Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Leperflesh you are the man. I glued all these rivets onto my rhino and the super glue pooled around them by accident. I was going to have to spend a day sanding to fix it. UN-CURE seems like a magic solution to my problem.

Are you gluing plastic to plastic using superglue? You should probably be using a plastic glue for that: I recommend Testor's Model Master Liquid Cement For Plastic Models.

The tiny thin needle applicator lets you apply super-small dabs of glue exactly where you want them. It's very fluid, so not a gap-filler, but excellent for gluing two flat or flush surfaces together, or a ball into a socket, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That stuff has become some of my favorite stuff in the world.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Akay posted:

I finally got a yellow I'm happy with! Yay!

How'd you do it?

Leperflesh posted:

Are you gluing plastic to plastic using superglue? You should probably be using a plastic glue for that: I recommend Testor's Model Master Liquid Cement For Plastic Models.

The tiny thin needle applicator lets you apply super-small dabs of glue exactly where you want them. It's very fluid, so not a gap-filler, but excellent for gluing two flat or flush surfaces together, or a ball into a socket, that kind of thing.

Careful using applicators besides this needle precision one. My fat fingers pressed finger prints into my first Rhino when I used the GW plastic glue.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Bavius posted:

How'd you do it?

Prime White, Then Airbrush one coat Vallejo Game Color Squid Pink
Then airbrush one coat GW/Citadel Yriel Yellow.

Though it works fine with a regular brush too, as long as you get an even coat.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Can anyone recommend some starter sculpting tools? I don't know enough about sculpting to know if I should spring for something more expensive or if I should just buy whatever. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, but I'd like to have actual tools for working with green stuff. Bonus points for Prime eligible tools on Amazon.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Karnegal posted:

Can anyone recommend some starter sculpting tools? I don't know enough about sculpting to know if I should spring for something more expensive or if I should just buy whatever. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, but I'd like to have actual tools for working with green stuff. Bonus points for Prime eligible tools on Amazon.

These should do: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scupley%20tools

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks! I might pick it up and to replace my testors. I prefer super glue vs the plastic stuff because it doesn't melt the pieces together, but super precision would be really helpful.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Akay posted:

Prime White, Then Airbrush one coat Vallejo Game Color Squid Pink
Then airbrush one coat GW/Citadel Yriel Yellow.

Though it works fine with a regular brush too, as long as you get an even coat.

Yellow over pink eh? I'm intrigued and will have to try this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What are the wires for? I've always assumed to clear out the applicator tube, but by the time it gets clogged they're useless.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just use a lighter to clear out any clogs. Micro-flamethrower!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Leperflesh posted:

The low viscosity of this glue also means that the annoying long streamers of the orange tubes are almost totally absent.

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Yellow over pink eh? I'm intrigued and will have to try this.

I was skeptical at first but after trying it gives a very warm yellow after only 2 coats, so I can't knock it!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Hermetic posted:

Thanks! It makes it a hell of a lot easier to set my finished guardians aside when they're on bases.

Yeah, any of the Eldar plastic infantry models will do just fine glued to the base. Just means you have to be slightly more careful when applying glue to your base, but it's not a big deal.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Fearless posted:

No poo poo. That's where I live. I got a can from Michael's a week ago, and if they don't have it Elm City Hobbies should-- that place is on the Hanwell Road.

You're a lifesaver man, thanks. I'll take a rip out there this evening and have a look.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
If the tube gets so clogged that a wire doesn't clear it, cut 1/8" from the end of the tube.

Otherwise, poke a wire in there. Paperclips work fine. In general, clearing a clog sometimes means that the nub of dried plastic drifts back into the applicator tube.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
Any advice for getting this kind of weathered/dusty look on miniatures?

I'm working on making a set of Cadians with this same color scheme and I love the look of them, but mine just seem a little squeaky clean in comparison. I've seen a lot of tutorials for weathering vehicles but not so much for smaller models.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Light drybrushing/stipling. It's funny because a lot of people give new painters advice like "drybrush everything to make highlights" and it just ends up with the minis looking like they just got out of a sandstorm.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fox of Stone posted:

Light drybrushing/stipling. It's funny because a lot of people give new painters advice like "drybrush everything to make highlights" and it just ends up with the minis looking like they just got out of a sandstorm.

I haven't seen much discussion of stippling on minis -- would I just want to get a highlight or rust color and stipple that where I wanted weathering to appear?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Cross posting, Whipped out E Sorch last week.

That finishes my last Khador that I have and now a full army pic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Killgore Trout posted:

Any advice for getting this kind of weathered/dusty look on miniatures?

I'm working on making a set of Cadians with this same color scheme and I love the look of them, but mine just seem a little squeaky clean in comparison. I've seen a lot of tutorials for weathering vehicles but not so much for smaller models.

Easy street- buying some weathering powders

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Easy street- buying some weathering powders
I don't even know how you're supposed to use weathering powders; just looks like a wash and drybrush to me but the image isn't big enough to really see much detail.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Leperflesh posted:

Does the needle on this get clogged? Because the thin needle on GW glue sure does and I either have to throw it out, try and find a needle narrow enough, long enough, and sturdy enough to ram out the clog, or use a lighter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a lot of weathering powders but a lot of them are crap. I wish I could remember the brand(s) but some really stick to the model, most others just fall off before you can seal them in.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Secret Weapon makes a black "armor" wash that does a good job of making things look dirty. Vallejo used to make a wash who's only purpose was to grit up things, it's called Vallejo Smoke and it's pretty good at it's job.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Fingers McGee posted:

Cross posting, Whipped out E Sorch last week.

That finishes my last Khador that I have and now a full army pic.

This owns. :ussr:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I don't even know how you're supposed to use weathering powders; just looks like a wash and drybrush to me but the image isn't big enough to really see much detail.

I don't think they used powders on those models. That said, I think its way faster than drybrushing and stippling. Or you could combine all 3 for some really sexy effects.

Secret weapon powders are really good and will last you a long time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

What are the wires for? I've always assumed to clear out the applicator tube, but by the time it gets clogged they're useless.

krushgroove posted:

I just use a lighter to clear out any clogs. Micro-flamethrower!

Post 9-11 User posted:

If the tube gets so clogged that a wire doesn't clear it, cut 1/8" from the end of the tube.

Otherwise, poke a wire in there. Paperclips work fine. In general, clearing a clog sometimes means that the nub of dried plastic drifts back into the applicator tube.

Oxford Comma posted:

Does the needle on this get clogged? Because the thin needle on GW glue sure does and I either have to throw it out, try and find a needle narrow enough, long enough, and sturdy enough to ram out the clog, or use a lighter.

Mine didn't come with wires, and I've never ever had a clog. If you put the cap back on after you use some glue I doubt you'll have much of an issue, but see Post 9-11 User and krushgroove's solutions.

For comparison, my zap-a-gap and my gap-filler glues always clog or go solid long before the bottle is done, and I've had clogs and poo poo all over the nozzles of every other kind of glue I've used over the last two decades. But this stuff has a metal needle and it's plastic glue, so I think it just doesn't stick to the metal at all. Don't let it sit there open for a long-rear end time while you pick your nose or watch TV or whatever, and really you wont' have an issue.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

SRM posted:

I've heard good things about the Forgeworld weathering powders too. As an added bonus, it also makes you want to buy some Forgeworld stuff to justify shipping! :suicide:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's a good thing for all of us to have around, actually. Ever accidentally superglued your fingers together? Worse, got some in an eye? This saves you a trip to the hospital or a lost chunk of skin.

..Actually, I'm not 100% sure this is safe to put in your eye, so uh, don't do that unless a doctor says to.

Fun fact I glued both my eyes shut with super glue. Was glueing a Chimera track together and couldn't line the pins up. Brought it up to eye level and squirted glue in both my eyes.

Is that stuff really any different than acetone?...dont put acetone in your eyes; go to the hospital to have them flushed.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
I'm gonna go with the secret weapon weathering powder route. Are there any matte varnishes that people swear by? I don't have an airbrush so i'm gonna be using a can.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Killgore Trout posted:

Are there any matte varnishes that people swear by? I don't have an airbrush so i'm gonna be using a can.

Testors Dullcote. Testors Dullcote. Testors Dullcote.

The stuff is gold. Cheap, available, perfect. Never have had a can treat me wrong and I've used it in some pretty harsh conditions.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

Enentol posted:

Testors Dullcote. Testors Dullcote. Testors Dullcote.

The stuff is gold. Cheap, available, perfect. Never have had a can treat me wrong and I've used it in some pretty harsh conditions.

Cool. I'll grab some. Thanks for the advice all!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Shut up and use Dullcote)

Seriously let's make this happen mods.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fyrbrand posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Shut up and use Dullcote)

Seriously let's make this happen mods.

I don't know if this so-called 'paint vagrant' guy is still around (or whatever), but if he is, it might be worth updating the total noob section of the op with this and a couple other caveats. For instance, I don't know why you need/want plastic glue for plastics. We pretty much all use superglue all the time, and the brand shouldn't be GW due to the teh hardcorez tax they exact.

And the airbrush stuff has been asked, answered and updated a bunch, and some of that could go in there. In fact isn't there a superpost by someone we keep linking (and by 'we' I mean the awesome guys who keep filling this thread with content, and not me).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

For instance, I don't know why you need/want plastic glue for plastics. We pretty much all use superglue all the time,

Wait what? Don't be an idiot.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Pretty much finished and really liking these Chapterhouse heads. I will get some real pictures in hopefully, but will probably be awhile.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 10, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

LingcodKilla posted:

Loctite gel and a 1/32" brass rod is what I use for every joint. Am I fuckin somethin up here?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

LingcodKilla posted:

I superglue everything. :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Khorne Flakes posted:

Pretty much finished and really liking these Chapterhouse heads. I will get some real pictures in hopefully, but will probably be awhile.

Nice. What did you use for the dark grey areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

signalnoise posted:

Loctite gel and a 1/32" brass rod is what I use for every joint. Am I fuckin somethin up here?

How do you assemble a rhino with brass rods?

Plastic glue has its place. Namely plastic on plastic. It forms a stronger less brittle bonds. Yeah it requires slightly more patience but to disregard it as a tool is just silly.

• Locked thread