Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Guru Yaekob posted:

I worked on the assembly line for that car and in the repair hole. Don't be surprised if this car falls apart like every other Chrysler. I'm still in contact with my friends on the assembly line and they are constantly being sent home early because to many cars are going into repair from workers not doing their jobs correctly. They hired a 3rd shift to produce this car and people got little to no training on how to do their jobs correctly. But hey there is a 1 in 3 chance I put the doors on your car.

Few things I like
- This thing feels like a race car when steering its so tight and responsive.
- For what it is the exhaust sounds niceee especially on the R/Ts
- The leather models are EXTREMELY comfortable
- I cant remember if it is all models but the passenger seat lifts up from where it meets the backrest to unveil a secret compartment

Few things I hate
- Shoddy build quality using cheap as hell parts because good suppliers couldn't keep up with demand, I've literally had trunk release cables not threaded through the correct bracket and they let it roll off the line that way because it will cost more for them to send it to repair.
- Sides of car are bland as hell
- I've crashed 3 of them, expect to die in anything over 15 mph.
- poo poo like this was done constantly

Well don't I feel so great about my purchase now. Oh well, glad I have a 5 year/100k warranty. I will say, after a week, and 400 miles, I enjoy it enough. Hopefully, since I JUST bought it, they worked out most of the issues. But, what are you going to do? I bought a cheap commuter car, that looks decent. I can't expect top level quality and such.

Also, what was so bad about the crashes? I saw it was a top IIHS pick, and mostly 5 star crash ratings. What was your experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

When Dodge said they wanted the Italian roots of the Dart to be evident, I don't think that wanted them to this extent.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

MidasAg posted:

Well don't I feel so great about my purchase now. Oh well, glad I have a 5 year/100k warranty. I will say, after a week, and 400 miles, I enjoy it enough. Hopefully, since I JUST bought it, they worked out most of the issues. But, what are you going to do? I bought a cheap commuter car, that looks decent. I can't expect top level quality and such.

Also, what was so bad about the crashes? I saw it was a top IIHS pick, and mostly 5 star crash ratings. What was your experience?

Well I used to work in repair so you drive cars and sometimes you have no idea whats wrong with them while your taking them to a station. One time I got in the car pressed the breaks to make sure there was pressure which you always do, and then started it up put it in drive and was just gonna let the transmission do its thing without touch the gas to go to the station welp I went to touch the breaks and guess what there were no breaks anymore I rolled into a toolbox and the car crumpled up like a tin can.

I'm not trying to poo poo on your parade at all, I like the car a lot and I'm sure every plant has these issues, but knowing the things that went on in that plant I would be terrified to own one. Ignorance is bliss.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got bored at an auction and bought a 200, 000km 1999 bmw 540i for a grand. Where do I plumb the nitrous into

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

MrChips posted:

When Dodge said they wanted the Italian roots of the Dart to be evident, I don't think that wanted them to this extent.

That is funny. But I think its more of the German roots of MB fighting off the Italian. Or some poo poo like that.

Guru Yaekob posted:

Well I used to work in repair so you drive cars and sometimes you have no idea whats wrong with them while your taking them to a station. One time I got in the car pressed the breaks to make sure there was pressure which you always do, and then started it up put it in drive and was just gonna let the transmission do its thing without touch the gas to go to the station welp I went to touch the breaks and guess what there were no breaks anymore I rolled into a toolbox and the car crumpled up like a tin can.

I'm not trying to poo poo on your parade at all, I like the car a lot and I'm sure every plant has these issues, but knowing the things that went on in that plant I would be terrified to own one. Ignorance is bliss.

Don't worry, I got my umbrella.

I think that applies to almost anything though. It's like learning how food is made, or how hospitals are cleaned. Ignorance is bliss. Don't forget, its a mass produced thing. It's going to have some defects. As for crashes, it's still probably going to survive better than my old Geo Tracker would have, or a bicycle. And I do like the car a lot. The only grip I have is that the seat is too high. I wish it was about 2" lower. I might have to look into ways to accomplish this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I got bored at an auction and bought a 200, 000km 1999 bmw 540i for a grand. Where do I plumb the nitrous into

You missed the golden sale opportunity that is high school grad gift season, but there's still hope to turn this one around.

Plumb the car directly into Kijiji, look for someone wearing gold chains and ending sentences with "cuzin."

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

MidasAg posted:

That is funny. But I think its more of the German roots of MB fighting off the Italian. Or some poo poo like that.

Don't worry, I got my umbrella.

I think that applies to almost anything though. It's like learning how food is made, or how hospitals are cleaned. Ignorance is bliss. Don't forget, its a mass produced thing. It's going to have some defects. As for crashes, it's still probably going to survive better than my old Geo Tracker would have, or a bicycle. And I do like the car a lot. The only grip I have is that the seat is too high. I wish it was about 2" lower. I might have to look into ways to accomplish this.

I'm 6' 3" and the only way I found to get around the height of the seat is to lean the back rest further back. I think the higher end models it goes down lower but yeah on some models I had to adjust the back rest to fit comfortably.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Guru Yaekob posted:

I'm 6' 3" and the only way I found to get around the height of the seat is to lean the back rest further back. I think the higher end models it goes down lower but yeah on some models I had to adjust the back rest to fit comfortably.

I'm 6'1", mostly upper body, with short legs. I have the seat all the way back, and the seat reclined a bit. My ear is about even with the B-pillars. Oh well. Not a lot of cars are built for us bigger people. Hell, I even have a hard time getting comfortable in most trucks.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Guru Yaekob posted:

I rolled into a toolbox and the car crumpled up like a tin can.
The way cars get good crash test ratings is that the front end crumples to absorb the impact, and the passenger compartment is stiff so the passengers don't get mashed up against the firewall. What the tests mainly look for is deformation of the passenger compartment - lots of deformation, bad score; little deformation, good score. They don't pay attention to deformation of the front end, they expect it to be completely trashed. A side effect of the crash protection in front is that the tiniest fender bender may cost a few thousand dollars to fix.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Hi there buddy. Long time no see. Yeah, I know. I really don't deserve you.

All prettied up. :unsmith: Time to get you back to the cave. :smith:

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda, 340 and 727 original. Got it 9 years ago, hasn't passed inspection in 5 years. Not enough time and money to fix things, so every year I take it out, drive it over to my dads, we clean it up and the I drive it back to where I keep it locked up and hope I'll have time for it next year. :sigh:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Samu posted:

Is that the Black Express special edition? I absolutely love those tucks and was really tempted to get one. Couldn't live with an automatic though.

Yes, it's the Black Express special edition. It really turns heads and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Dealers in my area could only find them out of state and wanted too much so I found one 300 miles away in Marietta and dealt with them directly. It already had 3.92 gears in it and everything else we were looking for, so we're very happy with it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Nidhg00670000 posted:

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda, 340 and 727 original. Got it 9 years ago, hasn't passed inspection in 5 years. Not enough time and money to fix things, so every year I take it out, drive it over to my dads, we clean it up and the I drive it back to where I keep it locked up and hope I'll have time for it next year. :sigh:
Oh sweet Jesus yes. :shlick: I hope you can get it on the road at some point, she is begging to be driven.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Every Fiat has had that for as long as I remember. I know it took like 6 months for me to discover it on my Panda, and only because it got in the way of my underseat subwoofer :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What will it take to get it past inspection? I will start a Kickstarter right now!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
That thing deserves to be on the road. In all seriousness I'd probably throw a few quid at a kickstarter.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I think you need to be developing an actual product you're going to sell in order to do something on Kickstarter. What you're looking for is a paypal address to donate money.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

drgitlin posted:

I think you need to be developing an actual product you're going to sell in order to do something on Kickstarter.

Maybe he can throw a calendar together. Have any jorts? :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Wiring looks like someone paid a hobo in booze to do it, the rear needs a complete overhaul (and different gearing, 4.56 is quite annoying as soon as you're not on a quarter mile strip), the prop shaft needs new u-joints, the 727 is leaking from the rear seal and I have no idea what type of oil is in there (PO gave me a big box of fluids and poo poo when I got it, and it contained among all the other stuff bottles of two different brands of ATF, with the same colour and taste). I've had the engine out once, since the PO seems to have halfassed it when he "fixed the engine". After I put it back in I discovered I halfassed it myself (should've retapped everything), I put the water pump back on when the engine was in the car and two holes are stripped so the water pump leaks at a steady drip.

Rust. The car's got the original vinyl roof, and it is rusted all over below it. Hole in the roof above the windshield on the drivers side. Plenty of rust bubbles large and small all over the A and C-pillars and down around the rear window. Rockers are rusted on both sides, and there is a lot of filler in lots of places.

I got a new Edelbrock Performer carb and the factory setting as lean as hell, and the guy I spoke with to get it on rollers (understandably) doesn't want a car that leaks various fluids on his rollers.

So after this vomited mess of problems, all that really needs to be done to pass a swedish inspection is to get the fueling/timing right to pass a sniffer test, and fix the rockers. The roof rust is getting pretty serious though, so last month I started taking out the interior of the car so a guy I know (who's never got time to follow through on his promises, but nevermind) can start fixing the roof. Headliner and vinyl roof is next to go, but a lack of time and workspace is killing my motivation.

In short, it's time to kick rear end and wear jorts, and I'm all out of jorts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It must be strange to see a beast like that rolling along Swedish roads.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not as weird as you'd think, Sweden is big into old American iron.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

Friar Zucchini posted:

The way cars get good crash test ratings is that the front end crumples to absorb the impact, and the passenger compartment is stiff so the passengers don't get mashed up against the firewall. What the tests mainly look for is deformation of the passenger compartment - lots of deformation, bad score; little deformation, good score. They don't pay attention to deformation of the front end, they expect it to be completely trashed. A side effect of the crash protection in front is that the tiniest fender bender may cost a few thousand dollars to fix.

Exactly. NHTSA crash safety ratings look pretty drat good (unless five stars in everything but one category is standard these days): http://www.cars.com/dodge/dart/2013/safety-ratings

That parking brake recall looks like fun times though...

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Riller posted:

Yes, it's the Black Express special edition. It really turns heads and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Dealers in my area could only find them out of state and wanted too much so I found one 300 miles away in Marietta and dealt with them directly. It already had 3.92 gears in it and everything else we were looking for, so we're very happy with it.

Best looking truck on the road right now in my opinion. I really like the blacked out everything and how they took off the side decals.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sockington posted:

Maybe he can throw a calendar together. Have any jorts? :v:

Now you're talking! :D

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Thread namesake :chord:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not a fan of your body mods.

And now I'll politely gently caress off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah, is that side skirt made for your specific car? Looks totally different than the rest of the car.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Yeah it's all made for the car. I get mixed reactions. They're actually authentic compared to the knockoffs. I just liked the way it looked on my neighbor's yard :coolfish:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
It won't stop raining for more than a couple of hours so no wash but it back together now.

Bring the hate, I don't care because RACECAR

The new splitter is huge, the old APR one was a floppy joke anyway but :drat: No more driving places that I don't know or that will be toast in no time.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

Why is your side skirt a completely different shade of white?

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 9, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why is your side skirt a completely different shade of white?

I don't see it. maybe a bad photo. Honda used OEM paint :(

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It's probably just the lighting. Or the different material compared to the body panels.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

AdmiralViscen posted:

It's probably just the lighting. Or the different material compared to the body panels.

Yeah they have a different profile than the side of the car so it looks like the light to me. Who cares though, it's a street daily driver :).

anproxx
Aug 30, 2013

Holdbrooks posted:

It won't stop raining for more than a couple of hours so no wash but it back together now.

Bring the hate, I don't care because RACECAR

The new splitter is huge, the old APR one was a floppy joke anyway but :drat: No more driving places that I don't know or that will be toast in no time.

What are your numbers?

Also, what size are your tiny looking wheels?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Paul Boz_ posted:

Nice rice burner there jerkface, you seem to have forgotten your Mugen and HKS stickers however :smug:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Paul Boz_ posted:

I don't see it. maybe a bad photo. Honda used OEM paint :(

The vehicle is old, the skirt is new. Faded paint on car, new paint on the skirt. :eng101:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

The vehicle is old, the skirt is new. Faded paint on car, new paint on the skirt. :eng101:

It's an'07, it's not that old. Not important though, don't want to cause a derail.

vvvv it's the lighting of the shot though, otherwise it looks identical in person. I seriously don't want to cause a derail based on a single photo and it's not worth taking more for the sake of a derail :).

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 10, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

6 years is plenty of time to fade paint compared to factory fresh; even if it isn't noticable because it's all even, it'll stand out next to fresh paint.

Why do you think body shops charge so much for color matching, even when factory paint is available?

E: UV radiation is a bitch.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fucknag posted:

6 years is plenty of time to fade paint compared to factory fresh; even if it isn't noticable because it's all even, it'll stand out next to fresh paint.

Why do you think body shops charge so much for color matching, even when factory paint is available?

E: UV radiation is a bitch.

Trust me man, why do you think I have such a great neck-up tan? I want to get the license plate MLNOMA but it's tasteless because I work for a large healthcare company :lol:

vvvvvvvv I'm not butthurt. I said I get mixed reactions and asked to avoid a derail (for everyone else's sake) after a derail started. We can keep talking about my car if you fancy.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 10, 2013

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Please don't troll sensitive forums user, Paul Boz_.

Holdbrooks your car is neat but you should paint all the carbon. How much weight does the bonnet save you??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Sockington posted:

Chrysler is just trying to make their cars more engaging for the customers. Will I make it to work today? :iiam:

No more simple Point-A to Point-B!

I have a 2011 300 and I can say that compared to the previous model it is amazing. All of my friends, even those not into cars are shocked at how good the new 300 is. I am personally wanting to trade in for a sportier car but if someone is looking for a good cruiser that's great looking it is hard to beat.