Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Very awkward lookin' trophy there. OK rockets are generally shaped much like that but when you put a dome at one end, well... I mean...

OK theres no easy way to say it that trophy looks like a dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JagGator posted:

I like how he has a pen in his pocket. Because you know he probably cranked out another novella on the back of his placemat while he waited for the other awards to be presented.

With a new, trophy-based magic system.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

With a new, trophy-based magic system.

Recognitionmancy?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Recognitionmancy?

He could probably make it work. The more famous your are the more power you have?

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Superstring posted:

He could probably make it work. The more famous your are the more power you have?

Gettin a little close to Malazan, turn left. (I love Malazan)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bluedust posted:

Gettin a little close to Malazan, turn left. (I love Malazan)

Not just Malazan. American Gods (Neil Gaimann) and the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) have used this system, so it's hardly an Erickson exclusive. Heck, I'd bet (without having looked at any of the books in years) that Terry Pratchett did this in at least one Discworld novel.

If I'm translating correctly, kleiomancy is a great system to use in any environment where you've got multiple generations of magic users.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Grundulum posted:

Not just Malazan. American Gods (Neil Gaimann) and the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) have used this system, so it's hardly an Erickson exclusive. Heck, I'd bet (without having looked at any of the books in years) that Terry Pratchett did this in at least one Discworld novel.

Small Gods establishes that gods on the Disc draw power from having people worship and pray to them. The titular small gods are little sprites (spren? :v:) that roam the Disc hoping to luck into someone praying to them.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Recognitionmancy?

You know, -mancy is supposed to refer to divination. Necromancy originally being divining the future by talking to the dead for example. This isn't an excuse to be pedantic, I just wanted to segue into a way to inform everyone that "alomancy" is an actual thing where you use salt to divine the future (like casting bones is ossomancy or looking into a crystal ball is crystallomancy).

So if you want to be a real life allomancer, just spread some salt about and make up some bullshit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Superstring posted:

I quite like 'the less famous you are, the more power (on the proviso that it takes some special thing to have power at all). Mages who can ONLY work in the shadows...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

I quite like 'the less famous you are, the more power (on the proviso that it takes some special thing to have power at all). Mages who can ONLY work in the shadows...

Names have power and everyone that knows your name claims a small piece of your soul? The main villain could be a Keyser Soze figure that's murdered everyone that knows his real name while simultaneously meeting as many people as possible to learn their names?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

thespaceinvader posted:

The biggest problem with that would be that beginner mages would(I think) be better than veterans almost by default. Unless there was some sort of equation involved like "Power goes up one level per magical stone touched divided by number of people who know you are a mage, every magical stone is heavily guarded by kingdoms that don't want ridiculously powered mages" and mages had to Arsene Lupin their way to getting upgrades while remaining undetected.

Speaking of Arsene Lupin, I hope Sanderson goes into that magical thief area a bit. I really liked his Mistborn-in-the-shadows scenes, especially in the first novel of the trilogy. I would love to see something like that in say, Way of Kings. Sanderson is really good at having things look stylish as hell and that's a pretty good fit for magical stealth.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sherringford posted:

The biggest problem with that would be that beginner mages would(I think) be better than veterans almost by default. Unless there was some sort of equation involved like "Power goes up one level per magical stone touched divided by number of people who know you are a mage, every magical stone is heavily guarded by kingdoms that don't want ridiculously powered mages" and mages had to Arsene Lupin their way to getting upgrades while remaining undetected.

It wouldn't be the first series to have power vary inversely with experience. The Young Wizards series did it. As your power declines, you just compensate by applying your power more skillfully.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Sherringford posted:

Speaking of Arsene Lupin, I hope Sanderson goes into that magical thief area a bit. I really liked his Mistborn-in-the-shadows scenes, especially in the first novel of the trilogy. I would love to see something like that in say, Way of Kings. Sanderson is really good at having things look stylish as hell and that's a pretty good fit for magical stealth.

You could tweak things a little by having it so that the more you practice magic, the more it becomes a part of you making it easier to strip part of you away with your name. It insulates regular humans from the effects, but as a mage gets stronger they have to become more paranoid and reclusive. That way the babby mages can know a lot of people, be in classes, etc, while the old wizened grandmasters have to keep their faces hidden and communicate by letters since even meeting someone face to face could cripple their power. It'd give all the old wizards a reason to have towers out in the wilderness :v:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

NinjaDebugger posted:

It wouldn't be the first series to have power vary inversely with experience. The Young Wizards series did it. As your power declines, you just compensate by applying your power more skillfully.

It's actually very convenient that way for the narrative, the young inexperienced character would have the power to change the world. The older mentor type can't do that anymore and doesn't need as much of an excuse to stay out of the action.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yeah, and I always thought that was dumb.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
This was posted on Brandon's Facebook. As a Wheel of Time fan, I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK1zEP0Z5Fk

Steelheart comes out soon. :woop:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Wearing a Szeth shirt like a boss.

God I cannot wait for the sequel to Way of Kings. I'm gonna try to get Steelheart and Emperor's Soul in the meantime.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
If anyone is interested in it, you can get signed & numbered copies of Steelheart from http://www.wellerbookworks.com/ for $18.00 + shipping (either $7 or $13).

The process is a bit annoying since they don't have any sort of e-commerce on their site, but if you send an email to books@wellerbookworks.com with your shipping address and what type of shipping you want, they will email you back a PayPal invoice. Nice enough people to work with.

Links with maybe some more info:
http://brandonsanderson.com/a-question-for-my-german-and-other-foreign-language-readers/
https://www.facebook.com/events/155581877983974/?ref=22

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I picked up Mistborn audiobook after reading the OP. Hopefully this will go better than the last time I went with a goon recommend author. Patrick Rothfuss.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

DarkHorse posted:

Wearing a Szeth shirt like a boss.

God I cannot wait for the sequel to Way of Kings. I'm gonna try to get Steelheart and Emperor's Soul in the meantime.

Do they still have that shirt that says "I'm wearing your mom,"?

Edit: do you think he would be offended if I told him that he was a better fiction writer than John Smith?

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 21, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Super excited about Words of Radiance. I've hooked several people on Sanderson where I work (as well as my wife and father) and we're all giddy in anticipation.

uh zip zoom posted:

Edit: do you think he would be offended if I told him that he was a better fiction writer than John Smith?

He'd probably be very confused why you were comparing him to an early English settler of Jamestown Virginia who was not exactly known for his fictional prose or literary style (because he didn't write fiction) though his nonfiction writings were important for encouraging further British colonization

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Steelheart is out tomorrow right?

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yep.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

My copy shipped from Amazon today, so... yes :woop:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Apparently the 26th in the UK, that said Waterstones sometimes have books on the shelves early so I guess I'll go have a poke around there before I go to Uni tomorrow.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
When do the Kindle orders ship? At midnight?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

treeboy posted:

He'd probably be very confused why you were comparing him to an early English settler of Jamestown Virginia who was not exactly known for his fictional prose or literary style (because he didn't write fiction) though his nonfiction writings were important for encouraging further British colonization

Yeah, that would've been a lot more clever if I had said Joseph Smith instead of John Smith. I get it. That's what I get for posting while high.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
So Sanderson's blog has some interesting news about an upcoming event tied to the release of Steelheart. Apparently he's going to be hiding codes inside some random books in bookstores. The codes apparently give you access to a special section of his site that:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

includes some exclusive goodies, including a ten-thousand-word chunk of Words of Radiance, book two of the Stormlight Archive. As the first one to find the code, you not only get to keep the prize found above, you’ll be able to leave your name on the list of hunters. The fun thing is that after that, you can share your code with friends so they can visit the special section of the website and read the exclusives there themselves.

The more codes that get entered, the more exclusives will be unlocked. (I think we have nine or ten of them in all. Some will be pieces of art, others will be chunks of writing from other upcoming books.)

Unfortunately for me he's not coming to my city but he says that he will have opportunities for cities he's not going to. Pretty neat stuff.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Someone had drat well better share their code :f5:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

When do the Kindle orders ship? At midnight?

"This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on September 24, 2013."

I assume so. But what timezone!?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Odette posted:

When I preordered A Memory of Light I got it right around 9 PST, so it should be showing up soon!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Odette posted:

Mine showed up about 30 minutes ago.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just finished the book. Wow! I read it all in one go and couldn't put it down. Well done, Sanderson!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There is probably a lot of overlap between this thread and the Dresden thread, so some of you have already heard of what I'm about to plug. But if you want more superhero action after Steelheart, written with roughly the same amount of talent and work ethic as Brandon Sanderson, try Worm:

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/category/stories-arcs-1-10/arc-1-gestation/1-01/

The first chapter or so is kind of slow (and the first entry is almost criminally unlike what is to come), but after that it really picks up. The superpowers are all fascinating, and a lot of care goes into making sure there is no such thing as complete invincibility -- everyone has an exploitable weakness, and eventually they'll run into another "cape" who can exploit it. Also, all of the characters are more than a power and an alignment; we take occasional breaks from the main story for "interludes", which give the author the opportunity to advance the story from a different character's perspective and really flesh out the characters presented that way. The author has published a new entry at least twice a week, every week, since June of 2011. Including one week of wonders when he/she put out roughly 50,000 words over eight consecutive days. Finally, the author says we are on the next-to-last chapter, so you won't have to wait very long for the amazingly exciting conclusion (lucky you!).

We are discussing it in the web serial thread, but we only spoiler-tag the last couple of chapters, so new readers beware!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I would say that while Worm is certainly an OK web serial, it hardly matches up to Sanderson. It is a fun read with lots of superhero action, but beyond that there's really not much. Superheroes fight each other, then fight big bad monsters, then each other, then big bad monsters, repeat. Each big bad monster is tougher than the last, but you don't get a "So and so just leveled up" feeling at least. As I read it, I didn't get the sense that the author had a story planned out, but rather would write himself into and then out of a corner, sometimes with some pretty heavy handed deus ex going on.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Odette posted:

Just finished the book. Wow! I read it all in one go and couldn't put it down. Well done, Sanderson!

Same here actually. I really enjoyed it, and I can't believe I didn't catch the big twist ahead of time. It's really quite simple looking back at it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Phummus posted:

I would say that while Worm is certainly an OK web serial, it hardly matches up to Sanderson. It is a fun read with lots of superhero action, but beyond that there's really not much. Superheroes fight each other, then fight big bad monsters, then each other, then big bad monsters, repeat. Each big bad monster is tougher than the last, but you don't get a "So and so just leveled up" feeling at least. As I read it, I didn't get the sense that the author had a story planned out, but rather would write himself into and then out of a corner, sometimes with some pretty heavy handed deus ex going on.
Given what the current "big bad monster" is I don't think that's a very valid accusation.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Sanderson put up a clarification blog post saying that if you get a code, you're free to share it... but not publicly. One to one is okay, but if it's spotted on Twitter/Facebook/etc the code will be deactivated.

So... whoever finds a code I will loving buy you a plat upgrade so you can PM everyone.

Or an admin can put the paygate back up for viewing TBB, ala LP currently. Whatever.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 25, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Algid posted:

Given what the current "big bad monster" is I don't think that's a very valid accusation.

Yeah, it's not even in the right loving ballpark. Worm is maybe one of the best things I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books across all sorts of genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Steelheart, just...

:stare:

I was a bit iffy at the start the grand rules of the magic system are still very undefined yet, but... that ending felt amazing.

Also, I read that character, in that voice. Thanks Futurama.