Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno have y'all heard Colin's nerd voice? Pretty excited for that comedic gem to get the wide audience it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I can't wait for his skit lampooning thug culture in the NFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Richard Deitsch has his complete NFL broadcaster guide up. Find out which terrible FOX team your team will be stuck with this year!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/05/2013-nfl-tv/

Chris Meyers and Tim Ryan will be calling the Seahawks this week, and will probably do so for another 6 weeks or so. I have no clue why we always get stuck with that poo poo duo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't wait for his skit lampooning thug culture in the NFL.

I honestly think Rush Limbaugh would do a better job than this clown.

I realize that sounds completely insane, but at least Rush Limbaugh has a base to play to (even if it's a "gently caress the gays, america number 1!" base). Limbaugh is at least charismatic, and actually seems to treat his audience/demographic with some amount of respect. (even if, again it's Tea Partiers)

(before anyone flips out, I think giving Limbaugh a show would be a disaster, and would end within a matter of five minutes of being on the air. Just trying to make a point.)

Cowherd doesn't even have that. There is no audience for the guy. There is no "Clones" or "Dittoheads" that will listen to every word he says. He's not a very well-liked guy, period.

Cowherd has the political views of Rush Limbaugh, the charisma of Richard Lewis and :smug: of Bill Maher all wrapped up into one tidy package.

The only reason the guy is still literally on the air is because he has his lips firmly placed on the rear end of Disney/ESPN. He goes along with the company line, and is rewarded for doing so.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

Richard Deitsch has his complete NFL broadcaster guide up. Find out which terrible FOX team your team will be stuck with this year!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/05/2013-nfl-tv/

They mention CBS has new graphics so I'm assuming that that awful looking scorebar that's been on CBS Sports Network college games is going to be the new NFL scorebar too. It looks like a drat Winamp skin. Gives me nostalgia of being a dorky as poo poo high schooler playing Weird Al mp3s attributed to Reel Big Fish.

quote:

[ESPN promises] More airtime for the Gruden Grinder award, which focuses on a behind-the-scenes player who makes something happen to win the game.
OH GOOD.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

They mention CBS has new graphics so I'm assuming that that awful looking scorebar that's been on CBS Sports Network college games is going to be the new NFL scorebar too. It looks like a drat Winamp skin. Gives me nostalgia of being a dorky as poo poo high schooler playing Weird Al mp3s attributed to Reel Big Fish.

Wait, the one CBSSN uses with the yellow graphic for final scores in other games? That one bugs the crap out of me since I think that's the area of the screen where something yellow means there's a flag on the play.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think Cowherd would be getting a million shows if he didn't have an audience. Presumably his audience has a large crossover with the First Take audience, but unfortunately even Skip Bayless fans technically count as people

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Colin Cowherd has a new show with lots of original content?

Watch out, bloggers! There's a thief in town!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's also a few "washouts" who indeed can be good analysts.

Sam Posey is a guy that did IndyCar color commentary during the 80's, and 90's. His career in the sport was less than spectacular to say the least (popular writer Robin Miller even said, "He talked more than he ever drove), but he was excellent in the booth. His knowledge and enthusiasm of auto racing made him an excellent commentator. Here's what he does now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjspoYmUc0

Jon Beekhuis is another one of those guys. He only raced in 15 Indy races in his career. He made a move to be a pit guy, and his knowledge of the technical side of the sport is pretty incredible. He even has the nickname "Professor B".

Compare that to Mario Andretti, who was an amazing driver, but just flat out awful in the booth.

This must be a racing thing, as here are several more who didn't do much in "major" levels of racing, but are great on TV:
-Wally Dallenbach, Jr. (Didn't do much in NASCAR, but a multiple time Rolex 24 winner & SCCA Trans-Am champ).
-Dorsey Schroeder (Trans-Am champ)
-Calvin Fish (open wheel)
-Brian Till (CART, ran the '95 Indy 500)
-Chris Neville (thought I saw he was a driver as well.

The latter four have been mainstays of Rolex Series coverage on Speed/FS1 and are awesome.

e- Till is versatile enough to slide into the PBP seat if needed.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dan LeBetard's local Miami area radio show is officially going national through ESPN on Oct. 1st

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dan LeBetard's local Miami area radio show is officially going national through ESPN on Oct. 1st

That's good to hear considering how ESPN jerks around HQ.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bomani Jones will have a role on the radio show as well but the release doesn't define what the role will be.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw in the press release he still gets a local Miami hour.

I see Jonathan Coachman is out of a daily gig, come back to WWE Coach :unsmith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

I saw in the press release he still gets a local Miami hour.

I see Jonathan Coachman is out of a daily gig, come back to WWE Coach :unsmith:

They gave him the day-long Sunday NFL gig on ESPN Radio.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like Olbermann's new show. Kind of a perfect format for him. He can be a blowhard but he's also intelligent and has a kind of humor a bit more suited for sports. He's also a good interviewer and I think can bring the best out of guests. It will be interested to see what happens when he digs his feet into an issue where ESPN has a relationship with the league. I know he's talked a little about concussions, but what would happen if he set his sights on the league and went after them on every show?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bomani Jones will have a role on the radio show as well but the release doesn't define what the role will be.

Can someone explain Bomani Jones to me? I know a lot of people like him and I haven't followed him much. I remember looking him up on Twitter one day and I thought his account was fake for a minute. It was him arguing with every person who disagreed with him, then doling out an insult, then bragging about how he owned the guy. It felt like something you'd see a teenager do.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Niwrad posted:

I like Olbermann's new show. Kind of a perfect format for him. He can be a blowhard but he's also intelligent and has a kind of humor a bit more suited for sports. He's also a good interviewer and I think can bring the best out of guests. It will be interested to see what happens when he digs his feet into an issue where ESPN has a relationship with the league. I know he's talked a little about concussions, but what would happen if he set his sights on the league and went after them on every show?

Can someone explain Bomani Jones to me? I know a lot of people like him and I haven't followed him much. I remember looking him up on Twitter one day and I thought his account was fake for a minute. It was him arguing with every person who disagreed with him, then doling out an insult, then bragging about how he owned the guy. It felt like something you'd see a teenager do.

ESPN would tell him to find a new topic or find a new job. There's no way you can consider them as any kind of journalistic entity (except for maybe 'Outside the Lines', which of course is losing it's time slot so Colin loving Cowherd can do dumb poo poo), they're just a profit center owned by one of the most powerful corporations in the world and they just happen to do a shitload of business with one of the most powerful sports leagues in the world. It wouldn't be a big deal for them to kick Olbermann back to doing interviews on some cable channel no one watches.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Bomani is really funny and treats sports shouting shows like the dumb things they are. That's my story on why I like Bomani Jones.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

He's a very smart dude who is very aware of how smart he is, so he verges on being an rear end a lot of the time, but it's hard to fault him for it because he's generally correct. He knows how to play the game. Being intelligent is almost a negative in that business, so you have to be a bit of a prick in the process to ensure there's a place for you.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Of course the useless ESPN affiliate here won't be carrying Dan LeBatard's show, why air something that people might listen to? Then again, this is the station that gave some shithead named Bruce Jacobs a job (at least today is his last day) and also just fired two guys for getting completely swindled by a fake Shane Spencer on air. ESPN 104.5 THE TEAM!!! gently caress YEAH!!!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Bomani is really funny and treats sports shouting shows like the dumb things they are. That's my story on why I like Bomani Jones.

Right on cue, he and Spencer Hall and others tried sneaking into a high school football game. They got caught and kicked out.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

haljordan posted:

Of course the useless ESPN affiliate here won't be carrying Dan LeBatard's show, why air something that people might listen to? Then again, this is the station that gave some shithead named Bruce Jacobs a job (at least today is his last day) and also just fired two guys for getting completely swindled by a fake Shane Spencer on air. ESPN 104.5 THE TEAM!!! gently caress YEAH!!!

I can barely listen to my local ESPN radio station because everything is delayed 3 hours. I get Mike & Mike till like 10am and then Cowherd through lunch. It's hilarious though when you hear them speculating about poo poo that has already happened in real time but because of the time delay hasn't for them and they are hilariously wrong.

So instead I listen to CBS sports radio and hear Jim Rome and Doug Gottlieb. But, since I'm in Arizona it's still better than the right wing poison on literally every other station.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I can barely listen to my local ESPN radio station because everything is delayed 3 hours. I get Mike & Mike till like 10am and then Cowherd through lunch. It's hilarious though when you hear them speculating about poo poo that has already happened in real time but because of the time delay hasn't for them and they are hilariously wrong.

So instead I listen to CBS sports radio and hear Jim Rome and Doug Gottlieb. But, since I'm in Arizona it's still better than the right wing poison on literally every other station.

My CBS station mercifully cut Gottlieb out in favor of a local show. Jim Rome has always been a guilty-pleasure show but I rarely listen to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This goes back a few pages, but the one thing I don't like about the LLWS coverage is how they sometimes translate the MPH of a pitch to MLB standards which makes no sense. It's as bad as windchill or heat index and other sensationalist media crap.

Also I don't like how in basketball the director will always cut to the under the basket camera on fast breaks which is completely disorientating.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just found out that Olbermann exists on ESPN this week, and from what I've watched, I like it. It's a throwback to mornings when I was in elementary school watching him and Dan Patrick do Sportscenters. I like the style of the show, with him making jokes during the highlights, and being sarcastic in interviews.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23491546/fox-sports-will-be-active-participant-in-big-ten-rights-talks

This is old, but I want to toss it out there for discussion.

Honestly for the Big Ten it could be a good move on their part. For as much as the BTN is a propaganda wing of the conference, it does seem to give equal coverage to every member, and rarely tears down anyone within the conference.

FOX I think provides a very better platform for the network versus ESPN, who seems to hire people to specifically tear down the conference. Case in point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCraRdPX5aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWmTNPqKXM

I don't think you'd see Fox do that if they indeed had the rights to the entire conference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tearing down the conference in this case meaning "accurately describing how terrible it is"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that good or bad? I've heard a couple interviews from that show and they were pretty good. I also appreciate someone keeping Stan van Gundy on the air. But I have no opinion otherwise.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Tearing down the conference in this case meaning "accurately describing how terrible it is"

The criticism is justified.

The Big Ten isn't at the same level as the SEC.

The difference is Mark May seems to go out of his way to prove said point.

I view it as being potentially dangerous on a number of levels because...the media can directly influence what happens in College Football.

Everything from who gets to play in the National Championship Game, to the Heisman Vote (I'm saying this as if Mark May doesn't have a vote, and is potentially influencing others), to how programs are handled by the NCAA in terms of compliance.

I sound a little insane on this, but keep in mind, it's pretty much what led to Florida playing Ohio State in 2006.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

potentially dangerous

This is a thing you just said about sports media coverage

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

So you just wanted an OSU/Michigan Big 10 wankfest that year but are opposed the recent LSU/Bama SEC wankfest?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

This is a thing you just said about sports media coverage

Yeah, That was a poor choice of words.

I mean unless your covering up a Joe Paterno scandal or the NFL re: head trauma, it's not really dangerous. My mistake on that.

My bad.

Groucho Marxist posted:

So you just wanted an OSU/Michigan Big 10 wankfest that year but are opposed the recent LSU/Bama SEC wankfest?

Not necessarily. I think the media influenced both in negative ways actually.

I didn't feel when Gary Danielson was pounding the table for UF back in the day he was without bias. Certianly being employed by a network that has the rights to the SEC, would kind of tell you who he'd have preferred having in.

Now was he right? Yeah, but I kind of felt dirty in the way they determined who should have played who.

For the record, for both years I didn't want to see rematches. I felt once you lost in the regular season in conference, you're out of the title picture.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 13, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

chunkles posted:

Is that good or bad? I've heard a couple interviews from that show and they were pretty good. I also appreciate someone keeping Stan van Gundy on the air. But I have no opinion otherwise.
I enjoy the show and listen to it on podcasts at work. It's a good mix of not stupid sports talk, interviews, and comedy. They love to make fun of dumb sports radio in general.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Everyone click this right now

Son, they shook.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

He's been doing that a lot lately. He did wrestling and Seinfeld ones:

http://deadspin.com/anchor-inserts-pro-wrestlers-into-sportscast-can-you-ca-1244605570
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs-kSY-DfJw

In more serious fare, here's Olbermann going after MLB for not allowing the Nationals to wear Navy caps during the game for the Navy Yard shooting victims. For perspective, the shooting took place blocks from the ballpark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVU5Y5h5WB0

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Absolutely NO tribute caps allowed!

Except poo poo we can monetize like camo or stars and stripes or flag patches

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MLB did the same thing 2 years ago to the Yankees and Mets by not allowing them to wear NYPD/FDNY caps 10 years after 9/11, and Olbermann ripped them a new rear end in a top hat then as well.

That's a big reason why the camo and America gently caress yeah caps are pretty nauseating to me.

E: Figures that I type that before watching the video.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 18, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Drew Magary ‏@drewmagary 43s
EVERYONE DRAKE IS ON FIRST TAKE TALKING ABOUT JOHNNY FOOTBALL WHICH IS IMPORTANT

This pretty much sums up why I don't ever watch ESPN outside of Olbermann, OTL and live sporting events.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

If Finebaum interviewing Drake doesn't sound like the best thing in the world, you're a lost cause.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

If Finebaum interviewing Drake doesn't sound like the best thing in the world, you're a lost cause.

I like F-Baum. He's good peeps. Listening to his radio show while driving to a job I worked on friday's during the fall was a treat.

Drake is awful, as is all of the Young Money crew. But that is for a different section of the forums I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So NBCSN has cancelled Michelle Beadle's show The Crossover.

If you've never heard of The Crossover, I can't blame you. NBCSN never figured out what to do with the format, shuffling co-hosts and airing it against the 6PM SportsCenter. Beadle herself has complained about the lack of promotion, and last week it got preempted by sailing, of all things.

It's a shame for Beadle--she's really good on TV and I wish NBC would push her more.