Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

(Another one sucked in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Whelp, two orders placed. Couldn't order the servo's on the original order because they were coming from a different warehouse. So, now it's a waiting game and gotta pick up stuff from the local hobby store.

You have just discovered the best most common part of RC. Waiting for packages from Hong Kong.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I think these guys are in Florida : http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php

I get batteries, servos, etc from them. Comparable to hobbyking prices. Horrible to try to actually communicate with but if you know what you want, it ships fast.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ease posted:

I get batteries, servos, etc from them. Comparable to hobbyking prices. Horrible to try to actually communicate with but if you know what you want, it ships fast.

Hmm, do you have any experience with their Gforce Lipos?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/1s-lipo/blade-120-sr-lipo.html

I've just upgraded my MCPX to brushless and once I get it flying properly, I'm going to need some 500mAh lipos.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So with evolving my flight abilities in mind, just how reusable would the motor/servo's/esc be with more advanced flitetest designs?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hmm, do you have any experience with their Gforce Lipos?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/1s-lipo/blade-120-sr-lipo.html

I've just upgraded my MCPX to brushless and once I get it flying properly, I'm going to need some 500mAh lipos.

I have a bigger one, it worked find until I crashed and bend it in half.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It will carry you up to just before the BabyBlender (Although I think the new FT Duster will work with your setup, but they haven't released the build for it yet).
After that you'll need a 24A ESC, 250W motor and some 1300-1800mAh 3s/4s lipos

Your servos/RX will be usuable for all of them.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A bigger motor can produce more torque and will draw a higher current (A), but will run at the same RPM per volt (Kv).
At least that's how I understand it :)

Kv rating is the RPM/V with no load. A bigger stator (motor coil) will have a higher top RPM at the same voltage with the same prop compared to a smaller stator. And yes, larger stators can usually handle more heat/more amps

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 31, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mashed_penguin posted:

You have just discovered the best most common part of RC. Waiting for packages from Hong Kong.

ease posted:

Valuehobby is in Illinois. They're alright.

I usually buy batteries/ESC/motors from Hobbyking's USA warehouse, or from Hobbypartz, which is in southern California: http://www.hobbypartz.com/

Small parts, some times motors, prop adapters from Heads Up RC in Florida: http://www.headsuphobby.com/

I'm buying a lot of glider-related stuff, and FrSky radio stuff from Aloft Hobbies http://www.alofthobbies.com/contact , who just moved to Novato, CA (northern California)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 31, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

What the gently caress!?

Air RC stuff was insanely expensive the last time I was into it. There are $50 Tx's now that are renown for being awesome? $25 lipo chargers?

I think my fairly broken and stripped down 3DHS planes might get rebuilt and I'm going to buy some gear again.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Hypnolobster posted:

What the gently caress!?

Air RC stuff was insanely expensive the last time I was into it. There are $50 Tx's now that are renown for being awesome? $25 lipo chargers?

I think my fairly broken and stripped down 3DHS planes might get rebuilt and I'm going to buy some gear again.

Yeah. EPS foam molded planes and chinese counterfeit electronics have pretty much democratized R/C for the everyman. Also the prevalence of cheap LiPoly batteries makes things a lot more accessible.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So far I've had very limited success in flying my bixler 2. I think part of the problem is trying to recover from a thrown launch, and having the throttle at a reasonable speed.

I bought the landing gear kit for the plane, but didn't install it thinking I'd rather not have the extra weight for when I get into FPV. But now I'm thinking it might be best to install it, so I can do gradual lift offs from the ground a foot up, and land again. Basically work my way really slowly.

Or is flight sims + lots of crashes/repairs the only real way forward?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not sure that flight sims are needed; they can help but nothing really compares to time operating the real machine. There's a reason you can't get a pilot's license from flight simulators alone. You'll learn more from crashes, I think.

Definitely install the landing gear and take it slow, though. If you have the option, try reducing your control throws so that the thing doesn't turn as fast, and only ever use part throttle.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not sure that flight sims are needed; they can help but nothing really compares to time operating the real machine. There's a reason you can't get a pilot's license from flight simulators alone. You'll learn more from crashes, I think.

A real flight sim can teach you a lot of the procedures that you need. I certainly found the flight sim invaluable when I was learning navigation and instrument flying.

Similarly, I found the RC Sims invaluable for learning to deal with orientations. Spend 10 mins every day just doing basic circuits and figure 8's. Further, it's always daylight and no wind in the RC Sims and you can fly any time you want.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Testing my DTF openlrs gear and 1.2 video. Really happy with the signal penetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Cd5FTN9wo

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ease posted:

Testing my DTF openlrs gear and 1.2 video. Really happy with the signal penetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Cd5FTN9wo
That is very cool, I really need to toss a camera on my radian just to play around with.

Today was a day of mixed results for RC.

Flew a couple packs through the nano QX (living room) and got more comfortable with it. Then it started acting up. In flight red light comes on and I don't have aileron/elevator control, throttle/rudder/tcut/etc are fine. Haven't figured it out yet.

Several packs through the nano CPx (living room) trying to remember how to fly these dang helicopters after a couple years off. Getting better at it but the cyclic seems to be hunting around without any input from me. Still flyable but not a smooth stable hover like I would like. Almost like the gain on the FBL controller? is too high or something is sticking.

T-Rex 250 got it all setup, wires ran neatly and the radio programmed. Tail will not stop hunting around, either gyro gain too high, slop or servo (align ds420). Need to make sure I'm adjusting gain correctly, which I doubt, on the 9xr which I'm still learning.

TT Mini Titan E325 is all setup, programmed and tail holding awesome. Spooled it up inside, scared myself and waiting to see if the weather will let up. Can't wait to get this thing dialed in and see what it can do, should be an impressive machine.

Still need to toss a OrangeRX in the PBF, Radian and old Raptor 30. I forgot how much I enjoy working on these things...even when there are issues. Perfect for when weather isn't great and you don't feel good.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm with you. I'm fairly afraid of my trex 450 clone. That poo poo is scary

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

NitroSpazzz posted:

I forgot how much I enjoy working on these things...even when there are issues. Perfect for when weather isn't great and you don't feel good.

Yes, there is something very relaxing about setting up these vehicles. I typically hop from hobby to hobby, but I've been pretty keen on flying things for about 3 years now. It doesn't get old to me, for some reason.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I mean it's no 810mm gas monster like the Bergen I wish I still had but in the confines of a living room it's a bit intimidating. Dang that Bergen (Gasser EB) was so huge and stable with just stupid long flight times but even I wouldn't attempt spooling that up inside.

<--- Trained professional, closed course, never attempt, etc.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 2, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally found some spare time and weather to get some more stick time on this one:

Really enjoying and are even starting to get some basic 3D turnarounds to work.
Apart from getting thrown around by the lightest breeze, it's super easy to fly and can take a beating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That thing looks like a blast. I DIY'd one of those years ago and loved it, I should find/buy/DIY one to use with my CD motor setup.

Flew a 1/2 pack through the Mini Titan today in the driveway, a bit tight on space but enough for me to get it trimmed in a bit and things setup. So smooth and pretty stable for it's size despite my flying skills being garbage. Need to see if I can add some resistance to the throttle stick on the 9xr or just get used to it, thing seems to jump around a lot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

NitroSpazzz posted:

That thing looks like a blast. I DIY'd one of those years ago and loved it, I should find/buy/DIY one to use with my CD motor setup.

Flew a 1/2 pack through the Mini Titan today in the driveway, a bit tight on space but enough for me to get it trimmed in a bit and things setup. So smooth and pretty stable for it's size despite my flying skills being garbage. Need to see if I can add some resistance to the throttle stick on the 9xr or just get used to it, thing seems to jump around a lot.

I didn't mind the throttle so much on mine, but I did mind the centering springs...I've totally become used to it now, though.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v60PjPg7XTI Here is ImplicitAssembler flying it. Filmed from my quad at the park today. We didn't crash into each other :toot:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We'll try harder next time..

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

So I did end up making it out to the precision flying air contest that the local club I found was having on Saturday and completely left there defeated.

I found the guy I had made contact with and started chatting. Told him about the RTF champ that I bought and all the parts/controller for the flitetest.com projects. Essentially said that I had wasted my money buying Chinese garbage and that I need to be careful of what people on the internet say as any kind of advice.

Told me I was welcome to come by and get instruction from one of their guys with their trainer plane which is pretty cool but I'm totally afraid to take my flitetest planes to their field for fear of being laughed out of the area. Thankfully, my yard and grandfathers land that's near me should provide ample flight space.

I can completely understand though that you get what you pay for and that good equipment can go a long way. I just don't think that some people understand that I want to decide if I like it before I drop a grand on some gear.

The guy totally appeared to be a pro flyer. Team Futaba gear from his head to toe. Even his planes (2 of them) had team Futaba decals all over them.

One of the most awesome things was being able to see all of those planes though. Boy they were pricey planes. It's amazing how small they get at such a quick rate too.

Edit: just thought to do a google search on team futaba and he's totally on their team page. Archie Stafford is the guy I met.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-pilots.html

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 3, 2013

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Eh, gently caress those people. I don't go near RC clubs because of them. It's fine if you want to buy overpriced gear, but don't poo poo on other people and be elitist. Clubs like that probably wonder why no young people want to join them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Told me I was welcome to come by and get instruction from one of their guys with their trainer plane which is pretty cool but I'm totally afraid to take my flitetest planes to their field for fear of being laughed out of the area. Thankfully, my yard and grandfathers land that's near me should provide ample flight space.

Make use of their trainer and BS with the other pilots but don't worry about them laughing at your planes. Everyone starts somewhere and most smart people don't go drop a thousand bucks on a plane/radio/etc, especially if they aren't sure they want to go into the hobby that seriously.

For reference when I started flying several of the guys had 1/4 and 1/3 scale planes, $1k+ radios and trailers just to haul the stuff to the field. I flew SPAD's put together with zip ties, aluminum u-channel, kitchen cutting board and depron. They laughed initially then saw how fun they were to fly and how well they crash, within 6 months everybody had at least one SPAD in the hanger.

SPAD's - Not pretty, mine never looked this good.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying
Yeah, I've visited the club in my area once and have never been back.
It was full of old retired types that were more concerned with playing air traffic controller than having fun flying.

They reminded me of the types of guys that insist you wear a conductor's cap when you go see their toy trains... DON'T MOVE THAT ONE! It's not scheduled to run until 3:45 PM.

Anyway, I'd like to think that they're just bitter that you can have fun now for significantly less money, time and tears than they did.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm really not to worried about it. At least until I go back on a normal day. Like I said, there was a flight contest going on at the field and it was closed to anyone not in the contest. I don't believe I saw a plane that was shorter the 3 1/2 - 4 ft in length and less than $2000 there. Lot of trailers with tents set up behind them. Generators and 2-3 planes. A lot of people were from surrounding states just there for the contest and most of the locals were elsewhere that day. They said that generally Sunday afternoons are their busy times so I'll go check it out again this Sunday. My Champ is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so maybe I'll take that out there to see if I get a better feeling.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah, I'm really not to worried about it. At least until I go back on a normal day. Like I said, there was a flight contest going on at the field and it was closed to anyone not in the contest. I don't believe I saw a plane that was shorter the 3 1/2 - 4 ft in length and less than $2000 there. Lot of trailers with tents set up behind them. Generators and 2-3 planes. A lot of people were from surrounding states just there for the contest and most of the locals were elsewhere that day. They said that generally Sunday afternoons are their busy times so I'll go check it out again this Sunday. My Champ is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so maybe I'll take that out there to see if I get a better feeling.

Oh yeah I missed the whole special event thing and the locals not being there. A lot of people that come in for events and stuff are full of themselves. Go when the locals are there and get a better feel for how the club is. Mine was 90% chill old retired guys, a couple guys in their 30's and me a high school kid. Very mellow group and I miss flying with them.

Another club a little farther away with a much nicer field and facilities was a group of assholes, flew once and never went back.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

rotaryfun posted:

So I did end up making it out to the precision flying air contest that the local club I found was having on Saturday and completely left there defeated.

I found the guy I had made contact with and started chatting. Told him about the RTF champ that I bought and all the parts/controller for the flitetest.com projects. Essentially said that I had wasted my money buying Chinese garbage and that I need to be careful of what people on the internet say as any kind of advice.

I can completely understand though that you get what you pay for and that good equipment can go a long way. I just don't think that some people understand that I want to decide if I like it before I drop a grand on some gear.

The guy totally appeared to be a pro flyer. Team Futaba gear from his head to toe. Even his planes (2 of them) had team Futaba decals all over them.

One of the most awesome things was being able to see all of those planes though. Boy they were pricey planes. It's amazing how small they get at such a quick rate too.

Edit: just thought to do a google search on team futaba and he's totally on their team page. Archie Stafford is the guy I met.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/team/team-pilots.html

Those idiots are just insecure. Imagine turning up at a race track in a $1000 banger and matching the guy in his super car. This is essentially what is happening here.
What they completely forget is that this is a hobby and thanks to the Chinese knock-offs, it has become an accessible hobby, rather than a hobby for old retired idiots with too much money.
Of course they are upset when they see you having fun with your $3 foamplane, while they've spent thousands on theirs and cry at the thought of crashing it. (Where you will crash yours, laugh, spend 10 mins with a hotglue gun and be in the air again).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

If you can make your plane fly, and you have fun doing it, you haven't wasted your money. All hobbies are going to have the gear wackos who just treat it as another sort of consumerist penis-extension, but there *are* some people out there who do the hobby because they love it and love teaching other people all the cool stuff about it. If you go back, try to ignore the comments from the insecure pricks who have to justify why they aren't having any more fun than you despite having spent twenty times as much. Instead, shop around and find those people who just do the hobby for its own sake. They'll generally be the old guys with old or beat-up looking stuff who spend more time listening and watching than talking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

^^ This. Get into this hobby because you want to fly foam and plastic toys around in the air like you always wished you could as a kid. Dont listen to the gear spergs. Buy what you want and learn your lessons from it. Take input from others as to not repeat others mistakes, but anyone who says you have to buy $9,000 worth of Futaba gear to fly a $30 plane is crazy.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

My RTF Champ is Out for Delivery. Should be home by the time I get there. Can't wait to crash it!

On my hobbyzone purchases, delivery time were listed at 3-30 days. What has been some of your experiences with them?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

RC as a hobby is full of terrible advice on the internet for newbies. If you go to pretty much any established RC forum and say that you are new and looking for advice for a basic setup you will get bombarded with brand warriors all saying that you shouldn't waste your money on cheap stuff and instead buy all the most expensive gear possible.

"Don't buy the 5A charger because one day you might need a 20A charger so buy the one now that is four times the prices."
"Don't but a MCPX to learn to fly a heli buy a 600 size t-rex because it is so much more stable." - this is probably the scariest thing I have heard. The idea of a newbie with a 600 size heli is terrifying to me.
"Don't buy a HK radio it will cause you to crash your 600 size heli and kill your family."

There is an old guard that lives to try and stoke their egos by showing off how much money they have spent on their hobby. Best just to ignore them.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rotaryfun posted:

My RTF Champ is Out for Delivery. Should be home by the time I get there. Can't wait to crash it!

On my hobbyzone purchases, delivery time were listed at 3-30 days. What has been some of your experiences with them?
Compared to shipping from Hong Kong, anything within the USA is light-speed delivery.

mashed_penguin posted:

RC as a hobby is full of terrible advice on the internet for newbies. If you go to pretty much any established RC forum and say that you are new and looking for advice for a basic setup you will get bombarded with brand warriors all saying that you shouldn't waste your money on cheap stuff and instead buy all the most expensive gear possible.

"Don't buy the 5A charger because one day you might need a 20A charger so buy the one now that is four times the prices."
"Don't but a MCPX to learn to fly a heli buy a 600 size t-rex because it is so much more stable." - this is probably the scariest thing I have heard. The idea of a newbie with a 600 size heli is terrifying to me.
"Don't buy a HK radio it will cause you to crash your 600 size heli and kill your family."

There is an old guard that lives to try and stoke their egos by showing off how much money they have spent on their hobby. Best just to ignore them.

Good lord yes. Sure, there's a minimum investment* that people should buy, but there's no way you need to go balls-in like some of the self-proclaimed "builders" who poo poo on anything that's not balsa/fiberglass. The lamest thing I've seen was a guy who was all hype about balsa/glass models, and then while my brother and I out flying/crashing/crazy-gluing/flying all day, he takes out one fiberglass plane, buries it in the ground, and then packs up and goes home for the day. Don't be that guy.

My recommended list:
  • a 6-8 channel programmable Tx with multi-model memory. This could be a Turnigy 9x / 9xr, or any Spektrum DX6 or better. Doesn't have to cost much, but it's well worth it over any RTF bundled controller.
  • a universal smart LiPo charger. Sure, you don't need the 4x charger, or even a 20Amp / 10cell charger, but even at $20 for a iMax B6 (or clone) puts you way ahead of the game since you can charge just about ANYTHING. I use mine to recharge my cordless drill batteries, and even rescued a "dead" laptop battery once. Packaged balance chargers are typically slow as hell, and frequently sketchy quality.
  • a good bottle of foam-safe Cyano glue, and a bottle of CA kicker.
  • a full roll of clear 3M tough tape. This and the glue above can mean the difference between going home after a crash, and throwing your piece of flying garbage back into the sky for another whirl.

Of course, just the items above ends up totalling ~$100 or more, and that's not even starting on having a model to fly.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 4, 2013

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Holy poo poo, it actually happened

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Toy-Helicopter-Head-Teen-Brooklyn-Gravesend-222576101.html

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Looks like he was flying something 600-class or bigger.

pic in this article: http://gothamist.com/2013/09/05/helicopter_kills_decapitate.php

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

:stare: x 10000

Now I know my fear of any heli bigger than a 450 is justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've heard of a few heli related deaths over the years, pretty scary.

In less terrifying news I tested out the electric PBF tonight...fun. 18" square, 6.4oz flying weight with about 11.5oz of thrust. Need to slide the battery back a bit next flight but it flew pretty good. Downside is now I'm going to have to build at least one more PBF, go with 24" to mount a OS46 on :getin:

Went through the Raptor 30 today, put in a new flight battery pack and it's on the charger. Engine hasn't been run in ~5 years, picking up some nitro tomorrow and hoping it runs.