Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

a bad enough dude posted:

Oh wow, this looks pretty good. Anyone try it out? Worth the fight of installing a mod?

I would say definitely worth it. The only real problem I had was deciding which buildings to get because it isnt immediately obvious what some of them do. Also it is somewhat unfinished and the dude who originally made it is pretty much gone from the community. Still its fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is it true that there is a bug that makes the Medieval 2 AI hate you more for being merciful? If so would it explain nations like Portugal attacking me, as Scotland out of nowhere? If so, is there any way to fix this?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SkySteak posted:

Is it true that there is a bug that makes the Medieval 2 AI hate you more for being merciful? If so would it explain nations like Portugal attacking me, as Scotland out of nowhere? If so, is there any way to fix this?

I'm certain that isn't true - in fact, the best way to make the AI like you is to be consistently chivalrous post-battle, as it raises your honor rating. This honor rating is so important that at the very high levels, AI factions you're at war with will consistently fall all over themselves to give you cities in peace deals and will even agree to vassalage sometimes.

That said, it IS true that the AI is quite literally scripted to attack you after X turns (can't remember how many, 10 or 25 or something) of total peace on your end. Doesn't matter if you've a marriage alliance and are the most pious knight since Galahad or if you own all of Western Europe - if you haven't been at war with ANYONE for too long one of your neighbors (or just plain somebody if you don't have neighbors for some reason) is scripted to declare war on you no matter the circumstances.

So basically, if you want to avoid completely random declarations of war, always have a "pet war" going on the backburner - a Crusade target's a good choice for most.

(That said, the AI is pretty dumb sometimes about what it can take on and I'm almost entirely certain that the Italian and Polish AIs are scripted to stab you in the back whenever possible.)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

I'm pretty sure that Portugal attacking Scotland is hardcoded into the game or something because seriously gently caress portugal :argh:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If i want to play some good Medieval II mods do i need the Kingdoms expansion? I remember Broken Cresent as being one of the good mods, is it still good or are there other good mods out now? Not really into the fantasy settings of the LoTR or Warhammer mods.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 7, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yes, all of the biggest ones use Kingdoms.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
trying a coop campaign on my twitch channel http://twitch.tv/pyronicex

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Pyronic posted:

trying a coop campaign on my twitch channel http://twitch.tv/pyronicex

That Sparta player :allears:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

ughhhh posted:

If i want to play some good Medieval II mods do i need the Kingdoms expansion? I remember Broken Cresent as being one of the good mods, is it still good or are there other good mods out now? Not really into the fantasy settings of the LoTR or Warhammer mods.

Google 'stainless steel 6.1' and enjoy the best of TW. I really hope some inventive modders take a look at how battles function in SS and just copy that model somehow for Rome 2. It was not terrible and the computer was actually able to hold a line, would sometimes even try to flank, and would use mounted units pretty well.

The battles lasted a perfect amount of time to allow you to do your own flanking, but they wouldn't last so long that a well placed man or horse charge into an exposed side wouldn't rout the unit. Sieges were better too, and men would still break and reform at the unit center to continue fighting instead of running off the map despite the entire settlement being encircled.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

AShamefulDisplay posted:

That Sparta player :allears:

haha yeah he's been bugging me to play coop with him since the game came out and I thought he was going to be a little more experienced.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Pyronic posted:

haha yeah he's been bugging me to play coop with him since the game came out and I thought he was going to be a little more experienced.

Nah, it was fun. Past couple of days Ive been watching Volound and Cosmic Contrarian play legendary difficulty campaigns so its nice to watch a new player learning the game.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I'm putting down Rome 2 till it gets its poo poo sorted out. I've never really gotten into Shogun 2, I have all of the DLC and stuff (thanks steam sale and poor impulse control!), so I figure now's a good a time as any to do so.

What are the goonthoughts and recommendations for Shogun 2 mods? Not Darthmod, cause that's just vanilla+, I mean the mods that really overhaul things. Has anyone here played Shogun 2 Realism+? Or TRUE Samurai? I like the latter, largely because of the relaxed pacing, but the mod creator's huge hard-on for his idea of ~*realism*~ has led to some frustrating poo poo like rendering all Ashigaru to be near-useless while samurai will fight forever (and the AI can recruit them in droves). Are there any mods like True Samurai, ones that up the turn times and makes the game a slower (and much more field-battle) filled affair?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
More or less most of the stuff done by Radious.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I played with his stuff a bit, it seems really unbalanced in favor of the units he's made. :v:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

edit: total war thread not ROME II Total War thread.
My bad.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2013

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Edit: ^^^ Oh, god. I did the same thing.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 7, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

nutranurse posted:

I played with his stuff a bit, it seems really unbalanced in favor of the units he's made. :v:

Yeah i didn't like his massive unit mod pack much ether. Instead he offers every single part of his mods as seperate pack files on the TWCenter forums so you can mix and match the stuff to your hearts content.

I just grabbed everything but his additional unit mod (which i think is mostly just AUM+some other stuff), it turns shogun 2 into a fantastic game. Especially fall of the samurai.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Man, junsatsushi are pretty effective in Rise of the Samurai. I just send my guys into a clan's region and wait until I can flip the whole thing in one turn. Trying the nudge my faction ally to take land of his own is turning out to be next to impossible though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What's actually so good about Stainless Steel that makes it fantastic? I've heard tons of praise for it but not specifically why.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

SkySteak posted:

What's actually so good about Stainless Steel that makes it fantastic? I've heard tons of praise for it but not specifically why.

It rebalances unit stats so battles last the perfect amount of time for you to do that strategy thing you keep hearing about. Also changes music, and adds units to relevant factions and removes dumb ones, updates graphics and all that stuff without going overboard and changing the vanilla things that were done well and made the game good in the first place. Honestly it's like the perfect mod.

edit: yeah don't use any submods unles you specifically are interested in what they do

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 8, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's just a good mod with no real downsides. If you try it out, de-select "Byg's Grim Reality" in the installer or everything will become spergy unceasing pain.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's just a good mod with no real downsides.

except for ridiculously long turn tickovers and generally poor performance all over europe 'cause they decided to do something really weird to the trees?

I had a lot of fun in it as Khwarezmia though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
My old desktop with microwave-level hardware managed itself alright with SS. The mod comes with its own borderless windowed-mode launcher so I didn't find turn time to be a problem. I mean, is there ever a TW mod that doesn't have longer turn times?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Stainless Steel is a bit too vanilla for me I dunno. Although a good submod for it is the Steel Crescent mod that overhauls a lot of eastern units so that they dont look like generic poo poo anymore. The byzantines especially need it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress Barbarian Invasion can be frustrating sometimes. On one hand, I love the time period, and barely any mods cover it. On the other hand, I loving hate how the Emergent factions are all given super gold chevron troopers the moment they revolt. Playing as the Saxons is a pain in the rear end when the Romano British suddenly appear on your front door with a goddamn doomstack that you have absolutely no chance of defeating.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress Barbarian Invasion can be frustrating sometimes. On one hand, I love the time period, and barely any mods cover it. On the other hand, I loving hate how the Emergent factions are all given super gold chevron troopers the moment they revolt. Playing as the Saxons is a pain in the rear end when the Romano British suddenly appear on your front door with a goddamn doomstack that you have absolutely no chance of defeating.

I think that's the only one actually. It's meant to be a kick in the nuts for human players who want to conquer the Isles.

SkySteak posted:

The AI actually makes challenging armies with varied compositions. It tends to like artillery too much (one time i faced off a Moorish army composed of 9 trebuchets and some 4 balistas) but other than that it gives the AI a great unit roster due to recruitment restriction.

The problem with the long turns can be solved by never playing the game full screened. They literally point that out :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mans posted:

I think that's the only one actually. It's meant to be a kick in the nuts for human players who want to conquer the Isles.

The AI actually makes challenging armies with varied compositions. It tends to like artillery too much (one time i faced off a Moorish army composed of 9 trebuchets and some 4 balistas) but other than that it gives the AI a great unit roster due to recruitment restriction.

The problem with the long turns can be solved by never playing the game full screened. They literally point that out :v:

The artillery preference benefits them sometimes though. Today I was playing my Lithuania campaign and the artillery really put a hurt on my on a bridge battle against the HRE.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Realm divide just kills my enjoyment of Shogun 2 flat :( I enjoy myself all the way up to it and then boom, the game stops being fun.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Pretty much, at least they are learning from it, the realm divide mechanics were steadily improved for ROTS and even more so for FOTS. No sure how the civil war works in R2 yet but I doubt its worse than vannila S2.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
There's mods that soften or get rid of realm divide all together if it's stopping you from playing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Trujillo posted:

There's mods that soften or get rid of realm divide all together if it's stopping you from playing.

It hasn't, and I'm still going on to glory, it's just not as interesting as the splits in the expansions.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Pretty much, at least they are learning from it, the realm divide mechanics were steadily improved for ROTS and even more so for FOTS. No sure how the civil war works in R2 yet but I doubt its worse than vannila S2.

How is RD different in ROTS?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Baron Porkface posted:

How is RD different in ROTS?

FOTS has two different types of realm divide. One is where you pick a side and eventually when you gather enough favour with the Emperor/Shogun you get promoted to their 'official' clan. All the clans in that side loyally follow you from that point.

Then there is the option of declaring a Republic, which makes every clan your enemy.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's funny how the lead up to the Battle of Sekigahara would make the FOTS style realm divide more accurate for the base game as well.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

[Stainless Steel is] just a good mod with no real downsides. If you try it out, de-select "Byg's Grim Reality" in the installer or everything will become spergy unceasing pain.
There is one pretty serious problem with Stainless Steel, namely that Longbowmen can and will deploy stakes instantly wherever, even scrub brigand Longbowmen.

The first time this happens and one of your faction heir types basically drags themselves into the loving things repeatedly despite you attempting to sprint away Because Medieval 2: Total War will make you rage fairly hard.

Also, the Early Mode campaign is full of dull, generic spear units for about 50 turns, and generic archer units until between 100-200 turns depending on your faction pick. You don't get cool militia choices for ages. Additionally, cavalry tends to be largely lovely light cav everywhere until about 1300, other than the stuff you get from Castle upgrades. Like MTWVI, the Scandinavians have quite a good set of Viking units early on, though.

The one other really big problem is that Heretics are astoundingly hardy. Piety 7+ pretty regularly, and any non-Cardinal failed converters who turn will get hefty extra Piety for being Heretics. And unlike you, the AI can't savescum, so you can get a pretty huge wave of heresy sweeping across everything in the Medieval world.

Oh and they made the map a bit too big, as modders are wont to do.

Despite all this, it's still a decent mod.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I didn't see a Shogun 2 mod section in the OP. Any recommendations for the best/most polished Shogun 2 realism mod/overhaul? I'm looking for something that shakes up gameplay, gets rid of some of the more stupid units and such, but that doesn't necessarily crank up the difficulty to uber levels (since I'm a very average player).

I've been trying to sift through TWC threads, but you know... hosted on a potato, etc.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm playing with the DarthMod and while it doesn't really remove units per se, it changes a lot of the balance so things are a lot more fun. I had a blast with it and my ROTS playthrough has been hilarious. God I love destroying enemy factions by making all their provinces rise up so I can walk in and take them almost unmolested.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
OK, so I want a headcount here. Does anyone remember the Napoleon Total War mod for Rome TW? Slightly confusing I know as CA released their own version of the same. http://www.moddb.com/mods/napoleonic-total-war

It was multiplayer only, but was a pretty amazing game in its own right I thought. Incredibly tense and tactical, I remember the battles could sometimes be 2 hours long, with the first half a game of clever movement and skirmishing (jaeger 4 lyfe) before finally your painstaking plan came to fruition and your main line opens fire, decimating the enemy in a blaze of glory.

Would anyone be up for playing that mod? A steam group maybe?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there some sort of decent newbie guide/series to stainless steel? I have no idea what i am doing, and trying to browse TWCenter is painful as gently caress.

What is the difference between the Early and late era campaign, the installer doesn't say much. What is real recruitment? I am confused.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I've had Shogun 2 since release, and I go hot and cold on it; I much prefer the setting of Rome. But I just downloaded FotS, and holy poo poo is this campaign fun.

Nothing in a TW game has ever given me as much pleasure as dropping an artillery strike on a bunch of dudes holed up in their big dumb fort.