Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Would there be any way to repair that rim or is it fubar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Midniter posted:

Jb weld it *spits in coke can*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm fairly sure you could find someone who would drill the damage out, weld it up and grind it smooth. I'm not saying that's safe but it could be done.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Midniter posted:

I'd be finding out really fast if the company I bought them from has a "you're not gonna believe this poo poo" warranty.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Why would you want a new rim under warranty?
A NAIL went through the rim. How does that happen and how weak and soft are those rims?
I'd rather get new rims that are impervious to nails, ie decent normal rims.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

Why would you want a new rim under warranty?
A NAIL went through the rim. How does that happen and how weak and soft are those rims?
I'd rather get new rims that are impervious to nails, ie decent normal rims.

I'm not a machinist or metallurgist, but I would think that would be a freak occurrence, and completely explainable by the fact that steel/iron nails can go through a lot with enough force.

Basically, if you don't want heavy all-steel rims, you're going to have to deal with the fact that steel will be harder than your rim's metal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm not a machinist or metallurgist, but I would think that would be a freak occurrence, and completely explainable by the fact that steel/iron nails can go through a lot with enough force.

Basically, if you don't want heavy all-steel rims, you're going to have to deal with the fact that steel will be harder than your rim's metal.

This and I am a machinist and engineer.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks like you've created a market for titanium wheels.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xp67 posted:

Looks like you've created a market for titanium wheels.

A market that thinks: "I want a wheel that's heavier than my current wheel without good reason."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

CarForumPoster posted:

A market that thinks: "I want a wheel that's heavier than my current wheel without good reason."

Add a rusted hood, and some "illest" stickers, and you've got yourself a Polo/Jetta owner.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Titanium is lighter than most steels and aluminiums for the same performance.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That REALLY depends on the alloy of aluminum and titanium

e: and what metric of performance you're using too I guess

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

totalnewbie posted:

If that were the case we'd see Ti wheels on race cars / race bikes instead of Magnesium.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BlackMK4 posted:

If that were the case we'd see Ti wheels on race cars / race bikes instead of Magnesium.

I would hazard a guess that a titanium wheel with the same weight and performance of a magnesium wheel would be so expensive that even a Formula 1 team would think twice about the cost. High performance titanium alloys are fantastically expensive (and often very difficult to work with).

Considering there are already a few out there, you're far more likely to see carbon fiber wheels become mainstream before anything else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At the same time, you know they've tried doing it and if it offered some type of advantage it'd be in use. I can't imagine a team with a half a billion dollar budget a year would leave something on the table, especially since F1 bans composite wheels.

I know CF wheels for motorcycles are somewhat common with the bling people, but they seem to be mostly banned by racing orgs due to questionable longevity.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Material choice is a complicated issue.

When it comes to wheels, you're basically looking at the trade-off between light-weight vs strength vs. cost (basic material cost and fabrication cost).

Roughly, you can put the three ideas on a triangle with each property on a vertex. Obviously, steel wheels sit somewhere close to the line between strength and cost. Aluminium obviously sits somewhere away from that line. As for titanium and magnesium, what you might find is that (for various considerations I'm not familiar with and can't guess at), the benefits of titanium over magnesium is too much overshadowed by cost, and thus you have no titanium wheels.

Or, perhaps there are other issues with titanium that are not experienced by magnesium (for example, ease of fabrication) that really kills the idea.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
How much force would that have taken to happen?

Here's the friction plate from my old VW Polo, this happened 200 miles from home. I could have driven it, but I had breakdown cover with return from anywhere on it, so I opted for a comfortable coach ride instead.

Falken fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 5, 2013

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Could it be that the nail was so perfectly positioned, and steadily held, that the revolutions of the wheel gave it a number of poundings.

I've never before considered what it would take to hammer a nail through an alloy rim, but I'd wager it could be done, given the nail didn't bend first.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CarForumPoster posted:

You have not heard of rims bigger than 18"? There's a huge market for that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Part of me says that this is a nailgun doing this and not the obscene terror of some kicked-up 1,000MPH nail flying through the air.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

totalnewbie posted:

No. The density per tensile strength of 6Al-4V vs a high strength wrought aluminum like 7075 is about the same. That Ti alloy is 60% more dense than 7075. When you add in safety factors the aluminum design will usually be slightly lighter unless you're designing for very high cycle fatigue where its possible the titanium will be slightly lighter only through very good design.

MrChips posted:

I would hazard a guess that a titanium wheel with the same weight and performance of a magnesium wheel would be so expensive that even a Formula 1 team would think twice about the cost. High performance titanium alloys are fantastically expensive (and often very difficult to work with).

Considering there are already a few out there, you're far more likely to see carbon fiber wheels become mainstream before anything else.

Titanium isn't THAT expensive. Ceramic composites are more expensive for sure when you add in manufacturing cost and they dont blink at new brake discs and NDT every couple of races or every race. Titanium brakes would be way cheaper (and shittier)

bolind posted:

Could it be that the nail was so perfectly positioned, and steadily held, that the revolutions of the wheel gave it a number of poundings.

I've never before considered what it would take to hammer a nail through an alloy rim, but I'd wager it could be done, given the nail didn't bend first.

Ive penetrated a ford ranger aluminum alloy with a 12 gauge slug. if that nail was in the corner of a board and got ripped out upon penetrating the wheel it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 5, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really need to start a business selling people car components made out of completely inappropriate but exotic-sounding material for five times what would be considered reasonable. Line up for your Inconel lug nuts here, folks!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I really need to start a business selling people car components made out of completely inappropriate but exotic-sounding material for five times what would be considered reasonable. Line up for your Inconel lug nuts here, folks!

And you need to name the company Because Racecar. :colbert:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Where do I get my teflon brake pedal covers and carbon fiber brake rotors? No wait, is that actually a thing? Or a wood steering wheel! I love them but think they are as inappropriate as hell.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

CarForumPoster posted:

No. The density per tensile strength of 6Al-4V vs a high strength wrought aluminum like 7075 is about the same. That Ti alloy is 60% more dense than 7075. When you add in safety factors the aluminum design will usually be slightly lighter unless you're designing for very high cycle fatigue where its possible the titanium will be slightly lighter only through very good design.

Most. Of course there are high-strength steels and aluminiums that beat titanium, but they are expensive and I'm not sure necessary for this application. Do you happen to know what alloys are used for wheels? I really don't; maybe they do use something like a 7075.

Also, did you say high-cycle fatigue? On a WHEEL? :P

InitialDave posted:

Inconel is hardly exotic :colbert: It's a fairly common nickel-chrome alloy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Plebs. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my new 22" titanium aluminide rimzzzzzz are. :smugdog:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I've always wanted to create some sort of structural part out of indium. (it screams when it's bent)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

totalnewbie posted:

Most. Of course there are high-strength steels and aluminiums that beat titanium, but they are expensive and I'm not sure necessary for this application. Do you happen to know what alloys are used for wheels? I really don't; maybe they do use something like a 7075.

Again, no. High strength aluminum that I am talking about are your cheap (relative to titanium) common wrought alloys. I am not talking about MMCs or anything exotic. For castings, 356. For billet wheels it will vary manufacturer to manufacturer, I'm betting most are plain ol' 6061/2024/7075.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Plebs. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my new 22" titanium aluminide rimzzzzzz are. :smugdog:

To this day it bugs me that TiAl doesnt actually cast any TiAl. :colbert:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 5, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ I'd think something like 7050 or 7075 6061 would be kind of soft no?

InitialDave posted:

If I was a billionaire I would buy an E34 M5 and have the entire unibody and suspension recreated in 6Al-4V

e: probably make the sheet metal out of 2024-T42

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 5, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

totalnewbie posted:

Inconel is hardly exotic :colbert: It's a fairly common nickel-chrome alloy.
:thejoke:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Get into bicycles. Titanium rotors are around now...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Carbon fiber weave belted radials.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

West SAAB Story posted:

Carbon fiber weave belted radials.

These are (kinda similar) out in the motorcycle world for normal street tires - Dunlop Q3.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wasn't there some guy who made tow hooks for S2000s or something out of 6-4 for something obscene like $1500/part?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rscott posted:

Wasn't there some guy who made tow hooks for S2000s or something out of 6-4 for something obscene like $1500/part?

Theres this guy who makes them for $390... http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=gtr&cat=exterior&prodid=3647

...on what looks like a water jet judging by the surface finish of the un-anodized part...

$40 worth of titanium + 15 minutes in cad software + cut by pressing a button then dipping in some liquids. If only there were enough idiots to sell them in any volume.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's loving terrible. Ugly, simple design with a side of tasteless 'burn color.'

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

That's loving terrible. Ugly, simple design with a side of tasteless 'burn color.'

I don't like the shape. It doesn't look all that strong. But what would I know. Repackage them as Audiophile grade resonance loops and sell them for $1500

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

Theres this guy who makes them for $390... http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=gtr&cat=exterior&prodid=3647

...on what looks like a water jet judging by the surface finish of the un-anodized part...

$40 worth of titanium + 15 minutes in cad software + cut by pressing a button then dipping in some liquids. If only there were enough idiots to sell them in any volume.

Sorry to quote myself but the guy sells his advice...

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=wrx&cat=turbo&prodid=4977 posted:

Our advise starts at $100 per hour, with a minimum 1 hour charge, maximum of 5 hour charge. We'll help walk you through an install, assist you in scrutinizing that used parts purchase, etc!

...he cant actually spell advice and yet thinks his is worth the same as a lawyers.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
These are the tow hooks you're looking for:

http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=1185

Only 2500 for some loving 7075-AL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Crustashio posted:

These are the tow hooks you're looking for:

http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=1185

Only 2500 for some loving 7075-AL.

hahahahahahahahaha

due to public demand (being non existent because no one that stupid has that much disposable income) were only producing 10 sets!

EDIT: By the way unless the car is configured in such a way they cant put a rib on where the thing would actually be pulled in tension nor can they put the hook in the middle of the thing that is an absolutely poo poo design.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 5, 2013