Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Stew Man Chew posted:

This depends on the trim level you purchase, but pretty much yes.

Once you get to ST3, the full-leather heated Recaros, your only option is all black.

ST2 trim you can choose the black/blue and black/yellow option.

My st2 is black with grey inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Atmus posted:

I kinda assmed it was. But then they would have left the grille open for airflow or whatever, wouldn't they?

Actually, the ST has an electronic shutter that opens the grill automatically when needed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like the look of the scoop on the Speed3, wish the ST had something to complete its aggressive look.

Does the Ford run a front mount intercooler, whereas the Mazda runs a top mount intercooler? Putting a scoop on the Ford would be a waste of time if it is front mount.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

Actually, the ST has an electronic shutter that opens the grill automatically when needed.

...The only thing not awesome with that is I'll never be able to see it.

Wait... One of you guys has a truck or van and a large mirror, right?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

echobucket posted:

I'm going tomorrow to pick up my race red fiesta st with nav, moonroof and painted wheels. I'm excited.

Post pictures please. If it was available in two doors, I would be trading in my car for one right this second.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Bob A Feet posted:

The Fiesta ST is the perfect blend between cute and aggressive. I'd buy one if I didn't have an ST.

I found out last night that ford racing has matte and gloss black versions of the stock wheel on the Focus. I love the design, hate the color of the wheels (shows too much dirt). They are ~$220 too. I was going to get mine powdercoated but I'd rather have the originals for when I move somewhere else for a second set of tires, and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22774

Just plastidip them, I used 2 spray cans worth of plastidip for the ST rims, 6 coats each. Super easy to do.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Atmus posted:

...The only thing not awesome with that is I'll never be able to see it.

Wait... One of you guys has a truck or van and a large mirror, right?

If you ever wondered why your ST was making a low humming sound for about 10 seconds after you've stopped and turned off your vehicle, it's the electronic shutter closing.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

bobfather posted:

If you ever wondered why your ST was making a low humming sound for about 10 seconds after you've stopped and turned off your vehicle, it's the electronic shutter closing.

I absolutely love features like this on cars, mazdas oscillating air vents and 90-93 honda accords cooling fans running after you shut your car off come to mind.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Going to pick this up tonight. (sorry about the crappy cell phone picture)

Fiesta ST by jdorseydesign, on Flickr
I'm super excited. Since this is the first fast car I've ever owned, any tips? Other than not getting speeding tickets?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 4, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Flip it over so the oil doesn't leak out.

E: Nice edit.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

Flip it over so the oil doesn't leak out.

E: Nice edit.

LOL, yeah, apparently the browser doesn't know how to flip over the photo automatically.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

:aaa:

I seriously went out and drove around a bit to make it do it. The lighting was terrible, but holy poo poo.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

echobucket posted:

I'm super excited. Since this is the first fast car I've ever owned, any tips? Other than not getting speeding tickets?

Definitely looks sharp, nice call on the red!

Does the Fiesta ST have the sound symposer like the Focus does?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Definitely looks sharp, nice call on the red!

Does the Fiesta ST have the sound symposer like the Focus does?

I think so. I know you can hear the engine pretty good inside the cabin. I have to admin I like it. And it's not like BMW that plays fake sound in the cabin or anything.

Someone put a file on sound cloud with the new fiesta sound.

https://soundcloud.com/roadandtrack/2014-ford-fiesta-st-engine

echobucket fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 4, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

echobucket posted:

I think so. I know you can hear the engine pretty good inside the cabin. I have to admin I like it. And it's not like BMW that plays fake sound in the cabin or anything.

Well. Its the Sound Symposer. Its a specially tuned pipe with a thing that opens past a certain RPM that lets the pleasing engine noises into the cabin. Not those unpleasing engine noises. Just the nice ones.

So its kinda like BMW

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

echobucket posted:

I thought it was a nice touch, it definitely sounds great. My only problem is with the name; it's impossible to say 'sound symposer' without sounding (and feeling) like a wanker. I put my deposit down yesterday, but it's looking like I'll have to wait till December to take delivery :australia:

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 4, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I unplugged my sound symposer and haven't looked back. The cabin is so much quieter now! I found the symposer was coming online no matter what at 1500-2000 RPM, even if my driving was slow and relaxed. I don't need to feel like I'm always driving quickly.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Atmus posted:

:aaa:

I seriously went out and drove around a bit to make it do it. The lighting was terrible, but holy poo poo.

Although it is a cool feature, I believe it also exists on the base Focus as well. I don't think it's a super-special ST-only thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bobfather posted:

I unplugged my sound symposer and haven't looked back. The cabin is so much quieter now! I found the symposer was coming online no matter what at 1500-2000 RPM, even if my driving was slow and relaxed. I don't need to feel like I'm always driving quickly.

Where's it located?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you look in the engine bay, near the windscreen there's a black tube that connects to the cabin.

You can unplug that tube to disconnect the symposer. Alternately, you can follow that tube back down into the engine bay to find the sound symposer itself, and then you can use a small hand or a long screwdriver to disconnect the symposer entirely.

I went the latter route. It's a bit hard to visualize, but there are pretty good write ups on focusst.org. Just search for "symposer".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Ill take a look. I realized I don't give a gently caress how the car sounds and would prefer it to be quieter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

echobucket posted:

Awesome. I want impressions. Really hoping to get one of these around this time next year.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

Although it is a cool feature, I believe it also exists on the base Focus as well. I don't think it's a super-special ST-only thing.

Yeah, it is. And Ford didn't invent it or anything anyway. Keep in mind though, I'm used to 80's F-series, so anything beyond 'Starts, runs, has a radio' is basically magic to me in person.

How does the sound symposer work? I know what it does, but not how it does it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I dunno, but I really like the idea of of it. The only person in the world that wants to hear the engine sound, the guy thats driving it, is the only one that can hear it.

Enjoy your Fiesta man. You're going to have to give it a full break down on here. Hope you have a better camera!

edit- judging by your flickr, you do! I want more pics!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

mazdas oscillating air vents

I miss these. So awesome.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

omgitstheinternet posted:

Took my hot hatch up in the mountains for a drive this weekend

Nice car and all but you seem a little confused on the term "hot hatch". Your car would fall more into a coupe definition than it would as a hatchback.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Counterpoint

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

No, it's not.

There's more to a hatchback than just being able to raise the rear and put things in, it's also got a lot to do with the shape of the car. Look at the Focus, Fiesta, GTI (both VW and Peugeot), Renault 5 turbo, Lancia Delta, Mini, etc... Notice the similar body shape, the upright styling, the lack of slope on the rear window. These are all things common to hot hatches. BMW make hatches too, the 1 series is a great example, however the Z4 is not a hot hatch, it's been designed from the ground up as a 2 person sports car not a nimble, light, practical grocery getter that's been warmed over for the performance market.

Vvvv.

Fastback, hmm maybe, I'd still stick to coupe. The z4 is based off the cabriolet with a hard top added. Fastback I'd consider to be more of a sedan with a sloped back, so maybe an Audi A5 four door or the A7, or even the abomination that is the X6.

I'd actually almost consider the original z3 clownshoe to be a hatchback, just the z4 has morphed into a Cayman contender so it's now a Coupe.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 5, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Would it be considered perhaps, a fastback?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Laranzu posted:

See if your MyFordTouch is updated to 3.62 (think its 3.62. The latest one), it really seemed to iron out a bunch of bullshit mine was doing.

This, updated mine last week and have had no troubles since.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Z4 is a sports car, not a hot hatch. Hot hatch means that it is based off a bog standard run about hatchback with a bigger motor and/or forced induction of some sort. Some Aston Martins have liftbacks like the Z4, but it sure as poo poo ain't a hot hatch.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure on all this sound symposer stuff.

I'm pretty sure I read that they did the same thing with the BRZ/FRS

If you need a special pipe to make everything sound 'nicer', I just don't know what to tell ya.

Going to fan-boy the MS3 for a second, but it has easily one of the nicest sounding engine / turbo notes out of a sub $30k car... slap on an aftermarket intake and BPV for all the engine noise you could ever want.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

If you need a special pipe to make everything sound 'nicer', I just don't know what to tell ya.

Sappo569 posted:

slap on an aftermarket intake and

:downs:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It sounds great with the stock one.

If you had read first, you would have noticed I said it sounds great as is, but will provide more engine noise than you could ever want after the fact

As opposed to having to come from the factory with a sound enhancer :munch:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The best noise is the little 'tsss' upon shifting in any turbo'd car and I will fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KakerMix posted:

The best noise is the little 'tsss' upon shifting in any turbo'd car and I will fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

Wrong! The duck call BOV is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Picked up my Fiesta last night. Still getting used to it but here's my first impressions. Remember that this is the first real performance car I've owned.

The regular cloth seats are plenty comfortable. The $1999 recaros must be magic. I'm glad I didn't get a chance to even see them, it saved me monies.
This car is insanely fun to drive. My last stick was a 2008 TDI Beetle, which had lots of torque, but NOTHING compared to this thing. And it corners on a dime, you just point it where you want to go, and it goes.
The MFT is about the same as the one on my 2013 Escape, except that the screen is too small and too far away. All the same crappy parts of MFT are there.
I love the noise right now. Time will tell wether or not I'll grow tired of it. It does seem odd that it doesn't make the noise until you really step on it. If you drive modestly it's like you are in a reasonably priced car.

Here's a better photo I took this morning in the sunlight.

2014 Ford Fiesta ST by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

I gotta get a better front plate than the stupid dealership advertisement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty slick man, looks great!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I think you're the first Fiesta ST owner to post. Great looking car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah that looks great, I'm thinking I should've factored it into my research.

I guess my folks were snooty back in the day because my uncle, who's a 42 year Ford union plant manager outside Detroit, posted on my facebook pics of my ST "Well well, a (family name) with a Ford, priceless!"