Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

From here the game actually turns into a third person action game starring Peko, it's a really jarring change in pace.

Unfortunately, she dies at the end.

Monobear made her execution really loving elaborate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Really getting out by standing on top of the shinai.... may be stupid, but it's also brilliant at the same time. Besides, this is loving Dangan Ronpa, the realm of absurdity.
Really no one should be surprised at what's happening by this point. This is just par for the course.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not as though she used it as a pogo stick like some people were joking about.
Lies, her advanced training was clearly with Scrooge McDuck. :colbert:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Considering that the sword thing is something that real people really did, it's unreasonable to say that it's absurd.

Because it's not absurd. It's just crazy enough to work.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

GodofDiscord posted:

Besides, this is loving Dangan Ronpa

Obligatory: Hi, welcome to the forums, you can swear here, that's just a word filter for people who aren't logged in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Confused Llama posted:

Obligatory: Hi, welcome to the forums, you can swear here, that's just a word filter for people who aren't logged in.

Though we still prefer you refer to "oval office" as "stinkyhole".

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
On the topic of whether Peko is Kirakira or is just pretending, I should point out that everything she's said 'in character' is all stuff Sonia said verbatim. I could see Sonia turning things over by admitting that some of the things she said about Kirakira were her own fantasies or theories and not based on actual fact. Or quizzing Peko about some obscure trivia that she doesn't know the answer to.

There's still the matters of the folder Kuzuryuu got from Monobear turning up in Mahiru's cabin, as well as Peko knowing about the planned 'secret' meeting long enough in advance to be able to set up phony letters and lie in wait at the beach house for Saionji. But all things considered it's pretty clear Kuzuryuu and Peko were working together.

I wonder if they'll do a handwriting comparison of the letters and the note Hinata found in the folder...

I'm trying to figure out the timing of Kuzuryuu's visit to the beach house. Could he have even met Peko? Remember Kuzu couldn't have left the beach house after Peko moved the body. So it's not like he could have missed her because she was already in the surfboard case. He had to have entered before she moved the body... Or he was already there in the first place. So... it seems like he must have met Peko. He was probably in the beach house at 3:00 or so, when the murder happened. If he went there any later Hinata and Souda should have noticed him crossing the parking lot (they might have missed Peko coming out since they were distracted, but they spotted Kuzuryuu right away since they had nothing else to pay attention to).

So, I can only assume he was in the beach house when the murder happened. Can't say if he committed it or not, but he was there for it. And he hung around for a while too, probably conferring with Peko about whatever the hell the plan was. Then he leaves, Peko seals off the door, and goes to hide in the case. Saionji wakes up and flees shortly after, then Peko comes back out and does her thing.

Only question is- which of them did the deed? Peko, who confessed, but has a shaky motive at best, or Kuzuryuu, who is clearly desperate about something and had a pretty drat clear motive.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

We've been over this. A shinai is a bamboo sword.

Correct. It's made to be flexible, for safety. That's part of why I was against her using it like she did, but I can accept the method shown. I had envisioned her using it as a step to climb rather than a spring point to jump from. Of course, I also thought her shinai case was actually solid and not cloth... Double failure in the observational department on my part.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Confused Llama posted:

Oh, I know about that. I just decided to say 'loving' because I wanted to. I will try to swear more often, :sweatdrop:

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 6, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GodofDiscord posted:

Oh, I know about that. I just decided to say 'loving' because I wanted to XD. I will try to swear more often, :P

Obligatory: Also, we don't do traditional smilies here, we use these: :allears:.

Might want to lurk more, posting weird can get you probated.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Obligatory: Also, we don't do traditional smilies here, we use these: :allears:.

I was about to cry 'SHARED ACCOUNT' until I saw the registration date.

Knicknevin posted:

On the topic of whether Peko is Kirakira or is just pretending, I should point out that everything she's said 'in character' is all stuff Sonia said verbatim. I could see Sonia turning things over by admitting that some of the things she said about Kirakira were her own fantasies or theories and not based on actual fact. Or quizzing Peko about some obscure trivia that she doesn't know the answer to.

I am reasonably sure that this will happen in the next update. It just has to be addressed, they wouldn't take the time to have it be said exactly the same way both times if it didn't mean something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Don't backseat moderate. Post actually about the game in question, report posts that don't, or get probated.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2013

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
I doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in the story right now, but I made some Monobear fan art.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Psych posted:

I doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in the story right now, but I made some Monobear fan art.

This is brilliant, but I can't tell you how much I wish that jar said butter.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is brilliant, but I can't tell you how much I wish that jar said butter.

Or "Tumblr tears"

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Clarste posted:

The problem is that I think your theory is stupid. No offense.

Hey man, I never said it wouldn't be stupid for Kuzuryuu to willingly sacrifice himself for the sake of revenge; I just thought the game was pushing us in that direction at the time when I proposed it, as ridiculous as it sounds.

However, given further reflection upon the possibility that Peko's sudden 'reveal' is an act, I'm thinking that it may well be more sensible if the roles were the other way around. After all, the reason that Peko got blood all over herself was specifically because she moved the body, so she might not necessarily have done the deed herself.

She seems more likely to sacrifice herself than Kuzuryuu would. The fact that both of them argued strongly that Saionji was the killer and tried to redirect suspicion away from the other implies that at least one of them was planning to take the fall for the other.

But, hey, knowing my luck and given this is Dangan Ronpa here, evidence could come out of nowhere and prove that Sonia is the culprit and left the mask behind to make a statement. You can't rely on the evidence until crunch time in this game. (Yeah, I'm still sore about being wrong about the drat window.)

LukanFox fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 6, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The game does sometimes confirm implausible theories sometimes.

Take the first murder: The game basically confirmed that during the blackout, Hanamura got his murder weapon and portable stove, closed the fire doors, used the light from the stove to reach the supply closet - heading away from the table, I should note. Then he put on a tablecloth to prevent blood from splattering on him, and made his way under the table and waited for the light to be blocked... all before Nagito could follow the cord (which he was standing right next to) to the table (which he was standing next to) and get the knife. The sheer number of actions Hanamura needed to do made the timing on that implausible, but the game confirmed it.

I suppose we can't really use implausibility as a reason to deny a theory.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 6, 2013

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The game does sometimes confirm implausible theories sometimes.

Take the first murder: The game basically confirmed that during the blackout, Hanamura got his murder weapon and portable stove, closed the fire doors, used the light from the stove to reach the supply closet - heading away from the table, I should note. Then he put on a tablecloth to prevent blood from splattering on him, and made his way under the table and waited for the light to be blocked... all before Nagito could follow the cord he was standing right next to to the table he was standing next to and get the knife. The sheer number of actions Hanamura needed to do made the timing on that implausible, but the game confirmed it.

I suppose we can't really use implausibility as a reason to deny a theory.

Except, of course, that Nagito actually didn't manage to make his way under the table, but was knocked away by Togami who then decided to look for whatever it was Nagito went for.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Exercu posted:

Except, of course, that Nagito actually didn't manage to make his way under the table, but was knocked away by Togami who then decided to look for whatever it was Nagito went for.

I suppose that could have taken a while if you squint.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Psych posted:

If they get some sort of Pooh sound-alike to voice Monobear in Trigger Happy Havoc it will all have been worth it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Rhinoceraptor posted:

If they get some sort of Pooh sound-alike to voice Monobear in Trigger Happy Havoc it will all have been worth it.

That would be incredible. Too bad they could never get one of the the actual actors. There have been three voices of Pooh. Two are dead, and there's no way in the world Disney would allow the current voice actor to do something like this.

Most of the English voice actors haven't been released yet, right?

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Montegoraon posted:

That would be incredible. Too bad they could never get one of the the actual actors. There have been three voices of Pooh. Two are dead, and there's no way in the world Disney would allow the current voice actor to do something like this.

Most of the English voice actors haven't been released yet, right?

Personally, I will be super loving happy if Monobear sounds like Mickey Mouse in translation. Bugs Bunny is too manic and Pooh too sedate.

Seriously. Imagine the line "GOOOOOOD MORNING YOU BASTARDS!" in a Mickey Mouse voice.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
I personally hope he merely sounds like an English version of what he already is, Mickey mouse doesn't sound right for him and while it would be funny and awesome at first, I doubt it would carry across the same unnerving edge to his voice.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
That would be chilling, but I don't think a voice as high-pitched as Mickey's would sound right coming out of a character as physically round Monobear. His Japanese voice is high-pitched, but that's mitigated because it's also very nasal. Altering Mickey's voice so that it would sound right would render it unrecognizable. Pooh's voice wouldn't have that problem. You'd just need to speed up his pace a bit. Another added advantage is that they might actually be allowed to use a Pooh sound-alike. If they gave Monobear something that sounded like Mickey's voice, Disney would pitch a fit regardless of whether it was their guy or not.

But I could be wrong. Someone needs to make a video of Monobear with voice samples from Mickey and Pooh, edited for ominousness, so we can see what it feels like.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Zero III as Monobear.

e: For reference, here's an audio clip from early-on in Virtue's Last Reward. It's the beginning of the game, so there shouldn't be any major spoilers.

Casull fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 6, 2013

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013
Man, I couldn't disagree more. Mickey as Monobear would make my entire life up till this point worth living.

But Bugs Bunny would be an acceptable substitution if Mickey is unavailable. I can't see Pooh ever successfully achieving the right level of creepy malevolence. He's too passive and soft-spoken, which makes him essentially the Monomi in this scenario for me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can see Bugs working as Monobear. Just give him a bit more of an edge, inject a bit more actual malice. I'd take that over a pooh-imitation.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Yeah I could definitely see Bugs Bunny working- it's probably the closest timbre to his Japanese voice, too. Or Teddie, but that wouldn't have the same cultural impact.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bliss Authority posted:

Personally, I will be super loving happy if Monobear sounds like Mickey Mouse in translation. Bugs Bunny is too manic and Pooh too sedate.

Seriously. Imagine the line "GOOOOOOD MORNING YOU BASTARDS!" in a Mickey Mouse voice.

It'd basically be just like South Park's portrayal of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4_4g1B2Ug

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
It's a shame that the Mickey voice of my childhood, Wayne Allwine, died in 2009, but at least the Pooh voice of my childhood, Jim Cummings, is still alive and acting. Not that they'd ever be able to get the actual actors for either of them, but in hypothetical-land, that would make a difference. I think I prefer the idea of Pooh because I think that sedate, friendly voice contrasted with the awful things Monobear says is more jarring and creepier than the other options. Bugs doesn't really work for me because he's already kind of a jerk, so there's not that cognitive dissonance going on.

Another one just occurred to me though: Kermit the Monobear.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Jim Cummings was a guest on Ron Paulsen's Podcast, and he definitely had a sense of humour about his work. I bet he'd be being willing to be Monobear if they offered him enough money. I doubt Disney would be inclined to do anything about it. Fox couldn't stop Nancy Cartwright from shilling for Scientology and that was a lot more potentially damaging than this would be to Disney.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 6, 2013

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Princey posted:

I was leaning towards Bugs Bunny, but your compelling argument has won me over.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Disney's got the rights to Pooh as well as Mickey, so I suspect that if Mickey would be refused for family-friendliness Pooh would too.

Princey posted:

Jesus. Imagining that gave me a little spine shiver of discomfort. You win.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't think you can claim intellectual property on a voice, only a character.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Princey posted:

Yep, this here would be perfect. He's the right mix of manic and sedate, and cartoonish enough to fit easily.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I didn't even think of Kermit the frog, that'd be perfect to be honest. What I was actually thinking of, was Tom Kenny using his Spongebob voice.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't think you can claim intellectual property on a voice, only a character.
It depends. From my trademarks outline.

5) Exotic Source Identifiers
a) In Re Clarke: Scent can be trademarkable, if it actually does identify a source.
b) Is it an inherent or natural component of the goods?
c) Is its use unique?
d) Is there a connection between the exotic mark and the company in advertising?
e) Do consumers associate the two?

I can see Disney making a case that Mickey's voice, accurately reproduced, is sufficiently associated in consumers' minds with Disney as a source that the use of the voice would create potential for consumers to believe that the game that utilized the voice was in some way done by or with the approval of Disney. I don't know if they'd prevail in court, but they could mount a vigorous enough legal campaign that the other side would need deep pockets to get that far. When it comes to IP, The Mouse is not to be crossed.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Princey posted:

Thats been my vote since day one.

Hidele Ho, Monobear here! You bastards.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."

zetsubous posted:

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Mickey as Monobear would make my entire life up till this point worth living.

But Bugs Bunny would be an acceptable substitution if Mickey is unavailable. I can't see Pooh ever successfully achieving the right level of creepy malevolence. He's too passive and soft-spoken, which makes him essentially the Monomi in this scenario for me.

This is exactly the reason why Bugs and even Mickey don't work in my head, they're both jerks though admittedly that's more a past trait with Mickey. Kermit or Pooh are nice, kind people that hearing either of their voices come out of Monobear is the same level of mindfuck as they were going for in Japan. As set as I've been on Pooh, Kermit is a really cool idea for him.

For Monomi, in a perfect world I'd love Fluttershy's voice actress to voice her. The soft, friendly voice would be a real contrast to whoever they go with for Monobear. But I wouldn't want that to happen even if it was possible, because I wouldn't wish bronies on my worst enemy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rena posted:

For Monomi, in a perfect world I'd love Fluttershy's voice actress to voice her. The soft, friendly voice would be a real contrast to whoever they go with for Monobear.

You're starting to gaze into the abyss here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rena posted:

This is exactly the reason why Bugs and even Mickey don't work in my head, they're both jerks though admittedly that's more a past trait with Mickey. Kermit or Pooh are nice, kind people that hearing either of their voices come out of Monobear is the same level of mindfuck as they were going for in Japan. As set as I've been on Pooh, Kermit is a really cool idea for him.
I don't know, Pooh is a little of an rear end in a top hat in the comic strips and has always been characterized as a selfish jerk who tolerates his friends to some degree. I'll give you Kermit being generally nice, if not sometimes steered wrong by his own wants, but Pooh isn't quite so friendly either.

If we're going for an iconic voice that plays on our childhoods, anyone who ever voiced Mickey is the best for the job because Mickey is as iconic as Doraemon is. It's unlikely that NISA has the budget for it and have been mainly getting relatively unknown VAs for the job thus far.

• Locked thread