Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My safaris just cannot handle being tossed around a bunch. I keep them in a pad folio. I've been keeping a separate set of work pens since theyve been leaking significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

68k posted:

Question about the Noodler's Ahab:

I've had mine for about a month now. It's a fun pen, and the nib seems to be performing better the more I've used it. However, I have one problem with the pen, and I'm not sure if it's normal or if mine has a defect. A significant amount of ink is constantly ending up in the cap. It's so much that every time I uncap it, I have to use a cloth to wipe down the section or my hand would get inked up pretty badly. It thought that perhaps there was a bad seal between the feed/nib and section (or somewhere). I routinely disassemble the pen completely and wash it, but the problem always comes back within a day or so.

One caveat: I've been attempting to use the pen on a daily basis, which may be part of the problem since I have been carrying it with me in my planner all day at work. I'm constantly on the move at work, which means my planner gets tossed around in my bag often. It may just be that the pen cannot handle that type of activity, although I could sling my Safari around all day and never have any issues at all. Does this sound like a possible defect, or is this pen simply not able to stand up to that kind of use?

I have an Ahab and had exactly the same problems with it. And yeah, the only thing that seemed to solve it was to only use it at home, and not let it get carried around in a bag or such.

My Safari and Pilot Metro will take any abuse I throw at them, however. No leakage no matter how badly I roll them around in a school bag.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Welsper posted:

Would anyone be interested in a bottle of Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki?

Sending you a PM about this :)

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I got a broad nib from gouletpens to replace the medium that came on my VAC700. The goulet #6 nib body seems very slightly wider than the default TWSBI nib body, which seems to increase the distance between the tines somewhat when fitted.

As a consequence, I no longer have a pen, but a paintbrush;

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Welsper posted:

So I got a broad nib from gouletpens to replace the medium that came on my VAC700. The goulet #6 nib body seems very slightly wider than the default TWSBI nib body, which seems to increase the distance between the tines somewhat when fitted.

As a consequence, I no longer have a pen, but a paintbrush;

Looks pretty great to me, but then I love really wet nibs. My Waterman Hemisphere writes so wet that Waterman Blue comes out almost black :v:.

That's a really nice red too, blood-reds are the greatest.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vitamins posted:

That's a really nice red too, blood-reds are the greatest.

With the clear centre of the VAC700, it looks like something I've filled from my forearm.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You guys are making me want to go back to Tsukushi. Dammit.

And this after I finished my bottle of Fuyu-shogun and went back to Kirisame, rediscovering how beautiful the latter is in the process.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

68k posted:

Question about the Noodler's Ahab:

I have one that I've been using for almost a year as a daily pen, but I did manage to solve this problem (my Noodler's Konrad was doing it too, I think it's because they have such wet feeds). I just got a pen case (it's just a soft roll-up style one like this http://www.jetpens.com/Saki-P-661-Roll-Pen-Case-with-Traditional-Japanese-Fabric-Purple/pd/7473 ) and I make sure that when I put it in my purse, the pens are oriented nib-up. I'm a bit more careful with it (I don't toss it around willy nilly like I used to), but most of the ink splatter going in in the cap was from me having it loose in my purse and my purse bouncing when I walked around.

As soon as I'm in a place where I can set my purse down, it's usually in a way so that the nibs are horizontal, so by the time I use them in class or at work or whatever, they aren't dried out and there's no ink in the cap :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Speaking of bloody reds, I'm liking my Sailor Jentle Grenade. It dries to a dark red with my 1.1 stub. The smears show a pink color but the writing does not show nearly the pink shade as this photo does.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Audax posted:

My safaris just cannot handle being tossed around a bunch. I keep them in a pad folio. I've been keeping a separate set of work pens since theyve been leaking significantly.

If you like the flat/round barrel shape and triangular grip you can get a Lamy al-Star, though the colors aren't as plentiful.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really wish Wonder Pens had samples. $16 shipping suuuuucks. :canada:

Does this seem like a good place to start for a newbies? My experience so far has been with a cheap disposable Pilot Vpen. .
Do I want a medium or fine nib?

Is there anything obvious I am missing. The metropolitan has the converter added on to the order/

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I might suggest either Noodler's Black or Heart of Darkness if you're trying for a black ink from them instead of the Bad blacl / polar black. I've been loving my Pilot Tsuki-yo which would be a nice blue-black for you as well. I do wish I'd have picked up a sample of Tiananmen though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm using Bad Black Moccasin as my main black ink, it isn't quite as flat/dark as some of the other black inks so be aware of that. I picked up a bunch of samples and preferred it over some of the others.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Selling a Lamy Safari, nibs, and some Fuyu-Syogun

Does anyone have experience using Sailor nano-carbon inks in demonstrators? I'm considering getting some Sei-Boku blue-black, but I'm worried about staining.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Welsper posted:

Selling a Lamy Safari, nibs, and some Fuyu-Syogun

Does anyone have experience using Sailor nano-carbon inks in demonstrators? I'm considering getting some Sei-Boku blue-black, but I'm worried about staining.

I use the ink in my pelikan m200 and the ink window does stain a bit.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So I've tracked down three brick and mortar stores that have fountain pen displays and inks of various sorts in the SF Bay Area. Here are some :words: about them:

Flax Art & Design, San Francisco - they have a whole fountain pen kiosk with nice ladies at the helm. They are happy to let you try out a variety of pens and have some Diamine blue ink handy for testing. There is a swab book available for all the inks they happen to carry - a variety of Noodler's (but not 54th Mass.), J. Herbin, Diamine, and some others. This is also pretty great as an actual art store, and they carry a pretty gigantic selection of papers (about a warehouse's worth) and many shelves of notebooks.

Maido, San Francisco - A Japanese gifts shop, they nevertheless have a nice pen selection and carry Iroshizuku inks. I spotted some Midori products including the Traveler's Notebook line; Tsubame notebooks; and some others that are fountain pen friendly. Their stock of inks and the Midori stuff is somewhat spotty though! They are nearby my work and it is dangerous to go there. They have a King of Pen.

Castle in the Air, Berkeley - I found this by chance when I was looking through Yelp, they are a small store but the people there are pretty wonderful. They have fancy hand-stitched custom leather wraparound books that have the 150g+ paper with the spackling for all you water colorists - a 2x4" book costs $84 bucks, woah. They carry Clariefontaine classic spiral notebooks and both the standard Rhodia pads and the Rhodia "R" series which has thicker, smoother paper. They also have a quaint cabinet full of Noodler's (including the stuff that Flax didn't have handey), a few bottles of Iroshizuku, and some others like india inks and such. They also sell calligraphy dip pens with the steel flex nibs and also glass dip pens (which are super fragile, please don't drop one in your sink when cleaning it).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

JP Money posted:

I might suggest either Noodler's Black or Heart of Darkness if you're trying for a black ink from them instead of the Bad blacl / polar black. I've been loving my Pilot Tsuki-yo which would be a nice blue-black for you as well. I do wish I'd have picked up a sample of Tiananmen though.

I threw on HOD on there since it seems to be the black.

Am I missing anything like syringes or anything for refilling the pens? Or any other accessories that are must haves?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I am looking at getting an antique/crystal ink and quill set for my wife for her birthday. Besides an E-Bay or Google search I am not sure where to start, does anybody have a store recommendation that might carry something along those lines?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rythe posted:

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I am looking at getting an antique/crystal ink and quill set for my wife for her birthday. Besides an E-Bay or Google search I am not sure where to start, does anybody have a store recommendation that might carry something along those lines?

Not antique but maybe it's close enough? http://www.gouletpens.com/Rohrer_Klingner_Glass_Pens_s/1251.htm

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

aldantefax posted:

So I've tracked down three brick and mortar stores that have fountain pen displays and inks of various sorts in the SF Bay Area

Have you joined the SF Pen Posse yet? We usually meet in Millbrae.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Have you joined the SF Pen Posse yet? We usually meet in Millbrae.

poo poo, a posse? Hook me up.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I am curious if anyone has experience switching out nibs on a Monteverde. I have the black stealth Monteverde Invincia Stylus and I want to replace the black nib with the chrome one. Goulet Pens/Ink Nouveau has a vid on it, and it seems fairly simple. However, I wanted to know if anybody has actually done it, what their experience was, and were there any problems you encountered.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

aldantefax posted:

poo poo, a posse? Hook me up.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157316137670380/

Poom!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thinking about taking the plunge with a pilot metro, though I don't think I really want to go crazy with the paper buying. What's a good blue black ink that would be suitable for use in a pilot metro on standard office papers and notepads without bleeding/etc?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thinking about taking the plunge with a pilot metro, though I don't think I really want to go crazy with the paper buying. What's a good blue black ink that would be suitable for use in a pilot metro on standard office papers and notepads without bleeding/etc?

I have a Pilot Metro that I use almost exclusively in the office on regular paper, and I always keep it full of Noodler's Blue Black or Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black. The regular blue black is a bit more blue than black with some neat green undertones. The Air Corp Blue Black is weird in that the color looks different depending on what you are writing on. It comes across as fairly black on a lot of my cheap office paper (more black than blue , but with some definite blue in it). It also has some really neat greenish tinge to it (and I don't particularly care for green ink, and even I liked the way this look). These are 2 of my favorite inks, and I highly recommend both. They have a good color and behave fairly well on a range of papers. Still, I would maybe order some samples first and try for yourself before you invest in a whole bottle.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

oooooo samples :getin:

welp...

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GrAviTy84 posted:

welp...

I demand a review of Oxblood and Red Dragon when you get your hands on them, I ended up getting Tiananmen but Red Dragon may very well be the next one I get my hands on.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is hilarious every time this happens in the thread. :getin: Hope you love the pen, I sure love mine!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GrAviTy84 posted:

Bad Belted Kingfisher is one I'm having fun with, and I've heard great things about 54th Massachusetts. The thing I can't stand about Noodler's Blue/Black is that it has a green tinge to it that drives me nuts.

If you want a taste of some black magic, go for Baystate Blue. :getin:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
For handwriting practice today someone asked me to write out the lyrics to this song, but I got bored after the chorus:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So Read this thread's OP, been looking to get a fountain pen since I tried them out once and liked them better than ballpoint. Got me a Pilot Metro and a Bottle of Noodler's HoD per OP's reccomendations as a starter.

Now, I should be all set to go, but as a STUPID NEWBIE to this I'm not 100% sure how to fill the Metro with an eyedropper.

I know on the noodler pen that came with the ink I could just pour straight into the barrel, do Pilot pens work the same way once you take the converter/cartridge out? Or do I still need to use the converter as a reservoir for the pen?

Was tempted to just try it out and see what happens but that might end in a terrible mess.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Red-Leg Scissorman posted:

So Read this thread's OP, been looking to get a fountain pen since I tried them out once and liked them better than ballpoint. Got me a Pilot Metro and a Bottle of Noodler's HoD per OP's reccomendations as a starter.

Now, I should be all set to go, but as a STUPID NEWBIE to this I'm not 100% sure how to fill the Metro with an eyedropper.

I know on the noodler pen that came with the ink I could just pour straight into the barrel, do Pilot pens work the same way once you take the converter/cartridge out? Or do I still need to use the converter as a reservoir for the pen?

Was tempted to just try it out and see what happens but that might end in a terrible mess.

You don't.

Stick the pen in the bottle up to about the section, squeeze the converter, let go, wait ~10s, then repeat.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=423

And here's a handy video, although I don't think he touches upon the squeeze/aero fillers in it.

The general idea is the same, the pen that comes with HoD is actually intended to be used as an eyedropper, it's something of an odd bird.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The pen that came with your ink is a converter pen that has been specifically modified to work as an eyedropper. The Metropolitan is not an eyedropper pen, and if you attempt to use it as one, you'll probably have ink coming out all over the place. Stick to using the converter.

To fill the pen, attach the converter and twist it until the piston is as far towards the nib as it will go, then dip the pen into the ink all the way past the nib, up to the grip, so you create a full vacuum. Then twist the converter in the other direction to suck up ink.

You won't fill the converter all the way on your first fill, so you can futz around with it a bit to fill it up all the way, but it's not really a big deal. Just wipe off the nib and the grip and write away.

If you notice just a bit of ink gathering along the slit on the front of the nib, that's normal and is called nib creep. Unless it's excessive and dripping off of the nib, it's not considered a problem.

Edit: Whoops, just realized that the Metro comes with a squeeze converter by default, instead of the more common piston converters. Same instructions, but instead of twisting the converter, just squeeze it a few times to let it draw in ink.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Ah, that makes sense. Perfect then, I'm all set to go.

Thanks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have about 10 samples of various blue-blacks/dark blues (I do lean toward the more tealish/greenish ones) that I'm slowly working through. It'll probably be a while before I see all of them since I'm reusing a cartridge and getting a full fill each time so I can write with each one for a while and really get a feel for it.

The list:
Diamine Denim
Diamine Twilight
Noodler's 54th Massachusetts
Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black
Noodler's Blue Black
Noodler's Navy
Noodler's Q'Ternity
Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (Moonlight)
Private Reserve Ebony Blue
Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

So far I've used 54th Massachusetts and Verdigris, and I will suggest the latter if you really like 54th Mass but want something with less green. They are very similar but the Verdigris is slightly more blue.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I'm not a big fan of blue inks - they remind me of school - but my favorite blue-blacks are iron-gall blue blacks. Since you're on Goulet anyway, try the R+K Salix.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Red ink reminds me of school. :rimshot:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ah, that makes sense. Perfect then, I'm all set to go.

Thanks.

Unless the HoD bottle changed recently this will probably be hard as balls to do after some of the ink has been used up since it has such a narrow opening. You might want to consider getting an inkwell for it, or maybe just another color altogether for the Metro and any other pens you may get in the future. TWSBI makes really nice inkwells, but finding an empty bottle somewhere like eBay would be much cheaper, plus then you could get the one that looks like a shoe :haw:

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Gouletpens.com sells empty bottles. I use empty Lamy bottles as inkwells, but I can also highly recommend Sailor and Namiki bottles, as they have a little reservoir inside the bottle that holds ink near the opening and makes it super easy to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

mulls posted:

Gouletpens.com sells empty bottles. I use empty Lamy bottles as inkwells, but I can also highly recommend Sailor and Namiki bottles, as they have a little reservoir inside the bottle that holds ink near the opening and makes it super easy to fill.

Was going to mention this, just keep in mind that they don't stock Montblanc ink - so they don't have the really cool 'shoe' ink bottle.

I'm doing a few extra side jobs this weekend, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a VP and some J. Hebin Vert Olive. Can't wait to give it a try!