Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

I think for floors you should try to do all the starting floor then the first floor and then the attic above it, then go for downstairs as you'll have rewards from completing quests or beating/magicing up the encounters.

Yeah, but after the upper floors I'm usually at 6+ tokens out of 12, with three basement floors and no idea where the objective room is. I've even dropped down to easy and combed the poo poo out the basement, and I still don't know where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stelas posted:

Yeah, but after the upper floors I'm usually at 6+ tokens out of 12, with three basement floors and no idea where the objective room is. I've even dropped down to easy and combed the poo poo out the basement, and I still don't know where to go.

Hmmm.

I think also you need to know when to run away from things, especially if you aren't geared to beat them. With the roaming encounters you should try running and hiding:

Manual posted:

To lose a random encounter that is pursuing you, you need to move more than one room away from the encounter. If the encounter can not observe which door you went through contact is broken. Once contact is broken there is a chance based on the game difficulty and your hidden Luck attribute that the encounter will be removed from the game. Otherwise it will loiter or randomly choose an adjacent room to enter until it is removed from the board.

Other than that I dunno :shobon:.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Beating stuff isn't a problem so much as just spending too long or not long enough scouring the upper floors of the house and running out of story tokens. I think I should probably play a couple games on Slow or No Story Progression to get a feel for where the final room tends to be and how long you're supposed to take. Seems like it's usually on B2F rather than B3F unless I keep missing corridors.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm going to go against the grain and recommend against putting down $20 for Occult Chronicles.

There are two reasons:

1. The trick taking 'game' is really simple, and feels more like manually executing dice rolls. It wouldn't be that bad except there are situations where you have to play the game so many times to resolve a single encounter. Something more geared like Shalandar would be amazing, but its about as shallow as 'War'.

2. The game is poorly balanced right now. You can get into an encounter you should win easily, and just draw a bunch of low cards. Then on the penalty draw you get pinged -2 swords and suddenly you get 1 trick per game to make 7 points which can only be resolved with a face card taking another face card of the same suit in one chance. Meanwhile you have permanents that block damage on the penalty draw so you are forced to play for the unlikely occurrence of two face cards. God help you if you get more stat debuffs. The main menu is not accessible during this time so the only option is to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and kill the process. The worst part is that if you do get out of the encounter somehow, the stat debuff seems permanent so every encounter from then on will be like that.

Dying would be fine since its a shorter game, but every single game I played has devolved into this stalemate. I think the big problem is how easy it is to debuff your main stats which directly correlate to how many cards you can draw. You can get coins to rebuy stats (sometimes, what determines the categories?!?) but they are too rare compared to the debuffs.

Edit: Also window mode forcing the game window to be top window at all times. What is the loving point then?!

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 2, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend against putting down $20 for Occult Chronicles.

There are two reasons:

1. The trick taking 'game' is really simple, and feels more like manually executing dice rolls. It wouldn't be that bad except there are situations where you have to play the game so many times to resolve a single encounter. Something more geared like Shalandar would be amazing, but its about as shallow as 'War'.

Eh it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is meant to be like more interesting and strategic dice rolls, what with all the edges and inventory stuff. So rather than just getting a 'roll' you maybe have a brain in a jar reveal some cards to you, so you can use your luger to bump your cards up and win the scenario or cast an eldritch spell etc.

Uncle Jam posted:

2. The game is poorly balanced right now. You can get into an encounter you should win easily, and just draw a bunch of low cards. Then on the penalty draw you get pinged -2 swords and suddenly you get 1 trick per game to make 7 points which can only be resolved with a face card taking another face card of the same suit in one chance. Meanwhile you have permanents that block damage on the penalty draw so you are forced to play for the unlikely occurrence of two face cards. God help you if you get more stat debuffs.

I don't really agree, often you can lose encounters and get full sets of no effects (unless you have a lot of psychic pushback) and even if not you still have the chance of your talismans blocking the result. Whilst if you do get hit by a debuff it is debilitating, it fits thematically. You are just a human fighting supernatural lovecraftian monsters, you are kind of fragile.

Also the debuffs are clearly meant to be permanent I mean you don't heal a missing eye easily. (Of course you can heal them via certain events and cards!)

Whilst you might have your stats lowered you don't end up drawing 1 card for 1 trick forever as there is a built in mechanic to help you:

Determination posted:

If you are attempting a particularly difficult challenge and you are drawing less than 5 cards or less than 5 trick cards are being placed on the board, then after you fail a challenge, if you attempt the exact same challenge again you will receive a +1 bonus to cards drawn and tricks on the board each time that you fail until you are drawing at least 5 cards and at least 5 cards are played to the board. If you leave the encounter or pick a different option type (challenge) then the bonus is reset back to 0 and will only increment again if you fail the challenge.

Uncle Jam posted:

You can get coins to rebuy stats (sometimes, what determines the categories?!?) but they are too rare compared to the debuffs.

It should say when you are picking which extra background which stats you will be able to buy, so certain magic based ones will only let you buy pentacles, whearas one of the hybrid ones could let you get cups and wands etc.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's very definitely a game where you have to plan your advancement at least a little, and where you can just get hosed by bad luck. But by the same token you can absolutely nail a check, or have to draw 7 penalty cards and get no penalties.

Remember to always plan around 2 or 3 stats rather than trying for all four, and always try to smash a check as hard as possible so you get more stuff. Most weapons have absolutely no downside to using them, while psychic powers are great on a wands character as they're already unlikely to fail as-is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pseudo-Roguelike related, I beat Liberal Crime Squad for the first time today! It's actually quite a bit easier than I thought it would be; I just ended up relying on kind of boring non-violent strategies for turning public opinion, using a couple really skilled Liberals to do infiltration and kidnapping/brainwashing to fill out my ranks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Pseudo-Roguelike related, I beat Liberal Crime Squad for the first time today! It's actually quite a bit easier than I thought it would be; I just ended up relying on kind of boring non-violent strategies for turning public opinion, using a couple really skilled Liberals to do infiltration and kidnapping/brainwashing to fill out my ranks.

You wouldn't happen to be playing on android, would you? I mostly play it on my phone and can't find a way to do a few seemingly-crucial things like setting up shop in a factory or building site. I'm not sure if it's something that the fairly lovely android UI is causing or if I am just missing something. It's too bad too, because my current group of terrorists is well suited to win as far as I can tell. I have a batch of tailors cranking out armor, basically unlimited money from selling clothes / hacking credit cards, and rifle skills from a couple of seduced soldiers and gang members.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
No, I'm just playing the PC version. Although if the Android version is based on the newest betas, one thing I have noticed is that you now only start with one "warehouse" type safehouse, as opposed to two in the past. You get more of them now by attacking CCS strongholds and taking them (getting the CCS wiped out by publishing their list of backers does not get you their strongholds - you have to raid them yourself). You can also take the crack house in the same way. There's no special option to capture a stronghold - you basically just kill a bunch of people there and if you did enough you'll be in control of it when you leave. There doesn't seem to be any notification when you've captured it either, so you just kind of have to decide for yourself when you should stop.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 3, 2013

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Caves of Qud

Qud is a really awesome setting with a surprisingly wide variety of builds. The game itself is still in a pre-release state, but it's in a very fun state. There's loads of little detail presented with a, if not immediately apparent, streamlined UI; space defaults to a context-sensitive Do-The-Right action button which will prompt you by direction when there's multiple choices. Ranged combat is handled surprisingly well, though you have to spec for it. There's a lot of various active-powers you can get from skills, mutations, and though I've never found it, apparently cybernetic modification. There's a STUPID amount of detail in the game, in a fun way, with an amazing setting for the story. I really cannot recommend this game enough, to the point that I have to share my most awesome recent Qud experience.

I was trekking across the jungles of Qud when I saw some yellow fish; madpoles. These toothy bastards latch onto prey and tear limbs off. Figuring myself safe in my natural chitinous carapace--literally hardened enough to deflect bullets from chaingun turrets in the ruins of abandoned military complexes I frequent--I approached the poles. I emptied half my carbine into the closest madpoles. Feeling sporting, I drew my daggers and waded towards the sole remaining madpole.

When I think "giant turtle shell man who has claws on the back of his hands that he digs through concrete with in between killing giant psychic horses and shamanistic goat men who can literally drain life with their eyes," I think this dude can handle a loving madpole in single combat. I was technically right.

The madpole latched onto me as usual, and as it was a new experience for me, I panicked a little bit as it immediately tore off my left arm. Realizing that with one arm, it's quite impossible to wield a fully automatic rifle in melee combat while it's on the ground next to my other dagger (the one still clutched by my old left hand) I manage to forget I was carrying a revolver, which would have been useful at the moment. But I get ahead of myself.

Somehow, and I say somehow because I kind of panicked and just did stuff, I broke free from the madpole and rolled out of the water. I took stock of myself and noticed that my awesome turtleshell was still intact. Both arms and feet, however, were literally in a pile next to me. The same pile that had my daggers and my rifle, next to a madpole.

Long story short, and let's face it, needless to say in Qud: I regenned one arm off a shot of superdrugs, shot the madpole to death with my revolver, collected my now incredibly bloody gear, and ate my severed limbs to avoid starving to death while I waited for everything else to regenerate naturally from my mutant powers.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
http://empyrea.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2126&start=50#p3452 Well a month or so later after he vanished into the ether again, that about wraps it for CultRL/Empyrea outside of a Cataclysm-like fan continuation or some such from the looks of it. Even with all the details he went into, it still just doesn't add up on so many levels to me beyond just some burnout exaggerated to a suspect degree. Especially given the billing about this being a project for many years to come and whatnot---what a waste. Maybe the guy can at least manage the refunds in full though, maybe.

quote:

Hey all. I am sorry for the late reply.

I have read over the thread and also have considered the various e-mails I received.

Mostly I have just needed some time trying to think of how to deal with this problem. As you can all probably imagine, I'm not in a very good situation right now and my options are pretty limited. I am not especially interested in the idea of continuing with the project - not with as much misery as it has ended up causing (although this is my fault and nobody else's - it's true that I was simply too naive about my ability to finish something so grand in scale), but I'm also not at all willing to drop things or leave a big debt unpaid. Hemmingjay's offer of a 'reduced' refund is very generous, but I would really honestly prefer to be able to pay back in full what I owe.

As some of you have noted, the Kickstarter didn't end up paying out a great deal to me. I can pull out my tax paperwork, but I believe what ended up coming to me after taxes, fees, and payments to contractors was approximately $14,500. That was enough to allow me to develop for a year or so on an extremely minimal living. That, however, is not the fault of the backers and I would rather try to establish a fairer way of offering refunds (i.e., I would prefer to just refund the entire amount).

Right now I am working full-time as a live-in caregiver. I took this position precisely because the Kickstarter did not provide enough for me to develop long-term, and I wanted to be able to continue to develop. Thankfully the position itself has been a great blessing. Work on the project, OTOH... we all see where that has gone. Again, it's entirely my fault.

I am also working on writing a novel (currently at 45,000 words). Between saving money and writing, I'm hoping to be able to offer refunds as soon as possible. I will write up a similar post for Kickstarter since I have neglected that while I've been trying to decide on a course of action. No matter how I think of it, though, the idea of picking the project back up again seems absurd at this point.

I am open to making the code open-source, or sharing it with an interested developer. Either one is fine with me.

I am sorry for the hassle, and I do intend to set things straight.
David

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think that this really makes me appreciate the way Biskup ran his crowdfunding campaign. His bit on RL radio where he explains how they came up with the goal and talked about taxes, realistic salary expectations etc. It should be a must listen for developers. I'm constantly astounded by the kickstarter campaigns that don't seem to realize that a 20k kickstarter doesn't mean 20k in their pockets.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I think that this really makes me appreciate the way Biskup ran his crowdfunding campaign. His bit on RL radio where he explains how they came up with the goal and talked about taxes, realistic salary expectations etc. It should be a must listen for developers. I'm constantly astounded by the kickstarter campaigns that don't seem to realize that a 20k kickstarter doesn't mean 20k in their pockets.

It helps that Biskup is the CEO of a software company.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bouchacha posted:

It helps that Biskup is the CEO of a software company.

Absolutely. He knows the value of his time and his work. He also knows that undervaluing it won't lead to a good outcome. And the tax thing.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Quitter posted:

As some of you have noted, the Kickstarter didn't end up paying out a great deal to me. I can pull out my tax paperwork, but I believe what ended up coming to me after taxes, fees, and payments to contractors was approximately $14,500. That was enough to allow me to develop for a year or so on an extremely minimal living.

This is exceptionally disingenuous, more reason to be very upset with him. "Taxes" on a Kickstarter at the 5 figures level are almost a non-issue, given that nearly everything you do with the money becomes a legitimate, no-tricks-or-loopholes business expense. Most egregious of all, the guy set a goal of 5,000 dollars, made seven times that amount and complains that it isn't enough to survive on.

I'm very angry, I can feel the follicles on my neck sprouting with excitement. It will pass.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It's not really a "business expense" if the guy explicitly asks for "living expenses" so that he can work on the game in his free time unfortunately.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm really skeptical he'll end up giving out any refunds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yeah, the whole situation is a bust.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

It's not really a "business expense" if the guy explicitly asks for "living expenses" so that he can work on the game in his free time unfortunately.

He didn't, though - his kickstarter doesn't mention living expenses at all, nor does it say he'll work full-time on the game, just that he'll pour the money into 'extended and enriching development'. If $35k wasn't enough to do the development on, what the hell was his business plan if he only made his original $5k?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I would assume that his plan with $5k was to spend a month or 2 cleaning up what he had and calling it done and $35k made him greatly overestimate how much more he could do on that much money.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I am Not Good at Brogue :saddowns:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tollymain posted:

Man, I am Not Good at Brogue :saddowns:

On the plus side, those fire mechanics are great :allears:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I would assume that his plan with $5k was to spend a month or 2 cleaning up what he had and calling it done and $35k made him greatly overestimate how much more he could do on that much money.

His stretch goal rewards aren't really that outlandish, though, and he used all the right language to allow him to write his $35k off as business-related expense. Unless he got absolutely shafted on the cost of someone building his tileset and website for him, I don't get where $20k is vanishing into the air.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A year and change of living off it? Getting taken for a ride by contractors? Excessive diversions to the hookers and blow fund? $5k of testing and code clean up turning into $10k+ of scope creep?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He never really had anything to begin with. He had a world generator when he made the kickstarter and he's got a slightly improved world generator now.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quiggy posted:

On the plus side, those fire mechanics are great :allears:

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this. Everyone is vomiting, on fire, and beating the crap out of everyone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

He never really had anything to begin with. He had a world generator when he made the kickstarter and he's got a slightly improved world generator now.

Oh. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt as someone who hasn't been following the project closely. gently caress him.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

uPen posted:

Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

Having played the beta backed when it was posted in the last RL thread, from my experience it's not worth 8 dollars. It's repetitive and has bad controls and barely qualifies as action. I honestly cannot recommend it because everything I've seen regarding this paid version looks like the old beta, it doesn't look like anything's different.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

uPen posted:

I got the android version for free on the Amazon App of the Day. It seems ok, but the controls are so bad that I can't really get into it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uPen posted:

I really like it, but it's still in a state of being unfinished. While it's a lot better than when I first got it a while back, there's still not that much to do. The controls I feel are perfect, at least for my phone (Incredible 2) and while it'll take some more updates before it's truly compelling, it's an overall average experience.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Delver has lots of potential as an Ultima Underworld'ish thing far moreso than something in a Minecraft stripe---but it definitely still needs tons of content, polish, and updates in general. I hope getting on Steam serves as a real shot in the arm for it, particularly as an impetus to get the UI, controls, and presentation souped up quick, fast and in a hurry else the audience won't stick around to dig into the rest for long.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sleepy Owl posted:

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this. Everyone is vomiting, on fire, and beating the crap out of everyone.

If I was the OP I would just replace the entire Brogue entry with this picture.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Stelas posted:

His stretch goal rewards aren't really that outlandish, though, and he used all the right language to allow him to write his $35k off as business-related expense. Unless he got absolutely shafted on the cost of someone building his tileset and website for him, I don't get where $20k is vanishing into the air.

You don't need to disguise things in clever language. I spent some time talking to a CPA who handles the taxes for a studio I worked at prior to Dungeonmans. If you work out of your home, some part of your rent and utilities can be claimed as expenses. Money you give to contractors count as expenses. Any new hardware you purchase for yourself are expenses. Money spent supporting the business, both before and after your KS launch, all of that counts. The wording on the KS isn't relevant, the income from a KS is the same as income from flipping burgers or selling plush ponies on Etsy.

Sleepy Owl posted:

That's so awesome. Do fires in brogue carry downward through pitfalls generated via potions? Because that would be the next comedic step, to drop all of this hot mess onto a room full of ogres with chained salamanders.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Space Bat posted:

Having played the beta backed when it was posted in the last RL thread, from my experience it's not worth 8 dollars. It's repetitive and has bad controls and barely qualifies as action. I honestly cannot recommend it because everything I've seen regarding this paid version looks like the old beta, it doesn't look like anything's different.

It's also only a dollar on android. It is the only rogulike that I've made it to the bottom of though. Getting back out is another story. Upcoming graphics look good though

Gif in the middle of this page
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24764.2655

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Potsticker posted:

I really like it, but it's still in a state of being unfinished. While it's a lot better than when I first got it a while back, there's still not that much to do. The controls I feel are perfect, at least for my phone (Incredible 2) and while it'll take some more updates before it's truly compelling, it's an overall average experience.

Huh, I have the same phone as you and I think the controls are literally the worst I've ever seen in an Android game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Huh, I have the same phone as you and I think the controls are literally the worst I've ever seen in an Android game.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, then.

As more explanation for our friend:
The way the game controls is you hold your phone like a controller, with one thumb on one side of the screen to control your movement, the other thumb on the other to control the direction you are looking. Items are tapped at and can be dragged around and there's an inventory on the top of the screen. An on-screen button on the right side can be tapped to attack.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

This is exceptionally disingenuous, more reason to be very upset with him. "Taxes" on a Kickstarter at the 5 figures level are almost a non-issue, given that nearly everything you do with the money becomes a legitimate, no-tricks-or-loopholes business expense. Most egregious of all, the guy set a goal of 5,000 dollars, made seven times that amount and complains that it isn't enough to survive on.

I'm very angry, I can feel the follicles on my neck sprouting with excitement. It will pass.

You have to actually understand that taxes work that way, though, and fill them out correctly. He may not have.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

That's so awesome. Do fires in brogue carry downward through pitfalls generated via potions? Because that would be the next comedic step, to drop all of this hot mess onto a room full of ogres with chained salamanders.

Well the zombies and salamander would fall in, so everything would still be on fire either way. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Are Sil tiles gonna be a thing anytime soon? Just started messing around with it and it seems really cool but the ascii graphics kinda burn me out.