Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I'm looking for some advice/recommendations.

Up until a few months ago, I had been using an HP Pavilion dv6700se I got back in 2008, but the bezel/hinge broke and that subsequently caused the backlight on the screen to fail. Since then, I've been using an Asus TF700T for day-to-day use, but I'm back at school now and I don't think a tablet will cut it for everything I'll need as a student. I'll mainly need a machine for working in Eclipse, word processing, general internet usage, some light gaming if I ever find time for it, and potentially Mathematica. I also commute to campus, so battery life and durability (I like to think I'm pretty careful with my electronics, though) are pretty important as well.

I was holding off for the T440s, but after thinking about timetables and seeing the most recent info on them, I'm taking a second look at alternatives. Possibilities include a semi-tricked-out T430, a Y410p, one of the MBAs, or anything else if there's something that'll be a better fit for me. I took a look at the Airs in Best Buy today on my way home and they look nice and are incredibly thin, but I've been raised on Windows all my life and have basically never used a Mac, so I'm completely :psyduck: when it comes to anything related to them and don't know if it would be such a good idea getting one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is pretty flexible, but I'd prefer not to spend frivolously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Up until a few months ago, I had been using an HP Pavilion dv6700se I got back in 2008, but the bezel/hinge broke and that subsequently caused the backlight on the screen to fail. Since then, I've been using an Asus TF700T for day-to-day use, but I'm back at school now and I don't think a tablet will cut it for everything I'll need as a student. I'll mainly need a machine for working in Eclipse, word processing, general internet usage, some light gaming if I ever find time for it, and potentially Mathematica. I also commute to campus, so battery life and durability (I like to think I'm pretty careful with my electronics, though) are pretty important as well.

I was holding off for the T440s, but after thinking about timetables and seeing the most recent info on them, I'm taking a second look at alternatives. Possibilities include a semi-tricked-out T430, a Y410p, one of the MBAs, or anything else if there's something that'll be a better fit for me. I took a look at the Airs in Best Buy today on my way home and they look nice and are incredibly thin, but I've been raised on Windows all my life and have basically never used a Mac, so I'm completely :psyduck: when it comes to anything related to them and don't know if it would be such a good idea getting one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is pretty flexible, but I'd prefer not to spend frivolously.

All of the Y410p buyers have been perpetually high fiving each other all week. It's a solid laptop with a great price and power, not without its problems but in my opinion it's the best game in town right now for people looking to spend under $1k and will continue to be that for at least the next couple of months

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 5, 2013

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

unpronounceable posted:

Googled Lenovo barnes and noble canada, and on the notebook review forum, I found this link.

Sorry I should have mentioned - I do know of that site from Googling but I didn't know the password.

mewse posted:

Yup, password is fndepp

For anyone else who uses this later - the password is case sensitive. I typed "fndepp" a bunch of times before I tried it in all caps and it worked. Thanks!

Edit - so for clarity, it's actually FNDEPP

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 5, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Games on HD4400 will probably suck, though. The T440 will probably use a full-TDP processor and therefore HD5100, so that might be a better pick if you plan on doing anything more intensive than 2D games.
Yeah, I bet you'd like that. Too bad you'll be stuck with the HD4400 because Lenovo wants literally no one to be satisfied by the T440:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/lenovo-ultrabooks-219-haswell-radeon,24063.html posted:

The Lenovo T440 is a four pound, 21mm thick 14” ultrabook. It can be configured with an HD+ touchscreen display, Intel Haswell i5 CPU with HD 4400 graphics, up to 12GB of DDR3L memory, and a 1TB hard drive or a 512GB SSD.
e; and don't get your hopes up over the T440s, either. By all accounts it appears to sport the same 15W processors, so while there is a possibility that they'll include the HD5000 as an option via a i7-4550U/4650U, that's only 5-15% faster (game dependent), and will probably cost you quite a bit of money. The only real way to escape the HD4400 hole at this point appears to be to buy a Euro version with the 730M, but I can't imagine that being a sensible option.

There is some faint hope that the US versions will not totally suck, though, as apparently some of the Lenovo training docs and whatnot have pointed to AMD dGPUs and possibly 28W processors. Who knows?

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 5, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

Sorry I should have mentioned - I do know of that site from Googling but I didn't know the password.

I'm not sure what happened when I copied it, but the link on that forum works just fine; I didn't need the password at all for it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

For what it's worth, I've been a life-long windows user as well that got a macbook air. Sure there are a few idiosyncrasies that you have to get used to, like cut/paste being weird, navigating right click menus, and button combinations, but after a couple weeks I'm getting the hang of it. For the stuff that osx can't do or do very well, I just use a windows vm (which is only ~10gb for the base install).

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

So here are some specs that I'm thinking for the 430s.

Intel Core i7-3520M
14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900)
NVIDIA Optimus Graphics (NVS 5200M, 1GB)
8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

$1,048.32

Everything else is standard. Should I be putting as much as I am into the processor or will the difference between the i7-3520 and the i5-3320M be only marginal?

I hate to be someone going "hey, hey" but does anyone have any recommendations about this build of the 430s? Flying blind in laptop land.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On Terra Firma posted:

I hate to be someone going "hey, hey" but does anyone have any recommendations about this build of the 430s? Flying blind in laptop land.

The i7 is still dual-core and at most 10% faster than the i5, so keep that in mind. Otherwise it's fine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

The i7 is still dual-core and at most 10% faster than the i5, so keep that in mind. Otherwise it's fine.
Also remember that you can get 4GB of RAM (like this for $40, so if the 4GB -> 8GB upgrade is more than that, consider doing that part yourself and saving a few bucks.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Everyone hated the black color scheme of the old ThinkPads. Now everyone is bitching about the gray ones!

There's a huge bunch of people who just hate jive shiny plastic poo poo in general, and love anything in matte (that's me). I don't think the new ones are too far from matte black, so I'd say the color is the least of its trouble. I'd say they're probably still worth buying over the rest of the brands involved in the race to the manufacturing pits of hell. Power users and business buyers may not like to admit it at all, but the aesthetics of the Thinkpad are a huge reason they're into them, and I think that part of the line has been roughly maintained.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I bet you'd like that. Too bad you'll be stuck with the HD4400 because Lenovo wants literally no one to be satisfied by the T440:
What the gently caress why are they using a 15W TDP processor in a full-size SKU. If they do this for the mythical -p model I am going to scream.

e: there was some hubbub over HD5000 in a driver download for the T440s but who cares about HD5000, the TDP limit makes it as pointless as Lenovo's model differentiation strategy

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 5, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

What the gently caress why are they using a 15W TDP processor in a full-size SKU. If they do this for the mythical -p model I am going to scream.

e: there was some hubbub over HD5000 in a driver download for the T440s but who cares about HD5000, the TDP limit makes it as pointless as Lenovo's model differentiation strategy

It might be a supply-related issue, with the later -p model indicating the introduction of regular powered mobile chips. Of course I'm basing this only off of a hazy recollection of Intel's cryptic press releases referring to Iris Pro slowly spreading out over its model range over the next year and a really slow rollout of Haswell or something like that.

Either that or it's just because the exec in charge of non-Thinkpad Lenovo USA is now running Thinkpad and is working the same magic on the Thinkpad model lineup that he used to do with the regular consumer Lenovo lineup, with its long lists of nearly indistinguishable models.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 5, 2013

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Also possibly a wait for new Quadros for the -p announcement, but there's been pretty much nothing but silence on that front.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

DrDork posted:

Also remember that you can get 4GB of RAM (like this for $40, so if the 4GB -> 8GB upgrade is more than that, consider doing that part yourself and saving a few bucks.

Is it ok to mix and match ram like this? Will any PC 12800 stick do?

Also learning to use the clit mouse is really hard.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, after seeing a friend's T431s and trying out the horrible new clickpad, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that enough big corporate clients complain that they eventually change things back. Though I doubt that will ever happen unless some internal politics goes down and there's another executive reshuffle. Which may well occur, since their idea to turn the Think brand into a premium consumer line (with even proposed brand stores like Apple stores) is kind of retarded and will probably only end in tears.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 5, 2013

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I hate to ask this, because I know it's been answered here before, but I can't find it: As someone whose work is primarily text-based (not coding, but lots of writing/editing), should I be wary of going with the 1920x1080 display on the T530 for fear of too-small text? Or, if that's a problem, can I scale it upward without serious issue? My memory suggests that the answer to this question is, "It's not a concern," but I've been reading notebookreview's forum thread on the T530 and a bunch of people there advised purchasing the middle-of-the-road display for this reason. On the other hand, that was like 6+ months ago, so maybe text scaling is a lot better now?

A handful of other questions before I finally click that "Buy" button:

- What sort of use case would I need to have in order for the i5-3320M to make sense instead of the i5-3230M? It seems like a very slight (imperceptible?) power difference.
- I'm 99.999999% certain that the answer is yes, but this SSD is compatible with the T530, right?
- Is this a good/compatible stick of RAM to add to the base 4 GB of RAM? Is it OK for the two sticks to have different amounts of RAM? If I went with this instead, would I actually notice a difference for the premium price?
- If I don't intend to play any games made after 2010 (and even then, only very rarely), should I add the NVIDIA Optimus dGPU, or should I skip that?
- (Take it or leave it questions, for those with extra time) What the hell is an Express Card? What's a 4-in-1 Card Reader for? Why would I need a Smart Card Reader? Looking around, apparently the T530 has a tendency to creak if it has a Smart Card Reader that isn't actually being used. After reading the little "Help me decide" explanation, I'm still not too clear on it, but I suspect that that means that I probably won't end up using any of it anyway.

Help is much appreciated, thank you!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

surf rock posted:

I hate to ask this, because I know it's been answered here before, but I can't find it: As someone whose work is primarily text-based (not coding, but lots of writing/editing), should I be wary of going with the 1920x1080 display on the T530 for fear of too-small text? Or, if that's a problem, can I scale it upward without serious issue? My memory suggests that the answer to this question is, "It's not a concern,"

Quoth the OP;

code:
-Laptops-
Screen size, Vertical Resolution, PPI, Description
15" 1080 - 145 ppi hi- end 15" laptop
15" 900 -  120 ppi mid ran 15" laptop
15" 768 -  103 ppi low end 15" laptop

14" 900 -  131 ppi mid ran 14" laptop
14" 768 -  112 ppi low end 14" laptop

13" 1600 - 226 ppi MBPr    13" laptop 
13" 900 -  127 ppi mac bk  13" laptop
12" 768 -  125 ppi mid ran 12" laptop
11" 768 -  135 ppi mac bk  11" laptop

-Phones-
5.0" 1080 - 441 ppi high end Galaxy S4
4.8"  720 - 305 ppi high end Galaxy S3
4.7"  768 - 318 ppi high end Nexus 4
4.0"  480 - 223 ppi low  end Nexus S
3.5"  640 - 325 ppi high end iPhone 5
2.9"  640 - 329 ppi mid rang iPhone 4
So no, it shouldn't be an issue, 145 ppi is slightly higher than normal (1600x900 on a 14" display = 131 ppi is considered very acceptable here), but it's not a retina display by any stretch of the imagination (in fact, it's almost exactly half the pixel density of retina)

3320 has some additional high end VM things which you won't use (google VT-d) but I bought the 3320 upgrade anyways because I am goony as gently caress, and that stick of RAM is fine

Blurb
Jul 1, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

All of the Y410p buyers have been perpetually high fiving each other all week. It's a solid laptop with a great price and power, not without its problems but in my opinion it's the best game in town right now for people looking to spend under $1k and will continue to be that for at least the next couple of months

The capdoorbuster sale is over.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

QuarkJets posted:

The reviews I've seen for the Y410p all mention that the wireless reception is a bit weak, is there anyway to fix that or are you just stuck with it as is?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

USB Wifi adapters are around. Some of them are the size of like a jelly bean these days.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jean Eric Burn posted:

USB Wifi adapters are around. Some of them are the size of like a jelly bean these days.
To be fair, ones that small are unlikely to sport the type of antenna that would give noticeably better performance than whatever's already in the laptop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Any recommendations that'd work well with the y410p?

Also while it's a nice computer everyone who says "Lenovo computers take a month to arrive" do mean a literal month.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MatCauthon posted:

The reviews I've seen for the Y410p all mention that the wireless reception is a bit weak, is there anyway to fix that or are you just stuck with it as is?

From what I've read, it's just a bug with its IPv6 settings, so you can disable it for now until there's a patch that fixes it

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
Back in early 2011 I bought a TimelineX 3820TG from Acer. Since then, I have managed to pour about half a liter of water over it and I have dragged it across the Atlantic a few times. It is definitely showing signs of aging and damage and I am looking to buy a replacement. Are there any spiritual successors to the TimelineX series or similar releases from other brands that I should have a look at?

The main thing I liked about the TimelineX was the balance between size (13" screen), battery life and performance (it still runs new games, albeit not on high, but I don't care too much about that).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

MatCauthon posted:

I asked about this earlier in the thread but it got lost between all posts about which shade of gray the T440 is, is there a way to replace the 6230 or whatever it comes with, with a 6300 or one of those Killer cards? or is it soldered in or something?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt the card is the issue, its more likely to be the antenna

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Hadlock posted:

Quoth the OP;

So no, it shouldn't be an issue, 145 ppi is slightly higher than normal (1600x900 on a 14" display = 131 ppi is considered very acceptable here), but it's not a retina display by any stretch of the imagination (in fact, it's almost exactly half the pixel density of retina)

3320 has some additional high end VM things which you won't use (google VT-d) but I bought the 3320 upgrade anyways because I am goony as gently caress, and that stick of RAM is fine

Thanks!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-hands-on/

Well gently caress me. I hope I can still return my yoga!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

I doubt the card is the issue, its more likely to be the antenna

Actually, most of the reading I've done on it indicates it's a driver issue. Apparently if you uninstall Intel Proset and roll back to the built in windows version of the driver (14.x), the wifi is fine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Holy balls! 1080p would have sufficed for a Haswell Yoga and then they go and pull this crazy poo poo. Not too sure if lopping off all that weight is such a great thing though if it means taking it out of the battery. A smaller battery could just wipe out the gains from Haswell, leading us nowhere.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Seamonster posted:

Holy balls! 1080p would have sufficed for a Haswell Yoga and then they go and pull this crazy poo poo. Not too sure if lopping off all that weight is such a great thing though if it means taking it out of the battery. A smaller battery could just wipe out the gains from Haswell, leading us nowhere.

The battery life is up to 9 hours from 6, as well
Edit: just talked to lenovo, I'm able to return mine :toot:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 5, 2013

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Brut posted:

I asked about this earlier in the thread but it got lost between all posts about which shade of gray the T440 is, is there a way to replace the 6230 or whatever it comes with, with a 6300 or one of those Killer cards? or is it soldered in or something?

Unless Lenovo has changed their position since 2008, you cannot install 3rd party internal wireless cards into their laptops. The BIOS/UEFI has a card whitelist, and halts the boot process if it detects a non-Lenovo card. Getting around this either hacking the BIOS, card ID/driver, or a second mini PCIe slot and some tape.

Their stated reason for doing all this is to enforce regional regulations on frequency use and transmission power.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Unless Lenovo has changed their position since 2008, you cannot install 3rd party internal wireless cards into their laptops. The BIOS/UEFI has a card whitelist, and halts the boot process if it detects a non-Lenovo card. Getting around this either hacking the BIOS, card ID/driver, or a second mini PCIe slot and some tape.

Their stated reason for doing all this is to enforce regional regulations on frequency use and transmission power.

Also isn't the line between the various wireless options the number of antennas? If so then I think that means you'd have to also route and install another antenna.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Lets just hope that Lenovo is using a U series (15W) CPU and not one of the new Y series (11W) to get that battery life.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Haven't seen much about the X240 in this thread. Apparently it will also have a 1920x1080 IPS option. AnandTech also says late October for the new models, so 8 more weeks of waiting.

e: Doesn't actually say IPS in the article.

X240s?

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 5, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Haven't seen much about the X240 in this thread. Apparently it will also have a 1920x1080 IPS option. AnandTech also says late October for the new models, so 8 more weeks of waiting.

e: Doesn't actually say IPS in the article.

X240s?

There was a X230s (formerly x231s) that came out in China with a clickpad, thinner design, ULV chips, internal battery, and reduced connectivity (only 2 USB ports, no VGA, and no dock due to new hinge design).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 5, 2013

helpy
Jan 1, 2008
I am looking for a laptop upgrade for my wife, budget is USD 900. We are coming from a netbook which she was mostly happy with aside from a bunch of Windows 7 starter edition complaints. We would like to have it on hand by the end of September. She would like to keep the screen under 14 inches. She will be using it to browse the internet, facebook, and some photo editing. I had a T430 spec'd out and ready for purchase but it is a non-starter for her because she hates the design. I started poking around Amazon and saw these listings and wondered what the thread thinks of them:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Zenbook-Ultrabook-i5-3317U-Processor/dp/B009SV0SHM/

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Ultrabook-S7-391-6413-Touchscreen-i5-3337U/dp/B00BJOWXMY

Any input is appreciated.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

There was a X230s (formerly x231s) that came out in China with a clickpad, thinner design, ULV chips, internal battery, and reduced connectivity (only 2 USB ports, no VGA, and no dock due to new hinge design).

Where can you get one of these? A budget-spec Thinkpad would be really nice (because the x130e was a bit weird when it came to QC).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Asus just announced a buttload of new products, including 2 nice looking Zenbooks.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048142/asus-demos-two-new-zenbooks-three-transformers-and-an-ultraportable-laptop-at-ifa.html

What's the general consensus on Asus build quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sports posted:

Where can you get one of these? A budget-spec Thinkpad would be really nice (because the x130e was a bit weird when it came to QC).

It's China-only and more expensive than a regular X230 with an msrp of 7400 yuan (about $1300 US) vs. ~5300 for a regular x230. It's supposed to be a sort of carbon version of the x series.

I also bought a new x130e for like $275 hoping it would measure up to the x120e, and I agree that they're pretty awfully designed machines. It wasn't a terrible deal because of the price but I can't imagine paying full price for one. And that screen, my god. The worst screen I've ever seen. Like borderline unusuable because of the horrible view angles worse than my 00s era LCDs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 5, 2013