Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

Endo's cool, but Osunaarashi overshadowed him for me (even though he beat him), just because of the storyline. Looking forwards to seeing Endo in Makuuchi though.

There's no way that Baruto goes to Juryo from M6. Worst thing they'd do is stick him at M16 or something. That said, I really want to see the 15-0 destruction that would come from Baruto in Juryo.

I just hope he's fully healed.

Also lets see how Osunaarashi does when he gets to eat before the basho next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Was it confirmed anywhere that Oosunaarashi respected Ramadan fasting rules? I've been wondering about this but couldn't find an answer.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I found this article that indicates that he is indeed fasting during Ramadan.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, the dude is fasting which is pretty nuts.

A little Ramadan related anecdote: I'm teaching English in the Tokyo area. I had some training the other day and one of my training-mates is Muslim and also does karate. He's fasting for Ramadan and someone asked him if he was doing karate while fasting. He said something like "no way, man, we do karate for 3 hours. Even the black belts need to take water, it's that serious. So I just watch." I wanted to tell him about Osunaarashi but I did what I do whenever I want to tell someone about something in sumo. I remember that people will just think I'm weird and not say anything.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah, the dude is fasting which is pretty nuts.

A little Ramadan related anecdote: I'm teaching English in the Tokyo area. I had some training the other day and one of my training-mates is Muslim and also does karate. He's fasting for Ramadan and someone asked him if he was doing karate while fasting. He said something like "no way, man, we do karate for 3 hours. Even the black belts need to take water, it's that serious. So I just watch." I wanted to tell him about Osunaarashi but I did what I do whenever I want to tell someone about something in sumo. I remember that people will just think I'm weird and not say anything.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the fasting only when the sun is up? As in, drinking water and eating would be perfectly fine for an evening workout.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
As far as I know, yeah. My friend can only attend karate on Sunday's, though, and I guess there's only a class during the day. As for Osunaarashi, I'm not sure of he does his workout at night or what. I feel like that's been addressed in some article I've read but I can't remember.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Looks like the official sumo site has updated, which changed the link slightly - http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/index

I don't really like it. It's the exact same content but with more images and Javascript that add nothing of value.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Rankings are out for September's basho

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

If Baruto's ready to go then there's going to be a slaughter in Juryo

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Ahaha. Oh god. If he goes 14-1 it'll be a disappointment.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Also, Endo. I knew he was going to make a jump in the ranks, but going from J13 to M13 is just crazy. Hope he doesn't crash and burn.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Also, Endo. I knew he was going to make a jump in the ranks, but going from J13 to M13 is just crazy. Hope he doesn't crash and burn.

I think they pulled the rankings out of their rear end this time around.

Osunaarashi and Asahishou should be about the same rank since Asahishou was 2 ranks higher but won 1 less match than Osuna. But instead Osuna is J4 while Asahi gets the bump to M16. Ok fine, they're biased to experience, which also explains Homasho jumping even higher than Asahishou. Endo should have been J1 at best since he has no more experience than Osuna does.

If Baruto goes 14-1 they'll probably put him straight back to Komusubi at this rate.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fryhtaning posted:

I think they pulled the rankings out of their rear end this time around.

Osunaarashi and Asahishou should be about the same rank since Asahishou was 2 ranks higher but won 1 less match than Osuna. But instead Osuna is J4 while Asahi gets the bump to M16. Ok fine, they're biased to experience, which also explains Homasho jumping even higher than Asahishou. Endo should have been J1 at best since he has no more experience than Osuna does.

If Baruto goes 14-1 they'll probably put him straight back to Komusubi at this rate.

Yeah, these rankings are just bizarrely chosen. I don't even see the point of putting Baruto into Juryo. Assuming his leg even functions a bit, he's going to obliterate everyone else. Unless the thinking is that they want to give him an easy return tournament in case he isn't 100%, but when has that sort of thinking ever occurred in sumo? All I know is the tournament will be drat entertaining, one way or another. Anyone want to take bets on how many rows into the crowd Baruto punts someone?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Pvt. Public posted:

Yeah, these rankings are just bizarrely chosen. I don't even see the point of putting Baruto into Juryo. Assuming his leg even functions a bit, he's going to obliterate everyone else. Unless the thinking is that they want to give him an easy return tournament in case he isn't 100%, but when has that sort of thinking ever occurred in sumo? All I know is the tournament will be drat entertaining, one way or another. Anyone want to take bets on how many rows into the crowd Baruto punts someone?

I literally cannot visualize anything short of The Incredible Hulk on a rampage when I think of Baruto in Juryo. Literally cannot.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fryhtaning posted:

I literally cannot visualize anything short of The Incredible Hulk on a rampage when I think of Baruto in Juryo. Literally cannot.

That's the exact same mental picture I got as well. I'm thinking maybe I should send a message to Kintamayama and see if he'd do a special "Baruto's Bash-o" video with him dyed green and his miwashi, tattered, in purple. And with comic-like special effects and overlays. I would pay good money for that.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Look at the bright side, Baruto finally has a chance to earn a kinboshi (next basho).

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Looking up potential roadblocks (other than another injury) to Baruto going 15-0 I notice that he has never fought Takanoyama...

Tochinoshin has beaten him once before as well, I guess

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Tsaedje posted:

Looking up potential roadblocks (other than another injury) to Baruto going 15-0 I notice that he has never fought Takanoyama...

Osunaarashi is clearly going to bully the hell out of Baruto. I believe!!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize Tochinoshin was in Juryo. Wow, how did that happen? He has rock solid technique and insane strength. Maybe he was nursing an injury or something. He should tear the poo poo out of Juryo as well.

Edit: If Takanoyama beats Baruto then Baruto should just retire. He just needs to stand straight up on the tachi-ai and get one hand on him and fling him out.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize Tochinoshin was in Juryo. Wow, how did that happen? He has rock solid technique and insane strength. Maybe he was nursing an injury or something. He should tear the poo poo out of Juryo as well.

Edit: If Takanoyama beats Baruto then Baruto should just retire. He just needs to stand straight up on the tachi-ai and get one hand on him and fling him out.

Tochinoshin had a bad run at the top order then got an injury last basho, hopefully he'll bounce back up

1JoshI
Nov 2, 2011
Baruto has announced his retirement. Sumo's so unforgiving over injuries that need more than a 2 month break.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

1JoshI posted:

Baruto has announced his retirement. Sumo's so unforgiving over injuries that need more than a 2 month break.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Goddamn. It's tough being a big dude.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
He must not be 100% yet still :(

I suppose the silver lining is that it opens up a spot for another foreigner.

Here is an article:

quote:

Estonia's only professional sumo wrestler, Kaido Höövelson, aka Baruto, has unexpectedly announced that he is retiring from the sport.

The 28-year-old said the decision was motivated by a knee injury that has turned out to be more serious than originally thought, inhibiting him from using his full might against his opponents, reported uudised.err.ee. "I can't do it with half power,“ he said.

"My sumo career has been unusual and overall very successful. Even more than the titles and awards, I value the people that the sport introduced me to and there are a lot of them. I love Japan and Japanese culture, which has developed me as a person and gave me opportunities to learn to know myself and the world better,“ Baruto said.

Baruto made his professional sumo debut in May 2004, rising to the top division two years later. In March 2010, he was promoted to Ozeki, the second highest rank in the sport. Over the course of his career, he won multiple awards for fighting spirit. At the end of last year, however, his injuries began causing him to miss tournaments or forfeit bouts.

He added that when in Japan, he always felt the support of Estonia. "The interest of regular folks, and also the professional and respectful interest of journalists, was pleasant. All in all it was perhaps the biggest motivator because I worked in Japan but home is in Estonia .“

The wrestler said he was happy to be a promoter of the sumo sport in Estonia. "I intend to continue this activity. Through the years I have gained a lot of contacts who can advance our shared interests.“
Baruto will return to Estonia after September 20.

"I still have to go to Japan numerous times in the near future, because ending an athletic career there is tied to many ceremonies. When those end, I will stay home and start living an Estonian life.“

Edit:
Read somewhere else that he hasn't done any training at all, because the knee still isn't healed. Its probably the right choice :sigh:

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2013

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Noooooooo.... That's terrible

It wasnt that long ago we all thought he'd be the second Yokozuna.

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
This is awful :(

I really wish they would bring back the public injury rule.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

K0npeito posted:

This is awful :(

I really wish they would bring back the public injury rule.

What was that?

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
From the 1970s to 2003, if you were injured in the ring, you could sit out the next tournament without losing your rank. It was abolished, as I recall, because there was a perception that rikishi were abusing it, claiming public injury exemptions over any minor complaint they could justify. That was just when I was getting into the sport, though, so my memory is a bit hazy.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Somebody dig up my post about knee injuries. They are always super tricky and to not be able to take time off to properly heal and rehab; that's a career killer. Real shame to lose him. I liked watching him in his best form.

Here I am:

Funkysauce back in January posted:

I hope for a Baruto comeback but leg injuries can be tricky and long lasting. If he does well this basho and stays healthy I'll see it as a big step in the right direction.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 12, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Harsh demotion rules aside, it's really drat tough to recover from a major knee injury when you're over 300 lbs. I doubt he would have ever been able to get back to his previous form even if he had all the recovery time in the world.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Harsh demotion rules aside, it's really drat tough to recover from a major knee injury when you're over 300 lbs. I doubt he would have ever been able to get back to his previous form even if he had all the recovery time in the world.

True, the weight makes is difficult if not impossible to return to previous form.

A good indicator is offensive lineman in the NFL getting a foot injury around 30. It is not impossible to come back but the body is not designed to hold up that amount of weight. You generally come back with weaker legs and less movement.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

evilwaldo posted:

True, the weight makes is difficult if not impossible to return to previous form.

A good indicator is offensive lineman in the NFL getting a foot injury around 30. It is not impossible to come back but the body is not designed to hold up that amount of weight. You generally come back with weaker legs and less movement.

Exactly. More lax injury rules would be great for allowing things like niggling elbow injuries to heal, but lower-body stuff is a whole different ballgame for guys this huge.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Nooooo! I just read the news from Araibira and I'm absolutely crushed for Baruto. That literally and figuratively leaves a giant hole in sumo for me. I even saw him wrestle Hakuho, in person, on the day I fell in love with sumo.

Edit: Looks like Tochinoshin has withdrawn from the 1st day as well. Doesn't look positive for him.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 13, 2013

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
By the way, if you guys are interested in sumo commentary by long-time fans, I'd suggest hitting up sumotalk.com. Mike, the main guy, always has interesting things to say when it comes to sumo. He just posted his pre-basho predictions, check it out and see if you like his style!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aki basho, day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfj1xnM98No.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Harumafuji looks like a missile at times

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Masunoyama exciting as always. Battle Bulgaria was the match of the day.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Endo with his loose hair just looks so out of place in makuuchi.

:lol: at Aran trying to take out multiple bystanders in his match.

Guess Aoiyama gets to take over Gagamaru's role in the previous basho - looks dominant against the lower rankings, gets ranked too high, gets pushed around at the higher rankings.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 15, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Guess Aoiyama gets to take over Gagamaru's role in the previous basho - looks dominant against the lower rankings, gets ranked too high, gets pushed around at the higher rankings.

That's a strange way of spelling "Okinoumi".

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Feels good to have sumo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

evilwaldo posted:

Feels good to have sumo back.

Agreed. Harumafuji looking pretty strong first day, I just hope the steam doesn't run out.