Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I love it and Id drive the poo poo out of it but hes talking about buying a pick up truck and you're saying just put the top down on the Miata you should buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

I thought this link was pretty neato. Shows failed Mustang designs through the years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/08/30/ford-mustangs-bombed/2735827/

:forkbomb:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

It's a... Mustaurus?

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
More likely a Mobe.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Id drive the poo poo out of that mustang wagon

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

mungtor posted:

More likely a Mobe.

This sounds right, since Ford initially wanted to replace the Mustang with the Probe.. but wasn't it earlier on than '94 that they abandoned that plan?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

West SAAB Story posted:

This sounds right, since Ford initially wanted to replace the Mustang with the Probe.. but wasn't it earlier on than '94 that they abandoned that plan?

The first-gen Probe was supposed to replace the Mustang. They abandoned that plan before the Probe even came out IIRC.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Since I have stuff pretty much sorted out and am up to date with service with my '00, I'm thinking about suspension improvements and have a couple questions.

The idea is to maintain a stock-ish ride height because I like how the bumper clears curbs, but stiffen it up a bit and give it less floppy handling characteristics - no track time intended, just improvements for the commute, occasional pleasure cruising, and maybe 1-2 time-only autocrosses a year. I am specifically after a non-adjustable setup because if not I will endlessly fiddle with adjustments and I just want to drive the car.

Listen you dont want to drop you car a little. Doing that makes your car still look like a 4x4. I can not stress hard enough, that you should spend just a little bit more money and get the Bilsteins. I also cant stress hard enough that any mustang suspension mod you do you should get thru Maximum Motorsports (or their dealers). the whole kit is $1200, thats the H&R springs, bilsteins shocks, struts, caster/camber plates, etc.... It is the gateway mod for extreme suspension mods.

If you buy from them, you can tell them what you want and they can put a different package together. If you get the Bilsteins though, your can eventually mod them to support coil overs. you can get the totikos or whatever too, but you are pretty much locked out from doing more extreme suspension mods.

also you said you want stiff, getting full length subframe connectors (again from maximum motorsports, or their dealers) that will help out when you floor the car and you wont feel the steering wheel pulling left or right when the chassis twists. it makes it really strong.

if you want to get into autocrossing, MM's "the starter box" is the way to go.

I read your next posts, about your wierd rear end roads. I will update this reply and still say get the starter box, but tell them you want to maintain as near stock height as possible. they will supply you with a different set of springs.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 30, 2013

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Don't forget the other two concepts that came with that one. I think the designers were doing a goldilocks thing of "too little, too much, just about right."

This was the Rambo model, which looks like a lovely bodykit you can probably buy right now.

The one that won was Shwarzenegger.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think you can make a solid argument that the New Edge SN95s were at least "inspired" by Rambo. Except Rambo might actually be better looking.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Q_res posted:

I think you can make a solid argument that the New Edge SN95s were at least "inspired" by Rambo. Except Rambo might actually be better looking.

Pretty sure the Rambo became the Super Stallion, a really cool car from an engineering standpoint.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is it normal to have to fill up the GT once a week?

Geesus I love this car but god drat filling up once a week is going to be terrible!

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

frozenphil posted:

Pretty sure the Rambo became the Super Stallion, a really cool car from an engineering standpoint.

"Look ma, no strut towers!"

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Geesus I love this car but god drat filling up once a week is going to be terrible!

I didn't realize mileage was based on time rather than distance driven

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

The gas tank is not very large at all, so depending on how much you drive, this is normal. There's a reason Clarkson called it a "fuel thimble."

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
Impulse buy!

Its a 2011 that I bought used with.... 762 miles on the odometer.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Zeroboy posted:

Impulse buy!

Its a 2011 that I bought used with.... 762 miles on the odometer.

I like it!! Who only drove it 762 miles???

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
Oh wait, that was planned for a while.

Heres the impulse buy

Borla atak axle back system. Amazon had one on sale for 604.

Thursday can't come soon enough!

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

I like it!! Who only drove it 762 miles???

It was about 2k more than I was planning on spending but the guy bought it brand new and just never drove it.
No pictures or anything but I showed up and it was completely flawless. 24500 for an almost brand new 2011 GT.

Zeroboy
Feb 21, 2001
Heres a couple more

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Captain Apollo posted:

You bought a V8 powered sports car.

Did you expect 35 mpg? Because if you did, I will have to take your car back from you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You bought a V8 powered sports car.

Did you expect 35 mpg? Because if you did, I will have to take your car back from you.

Haha no. I had an old SUV that had a 24 gallon tank so it's just surprising.

I guess the real surprise is that I drive so drat much!

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

^ Nice looking car! You can replace the wheel with a nice leather wrapped one if you want. I actually threw my base wheel away and replaced with a Bullitt leather wrapped wheel. Just be sure to use your steering wheel buttons (swap them in).

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 1, 2013

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Well I decided to go green...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thats sexy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

mattwhoo posted:

Well I decided to go green...

I love that color and I love that car. :mmmhmm:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Great looking car. Congratulations!

I need some help diagnosing a 'sound.

Sometime when I slow down tot ake a turn, and there is a bump in the road, I hear a 'crunch' sound. My wife seems to think its the shocks, but I'm not so sure. I don't hear it every time, and I especially dont hear it when going down the road, even over really bumpy surfaces.

I'm curious if its a combination of something in the back trunk getting thrown up and down, and a combination of the sound of the muffler almost....backfiring? as it slows down to take turns the way I do.

Anybody have an offhand recommendation for testing this stuff out? I pushed down on the hood/rear to listen to shock and I'm not hearing it.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Great looking car. Congratulations!

I need some help diagnosing a 'sound.

Sometime when I slow down tot ake a turn, and there is a bump in the road, I hear a 'crunch' sound. My wife seems to think its the shocks, but I'm not so sure. I don't hear it every time, and I especially dont hear it when going down the road, even over really bumpy surfaces.

I'm curious if its a combination of something in the back trunk getting thrown up and down, and a combination of the sound of the muffler almost....backfiring? as it slows down to take turns the way I do.

Anybody have an offhand recommendation for testing this stuff out? I pushed down on the hood/rear to listen to shock and I'm not hearing it.

What year is it? Part of why my car was repurchased under the lemon law was for the lower control arms(parts were backordered for three weeks). It would have a bad crunching type sound going into my driveway and over speed bumps. If its a recent model there is a TSB out for it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Christ. 2013. It only happens every now and then. I guess I should make an appointment at the local dealership huh....

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
I would. Its not a safety issue as far as I know, its the bushings in the lower control arms making all the noise. The most updated TSB has them replacing the control arms and placing heat shields to hopefully fix the issue. I guess over time the heat is getting to them. Get it fixed, it will just get worse sounding the longer you go. Hopefully your poo poo won't be back ordered for weeks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kalvick posted:

I read your next posts, about your wierd rear end roads. I will update this reply and still say get the starter box, but tell them you want to maintain as near stock height as possible. they will supply you with a different set of springs.

I don't know if they're weird rear end. The good driving roads away from the city are largely just in pretty poor repair, like

... which makes even going in a straight line a "pucker up and hold on" affair sometimes, thus I want better shocks and struts. I like the stock height because I stopped worrying about scraping my front bumper on parking lot curbs back in my 20s.

Anyhow, thanks for the input on suspension. Why doesn't MM list spring rates?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

mattwhoo posted:

I would. Its not a safety issue as far as I know, its the bushings in the lower control arms making all the noise. The most updated TSB has them replacing the control arms and placing heat shields to hopefully fix the issue. I guess over time the heat is getting to them. Get it fixed, it will just get worse sounding the longer you go. Hopefully your poo poo won't be back ordered for weeks.

Hmm, I get that sound in the front. I was thinking it was the end links not enjoying my stiff sway bar or the nuts coming loose. I'll check them out when I pop my track pads in. Think a dealer will dick me around if I ask them to do the LCA TSB? We shall see.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Here is a link to the TSB http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...arm-over-bumps/

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Anyhow, thanks for the input on suspension. Why doesn't MM list spring rates?

I dunno, I usually call them, explain what me or my friends want to do and they make recommendations.
spring rates differ on the other suspension mods you do, like torque arm, pan hard, 1/4 mile driving, coil over, lower adj. control arms, steering, etc...

you got to tell em what you want.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 4, 2013

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Love my car :0

IMG_9455.jpg on Flickr

IMG_9499.jpg by. on Flickr

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 27, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That is a good car. The wheels remind of some sort of motorcycle wheel, though. Don't know why it makes me think of one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
? maybe

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah, that must be it. Good catch, those wheels remind of of that logo, whatever it may be. West Coast Choppers logo?

Much better looking than the new edge star wheels I have, though. Especially since the center cap gets dirty at a different rate than the rest of the wheel.

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 6, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Cage posted:

Yeah, that must be it. Good catch, those wheels remind of of that logo, whatever it may be. West Coast Choppers logo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Cross#In_post-war_pop_culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007
Look what decided to pop up on my 2011 GT! Horray iron contamination problems are still happening!

Went to the dealer and they told me it "wasn't bad enough" to be covered yet under the 5yr/Unlimited corrosion. And I'm at 37k miles so I'm out of the 3yr/36k. It has since gotten worse and is spreading below the hood also, so hopefully I can get this taken care of soon.