Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elotana posted:

Armin's going to come up with a plan to kill all the Titans and become their Speaker for the Dead

Then some talking pig-trees will show up and he'll start speechifying about gay marriage

hahahah yessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Marriage is between a human and another human. Any society that allows people to marry titan filth should be violently overthrown!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elotana posted:

Armin's going to come up with a plan to kill all the Titans and become their Speaker for the Dead

Then some talking pig-trees will show up and he'll start speechifying about gay marriage

It'll turn out that the Titans never knew people were individual thinking beings?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Soulcleaver posted:

Marriage is between a human and another human. Any society that allows people to marry titan filth should be violently overthrown!

Nope. Still waiting on that wedding.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I just realized, Bert's ceaseless sweating mirrors the ceaseless steaming of his titan form. Except he's managed to weaponize it. Flop sweat of mass destruction.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is there a translation on one of the reader sites up by now? I'd rather not stare at pages of black bars anymore, it's really testing my patience.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The only translation out right now is a crappy double-translation from an early leak of a Chinese magazine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Elotana posted:

The only translation out right now is a crappy double-translation from an early leak of a Chinese magazine.

Nitpicking, but I'm pretty certain it's an early leak of the Japanese magazine (as in, before it even hit shelves in Japan) that was then scanlated into Chinese without the raws being released.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

From the Tumblr Fanart Machine (spoiler tagged for those who haven't read 49):

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
not the best scan, but translation seems fine
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/49?id=174353

Erwin is one of the few characters with Eren's level of resolve. His tag team with Armin was great.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/49/2046/1

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Holy poo poo, Irvin is the greatest character. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And Armin is a close second.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Reiner and Annie are still my favorites ¦3

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012
I finally had my first Attack on Titan-related dream last night! It was wonderful... there was a movie, which was set in a sort of modern AU where Titans were rampaging through a city full of office buildings and cars and skyscrapers and the like. The 3D Gear in this version had gotten a "modern" upgrade-- it was a bit more... Metal Gear-looking, had a combat vest in lieu of the normal chest straps, and had a matte black finish all over. I might draw it. The plotline is unfortunately lost to the haze of memory, but I recall that the general gist was that a large amount of Titans had suddenly appeared in an urban area and the humans were attempting to eliminate them. It was pretty wicked.

Well, at least that was the first 2/3 of the movie. The last /3 inexplicably switched genres to become a family comedy, centered around a family of Titans, which was as bizarre and hilarious as it sounds. There was a Titan papa and a Titan mama and a chubby little Titan daughter, and they lived in these big huge caverns (which were somehow situated on an even larger Titan's head). Most of it was pretty par for the course for wacky lighthearted family comedies, barring the fact that it was, y'know, Titans. For instance there were a lot of scenes with food-related mishaps, except with screaming people as the food. :allears: Also they went to a theme park for Titans.

All of that was probably triggered by me reading the latest chapter yesterday, which was incredible. How could you not love Armin? He is a gloriously talented bullshitter. I sort of wonder if this is what's gonna cause Bertholdt to crack and make a big mistake, or if he's gonna go on a rage rampage and REALLY try to kill everybody.

LightningKnight fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 7, 2013

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

LightningKnight posted:

Well, at least that was the first 2/3 of the movie. The last /3 inexplicably switched genres to become a family comedy, centered around a family of Titans, which was as bizarre and hilarious as it sounds. There was a Titan papa and a Titan mama and a chubby little Titan daughter, and they lived in these big huge caverns (which were somehow situated on an even larger Titan's head). Most of it was pretty par for the course for wacky lighthearted family comedies, barring the fact that it was, y'know, Titans. For instance there were a lot of scenes with food-related mishaps, except with screaming people as the food. :allears: Also they went to a theme park for Titans.
I want to live in your mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
"HE'S THROWING TITANS AT US!"

Holy poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Am I the only one who got the mental image of titans breaking their teeth on Reiner's armor and just continuing to gum him until their teeth grew back?

Darth Walrus posted:

"HE'S THROWING TITANS AT US!"

Holy poo poo.

There were certainly a lot of Holy poo poo moments.

I think the best thing about Eren is that you know what he should do, and even hope that he'll actually do it. However at the same time you hope to god he ignores reason and just flips the gently caress out because Rage Titan is so entertaining.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What are the chances Erwin is a titan?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kild posted:

What are the chances Erwin is a titan?

We'll see if he regrows that arm.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

We'll see if he regrows that arm.

Better yet, the severed arm will grow another Irvin!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Titans were created when humanity attempted to genetically modify human beings with starfish DNA to accelerate regeneration and advanced healing, but it went horribly wrong.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Armin is definitely the MVP of this chapter.

Finding just the right words to throw your enemies off balance in the middle of a hellish battle (while, as a bonus, also confirming that Armored, Colossal and Female are comrades, which, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't 100% clear yet), he's a clutch player for the Recon Corps.

Armin's probably the one who benefited the most from his Trost experience. He's learned to perform under pressure, to put it mildly.

rvm fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 8, 2013

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
I hope nobody has brought up this tumblr post , which basically draws parallels between Annie and Armin. Apparently all the petite blondes in the series are scheming little geniuses. I found it interesting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rvm posted:

Finding just the right words to throw your enemies off balance in the middle of a hellish battle (while, as a bonus, also confirming that Armored, Colossal and Female are comrades, which, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't 100% clear yet), he's a clutch player for the Recon Corps.

Armin's probably the one who benefited the most from his Trost experience. He's learned to perform under pressure, to put it mildly.

I went back and looked at the chapter, and that smile from Armin just as he comes up with the "Annie plan" was amazing. Isayama likes to put big character developments in small panels as opposed to large splash pages (which he uses more for action sequences), and that smile from Armin is exactly one of those. Were this Armin at the start of the series, it'd be a shocked or "aha!" kind of reaction from Armin. Present Armin, on the other hand, immediately smiles upon coming up with the idea of using Annie as a ploy to stop Bert and Reiner. Sure, the smile was probably intended as more of a "I got it!" kind of reaction, but given how much Armin has grown over time, that smile says a lot about the cowardly little kid we first met long ago.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seriously Safe posted:

I hope nobody has brought up this tumblr post , which basically draws parallels between Annie and Armin. Apparently all the petite blondes in the series are scheming little geniuses. I found it interesting.

How is Christa a "scheming little genius"?

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Alright, some of them are.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Titans were created when humanity attempted to genetically modify human beings with starfish DNA to accelerate regeneration and advanced healing, but it went horribly wrong.
I'm kind of hoping for a non science-based explanation for the titans, as they seem to do decidedly unscientific things, like generate and lose huge amounts of mass out of thin air (nobody mention nanomachines, utility fogs, or hyperspace!).

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Say Nothing posted:

I'm kind of hoping for a non science-based explanation for the titans, as they seem to do decidedly unscientific things, like generate and lose huge amounts of mass out of thin air (nobody mention nanomachines, utility fogs, or hyperspace!).

Dude it's either going to be magic or science. Pick your poison.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

JosephWongKS posted:

You have to grow into these things. Look how far Armin came since Trost! Historia's just gotta find her legs a bit, then she'll be right up there with the others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FauxGateau posted:

Voting magiscience.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FauxGateau posted:

I choose Clarke's third law.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

FauxGateau posted:

I hope the mechanics of how titans bypass stuff like conservation of mass is left completely unexplained- no real attempt to explain how they work. Like the revelation is something like X created Titans to do Y. That's it. It's just some fictional super sciencemagic that requires a suspension of disbelief anyone who enjoys reading this kind of material would happily provide.

Armin is certainly developing as a character but remember that he used emotional blackmail to fight Annie twice. I think it's going to be interesting to see how far he's going to go. I hope Armin doesn't turn into some heartless monster, but it seems like that's the way he wants it to be.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 8, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You have to grow into these things. Look how far Armin came since Trost! Historia's just gotta find her legs a bit, then she'll be right up there with the others.

Admittedly, she's already got a knack for causing people to deify her. Now she just needs to find a way to use her worshippers to gain her power.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Say Nothing posted:

Gotta keep in mind those tidbits about titans being extremely warm and titan parts weighing almost nothing when they get a limb severed or whatever. Given those callouts the most likely explanation is that they have the same mass as a person but they're full of superheated air or some equivalent BS. OFC this still has logical issues but things are pointing in the direction of a pseudoscientific explanation, otherwise why bother having your characters talk about their universe's weird science?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
I can't help but wonder if Isayama plays tabletop RPGs. Armin is totally the guy who dumped his combat stats to be the face/brain of the party.

(Tabletop RPGs are actually a thing in Japan, albeit a niche thing like they are here).

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

rvm posted:

When I was reading that, I was thinking that making those two really pissed off if you're not planning on stopping them right then and there was a really bad idea. Then I realized that by giving them a location of where Annie is being held, the military now has a chance of setting up a trap for them, assuming Reiner and Bert buy it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mio Bison posted:

Gotta keep in mind those tidbits about titans being extremely warm and titan parts weighing almost nothing when they get a limb severed or whatever. Given those callouts the most likely explanation is that they have the same mass as a person but they're full of superheated air or some equivalent BS. OFC this still has logical issues but things are pointing in the direction of a pseudoscientific explanation, otherwise why bother having your characters talk about their universe's weird science?
I think I'd be okay with something related to converting solar energy into physical form, since they sorta seem that way and can't really do much for very long when out of sunlight. Didn't Eren only regenerate his teeth once he was in a room with sunlight coming through the window?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I think I'd be okay with something related to converting solar energy into physical form, since they sorta seem that way and can't really do much for very long when out of sunlight. Didn't Eren only regenerate his teeth once he was in a room with sunlight coming through the window?

The titans are actually plants; Attack on Titan is a sequel to The Happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Genocyber posted:

The titans are actually plants; Attack on Titan is a sequel to The Happening.

Marky mark is their messiah.