Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
It's not jam, but I have three quart jars of stock in my pressure canner right now. I also have a couple pounds of nectarines that were $0.70/lb and 4 lbs of blueberries at $2.50/lb that are still waiting to be made. I've never been able to take advantage of such cheap fruit before. If I bought a lot, it just went bad or into the freezer, where it took up too much space and rarely got used. The nectarines are in a bag with a banana, because they need to ripen a bit, and I don't want to start the blueberry jam until the stock is done because the pressure process takes so goddamn long. I may water bath the blueberries just to avoid the pre- and post-processing wait times of getting up to pressure and coming back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This is probably going to sound sacrilegious given the OP but I've never heard of pressure canning jam or marmalade. In Australia anyway the only system of easy to come by jars that need boiling in water are fowlers vacola jars and that's because the seal doesn't form any other way. I did use it when I made a batch of lime marmalade a month ago because they where the only jars in the cupboard that I could get the sealing rings for easily. Later this week once my jars turn up in the post and my head chef gets in some seville oranges (cause they are impossible to find in shops anywhere) I'll be putting the time in to make a few different types of marmalade. Other than washing and sterilising the jars I won't be putting them through any further process because it tends to mess with the setting point a little too much for my liking.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Valdara posted:

It's not jam, but I have three quart jars of stock in my pressure canner right now.

I have a pressure canner but I've never used it for pressure canning. I lazy. I freeze stock in 16 and 32 oz portions in chinese takeout soup containers and 4oz portions in gladware for pan sauces. I use the pot to pressure cook stocks and as my water bath canner.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

DontAskKant posted:

Apples and lemon are commonly used, so sweet and acidic fruits are common. Cherries aren't used before because they are usually something like $25-30 a pound. They've just been on sale recently. The Japanese apricots are tiny and green and unripe with almost no sugar which is why you layer it in sugar. Now thinking about it, how did they do this before processed sugar? Or sugar in general, it's not a product that grows here.

Keep in mind that refined sugar is an old invention in Asia. Indian chemists first figured out how to refine sugar from the native sugarcane very early, and then Buddhist monks took sugar and the technology to make it with them as they spread Buddhism throughout Asia. Even if most of Korea can't grow it, they would have had access to it hundreds of years before the first Europeans and Arabs did. Honey was also available, although in most places, honey was widely considered more medicine than food. Although the nobles and royals which had access to it (along with meat and alcohol, generally forbidden by Buddhists in East Asia) likely were eating it as food under the guise of "It's totally for my medical condition:420:".

Also, most food in the old world was radically changed by the Columbian "exchange" (where the old world got corn, peanuts, chillies, tomatoes, potatoes, vanilla, chocolate, cassava and syphilis, and the old world got horses, glass beads and smallpox) so a lot of what we think of as "traditional" food in the old world is really only a few hundred years old. Italian cooking used to use a lot of fermented fish sauce, green peas and taro root.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Thanks now I need to see if Korea refined sugar and how common it was or if it was just a nobles thing. All these teas are definitely seen as medicine.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm 100% new to canning. I plan to follow a recipe fully but can I use different size jars than called for? For example, putting in 8 small jars instead of 4 medium jars. Does that affect processing time? (I will only be using a water bath canner for the moment)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dms666 posted:

Made some natural pickles using the method in one of Ruhlman's book using a bunch of zucchini, cucumbers, and squash I had extra of. Been a week sitting out around 60*, time to try them tomorrow.
Man, I have mixed feelings about Ruhlman. The fermented pickle recipe in Charcuterie seems to work fine, but the pickles themselves have come out merely so-so, and don't really seem to get much of the fermented tang you really want out of a lacto-fermented pickle.

After loving around with it in a bunch of different ways (my cucurbits are producing faster than I can pickle), I seem to be getting the best results by doing the fermentation in a plain salt water brine until I get the fermentation level I want, and then preparing whatever flavour brine I want before canning/storing them. I've been making mostly small batches as I experiment, so I've been storing the fermented pickles in brine in a cambro in the fridge. I assume this means they're taking flavour from the brine more slowly than they would if they were e.g. pressure canned and stored on the shelf, but they still seem to take the additional flavours just fine.

Throwing a couple leafy brassica leaves (I've been using bok choy) in the brine with the cukes seems to speed the fermentation some. I also want to say that reduces the amount of scum/sediment in the fermentation container, but that seems somewhat counterintuitive (if it is in fact speeding fermentation) so I'll have to get more data before I draw any conclusions.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm 100% new to canning. I plan to follow a recipe fully but can I use different size jars than called for? For example, putting in 8 small jars instead of 4 medium jars. Does that affect processing time? (I will only be using a water bath canner for the moment)

Usually processing pints you would use less time than processing quarts. For example, if you're pressure canning green beans, for pints and quarts you would use a minimum of 10 lb pressure, but pints are 20 minutes while quarts are 25.

If you're canning tomatoes or fruit like peaches, then again you need to adjust time based on the size jar you're using. Pints need 25 minutes in the water bath, quarts need 30.

The time a jar of food spends in the canner is based on how long it will take your stove designed for home cooking to kill all of the nasties that will cause botulism and kill you if you eat it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

SubG posted:

Man, I have mixed feelings about Ruhlman. The fermented pickle recipe in Charcuterie seems to work fine, but the pickles themselves have come out merely so-so, and don't really seem to get much of the fermented tang you really want out of a lacto-fermented pickle.

After loving around with it in a bunch of different ways (my cucurbits are producing faster than I can pickle), I seem to be getting the best results by doing the fermentation in a plain salt water brine until I get the fermentation level I want, and then preparing whatever flavour brine I want before canning/storing them. I've been making mostly small batches as I experiment, so I've been storing the fermented pickles in brine in a cambro in the fridge. I assume this means they're taking flavour from the brine more slowly than they would if they were e.g. pressure canned and stored on the shelf, but they still seem to take the additional flavours just fine.

Throwing a couple leafy brassica leaves (I've been using bok choy) in the brine with the cukes seems to speed the fermentation some. I also want to say that reduces the amount of scum/sediment in the fermentation container, but that seems somewhat counterintuitive (if it is in fact speeding fermentation) so I'll have to get more data before I draw any conclusions.

Yeah I wasn't very impressed by the ones I made, a little salty too. Let me know what you come up with that works the best.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Tried making some peach jam. I followed a recipe for 4 cups chopped peaches, 7.5 c sugar, 1/4 c lemon juice, and packet of liquid pectin. I boiled it all and ladled into jars and got this ...

Did I not chop the peaches finely enough? Are they supposed to rise to the top like that? I've never made jam before. I'm not entirely convinced it will be jam when I open it.

edit: Opened one of the jars this morning and it achieved a marmalade-like consistency. Will I die if I eat this stuff?

frenchnewwave fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 26, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I dot have a canning setup, but recently some pickling cucumbers, a lot of dill and fresh garlic came into my possession. I was thinking about following this recipe:http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/07/the-best-no-canning-skills-needed-homemade-pickle-recipe/
Any thoughts?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is there a way to make pickled daikon not smell like farts or is it a "deal with it" kind of thing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

frenchnewwave posted:

Tried making some peach jam. I followed a recipe for 4 cups chopped peaches, 7.5 c sugar, 1/4 c lemon juice, and packet of liquid pectin. I boiled it all and ladled into jars and got this ...

Did I not chop the peaches finely enough? Are they supposed to rise to the top like that? I've never made jam before. I'm not entirely convinced it will be jam when I open it.

edit: Opened one of the jars this morning and it achieved a marmalade-like consistency. Will I die if I eat this stuff?

That recipe sounds fine, pretty close to what I've used in other fruit jams. I had the same issue with some strawberry-rhubarb jam I made a couple months ago. I was told to let the jam sit on the stove for 15 minutes before canning to prevent the solids from separating. Also, the jam may not be completely set up, but if you said it's like marmalade then it sounds like it did set fine. Someone with a little more experience can probably help, but did you try mixing it up after you opened it? Keep it in the fridge now that it's opened, and you should be fine.

Edit: Did you put the liquid pectin in at the beginning and then boiled, or towards the end? When I've done jam with liquid pectin, I add it at the end, boil for about a minute and then I'm done. Powdered pectin in goes in at the beginning.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Toriori posted:

I dot have a canning setup, but recently some pickling cucumbers, a lot of dill and fresh garlic came into my possession. I was thinking about following this recipe:http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/07/the-best-no-canning-skills-needed-homemade-pickle-recipe/
Any thoughts?

That one falls into the category of "bad old recipes you shouldn't follow anymore" sorry. "Partial fermentation" is no longer recommended due to concerns about Listeria bacteria. Find a recipe that sounds appealing that tells you to stick the jars in the fridge, and keep them there, once they've cooled. There are plenty of them out there so find one that fits your sweet/spice/salt preference.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

MisterOblivious posted:

That one falls into the category of "bad old recipes you shouldn't follow anymore" sorry. "Partial fermentation" is no longer recommended due to concerns about Listeria bacteria. Find a recipe that sounds appealing that tells you to stick the jars in the fridge, and keep them there, once they've cooled. There are plenty of them out there so find one that fits your sweet/spice/salt preference.

Perfect, thanks. I was really nervous about the instructions because they didn't seem right, but I love pickles.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I love'm too and finally worked up the motivation to pickle the peppers in the fridge. Then I found red onions, beans and beets under the peppers so it turns out I'm only 1/4 done :effort:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
First foray into canning, ever. Made a jalapeņo peach jam...a bit spicier than I would have preferred but otherwise turned out pretty tasty :)

Also made some Cowboy Candy with the extra jalapeņos from my pepper plant. Guess I didn't pack them tight enough? The recipe said that the leftover syrup is pretty good as a glaze, so I canned some of that as well.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My first ever pickles!
Because I didn't use a canning method, how long are they good for?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Toriori posted:

Because I didn't use a canning method, how long are they good for?

Roughly 2 months is what I've noticed.

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
So I'm thinking of doing some zucchini pickles since cucumbers have been so miserable here this summer in northern Ohio. Do you think a cucumber brine would work ok with summer squash and zucchini or should I try to scour out a specific zucchini brine? The only one my pickle book has is for bread and butter style and I'd rather have a sour pickle personally. Alternatively, does anyone have a favorite pickle recipe for zukes? I'd like to hot water bath can a batch, otherwise I'd just eyeball a refrigerator recipe.

Edit: Poly- to me it looks like you don't have enough peppers in the jars considering how much empty syrup is under the floating peppers. When I canned last week I tried to get my beets and garlic just under where my head space needed to be, jammed them in tight, and I didn't have too big of a problem with floating.

Ashes_to_ashton fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 29, 2013

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I have about 6 lbs of sweet apples and a water bath canner. What's a good thing to make? If there's something I can make without peeling the apples that's even better, but not required.

Edit: I'm making the corn cob jelly on the first page and it calls for "regular" pectin. Is this liquid or powder?

frenchnewwave fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 31, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Powdered pectin.

I canned six quarts of chicken stock, today and the house turned into a suana. Once the jars were out of the pressure canner, I ran out in the rain to jump in the river.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Does anyone have a Bloody Mary mix that they recommend? I have seen some online, but would like to get a few ideas before I settle on my own.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I made the OP's corn cob jelly but with mixed results. Mine came out very light yellow. Not sure if I didn't boil the cobs long enough or because I used mostly white corn. I tasted today and it is very sweet like honey but a little watery. I'm still getting this canning thing down.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm trying to make pickled tomatoes (lacto fermentation pickling). My method was 1) pick green tomatoes. 2) cut tomatoes in half so they fit in the mason jar 3) pour saltwater into jar 4) close jar 5) wait

After a week they looked good, the brine was getting cloudy and there was a lot of carbon dioxide generated.

I opened the jar to see if there was any scum or mold growing. There wasn't, and upon opening the top the brine fizzed like a beer bottle. At that moment, I smelled something. It's not sulfur or rotting smell. In fact, it's not a smell I can really describe because I haven't smelled anything like it before. Should there be any smell at all?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

ScaerCroe posted:

Does anyone have a Bloody Mary mix that they recommend? I have seen some online, but would like to get a few ideas before I settle on my own.

The one from the Employees Only book is loving delicious.

Throw all this in the blender:
3c tomato juice
1/2 tb capers, crushed
3oz Worcestershire
2oz lemon juice
1oz olive brine
1/2 tsp celery salt
1tsp finely ground black pepper
1tsp Tabasco
4tb freshly grated horseradish

Refrigerate overnight.

5oz mix, 2oz vodka, 1/2oz lemon juice into a collins or a highball, add ice and shake lightly to blend. Garnish with a celery stalk, lemon wedge and some olives on a skewer.

Like pretty much all cocktails (and women), it's even better with gin.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 4, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm trying to make pickled tomatoes (lacto fermentation pickling). My method was 1) pick green tomatoes. 2) cut tomatoes in half so they fit in the mason jar 3) pour saltwater into jar 4) close jar 5) wait

After a week they looked good, the brine was getting cloudy and there was a lot of carbon dioxide generated.

I opened the jar to see if there was any scum or mold growing. There wasn't, and upon opening the top the brine fizzed like a beer bottle. At that moment, I smelled something. It's not sulfur or rotting smell. In fact, it's not a smell I can really describe because I haven't smelled anything like it before. Should there be any smell at all?

Okay, they're definitely bad. The smell is getting stronger and also they're turning brown. What did I do wrong? Not enough salt? Too much salt?

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

They are fermenting instead of pickling. Doesn't sound like you boiled the jars after packing, so your tomatoes started fermenting.

Compare this recipe for pickled tomatoes to this one of fermented tomatoes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lonely Virgil posted:

They are fermenting instead of pickling. Doesn't sound like you boiled the jars after packing, so your tomatoes started fermenting.

Compare this recipe for pickled tomatoes to this one of fermented tomatoes.

I meant for them to ferment, but as far as I know lacto fermentation shouldn't give an odor.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I meant for them to ferment, but as far as I know lacto fermentation shouldn't give an odor.

I don't know about tomatoes, but sauerkraut does have a yeasty, beer smell when it's first made and the fizziness is just a part of the fermentation of process. Use a fido canning jar, you can unlock the air-seal to hear if your tomatoes are still fizzy while it ferments, once you no longer hear a pop when you open the jar- your tomatoes can be stored without a air-tight lock. As long as the tomatoes don't smell like rot or become mushy from too much yeast growth, your tomatoes should be fine. Just store it in a cool place. But you need to tightly pack your jars until you can't cram anymore tomatoes in it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Lonely Virgil posted:

They are fermenting instead of pickling.
Fermenting is pickling.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lacto fermentation does produce an odour, but it isn't particularly strong---or at least I don't think so. Do you bake? I think it smells vaguely like active yeast, but a little more...musty? Once the pickling is well underway you'll start smelling the tang of the acid more than the yeasty smell.

In any case, your tomatoes shouldn't be turning brown. The colour will become a little more muted, but they shouldn't be brown or have spots or anything like that.

What concentration brine are you using?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SubG posted:

Fermenting is pickling.

Lacto fermentation does produce an odour, but it isn't particularly strong---or at least I don't think so. Do you bake? I think it smells vaguely like active yeast, but a little more...musty? Once the pickling is well underway you'll start smelling the tang of the acid more than the yeasty smell.

In any case, your tomatoes shouldn't be turning brown. The colour will become a little more muted, but they shouldn't be brown or have spots or anything like that.

What concentration brine are you using?

I used 1.5 tablespoons salt to 2 cups water.

e: they're shriveling and wrinkling right now

ee: Pics of how they look now

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 4, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I used 1.5 tablespoons salt to 2 cups water.

e: they're shriveling and wrinkling right now

ee: Pics of how they look now

That actually doesn't look as bad as I was thinking from your description. If they don't smell off, I'd just let 'em go for awhile. If they're going bad they'll go worse and then you'll know it. I mean it's your karma and you've got them right there and I'm just looking at a pic on the internet, but they don't look that scary from here.

I'd also use weight instead of volume for measuring out my brine. The proportions you gave are about a 5% brine if you're using table salt, a little less if you're using coarse, and 5% is about as low as you want to go (it's the number that Ruhlman uses, and most sources give a higher number). Also if you use metric the math is dead simple---50g of salt per litre.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Thanks for the advice. I used too much salt for my sauerkraut attempt and just ended up with old salty cabbage after 3 weeks.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I've never tried green tomatoes, but now I might have to. This recipe looks really tasty, and I have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine. Looks like it would be easy to halve the recipe too. I wouldn't want to make 4 quarts of tomatoes only to discover I really hate them. I could probably pawn them off on other people, though, like my friend's mom who loves fried green tomatoes..

Right now I'm making fridge pickles from my garden cucumbers. They weren't getting enough water for a while and turned out a bit starchy, so they weren't very good for eating fresh. I sliced them up, threw them in some brine with whatever spices looked good at the time, tons of garlic, and one jar has fresh serrano peppers from the garden. They are the best pickles now. :3:

I have more cucumbers on the vine and I might just pickle all of them.

Also recently attempted plum jam, with plums I snatched from the neighbor's tree. It hangs over our fence by a few feet, and I don't think anyone eats those plums anyway. It turned out good, but a little runny. A couple weeks ago I made balsamic fig jam and that turned out much better. It was a little harsh-tasting after cooking, but it really mellowed out after sitting overnight. Might have to make more when I get more jars, and a better pot for canning.

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
No pictures because I'm lame, but today I canned almost all day. Ended up putting up 11 pints of pepper jelly, 9 pints of peach jam, 8 pints of pickled cauliflower and 4 pints of pickled jalepeno. And goddamn are the jalepenos from the fruit stand hot this year, I ended up macing myself for a good half an hour while I simmered/jarred my 2 batches of jalepenos. Plus my pepper jelly is scorchingly hot now, at least you dump it on cream cheese and crackers to eat it!
Also, I cracked open a jar of pickled zucchini that I put up a week or so ago, I was worried they'd be super soft and mushy after hot water processing, but they are still a little crisp and very tasty! Huzzah!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Ashes_to_ashton posted:

No pictures because I'm lame, but today I canned almost all day. Ended up putting up 11 pints of pepper jelly, 9 pints of peach jam, 8 pints of pickled cauliflower and 4 pints of pickled jalepeno. And goddamn are the jalepenos from the fruit stand hot this year, I ended up macing myself for a good half an hour while I simmered/jarred my 2 batches of jalepenos. Plus my pepper jelly is scorchingly hot now, at least you dump it on cream cheese and crackers to eat it!
Also, I cracked open a jar of pickled zucchini that I put up a week or so ago, I was worried they'd be super soft and mushy after hot water processing, but they are still a little crisp and very tasty! Huzzah!

I'd love to see some pictures if you get a chance! Sounds like quite a collection.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

BrosephofArimathea posted:

The one from the Employees Only book is loving delicious.

Throw all this in the blender:
3c tomato juice
1/2 tb capers, crushed
3oz Worcestershire
2oz lemon juice
1oz olive brine
1/2 tsp celery salt
1tsp finely ground black pepper
1tsp Tabasco
4tb freshly grated horseradish

Refrigerate overnight.

5oz mix, 2oz vodka, 1/2oz lemon juice into a collins or a highball, add ice and shake lightly to blend. Garnish with a celery stalk, lemon wedge and some olives on a skewer.

Like pretty much all cocktails (and women), it's even better with gin.

Do you can this in a water bath, or is this refrigerator only?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

frenchnewwave posted:

I made the OP's corn cob jelly but with mixed results. Mine came out very light yellow. Not sure if I didn't boil the cobs long enough or because I used mostly white corn. I tasted today and it is very sweet like honey but a little watery. I'm still getting this canning thing down.

It's probably because you used white corn. I had really super yellow stuff and that will most definitely result in a different colored corn tea. The jelly will probably set up more firmly over time, so I wouldn't sweat it so much about the watery part. It's probably just a tad soft on the set.

Here is last weekend's canning cabal for me.

Left to right: tomatillo salsa, ancho salsa, table salsa, salsa verde, salsa roja, habanero salsa, cowboy candy, grape jelly, hot pepper mustard.

I still want to do tons of tomatoes, some Branston pickle and peach salsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Would you mind posting your tomatillo salsa recipe? I've been wanting to jar salsa for awhile but haven't found a safe recipe yet.