, etc. i could be mixing it up with other books though like 1491

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
on this topic i really liked a short history of progress by ronald wright, i did not read his follow up book though

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

More bouncing balls crap because im kind of bored with cfd at the moment (though I'll come back to it eventually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaIKbjQB1rg

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jet Age posted:

I just read 'After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire Since 1405' - if you are interested in the 'why did the West take off' part of Guns, Germs and Steel it works pretty well as a followup. Has good discussions about economic history, economic geography like the influences of geography on political and technological development(Europe being hard up against the edge of the world and cut off from the centres of trade in the world leads to naval development etc), and some of the myths about the state of the world in the period. Its a survey so it misses things but has pretty good 'narrative' continuity with Guns, Germs and Steel.
it's a little more expensive/academic than a lot of what we've been talking about here, but I found The Tools of Empire extremely interesting. it's obviously more on the technology than geography side, but there's definitely some overlap, in terms of disease (also important in 1493!), vaccines, steamships, etc. i keep meaning to get another copy because i lent mine to some butthole in my imperialism class and he never returned it.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Also I got the balls to cast shadows on each other but it's ridiculously computationally expensive so heres like 2 seconds of 480p video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfmhD0JOQM

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Also I got the balls to cast shadows on each other but it's ridiculously computationally expensive so heres like 2 seconds of 480p video of it

this is all in python right?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

dur posted:

this is all in python right?

Yup

Im doing soft shadows now; it looks pretty neat

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

More bouncing balls crap because im kind of bored with cfd at the moment (though I'll come back to it eventually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaIKbjQB1rg

"ball 1080"

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

a soundtrack for the other video

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well yeah aren't you essentially writing a ray tracing algorithm? if you started messing with refraction you wouldn't be too far off from the state of the art in 1980 computer graphics

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

soft shadows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGwvhAdgsyc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Im actually still using a sort of 2.5D renderer which only works because I'm drawing spheres (note how there isn't any distortion near the edges of the window)

But I've got all the vector stuff required to do some proper raytracing so maybe I'll try that next

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

are you doing the shadows on the CPU or GPU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

This is all pure cpu stuff that I wrote myself

So it's pretty slow, but I feel like I'm learning a lot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

coffeetable posted:

1) google up any local catering company
2) phone them (or email them if you're a huge goon) n ask where they usually buy their CO2

this is a good option. you can also just ask the guy you buy the CO2 canister from @ a homebrew shop

in general i think most co2 suppliers sell all-beverage-grade all the time, because it's a waste of time/effort to carry multiple uhh "qualities". don't hold me to that i'm not a gas supply expert

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a gas supply expert

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in general i think most co2 suppliers sell all-beverage-grade all the time, because it's a waste of time/effort to carry multiple uhh "qualities". don't hold me to that i'm not a gas supply expert

this is probably true, and for most industrial purposes (welding, chemical plants) you also want high purity, but i'd be more worried about whatever processing or handling they do than the gas itself. like if they use non-food-safe greases on their fittings and stuff.

that said eh what's the worst that could happen?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

this is probably true, and for most industrial purposes (welding, chemical plants) you also want high purity, but i'd be more worried about whatever processing or handling they do than the gas itself. like if they use non-food-safe greases on their fittings and stuff.

benzene contamination

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it's ok, benzene is organic!!

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i made a bash script that walks you through wpa_supplicant configuration bcuz i was tired of bloated network managers and config files

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

*dies*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes :thejoke:

when the two options are "food/medical grade" and "industrial grade" it is a pretty good strategy to only put the first one inside your body

eg: nitroglycerin

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
"industrial grade" is what you use to get that authentic steampunk feel

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Jonny 290 posted:

patenting this atm

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

This is all pure cpu stuff that I wrote myself

So it's pretty slow, but I feel like I'm learning a lot

you go boy

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Rude. posted:

patenting this atm

Power companies HATE him!

One weird tip for stealing electricity with induction coils discovered by a local mom

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Honked posted:

"industrial grade" is what you use to get that authentic steampunk feel

the metallic, petrochemical taste just makes it so authentic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yes :thejoke:

when the two options are "food/medical grade" and "industrial grade" it is a pretty good strategy to only put the first one inside your body

eg: nitroglycerin

lol what do u think we have livers for

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

woo more balls shading on each other

trying to make it faster now because i tried to make an animation of this and after five and a half hours it had rendered 30 frames

i mean granted half of that is the fault of the python interpreter which by my measurements seems to be running at around 2.5 megaflops; my laptop is old but i'm prrreeeeeettttttyyyyy sure it can go faster than that

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i want to dabble with the nvidia parallel computing library but i dont have any big processing problems to solve

crack the neighbors' wifi? is that a thing that you can crack if u give a video card a few hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Socracheese posted:

i want to dabble with the nvidia parallel computing library but i dont have any big processing problems to solve

crack the neighbors' wifi? is that a thing that you can crack if u give a video card a few hours?

its a thing you can crack if you give a cpu a few seconds