Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

compton rear end terry posted:

Ryan Bader +295 cause gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

:drat:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

gently caress, Okami...I was so sure that he would win the fight.

gently caress it, put $45.00 to win $20.93 on Glover finishing. That'll cover 2/3 of my losses at least.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

YEAAAA BRAZILIAN LIDDELL

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

golden oldies pete posted:

i've ended up money the last couple of events so i'm going to keep going until i lose horribly
  • Jorge, Martins, Villefort, Spencer - 5.00
  • "Kevin" Souza - 2.50 for 6.56
  • Bagautinov - 2.50 for 3.33
  • Bagautinov, Natal, Trinaldo, Benavidez, Okami & Teixeira - 5.00 for 85.09
  • Benavidez, Okami & Teixeira/Bader goes over 1.5 rds - 10.00 for 55.20
  • Natal & Teixeira wins in Rd 3 - 5.00 for 53.33
  • Jacare Souza by Submission & Teixeira by K.O. - 5.00 for 42.00
  • Benavidez, Okami & Bader - 6.66 for 91.34 HAIL SATAN gently caress BRAZIL

fAIL

you played with fire and look what happened

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A stupid newbie question:

In the OP it says "The "slightly," unfortunately, is enough to make nearly every sports bet unwinnable over the long-term." Can someone elaborate on this? Let's say I started betting on UFC and I always put money on the favorite. Why wouldn't I be likely to come out on top in the long run?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

caiman posted:

In the OP it says "The "slightly," unfortunately, is enough to make nearly every sports bet unwinnable over the long-term." Can someone elaborate on this? Let's say I started betting on UFC and I always put money on the favorite. Why wouldn't I be likely to come out on top in the long run?

Your returns on heavily favored fighters would be tiny and one upset would really gently caress over your meager winnings.

MMA betting is only fun on underdog bets (MATT SERRA KNOCKED OUT GSP WOO I WON MONEY ON THAT NEVER FORGET!!!) or stupid parlays.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

caiman posted:

The house is going to try and make a little money every fight. If you kept betting on favourites you'd probably make small profits until you lost it all in an upset and considering it's MMA upsets aren't uncommon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Makes sense. So on average how common are upsets (I'm new to MMA too)? I would think if they didn't happen more than about every 1 in 5 fights, then a favorite-betting strategy would still be mildly profitable. But maybe they're more common than that?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

caiman posted:

Makes sense. So on average how common are upsets (I'm new to MMA too)? I would think if they didn't happen more than about every 1 in 5 fights, then a favorite-betting strategy would still be mildly profitable. But maybe they're more common than that?

Let my misadventures be an example.

I've recently bet on Anderson Silva, Machida, and Benson Henderson. :stare:

But I also bet on Anthony Perosh and Rothwell. Apparently the stupider a pick the better I do.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

caiman posted:

Betting favorites lose roughly a third of the time (if you exclude pick-em odds). Don't bet on MMA, but if you do make really stupid bets and post them in this thread.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
MMA is heavily bet on enough now that if there's a profitable overall angle like "bet on underdogs" (and there isn't anyways), a syndicate would have already figured it out and bet enough to make it unprofitable for the rest of the world. This isn't the good old days where a little public money in Vegas would create goofy lines.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My NFL betting supports my MMA idiocy betting.

I view MMA betting as more entertainment and rarely put more than $5 on a fighter.

(Except for $20 on A. Silva, Machida, and Benson ARGH!)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

caiman posted:

If 1 in 5 favourites lost the lines would be set so you come about just under even from the other four favourites winning. It's like in roulette, theres red, black and zero, you double your money if you correctly bet on red, but slightly less than half the fields are red.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Or you could just bet on Alpha Male fighters to win all non-title fights and lose all title fights and you would win every single time.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

caiman posted:

In sports betting everyone loses long-term because of the house edge (also known as the juice). For example, look at the current odds for Jones/Gustafsson on 5dimes.

Jones is at -650, which has an implied probability of 86.67%
Gustafsson is at +475, which has an implied probability of 17.39%

86.67% + 17.39% = 104.06% (a house edge of 4.06%)

The true odds for Jones/Gustafsson can be found by dividing the implied odds by the total implied odds.

Jones = 86.67% / 104.06% = 83.29%
Gustafsson = 17.39% / 104.06% = 16.71%

83.29% + 16.71% = 100%

So by betting on Jones you win 83.29% of the time but have to win 86.67% of the time to break even. For Gustafsson, you win 16.71% of the time but need to win 17.39% of the time to break even. The house edge makes it impossible to come out on top in the long run.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

vainman posted:

So by betting on Jones you win 83.29% of the time but have to win 86.67% of the time to break even. For Gustafsson, you win 16.71% of the time but need to win 17.39% of the time to break even. The house edge makes it impossible to come out on top in the long run.

Not impossible because there are people that make their living sports betting but its not easy, and i dont personally know of any that do it betting on MMA. Youre still betting against the average idiot bettor so even with the juice there is dead money to be found in certain lines at certain times, but way less than there used to be in MMA now that people know the sport a bit better

The unromantic part of sports betting is that to win you arent just picking who's going to win, its how much value there is in the line. Like if i think gustaffsson wins that fight in your example 25% of the time then there is some tiny value in taking that bet even though 3/4 times youre just throwing your money away. And then the part that makes MMA so high variance is if jones just destroys gustaffsson in the first round i have no way of knowing if there was expected value in my bet (aside from the obvious fact that it lost in this instance) since they wont be rematching, at least not under similar conditions. Whereas in Ball Spoarts teams play against each other a million times a season

Im way up lifetime in MMA betting but my bets are few and far between and i try to only take lines that i think have insanely high value (and it helps that i have rich gambler friends who will take action with no house edge) to make up for the crazy high short term variance. Like when i bet 500 bucks on Cain over Lesnar when he was a 3:1 underdog or something. Id take that bet all day whereas i wouldnt put more than a couple bucks on jones/gus just because i dont see any obvious value and i have no special insight into that one. I think jones probably does win around 85% of the time, maybe a tiny bit more but then why bet on it

tl;dr this avatar is cool

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I thought that Jacare being a favorite over Okami showed how stupid sports bettors were. The lesson is never listen to goons in general and me in particular.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I thought that Jacare being a favorite over Okami showed how stupid sports bettors were. The lesson is never listen to goons in general and me in particular.

Even knowing Okami got starched I think that line was silly.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Captain Log posted:

Even knowing Okami got starched I think that line was silly.

Why?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I personally pictured Okami jabbing and circling away for 15 minutes like he did versus Munoz. When Jacare pushed him into the fence right off the bat I knew it was over no matter how it ended. Okami's strength has always been controlling distance and I just assumed he would be able to do that effortlessly. Then again the only two fights I've seen Jacare in were versus Ed Herman and Chris Camozzi and I may have been underhyping him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The number of people who thought Jacare was going to get outstruck by Okami of all people was genuinely baffling to me.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

The number of people who thought Jacare was going to get outstruck by Okami of all people was genuinely baffling to me.

I agree, it was like everyone assumed bjj wizard=bad striker. Its been pretty clear that Jacare has been a very dangerous striker since the Rockhold fight.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Then again the only two fights I've seen Jacare in were versus Ed Herman and Chris Camozzi and I may have been underhyping him.

This was likely my undoing on this one.

syxxcowz
Jan 27, 2006

by angerbeet
Khabib Nurmagomedov -245
Pat Healy +205

Dustin Kimura -165
Mitch Gagnon +145

Gagnon and Healy look like good "upsets" to me

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

syxxcowz posted:

Khabib Nurmagomedov -245
Pat Healy +205

Dustin Kimura -165
Mitch Gagnon +145

Gagnon and Healy look like good "upsets" to me

i've got 50 on healy. those odds are just ridiculous. what he did to jim miller still has me waking up in the middle of the night sweating.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I havent been paying attention much in the leadup to this card but Healy at that line seems pretty wild

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I have 20 on Healy and 10 on Carmont because I'm a moron.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

$7.50 to win $9.75: Mitrione wins by TKO/KO +130
$10.00 to win $8.33: Matt Mitrione -120* vs Brendan Schaub
$2.50 to win $18.25: Guelmino wins by 3 round decision +730
$8.00 to win $18.40: Nandor Guelmino +230* vs Daniel Omielanczuk
$2 to win $59.91 parlay that will never hit: Jones, Barao, Mitrione, Carmont, Khabib, Jury, Menjivar, Thompson, Makdessi
$5.00 to win $13.15: Carmont wins by 3 round decision +263
$5.00 to win $3.09: Wineland/Barao starts round 3 -162
$9.20 to win $5.86: Gustafsson/Jones starts round 3 -157

Not super excited for this weekend, hopefully I at least come out ahead.

Also I don't think Healy is gonna win, he did good against Miller but Miller always fades after one round. I think Khabib will keep it standing and outstrike him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Uh I have no idea why you'd think Miller fades after one round. Dude's had tons of three round fights where he looked fine.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

$10.00 to win $550.00 Pending 9/21/13 6:00pm Props Fighting 12021 Mike Ricci wins SUB of the Night +5500* vs Not SUB of the Night Winner/no winner
$10.00 to win $65.00 Pending 9/21/13 6:00pm Props Fighting 11011 Matt Mitrione wins KO of the night +650* vs Not KO of the Night Winner/no winner

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

vainman posted:

$10.00 to win $550.00 Pending 9/21/13 6:00pm Props Fighting 12021 Mike Ricci wins SUB of the Night +5500* vs Not SUB of the Night Winner/no winner
$10.00 to win $65.00 Pending 9/21/13 6:00pm Props Fighting 11011 Matt Mitrione wins KO of the night +650* vs Not KO of the Night Winner/no winner

Lol these bets own. Ricci for sub of the night is killer

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I dream big

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

vainman posted:

I'm very conflicted by your Ricci bet in that it's pretty wild a bad but man you have faith in Mike Ricci

props.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

attackmole posted:

Uh I have no idea why you'd think Miller fades after one round. Dude's had tons of three round fights where he looked fine.

Diaz, Bendo, Healy. Miller's good but he has always faded when put up against top 10 fighters. All of those guys beat the poo poo out of him after he started to slow down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrSmokes posted:

Diaz, Bendo, Healy. Miller's good but he has always faded when put up against top 10 fighters. All of those guys beat the poo poo out of him after he started to slow down.

I remember him getting mauled less in the 3rd round of the Bendo fight than earlier in the fight.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Meathead $5 to win $5
Bam Bam $3.33 to win $6.66
Parlayed both for $1.67 to win $8.34

Total $10 to win $20

All I need is one of these dudes to win to break even, but what a windfall in deed if they both win.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Welp. Apparently the oddsmakers were right on Pat Healy. Didn't expect that. I haven't seen odds deviate from rankings/fighter perception that much in a while, but poo poo, guess it didn't pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Put some money on Jones to win because if he loses ill be so happy I wont care I lost money.