Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Origins or Oath would probably be the best start.

Personally I found Origins the more fun one but I think Oath has better locales.

Oath's also a bit harder than Origins. Chronicles is good too but it's completely different in terms of combat.

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When they're this cheap I don't see why one can't just buy all of them.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Well some people might have more control than me when it comes to steam sales. :ohdear:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Definitely Origin.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Nate RFB posted:

Sure seems to me that this is meant to be the general Falcom thread going off of the OP and thread title. Xanadu Next, Zwei II, etc.

It's probably too little too late but it sure seems like Trails could use more exposure given the sequels haven't made it over stateside.

Yeah, it's supposed to be the General Falcom megathread. I just haven't updated the OP in awhile. I was going to use the TITS LP for resources and info, but I stopped following the LP due to getting on top of real world poo poo. If I get the chance, I'd love to do one, but only if I can do it justice. Alternatively, if somebody wants to write up a little thing on their own, I'd be happy to put it in.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, since Steam is having a midweek madness sale on the YS games, which one should I go for if I've never played an Ys game in my entire life?

Origin.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sweet Christmas, the first boss of the last area in Oath in Felghana is hard as a rock.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wendell posted:

Sweet Christmas, the first boss of the last area in Oath in Felghana is hard as a rock.

I just played through Oath again like 3 months ago and forget which boss that is. Which one was it?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Unmature posted:

I just played through Oath again like 3 months ago and forget which boss that is. Which one was it?

It's the (probably) last time you fight the evil wizard, who has just revealed herself as that nice nun.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wendell posted:

It's the (probably) last time you fight the evil wizard, who has just revealed herself as that nice nun.

Oh Christ yes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That was a weird boss. I started the game on Hard on my first time (I played through Ys7 before, i can take it, right?) and proceeded to die 20 times to the first boss.

I then got to the boss Wendell mentioned and beat him on the first try. Didn't even get hit in the last phase (you know which one).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: And since Spacedrake is so active in the thread, I'll give his poo poo a callout. All the Carpe Fulgur games are on sale ATM as well, with Chantelise at 2.49:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Carpe%20Fulgur%20LLC

Dunno how much of a shoutout I deserve now since I haven't posted in the thread in a good while :v:

Worth noting that all three games are on sale on Steam for a bit longer, though!

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Ys_Series_Midweek_Madness

If you haven't gotten on that poo poo yet, get on it. Those are great prices for each game.

Also gonna agree that Origin is overall the best start. It starts you at the very beginning of the series plot and it's a great introduction to how the mechanics of the games work, especially playing as Yunica. Though really, aside from maybe 1+2 (and that's only due to their relentlessly oldschool nature, which won't be to everyone's tastes) you can't go wrong with an Ys game

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is there any connectivity between Ys 1 and 2? I'm stuck at the final boss and I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind just watching the ending on Youtube, but if my save file carries over then I'll tough it out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The only thing about playing Origin first is that it spoils a lot of 1&2, and since it's the best of the bunch gameplay-wise you'll only be going down from there (although not enough to ruin the others).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cephas posted:

Is there any connectivity between Ys 1 and 2? I'm stuck at the final boss and I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind just watching the ending on Youtube, but if my save file carries over then I'll tough it out.
I don't believe anything carries over, though there was a little bit of confusion with this earlier in the thread. Regardless there shouldn't be anything wrong with starting up Ys II fresh.

But just the same, equip that silver equipment and tough it out anyway :colbert: Keep moving, don't let him trap you, and try to run along with him rather than intercepting him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

I don't believe anything carries over, though there was a little bit of confusion with this earlier in the thread. Regardless there shouldn't be anything wrong with starting up Ys II fresh.

But just the same, equip that silver equipment and tough it out anyway :colbert: Keep moving, don't let him trap you, and try to run along with him rather than intercepting him.

The thing about Ys 1 at least is that if you're at a boss and it's not a complete joke, then you don't have the right weapons and armor equipped. Although the Battle series of weapons / armor is supposed to be the most powerful stats wise, you need to equip the silver equipment to fight Dark Fact, as his attacks take a fraction of the damage with silver armor as it does with battle armor (and of course, you need the silver sword to even do any damage to him). Aside from that, just study the way he moves and run along with him in the same pattern and he goes down like a French prizefighter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Saralene posted:

Think I may have fixed the Numpad and other weird input issues in Ys I & II Chronicles+ today. Now I'm about to push a patch that connects the games at Ys I's ending automatically. This can be disabled in the options menu, of course, but I always wanted to have this as a feature for Chronicles+. It was in Complete, too, I think. So many other issues still need addressed, though...

I just finished Ys 1 yesterday, and I like the idea of this, but in practice it doesn't work so well because you just get like 3 minutes of black screen while Steam does its stupid "first time install" crap (why they don't just do all this when you're actually installing the game I have no idea). I wasn't sure if something had crashed or not because the black screen was up so long, and I was expecting it to transition over.

If you could do something about that and maybe make it automatically go into New Game on Ys 2 with all the user settings transferred over, that would be pretty neat though.

Have you guys tested Ys 2 with the 360 controller? Ys 1 worked pretty much fine but Ys 2 won't let me move with the analog stick, only with the D-pad which is pretty awkward.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
So after putting over a hundred hours into Origin. I grabbed all the Ys games when they went on sale a week ago. This series really is pretty awesome and I felt like putting down my thoughts on each game so far.

I really got into Ys 1 and 2. Their old-schoolishness really appealed to me, and I think the bump system is actually pretty genius and fun; it keeps things going at a fast pace and it keeps you at risk when you attack, so you always have to watch your back. I think Ys 1 suffered a little because of the weird way leveling and equipment work - you can be getting completely destroyed by a certain group of monsters, but only one upgrade later you completely outclass them. It feels like no enemy group is threatening for very long since you always end up outpacing them. The bosses were kind of a mixed bag: Pictimos and Yogleks / Omulgun were awesome fights, but then the game also had really weird fights that ended in seconds like Nygtilger and Khonsclard (and then there were tedious bosses like Jenocres and Vagullion).

I thought it was cool that you hit max level around halfway through the game. I dislike how in Origin I always had to worry about my level since it sucks to plow through a boss fight just because your level was too high (or, less often, to wonder if some bosses were only as hard as they were because I was expected to have one more level), so it was nice of the game to take care of that for me. I didn't like the open save system; I wish Falcom had worked in a checkpoint-based system like Origin and Oath while they were updating the games but I guess they might have left it the way it was for tradition's sake. But regardless of what it might sound like, I still liked the game a lot and I think it's really replayable (I'm on my third playthrough now, a Nightmare mode run).

Ys 2 was definitely a big improvement. I thought it was cool how the change in structure (making the game a quest through the land to the Shrine of Solomon instead of exploring a more open area) gave the game a totally different feel from the first one. The leveling system was made sane, so it was nice to have enemies remain a threat through most of the game, although I wish the level cap had been used like it was in the first one. I'm not sure how I felt about the fire magic, though. On one hand, it kind of invalidates the bump system since you can beat most enemies just by spamming fire shots, but at the same time making the boss fights into shooters was a great idea. Every boss in the game is awesome (although I have to admit that my favorites were the two that you fight with melee attacks, so I wish they had explored that a little more). Other than that, the only criticism I have to make about the game is that it was annoying how every dungeon or area was a huge, complicated maze. I'm confident in saying that the game is overall better than Ys 1, but the thought of going through the mines, ice ridge, or shrine again makes me feel like this one isn't quite as replayable.

I've only barely started Oath in Felghana. So far it seems like it's pretty much on the same level as Origin, at least (and to me that's a pretty high standard). I'm not sure how I feel about the game being open (I started the series with Origin instead of Felghana because Origin's structure sounded like it would appeal to me more), but so far it doesn't seem like the world drags the game down or anything so I'm okay with it. One thing I really love about the game is that it makes fights against basic enemies feel more meaningful. Fighting standard enemies in Origin felt kind of like a slog a lot of the time because almost none of them were very threatening unless you were on Nightmare mode and the very strongest ones were damage sponges, but Felghana is doing an awesome job of making the stages feel more engaging. The bosses seem to be a little bit harder than Origin's so far, although I sort of feel like some of them use lame "gotcha" moments way more than Origin's did (like the Chester fight is all about baiting him into using his charge so you can attack, but sometimes he just decides to attack with no warning during what should be his vulnerable period, and even though I got past that fight it felt a little bit cheap). Despite that, unless the game starts going downhill after the lava dragon boss, I can't see it not being amazing.

I hope Ys 6 comes to Steam eventually, but these games are pretty packed with content and the only one I've really dug into is Origin, so these should last me for a while.

Also, every one of these games have amazing soundtracks.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I wouldn't count on Ys 6 any time soon. The English version on PS2/PSP was put out by Konami so there may be some legal red tape, or requiring the translation to be entirely redone for Xseed to bring it to Steam. I could see Ys 7 being more likely (assuming nothing's wrong with the PC version. I think it only got released in China?)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

I wouldn't count on Ys 6 any time soon. The English version on PS2/PSP was put out by Konami so there may be some legal red tape, or requiring the translation to be entirely redone for Xseed to bring it to Steam. I could see Ys 7 being more likely (assuming nothing's wrong with the PC version. I think it only got released in China?)

Didn't somebody do a translation patch for Ys 6? Couldn't Xseed ask to use that guy's translation instead of the Konami one? Hell, it's probably better than the Konami one.

And I think the PC version of Ys 7 is just crammed full of DRM.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If the PC version of 7 never materializes or is awful, the PSP emulator PPSSPP can play it very well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Didn't somebody do a translation patch for Ys 6? Couldn't Xseed ask to use that guy's translation instead of the Konami one? Hell, it's probably better than the Konami one.

Yup, there's a fan translation already floating around. Konomi probably does not have the publishing rights to the PC version either so it's likely not an issue.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Play Oath first if you've never tried Ys before, telling somebody to start the series off as somebody who isn't Adol Christoffdenson is the most insanely hosed up thing I have ever heard and you won't appreciate anything in Origins.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Play Oath first if you've never tried Ys before, telling somebody to start the series off as somebody who isn't Adol Christoffdenson is the most insanely hosed up thing I have ever heard and you won't appreciate anything in Origins.

Um excuse me I think you'll find the adventures of crazy teenager with an axe is much better than some red-haired dude with a sword.

The true answer, of course, is just play all of them.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Lance Streetman posted:

Um excuse me I think you'll find the adventures of crazy teenager with an axe is much better than some red-haired dude with a sword.

The true answer, of course, is just play all of them.

Yunica is the best, they should make more games with her :colbert:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has XSEED mentioned or even hinted at a limited edition for the American release of Celceta, or a 25th anniversary edition like Falcom did last year?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

iastudent posted:

Has XSEED mentioned or even hinted at a limited edition for the American release of Celceta, or a 25th anniversary edition like Falcom did last year?

They said a while ago there were no plans for one. I could see them announcing one late, but I'm not optimistic. And they do such NICE special editions too!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well that's a shame. :(

On a somewhat unrelated note, I tried out that PPSSPP emulator that was linked to. I take it that it doesn't support music for most games just yet. Breath of Fire 3 was the only one I've seen so far that has music playing in it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

iastudent posted:

Well that's a shame. :(

On a somewhat unrelated note, I tried out that PPSSPP emulator that was linked to. I take it that it doesn't support music for most games just yet. Breath of Fire 3 was the only one I've seen so far that has music playing in it.

It does support music as of the newer versions, you have to select an option in it to download an Atrac+3 decoder dll file.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lance Streetman posted:

And I think the PC version of Ys 7 is just crammed full of DRM.

I said this earlier, but the extant PC version of 7 has a SecuROM wrapper on literally every file. It has to dial home any time it loads ANYTHING. Needless to say load times are comically brutal.

Tobaccrow posted:

As far as I understand it, the issue with Napishtim is that Konami owns the script they have for the game, so a new one would need to be commissioned. Deuce, the man-god super-fan translator who handled Oath, parts of Origin and I&II, apparently has had a Napishtim script sitting in his back pocket for some time. The thing is, it would also need to be completely style-edited, re-inserted and debugged, which would be no small amount of work when XSEED already has a ton of announced projects to get out the door (and apparently Rune Factory 4 has been a huge, Trails FC-esque resource sponge - the script is about the same size, for one). So since it's still basically as much work as releasing any other game, XSEED needs to find time on the docket to actually work on the game. And there's the issue of the game having been released already - which could bite into sales compared to unreleased titles.

I bet it'll come, they just need to find time.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Who does the artwork for the steam achievements for the Ys games? They all look great, especially the Gila's Monsters one. :3:

Oh my god, the ending for Ys II is great! Maybe I sound simplistic but everything was just wonderful. I love this game series! :allears:

Do I move on to Oath now? Also, do Feena and Reah ever come back?

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ryuga Death posted:

Who does the artwork for the steam achievements for the Ys games? They all look great, especially the Gila's Monsters one. :3:

Oh my god, the ending for Ys II is great! Maybe I sound simplistic but everything was just wonderful. I love this game series! :allears:

If you move in the order of original release dates, oath is next. In terms of gameplay this works too since Origins uses a more refined version of the combat in Oath.

As for the goddesses, Origins is actually about how the whole mess from Ys 1 got started.

Iirc after this it is all about Adol being a traveller with an addiction to adrenaline and Doing The Right Thing (tm).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Feena and Reah themselves have never returned (Ys II being a pretty conclusive ending to their story), though some of the other Ys titles deal with their history and "people". Ys IV/Celceta deals with this eventually, as does Ys VI/Napishtim.

As for moving on, Oath is your best bet for "next title", though Origin will give you more Feena & Reah. It'll even show you who Toal was and what his relationship to the goddesses was! Celceta, due out later this year, happens more immediately after II.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

Feena and Reah themselves have never returned (Ys II being a pretty conclusive ending to their story)

Where do they go anyway? I assume they don't live amongst the people or anything since they give you the whole farewell spiel about the world not needing goddesses anymore, and going by the video at the end of the credits they turn back into statues maybe? I think the TurboCD version left it ambiguous too.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished Oath on nightmare as my first playthrough. Galbalan is the hardest boss I've ever fought. Have a slight feeling the boss fights would have been easier with a controller but can't say I had problems with KB+M.

Is there much difference between nightmare and inferno difficulties?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

windsor posted:

Is there much difference between nightmare and inferno difficulties?

Inferno damage is increased when dealt to Adol (more so even than on Nightmare difficulty), for a large portion of the game regular enemies will kill you in 2 or 3 hits. The enemy AI is the same as Nightmare difficulty, that goes for boss AI too. Bosses have the same health on Inferno as they do on Nightmare difficulty.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails in the Sky Second Chapter might be coming out in English: http://kotaku.com/oh-my-god-xseed-is-teasing-trails-in-the-sky-chapter-t-1260598555

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

For people (including myself) that were disappointed at the prospect of the Celceta US release not getting a limited edition, have I got news for you!

Siliconera posted:

The limited edition of Ys: Memories of Celceta will include a 3-CD collection of music spanning the entire Ys franchise, a cloth map of the lands of Celceta, a compass emblazoned with a logo, and “Adol’s Travel Journal,” which contains strategies and art work for the game.

The standard version of Ys: Memories of Celceta will cost $40, while the limited edition will cost $60.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I don't have a vita but I'm sure as hell buying that for the music alone.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In much more important news, XSeed is teasing what appears to be Trails in the Sky SC:

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670577
http://kotaku.com/oh-my-god-xseed-is-teasing-trails-in-the-sky-chapter-t-1260598555

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Is this coming out on Vita? This means I'm going to have to get a Vita....

Maybe I'll hope beyond hope and this will get released on the Wii-U or some other nitche platform that I already own.

• Locked thread