Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
So I've heard an unofficial word from a source I trust that all the MCM and MCSM prereqs and wait periods are being waived to facilitate people polishing them off before they cut off entirely Oct 1. They're all scheduled over direct emails anyway so I don't expect to ever see an official announcememt on it. How batshit crazy am I for contemplating going for it? I'm second-guessing myself so drat hard here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Passed the old school ICND2 yesterday. Feels good to have the CCNA finished. I was talking to the secretary about the upcoming close date on the old test and she said that the testing center is getting slammed with requests. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who go in and fail the test with less than 5 business days until the test ends.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Virigoth posted:

Passed the old school ICND2 yesterday. Feels good to have the CCNA finished. I was talking to the secretary about the upcoming close date on the old test and she said that the testing center is getting slammed with requests. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who go in and fail the test with less than 5 business days until the test ends.

Way to go brother!

I'm doing some last minute cramming before I sit the Microsoft 70-411 in about 15 minutes. This one is being a bitch, all those damned GPO settings and ever-so-slightly-different cmdlets. I'm fine in the real world, but when you have a list of 4 registry keys that are all off by a few letters, I get tripped up.

Deep breaths and reading questions multiple times, that's going to get me through this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another random tip is to check online in your city for something called Workforce Development Centers, they sometimes offer IT prep classes for all the main certs and cam even have full-scale labs with things such as Cisco network sims/actual hardware installed.

Also the price tends to be more competitive for the in-state student costs compared to private company cert prep classes. The Centers also offer basic introduction classes as a good way to interest check the IT field.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 5, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Protokoll posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come out like that. I hope you nail the loving thing; tests are meant to be passed and/or to teach us lessons in the failing!

I'm actually sitting my R&S written in a few months, so that will be a joy.

Didn't you just pass the CCNP like a month ago? :psyduck:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Update, the 70-411 is a pain in the rear end, but I managed to squeak out with an 816.

Phew, I feel like a truck hit me I was so nervous about this one. Time to start reading for the 70-412!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

QPZIL posted:

Update, the 70-411 is a pain in the rear end, but I managed to squeak out with an 816.

Phew, I feel like a truck hit me I was so nervous about this one. Time to start reading for the 70-412!

Congrats! Wait until you hit 70-414, it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

QPZIL posted:

Congrats! I'm considering starting the MCSA courses now that I finished my CCNA. I just moved to a job where I'm administering my own servers in a test environment after not touching it for about 4 years. What is a timeline to finish all these tests with a reasonably paced study regime and not super cramming? ~12 months or so? I feel that if it is any longer then that I should table it and start work on my CCNP tests.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Didn't you just pass the CCNP like a month ago? :psyduck:

I've seen resumes like that come across my desk for hiring

code:
Joe Smith, CCIE Routing & Switching
3 Years Experience
T file they go.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
It almost feels like I should stop working on certs after I finish my CCNA and just wait until I graduate/get a job. :(

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

KetTarma posted:

It almost feels like I should stop working on certs after I finish my CCNA and just wait until I graduate/get a job. :(

No always work on something and be progressive. It's easy to get out of the learning realm and difficult to get back in. Shoot for something! the Security Cert for CCNA ain't half bad to work towards.

Side note my next VCAP moved to the 23rd, going to be fun!

Also when do you guys normally schedule exams? I aim for beginning of the week Monday/Tues at the beginning or end of a month.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 5, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Also when do you guys normally schedule exams? I aim for beginning of the week Monday/Tues at the beginning or end of a month.

On a day where I will not get shitfaced the night before.

geera
May 20, 2003
Scheduled my ICND1 100-101 exam for next Tuesday. I purchased the practice exams from Cisco, otherwise the only other materials I have to study from are the class books. Are the practice exams a pretty reliable indicator of the types of questions that will be on the exam?

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

KetTarma posted:

I wonder how weird people are going to think you are when they see a resume with a fresh EE degree and you're applying for scrub jobs like us :v:

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

routenull0 posted:

I've seen resumes like that come across my desk for hiring

code:
Joe Smith, CCIE Routing & Switching
3 Years Experience
T file they go.

Ouch! I would be impressed by someone who was able to pick things up that quickly though, the CCIE doesn't seem (to me) to be a junk cert by any means. Of course more experience would be better, but I just wonder why the hate on people who are able to buckle down and learn stuff that quickly?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Depending on the environment where they were working, CCIE and 3 years could be a pretty solid knowledge base. Yeah I mean routers and switches are only like 25% of networking, but having a CCIE isn't exactly the same as dumping the CCNP.

Re: EE degree: He'll probably make substantially more as a network engineer after a few years than he would as an EE with the same level of experience. This is actually true for most of IT compared to degreed engineering fields.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 5, 2013

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I've always been under the impression that the lab portion of the CCIE really weeds out the booksmart exclusive people from those who really know how to do things in the real world.

Bear in mind, I'm just starting on this path (I suppose, self studying on CCNA past several months) and I've been busting my rear end just for that, so I'm staring up the mountain for sure.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

psydude posted:

Depending on the environment where they were working, CCIE and 3 years could be a pretty solid knowledge base. Yeah I mean routers and switches are only like 25% of networking, but having a CCIE isn't exactly the same as dumping the CCNP.

Re: EE degree: He'll probably make substantially more as a network engineer after a few years than he would as an EE with the same level of experience. This is actually true for most of IT compared to degreed engineering fields.

If the person ended up working in a network that was big enough but not so big that they didn't get have to work on everything there then three years can be plenty of time to know which way is up. CCIE is a lot of work for most people so getting that done in that amount of time takes a worker, there is a chance that they would learn fast and be useful.

The biggest problem I run into with new CCIEs is that they seem to want to do everything the hardest way possible and turn on all the knobs on whatever you give them. Once you beat that out of them you are good.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

but having a CCIE isn't exactly the same as dumping the CCNP.

Unfortunately, the CCIE can be dumped as well, including the lab exam itself. Which is where a CCIE, coupled with a low amount of experience, immediately raises red flags. Typically you can weed these people out in a good technical interview though. Even Cisco recommends "three to five years experience before attempting".

That's not to say there aren't those out there that can knockout a CCIE from zero networking experience within three years legitimately, but those are the ones who end up being like dotster mentions; they attack a problem nail with a 5lb sledgehammer.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Does the CCNA have any questions on building a particular PDU from beginning to end? I am totally hating this type of question on the chapter tests an quizzes.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

routenull0 posted:

Unfortunately, the CCIE can be dumped as well, including the lab exam itself. Which is where a CCIE, coupled with a low amount of experience, immediately raises red flags. Typically you can weed these people out in a good technical interview though. Even Cisco recommends "three to five years experience before attempting".

That's not to say there aren't those out there that can knockout a CCIE from zero networking experience within three years legitimately, but those are the ones who end up being like dotster mentions; they attack a problem nail with a 5lb sledgehammer.

The lab is harder to dump but I do see it. The groups that do it basically have to have the tests and the answers and still have problems. I think adding back troubleshooting has helped.

I generally just start telling stories about bugs I have run into or network outages I worked and if the CCIE has nothing or can't comment on what the problem could have been then you know, guys tha dump the lab are usually paper thin.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

dotster posted:

The lab is harder to dump but I do see it. The groups that do it basically have to have the tests and the answers and still have problems. I think adding back troubleshooting has helped.

Oh yeah most definitely because they are "studying" on "labs" that they may or may not get when they walk into the lab scenario. I unfortunately know all to much about this process because a member of my team is actively doing it and showing me how / where he gets it. The crappy part is my only course of action is to constantly say "That is not 'studying' that is memorization of the items needing to be fixed on a particular lab scenario. You still have no idea what lab scenario you will receive until you walk in. What are you going to do, 'study' every lab scenario that some guy posts about?" To which the response is always "yup". It bothers me because he is one of who knows how many others doing this, just devaluing the certification that so many hold in high regard.

dotster posted:

I generally just start telling stories about bugs I have run into or network outages I worked and if the CCIE has nothing or can't comment on what the problem could have been then you know, guys tha dump the lab are usually paper thin.

That is what I was kind of getting at with the limited experience. It takes years to experience all sorts of odd bugs and learning the in's and out's of protocols down to knowing how to troubleshoot things at the lowest layers. Things you generally don't experience in a three to five year span, even at the biggest ISPs / corporations. It just triggers a big red flag when I get resumes for my team like that, and not necessarily CCIE level guys, but even CCNP guys. I've interviewed too many of them that make comments like "yeah I'm just bad at ACLs" or cannot grasp the understanding on order of operations when it comes to routers processing packets.

I still hold the CCIE / JNCIE in the highest of regards, so don't think I am discrediting you, but there are others out there that are ruining it for the good ones. It only takes one right? Even with my 12yrs of experience with ISP/CLEC and now DoD arena, I'm still not comfortable scheduling the lab.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Thanks for expounding on that routenull0 - I was genuinely curious why you thought that of the CCIE, I thought that test to be pretty darn bulletproof as far as people having to do the work vs just preparing for certain scenarios, especially since it's a proctored exam and whatnot. Interesting to hear this sort of thing from your perspective, for sure.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Agatsu posted:

Thanks for expounding on that routenull0 - I was genuinely curious why you thought that of the CCIE, I thought that test to be pretty darn bulletproof as far as people having to do the work vs just preparing for certain scenarios, especially since it's a proctored exam and whatnot. Interesting to hear this sort of thing from your perspective, for sure.

The written is just like any other Cisco exam, a PearsonVue computer based exam, multiple choice with no simulations. The lab is somewhat proctored, you have to travel to a location and take the hands-on exam, but the proctors are only there to make sure you do not sneak anything in, they do not grade you. You are graded by the team in the next time zone usually.

The true CCIE's, and I work / know plenty of them, are what makes the certification so coveted, but there are plenty of people out there that just look at it as a way to score a six figure job. When the reality is, and I am an example of such, that you don't need a CCIE to pull down a six figure job in networking, hell all I have is a CCNA / CCDA, Juniper equivalent of the CCIE written, and a CISSP, but I have over 10years of industry experience and that's what got me where I am at. Experience is worth more in the long run than any piece of paper that proves you passed a particular exam.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

routenull0 posted:

The true CCIE's, and I work / know plenty of them, are what makes the certification so coveted, but there are plenty of people out there that just look at it as a way to score a six figure job. When the reality is, and I am an example of such, that you don't need a CCIE to pull down a six figure job in networking, hell all I have is a CCNA / CCDA, Juniper equivalent of the CCIE written, and a CISSP, but I have over 10years of industry experience and that's what got me where I am at. Experience is worth more in the long run than any piece of paper that proves you passed a particular exam.

I would agree with you in general on experience vs. certs. There are some places out there that pay very well, like resellers that get added value in discount from people with certs so they pay better if you have them. Large organizations also have gates for promotions based on certifications among other things so depending on where you work your mileage may vary. I had a good mentor/manager long ago that used a cert that I got ahead of a guy in another department to help justify me getting a promotion before the other guy, whether we like it or not it gives HR "measurable differentiation".

routenull0 posted:

I still hold the CCIE / JNCIE in the highest of regards, so don't think I am discrediting you, but there are others out there that are ruining it for the good ones. It only takes one right? Even with my 12yrs of experience with ISP/CLEC and now DoD arena, I'm still not comfortable scheduling the lab.

Having been in the industry for the last 18 or so years I know the value of the cert is based on the person so you're not going to offend me. There will always be paper tigers out there.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

havent had time to put my effort into studying for ICND2, took it anyways. Got a 750 :( I got a 100% on anything dealing with WANS and subnetting... and bombed all the gotchas I didnt take the time to lab out. Yep I know what I'll be practicing up on, freeccnaworkbooks labs!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Did my secondshot and passed the 70-642. I pulled at least 200 points out of that goddamn NAP book. Now a breather for a week or two and onto 70-646.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For loving serious? Can you link to amazon or give the ISBN? I did 500 so with some brushing up and a go over with that book I may have a chance.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...cess+protection

E: you really do need to sim both books out and it wont do much to get another book to rote memorize.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 7, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yup. Just got a used copy for under 11 bucks with prime shipping. This book is very useful

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I just checked used and saw one that said it was in very good condition with unopened disc for $10.94. Not bad at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What's the viability of installing JunOS/Olive on a small Linux-based device like a Raspberry Pi? I imagine a couple of those plus some USB->Ethernet adapters and hubs would be an easy way to lab out some Juniper stuff.

Millz
Aug 29, 2013

QPZIL posted:

What's the viability of installing JunOS/Olive on a small Linux-based device like a Raspberry Pi? I imagine a couple of those plus some USB->Ethernet adapters and hubs would be an easy way to lab out some Juniper stuff.

I am sure this is possible since there is all kind of information out there about running JunOS on FreeBSD in a virtual machine. But since you can run it in a VM why wouldn't you just spin up a virtual test bed instead of having a bunch of RaspPis sitting around. That is how I get practice on vendors I am not familiar with (or at least the ones you can virtualize).

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Are there ARM versions of JunOS?
That'd be your starting point.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
My Cisco studies seem to be going pretty good.

I can subnet any question at subnettingquestions.com now without issue. Any other sites for subnetting scenarios that I should look at for practice?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBigglesworth posted:

My Cisco studies seem to be going pretty good.

I can subnet any question at subnettingquestions.com now without issue. Any other sites for subnetting scenarios that I should look at for practice?

Make up your own! :)

Open up GNS3 and say, "okay, my ISP gave me the address 12.34.4.0/22. I've got 3 locations, East Buttsville, West Buttsville, and then those jerks over in Weinerville. I've got to set up a WAN connection between the 3 locations. E. Buttsville has 4 departments across two buildings, W. Buttsville is just one department, and Weinerville is a big headquarters with 4 floors and 9 departments." And then just map it out in GNS3 and start configuring and get it working!

That's what helped me out the most was pretending I was a Network Admin for a brand new company and coming up with everything from scratch. Plus it's kinda fun!

edit-- Unless you're just working on subnetting and haven't gotten to the networking/routing stuff yet. In that case, I'd say you can probably move on from subnetting and start the next topic - if you're that confident on SNQ.com, you're probably good for now.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Going for my VCP next month .. cannot wait too!

I have been managing an ESX(just upgraded to ESXi 5.1u1) cluster for a year now that consists of about 24 hosts and 800+ VMs and I love it. Took the install/configure/manage course in November 2012. Also have been reading Mastering VMWare vSphere 5 and found it to be a great resource for the deeper topics.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Going for my VCP next month .. cannot wait too!

I have been managing an ESX(just upgraded to ESXi 5.1u1) cluster for a year now that consists of about 24 hosts and 800+ VMs and I love it. Took the install/configure/manage course in November 2012. Also have been reading Mastering VMWare vSphere 5 and found it to be a great resource for the deeper topics.

Nice! good luck man Just remember to read over the blueprint(IIRC they introduced some 5.1 stuff)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Attempt #3 on the 70-647 is scheduled for Thursday. I'm not failing this fucker again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Are there any gotcha books on 70-642 70-646 or 70-680 I should keep my eye out for?