Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Alright, so if I'm not mistaken, you get all the digital items with $80, but none of the physical items below it, but with $99 or above, you get all the digital items, plus the physical items under it, if that makes any sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Man, the skin lightening for Shantae is REALLY obvious with the comparison shots from the new update:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don Gato posted:

If by horrifying you mean hilarious, then yes.

What happened to the previous ASOIAF pen and paper RPG wasn't all that hilarious considering a lot of people got hosed over pretty badly and didn't deserve it.

e: You know, just like in the books. :v:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still haven't downloaded or watched a single part of the Doublefine documentary. Maybe I should get on that.

They have episode zero of their Amnesia Fortnight 2012 docu up on Youtube. If that's to your liking you should definitely check out both DFA and AF because the documentaries are worth the prices of both alone.

With the potential 2 Player Productions documentary and Fangamer handling the physical rewards, I think the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter is going to make me absolutely broke. :(

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I already have access I just never got around to watching any of it for some reason.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Snix posted:

Alright, so if I'm not mistaken, you get all the digital items with $80, but none of the physical items below it, but with $99 or above, you get all the digital items, plus the physical items under it, if that makes any sense?

That sounds right. You can consult their rewards chart, much further down the main page. Here's the link to the chart for quick access.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Man, the skin lightening for Shantae is REALLY obvious with the comparison shots from the new update:

Unfortunately what is not as obvious is WayForward stating that they're going to make her skin tone darker and that the art isn't final in any fashion. It's buried in the comments as two separate statements which means everyone on Tumblr is just freaking out over it and nobody is bothering to look at it any closer than face value.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Unfortunately what is not as obvious is WayForward stating that they're going to make her skin tone darker and that the art isn't final in any fashion. It's buried in the comments as two separate statements which means everyone on Tumblr is just freaking out over it and nobody is bothering to look at it any closer than face value.

I can understand why there'd be a problem. I mean, asking a guy on Tumblr to actually look into something for more than a second? Good luck with that!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Wow the internet really is a crusader looking for a cause huh? In a world of generic anime cartoony characters with completely arbitrary colors, a character's skin tone is slightly whiter than previous installments? This atrocity will not stand! To Photoshop!

Edit: Seriously the comments on the latest update:

Tom Terranova posted:

I really like that Shantae is a sexy, adult woman with exotic eyes and a hint of mischief in the art for the DS. But then in the 3DS art, she's been given a generic anime makeover with bigger, more rounded eyes and lighter skin. And she's lost the slight emotional complexity she had. Then in the newest art, she's been made into a super-deformed child with pale skin, a gray-alien-styled nose, and a significant breast reduction (which makes sense for a pre-pubescent kid, I guess.)

Why is Shantae no longer a sexy, exotic looking adult?

As for the lighter skin, she gets around more now – so maybe being away from the desert sands has made her skin grow paler – or maybe it's just a fashion fad with genies right now. If it's the latter, please warn her not to use any Japanese skin whiteners made by Kanebo Cosmetics, Inc. – because she'd look awful with permanent skin blotching!

Is the new story a prologue from when she was a pre-teen, or are you trying to make her more family friendly?

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 6, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I really just don't know what to say in response to that comment. I really don't.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

I really just don't know what to say in response to that comment. I really don't.

My internet waifu! :negative:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SupSuper posted:

Wow the internet really is a crusader looking for a cause huh? In a world of generic anime cartoony characters with completely arbitrary colors, a character's skin tone is slightly whiter than previous installments? This atrocity will not stand! To Photoshop!

To be fair, colorism is a serious problem even within dark skinned cultures. Skin lightening is a big problem even in mainstream advertising. If you've seen Beyonce's new Pepsi print ads, she looks positively norwegian. I can understand how some people could be sensitive about it.

That said... That comment :staredog:.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Man, what happened to the internet around mid-2012? This social justice crap is getting massively damaging to gaming, as evidenced here in loving WayForward having to apologize for a perfectly good character design - and most probably risking a worse outcome for their Kickstarter, which makes the WF fanboy in me really sad.

On the upside, I can't imagine a sillier subject for random crusading than this, so surely we've passed the low point. Yes, absolutely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

miguelito posted:

On the upside, I can't imagine a sillier subject for random crusading than this, so surely we've passed the low point. Yes, absolutely.
My stance on SJW is congruent with the Freep thread title: there is always more, and it is always worse.

Next on the list is either gonna be "Hot Tin Roof's heroine is too blocky and this marginalizes women somehow" or perhaps "The dragon in The White Dragon's game is too brown/not brown enough."

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
One of the main features of kickstarter developers tout is the way it allows the community to give their feedback and ideas as the game is being developed.

While it may be upsetting to some of us that people of colour might want one of the few non-white protagonists in games to stay non-white this is kickstarter working as intended. People can back and comment on projects that interest them even if they don't interest us.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's over-compensation for bad things, because the Internet is a world where there are only binary extremes and everyone hates everyone. You know, like politics!

Wayforward's response was pretty classy, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
A couple of people (including me) posted in the comments and pointed out that it's pretty weird to turn her white. Wayforward handled it in a classy and satisfying way. No harm done, no problem.

The issue is gaming "news"-sites and bloggers who couldn't wait to blow the whole thing out of proportion to get more clicks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yeah, WayForward didn't actually apologize for anything and their response has been excellent, as seen here and here. I gotta admit, I did think it was weird when I went to the page the first time, but my thought was "man, Shantae looks really pale," and thought that it was a bit jarring, like Mario without a moustache or pre-Mark of the Wolves Terry Bogard without the trucker hat. Or maybe I'm oversimplifying video game character designs too much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah WayForward handled the situation with an admirable professionalism you don't really get from game devs. Compared to the people shrieking in comments about racism they definitely look like the bigger people in the argument.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I wasn't like actually angry, but I would have been pretty disappointed if she ended up being super white.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not saying I don't believe their comments or anything, just that it gets really obvious when you line the designs up like that. Like, my neighbor who just moved to the US from Ireland a few years ago is barely that white. And yeah, all the sexual comments are way worse. People who get turned on by cartoony video game characters are creepy as hell. I saw one comment going on about how she needs bigger "boobies"(their word, not mine) and curvier hips so she'd be sexier.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I think it's kinda lovely to harp on "social justice". It'd still be kinda weird and lame if they paled her up, that isn't something that Overreacting Social Justice Warriors somehow excuse. "Tumblr People" are like the biggest scapegoat for video game nerds with any issue whatsoever.

I can tell you that I know it's not just an external, fan-related complaint either and quite a number of folks working with Wayforward complained about it as well, and were even rather surprised about it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
A bunch of new interviews and quick looks at Defense Grid 2

Eurogamer First look Video from Gamescom:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-29-see-defense-grid-2-in-action-for-the-first-time

True PC Gaming from Gamescom:

http://truepcgaming.com/2013/08/29/gamescom-2013-defense-grid-2-preview/

GamesRadar from PAX:

http://www.gamesradar.com/defense-grid-2-packed-genre-changing-ideas/

Polygon - Making of DG2:

Part 1: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/6/20/4441680/how-games-are-made-defense-grid-2

Part 2: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/8/14/4568420/defense-grid-2-part-two-first-playable

I have to say I'm kinda annoyed by the announcement of resources coming in in fixed amounts to make the game better for 'all skill levels'. That seems to me like it will make a single optimal strategy that once one person figures out and puts it on youtube everyone will have the same leaderboard score.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Great Rumbler posted:

"They've removed the sexual characteristics from my pre-pubescent video game character! How will I masturbate over her now? :reddit:"

In Hell sinners are separated by type, but the Redditors are all put into a single room. Subdivision would make them feel too much at home.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nerdbot posted:

I think it's kinda lovely to harp on "social justice". It'd still be kinda weird and lame if they paled her up, that isn't something that Overreacting Social Justice Warriors somehow excuse. "Tumblr People" are like the biggest scapegoat for video game nerds with any issue whatsoever.

I can tell you that I know it's not just an external, fan-related complaint either and quite a number of folks working with Wayforward complained about it as well, and were even rather surprised about it.

The complaint is warranted but WayForward stated that it'll be fixed. The complaints I see now are basically tumblrs getting mad that the issue hasn't been fixed immediately.

I don't think anybody's harping on social justice itself but rather the usual suspects of the SJW crew on Tumblr acting up again. Sorry you feel singled out because you use Tumblr too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Segmentation Fault posted:

The complaint is warranted but WayForward stated that it'll be fixed. The complaints I see now are basically tumblrs getting mad that the issue hasn't been fixed immediately.

I don't think anybody's harping on social justice itself but rather the usual suspects of the SJW crew on Tumblr acting up again. Sorry you feel singled out because you use Tumblr too.

I think nerdbot was probably talking about miguelito's post, which certainly was harping on social justice itself.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Anaxite posted:

Two things set the $80 all-digital tier apart: beta access, as well as getting the manuals and strategy guides in both languages rather than choosing one.

Which is why it is the one I just upgraded to. So far it looks like it has all the things I want, unless they start going Obsidian's way and just make 150+ tiers irresistible in terms of digital goodies.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

I think nerdbot was probably talking about miguelito's post, which certainly was harping on social justice itself.

Yes, Miguelito's post was pretty awful.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what would happen if WF tried to launch Shantae as a new IP right now. A game were you play as a sexy genie who bellydances to perform magic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jedit posted:

"They've removed the sexual characteristics from my pre-pubescent video game character! How will I masturbate over her now? :reddit:"

Since when was Shantae prepubescent

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jedit posted:

That's actually the complete opposite of what that comment was saying. It's still a terrible comment but I see what he's trying to say.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

To be fair, colorism is a serious problem even within dark skinned cultures. Skin lightening is a big problem even in mainstream advertising. If you've seen Beyonce's new Pepsi print ads, she looks positively norwegian. I can understand how some people could be sensitive about it.

That said... That comment :staredog:.
It's a valid complaint for sure, but if your first reaction to something like that is blowing it out of proportion like it's some kind of big underhanded conspiracy or whatever, instead of realizing it's just a missed detail from switching her to the style their artist team has been using recently (eg. Mighty Switch Force), then there's problems.

The complaint was made, WayForward addressed it, that should be the end of that, but now it's gonna be the focus point on an otherwise standard platformer until they personally redo and replace all the artwork on the website.

Edit: On other news, Battle Worlds: Kronos has reached closed beta for all their backers, but I still haven't received my key. Anyone else having problems?

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 6, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

SupSuper posted:

It's a valid complaint for sure, but if your first reaction to something like that is blowing it out of proportion like it's some kind of big underhanded conspiracy or whatever, instead of realizing it's just a missed detail from switching her to the style their artist team has been using recently (eg. Mighty Switch Force), then there's problems.

The complaint was made, WayForward addressed it, that should be the end of that, but now it's gonna be the focus point on an otherwise standard platformer until they personally redo and replace all the artwork on the website.

Edit: On other news, Battle Worlds: Kronos has reached closed beta for all their backers, but I still haven't received my key. Anyone else having problems?

To be fair, Shantae's race changing was actually the more likely-looking option in the absence of other evidence. It's not as though it's never happened before. The reason is generally less some gigantic conspiracy than it is people wanting to make more money and thinking white characters are "more relatable" (and hence sell more).

Although certainly now they've made it clear the art isn't representative of the actual game that should be the end of it.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

That's actually the complete opposite of what that comment was saying. It's still a terrible comment but I see what he's trying to say.

Yea they "chibi"d her up in an unfortunate way. Her design was always anime-y but it seems a lot more pandering now.

I hate the biggified eyes the most. She went from cute and sassy to generic anime.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

miguelito posted:

Man, what happened to the internet around mid-2012? This social justice crap is getting massively damaging to gaming, as evidenced here in loving WayForward having to apologize for a perfectly good character design - and most probably risking a worse outcome for their Kickstarter, which makes the WF fanboy in me really sad.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

One of the main features of kickstarter developers tout is the way it allows the community to give their feedback and ideas as the game is being developed.

While it may be upsetting to some of us that people of colour might want one of the few non-white protagonists in games to stay non-white this is kickstarter working as intended. People can back and comment on projects that interest them even if they don't interest us.

Who else thought this guy had multiple personalities until they noticed the user names?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hey goons, my best friend's dad launched his kick starter today. He's the creator of such arcade classics as SpyHunter, Rampage, and General Chaos.

Those of you who now feel some ball aching nostalgia might want to check out his page for the upcoming sequel to the grizzly and hardcore realistic top down action rpg....

General Chaos II: Sons of Chaos

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388449021/general-chaos-ii-sons-of-chaos?ref=search

Wendell
May 11, 2003

General Chaos was really loving cool, and a modern version has every reason to be excellent. Good news.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wendell posted:

General Chaos was really loving cool, and a modern version has every reason to be excellent. Good news.

Yeah, it was a good game.

I absolutely hate the new art though. 125k is a bit steep of a goal too, so I think this one may be dead on arrival.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
It's a traumatizing story, really. I sometimes open threads myself thinking the illuminati changed my entire posts or something.

pumpinglemma posted:

Indeed, I am in fact a Captain Planet villain who hates the mere concept of justice, especially in social regards.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Hi. White washing a character does matter. It was a lovely post. This has been observed and recognized.

Now let's move on and not talk about it any more, since WayForward immediately recognized the problem and handled it well. It is a non-issue now, yay.