Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

As far as I recall, the main (or possibly only) difference between the two is that Very Hard kicks you back to the title screen when you die.

Welp, that's basically going back to the ps2 days then.

How's normal then? Is it too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Normal is extremely easy, yes.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I played my first run of P4G on Normal thinking it would be like my first run of the game years ago. Dead wrong.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

As far as I recall, the main (or possibly only) difference between the two is that Very Hard kicks you back to the title screen when you die.

It also cuts your gold and exp rate. So apart from making you level slower and making gear harder to afford, there's no added difficulty in going from Hard to Very Hard.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Woah. I got through Adachi's gungeon and I had no idea there was so much more added content. The bonus dungeon is pretty weird.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ManOfTheYear posted:

The bonus dungeon is pretty weird.

The bonus dungeon is just a friendly reminder from the team that worked on SMT: Strange Journey that they hate you.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Why does Yosuke's max s. link have a reference to Fight Club? I always thought it was a little weird to see that there.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Because other than honorifics Atlas USA fuckin' owns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oblomov posted:

I think this is very debatable. If anything, you wouldn't want to have Teddie and Yosuke at same time. Yukiko is a major damage dealer, especially in late game (once you have final persona, mind charge and that insane fire attack) and with appropriate gear/skill setup. Teddie never even comes close, he is more all around support with some healing/damage thrown in.

Edit: I am also curious how you can outstrip her damage with Teddie since its highest level fire attack that's also unavailable to anyone else and it's Mind Charged.... MC/Yosuke/Anyone else can throw an attack buff on top of that, sure, (and Rise will do that anyway for free half the tiem), but the damage scale itself is not comparable besides some of the higher level MC personas with specialized skills. Throw in right damage boost accessories and skills, and she can wipe out most non bosses by herself fairly easily. Not that you need that with proper MC persona setup, but if we are talking damage output, it's hard to beat Yukiko, and she has a giant SP pool as a bonus as well as highest level healing.

Unless you go to final evolutions, Teddie and Yukiko used to be the only 2 party members that can never lose their weakness and having 2 weaknesses in an endgame party could have been a liability.

Teddie can't outdamage Yukiko later on, but early on both of them are sort of Healer/Nuker with some support. As the game goes on Yukiko becomes better at damage and Teddie becomes better at support.

But yeah as a lot of people have said P4Golden sort of made every team member grossly overpowered, so you can use whoever you want and you'll be alright. If you have 2 of these on the same team:

Chie Yukiko
Kanji Naoto
Yosuke Teddie

They have a chance of doing an extra attack after an All Out Attack but it's nothing significant to base a team around.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Vindicator posted:

My go-to party is Yosuke, Yukiko and Teddie, with my character either using Odin or Thor for lightning weaknesses. All three party buffs, Yukiko for healing and murder by fire, every elemental weakness covered. The downside is no-one's copping a chair across the face.

I used Kanji in my first playthrough but it bothered me that I had to sacrifice Yukiko's damage output every two turns or so to heal him up. At least with all spellcasting party members everyone can just SP-dump unless something goes wrong.

Naoto is of course still useless :P

Kanji hits so goddamned hard though that he's worth it. And if you're bringing him, you gotta be a bro and bring Naoto too. :colbert:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Somebody in this thread said that you shouldn't use Yukiko and Teddie at the same time because they are so similiar, but to me having both of them leaves a lot of wiggle room: having more than one healer can be good if a boss battle keeps going on for too long and sp becomes an issue and I haven't had a problem with dealing enough damage because of two potential healers.

Also why Naoto is useless? I never used him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Naoto's a lot better than in the original, because now access to all six elements is possible, and the Persona has no weaknesses. The flipside is that there isn't really a skill to hit multiple opponents except for physical attacks, which you have better characters for (Chie, Yukiko, even Yosuke).

Probably the most improved character from the PS2 version, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have never, ever run out of SP in a boss fight with Yukiko. Yukiko swims in SP. There's no need to guardband against her running out by utilizing two healers.

Naoto is somewhat difficult to use in boss fights because she only really gets one good move (Bufudyne) that you still have to go way out of your way to beef up with the Ice boosting gun and obviously an Ice boosting accessory. You'd think that Megidolaon would be what you'd use, but it just doesn't hit hard enough even with Mind Charge to offset the SP requirements. All of this is because Naoto's main strengths are her Light/Dark instant kill skills, which are great for mopping up mobs but obviously not useful in boss fights.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 4, 2013

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ApplesandOranges posted:

Naoto's a lot better than in the original, because now access to all six elements is possible, and the Persona has no weaknesses. The flipside is that there isn't really a skill to hit multiple opponents except for physical attacks, which you have better characters for (Chie, Yukiko, even Yosuke).

Mahamaon and Mamudoon. :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ManOfTheYear posted:

Somebody in this thread said that you shouldn't use Yukiko and Teddie at the same time because they are so similiar, but to me having both of them leaves a lot of wiggle room: having more than one healer can be good if a boss battle keeps going on for too long and sp becomes an issue and I haven't had a problem with dealing enough damage because of two potential healers.

Naoto is very good at clearing out trash mobs because of instant kill and almighty skills. At the same time, that is a weakness, because it leaves the character with very little utility in boss fights due to a rather limited SP pool. Access to cheaper elemental skills helps, but that's only enough to prevent Naoto from being a liability.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

But then you get Shield of Justice, and Naoto rockets to the top of the heap for boss fights.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Really Pants posted:

But then you get Shield of Justice, and Naoto rockets to the top of the heap for boss fights.

Honestly, that skill seems pretty useless! You're better off just tanking the damage and healing when necessary.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

You also get that at the very end of the game. It's only really useful for one dungeon (since you'd be daft to waste her SP with it in the February one).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, that skill seems pretty useless! You're better off just tanking the damage and healing when necessary.

Turns you don't need to spend on healing are turns you can spend on Burning Petals.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, but all those turns spent using burning petals could have been saved with a single hassou tobi. Basically it's pointless to argue the efficacy of battle strategies as long as that attack exists.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Shield of Justice trivializes the true last boss.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My party was Yukiko, Teddie and Naoto.

Naoto's mahamaon and two healers made grinding and bosses a breeze. I can't remember a fight I had a hard time with in the second half until the bonus dungeon and the last couple bosses. Even the final final boss was nothing, but at the point I had a max leveled Lucifer, so...

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Any tips on grinding? The last boss is kicking my rear end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ManOfTheYear posted:

Any tips on grinding? The last boss is kicking my rear end.
Kill golden hands in Magatsu Inaba.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Kill golden hands in Magatsu Inaba.

Is there any specific way or place to find them or is it just luck to see them?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 5, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forget; if you don't max out all of the social links you want to in a single playthrough, is that okay? Are you suppose to be able to do it if you plan your days very carefully? I feel like you actually can't, and I don't remember if you can only do it or not on NG+ on the PS2 version.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You can do it with a guide on the PS2 version but you'll have to clear dungeons in one go and reset for stat increases on rainy days, I think.

Not sure about Golden.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can definitely max out all of the S. Links on your first playthrough. There are guides to do so on both the PS2 and Vita versions. For my own part I was able to just barely max all of the Links without a guide (though I had knowledge from the PS2 version) on my first run through P4G. E: You should not actually attempt this, it just happened to work out that way in my case.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is there any specific way or place to find them or is it just luck to see them?
Just luck, I guess. They're not that rare to be honest. What level are you now?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 5, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Probably too late for me to do it then. Ooh well i'm not gonna stress it. I know what all of the endings are so it doesn't matter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I said come in! posted:

Probably too late for me to do it then. Ooh well i'm not gonna stress it. I know what all of the endings are so it doesn't matter.

That's the right way to look at it, anyways. While it's certainly possible to do, it requires pretty strict planning, if not necessarily as strict as it used to be.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Just luck, I guess. They're not that rare to be honest. What level are you now?
I did some regular grinding and that was that. True last boss defeated and game cleared.

What a great game. Gameplay is great, presentation is excellent, soundtrack is excellent, writing is better than the last game. One of the reasons why I like this game so much is that every character in it is just nice. Everybody is friendly and cheerful, everybody always thinks about inviting everybody in whatever they are doing, everybody is nice towards Nanako.. Very few games are like that and it just is so drat pleasent to be in Inaba.

More games should have that attitude.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

King of Solomon posted:

That's the right way to look at it, anyways. While it's certainly possible to do, it requires pretty strict planning, if not necessarily as strict as it used to be.

Yeah, I was only able to do it in New Game+ after I maxed all my social stats.

Only trophies I need now are the 100 cards registered and the stupid Risette's Line one. Ugh.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
About to start 7/31 or 8/1 and wanted to make sure I'm where I need to be.

- MC is at lv. 37. Haven't fought a battle since I rescued ----Rise---- earlier in the month, but I can't even go into the tv now that I'm hunting info on the weird kid who asked Yukiko out about 20 hours ago who's now showed up in the tv. Is my level okay? I feel like I'm overlevelled, but it's been hours since I fought something.

- My slinks are (estimated): Chie 8, Fox 4, Dojimas 5-6 (need more expression to continue, trying to translate enough to get there), Kanji 4, Yukiko 4, Teddie 4, Yosuke 3 (meh), Kou and Yumi probably around 3-4. Adachi's at around 4-5. Just made Marie say fsteak, so, 1? what should I work on, is there a way to raise Expression faster and is there a way to see what level everybody's at besides trying to remember when they level up?

- I'm about $12,000 from being able to fuse Black Frost, but what skills should it have?

Thanks. About 25 hours in, and this game is probably my GOTY. Enjoying it immensely, just worried I'm missing something obvious heading into August.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So finally getting into this after getting a pricedropped bundle, but one thing I'm not sure about... is that bonus dungeon I keep hearing about only available if you romance Marie? I keep hearing conflicting info on this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soul Glo posted:

- MC is at lv. 37. Haven't fought a battle since I rescued ----Rise---- earlier in the month, but I can't even go into the tv now that I'm hunting info on the weird kid who asked Yukiko out about 20 hours ago who's now showed up in the tv. Is my level okay? I feel like I'm overlevelled, but it's been hours since I fought something.

- My slinks are (estimated): Chie 8, Fox 4, Dojimas 5-6 (need more expression to continue, trying to translate enough to get there), Kanji 4, Yukiko 4, Teddie 4, Yosuke 3 (meh), Kou and Yumi probably around 3-4. Adachi's at around 4-5. Just made Marie say fsteak, so, 1? what should I work on, is there a way to raise Expression faster and is there a way to see what level everybody's at besides trying to remember when they level up?

- I'm about $12,000 from being able to fuse Black Frost, but what skills should it have?

Thanks. About 25 hours in, and this game is probably my GOTY. Enjoying it immensely, just worried I'm missing something obvious heading into August.

If you can fuse Black Frost before the next boss, you'll be fine. You might be a little overlevel, but that just happens in Golden. Just make sure to get Adachi to 6 before November and max Marie before the end of December and you should be good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

- MC is at lv. 37...Is my level okay? I feel like I'm overlevelled, but it's been hours since I fought something.

Black Frost is 37 or 38, so you're fine.

quote:

There's an "S.Link" screen in the pause menu that shows all your ranks.

Other ways to raise Expression:
--Going to drama club.
--Washing dishes at Shiroku Pub and talking to the outgoing young man.
--Giving the right answers to the other kids when they ask for help in class.
--Playing with the cat just outside the Dojima residence. This also raises Understanding every so often.
--Tutoring, once you've maxed Understanding.
--Putting a full set of model robots, scooters, or Persona dolls on your shelf will take a while, but raises all five social stats.

As for other stuff: get Jester to 6 before November 1, and complete Aeon before you clear the December dungeon.

quote:

You'll need Auto-Sukukaja for the Empress Social Link--grind Anzu to 20, and fuse it with Apsaras to get Jack Frost.

quote:

Don't worry about seeing everything on your first playthrough. You have enough time to max out your stats and all the "main" Social Links: your teammates, Justice, Heirophant, Jester, and Aeon.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So finally getting into this after getting a pricedropped bundle, but one thing I'm not sure about... is that bonus dungeon I keep hearing about only available if you romance Marie? I keep hearing conflicting info on this.

No, you just need to max her link.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 8, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

No, you just need to max her link.
You also need to answer a few Margaret questions in January a certain way. The answers should be pretty obvious but some people in this thread picked the wrong ones. I can't remember the exact wording, but she'll say that it will be "dangerous" and yet do you still want to search for that person? Of course you should say "yes".

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Cool thanks for the advice. Must have completely forgot about the S. Links option in the pause menu.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got to the video game dungeon last night. The place looks so cool but some of those floors are a pain. I like all of the references though to older video games. Plus the boss that would later become a 3D Dot Game Hero character. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you don't have Power Charge yet rank up Kanji until you do.

• Locked thread