Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

DOOM :v: (official versions of the original game were on SNES, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar and Xbox 360)

You forgot some ports, for shame!

Consoles with official straight DOOM ports:
4th gen: SNES, 32X
5th gen: Jaguar, Playstation, Saturn, 3DO
6th gen: Xbox, GBA
7th gen: Xbox 360, PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

He said concurrently!

I would guess that there was some 7800/5200/2600 games that were released at the same time, but I can't find any. Most were arcade ports that were re-released every time a new console came out.

While there were games released 2600 and 7800 simultaneously, the 5200 was Atari's Saturn. Support for it was dropped so quickly that if you blinked you would miss it.

Install Windows posted:

What sports games would that be though that were? That last FIFA game for the PS2?

Actually, this year's FIFA is getting a PS2 release.

Sadly(?), it's not getting a US release. We'll have to satisfy ourselves with Pro Evolution Soccer 2013.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mortal Kombat 3 was released on the Master System, SNES/Genesis, and PS1 at roughly the same time.

There's where we're going to find them: those weird Brazilian Master System ports. I double checked Virtua Fighter thinking that might be a possibility but the Master System/Game Gear port is branded as a different game rather than a port.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 9, 2013

surc
Aug 17, 2004

zenintrude posted:

If you don't have at least 6 Dreamcasts and a collection of extra parts then I have no sympathy for you.

Real men have 1 Dreamcast and no extra parts, becasue they take proper care of the best system ever made. :colbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

surc posted:

Real men have 1 Dreamcast and no extra parts, becasue they take proper care of the best system ever made. :colbert:

Your disc drive is going to die no matter how good you take care of it, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got curious about any other 2013 PS2 releases and I discovered that there was one original, non-sports game released for the system this year. It was even developed by Sony!

It's a licensed game based on an Indian crime movie that was only released in India. As far as I can tell, no one has actually played it. The game exists, I can find pictures of the box, but there was another free to play game with the same title released a few earlier (obviously a tie-in for the same movie) and all the videos I can find are of that.

Take a look at what you can get if you buy a PS2 in Mumbai right now:

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

So has anyone installed the FM mod into the sega master system? if so is it worth it?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Mortal Kombat 3 was released on the Master System, SNES/Genesis, and PS1 at roughly the same time.

You just brought to my attention that the Master System is still receiving new revisions and being sold in Brazil, with sales figures of 150k between the SMS and SMD for 2012. That is amazing and horrifying at the same time. That means the Master System is the longest running console at this point, at 28 years of production.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Random Stranger posted:

I got curious about any other 2013 PS2 releases and I discovered that there was one original, non-sports game released for the system this year. It was even developed by Sony!

It's a licensed game based on an Indian crime movie that was only released in India. As far as I can tell, no one has actually played it. The game exists, I can find pictures of the box, but there was another free to play game with the same title released a few earlier (obviously a tie-in for the same movie) and all the videos I can find are of that.

Take a look at what you can get if you buy a PS2 in Mumbai right now:

Here you go: http://in.playstation.com/ps2/games/detail/item585337/DON-2-The-Game/?WT.tsrc=portal+games+gallery

Looks pretty budget.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, this year's FIFA is getting a PS2 release.

Sadly(?), it's not getting a US release. We'll have to satisfy ourselves with Pro Evolution Soccer 2013.

Well what I meant was, FIFA 13 already came out and got a release on PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Wii U last year. That's the one I knew for sure did 3 generations already.

I tell ya what's weird though, FIFA 14 is going to come out to PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Xbox One/PS4 but will not be available on the Wii U! Talk about getting snubbed, I don't think even the Dreamcast got hit like that. In fact, has that ever happened before with a series?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 9, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

^^I'm reasonably sure EA was sufficiently pissed at Sega by the time the Dreamcast came around that EA made no games for it at all, sports or otherwise. All sports games on Dreamcast were Sega Sports titles, I think.

Random Stranger posted:

It's a licensed game based on an Indian crime movie that was only released in India.

Whoa, I had no idea they made more Don movies. The first Don movie is a 1978 film and is basically the classic Bollywood crime action film, in much the same way that Goldfinger would be perceived by us.

I kind of wish there were more wacky games being made in exotic parts of the world, I bet there'd be some fascinating stuff out there, like Brazil's 2012 SMS lineup. Too expensive for much of the world, I guess.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Happy 14th birthday to the Dreamcast, by the way.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Windows posted:

Well what I meant was, FIFA 13 already came out and got a release on PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Wii U last year. That's the one I knew for sure did 3 generations already.

I tell ya what's weird though, FIFA 14 is going to come out to PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Xbox One/PS4 but will not be available on the Wii U! Talk about getting snubbed, I don't think even the Dreamcast got hit like that.

What's even weirder/funnier is that the Vita ports of EA sports games are just the engine from like Blah '11 or '12 with roster updates. They didn't backport the newer engines so you get none of the new features. Laziest port ever. I'm going to bet the PS2 and Wii versions will be similar in that regards.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I finally got something decent at a local Salvation Army today. Got a Super Gameboy for $3.17 after tax today. The older guy working the counter threw it out yesterday because he thought it was missing a piece and apparently one of his coworkers rescued it. I asked how much and told him I was willing to throw them a couple bucks and he went and got a price and I figured it was finally time to see what all the excitement is about. Plus I have no idea if I can fix my gameboy battery spring that broke so this way I can play Gameboy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

What's even weirder/funnier is that the Vita ports of EA sports games are just the engine from like Blah '11 or '12 with roster updates. They didn't backport the newer engines so you get none of the new features. Laziest port ever. I'm going to bet the PS2 and Wii versions will be similar in that regards.

Doesn't seem to bother the people who still make fan patches of NHL 94. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Install Windows posted:

I tell ya what's weird though, FIFA 14 is going to come out to PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Xbox One/PS4 but will not be available on the Wii U! Talk about getting snubbed, I don't think even the Dreamcast got hit like that.

EA did some kind of massive flip out on the Wii U that people outside of EA and Nintendo don't know the details on. A few months before launch they were, "We are just thrilled to be putting our games on Nintendo's new platform!" and then they all but said, "gently caress YOU, NINTENDO, AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!" (except in business speak which meant they they essentially went completely chilly).

My personal theory is that EA thought they could get the same concessions on DLC and the like from Nintendo that they do from Microsoft and Sony, but Nintendo refused to make an exception leading to EA saying, "We're gonna pull another Genesis on your asses! Do you know who we are? We're motherfuckin' EA, motherfucker! We made the Dreamcast our bitch and the Wii U is going to eat it the same way!" But that's just a guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DLC spoils seems likely, since they built an entire lovely PC game distribution platform to avoid giving Valve a cut.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Install Windows posted:

I tell ya what's weird though, FIFA 14 is going to come out to PS2, Wii/360/PS3, and Xbox One/PS4 but will not be available on the Wii U! Talk about getting snubbed, I don't think even the Dreamcast got hit like that. In fact, has that ever happened before with a series?
Dreamcast never had a FIFA title so they were snubbed. EA NHL never appeared on the Wii save for the 1 off Slapshot

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

DLC spoils seems likely, since they built an entire lovely PC game distribution platform to avoid giving Valve a cut.

Which is why I think it's the likely cause of the split. Without digging into the business side of things too far, it's been EA's focus for the past several years and they've made arrangements with Sony and Microsoft that let them violate a few of their platform's policies for the sake of their DLC sales. Nintendo, both due to their shakiness in online policies and history in dealing with publishers, seems to be unlikely to quickly make the same kinds of concessions. And EA has a bit of the attitude that I grossly exaggerated in my post which would make them quicker to break off from a platform.

But it's a guess. It could just as easily be that Nintendo execs said they didn't like the lazy roster update releases. :v:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Install Windows posted:

Dreamcast never had a single EA title, so... yea... it was somewhat worse off than the Wii U.

Unless you consider the 2K series to be superior, which I do.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Happy 14th birthday to the Dreamcast, by the way.

Don't remind me.:smith: I've still got my old Dreamcast from launch, yet another victim of a dying disc drive. Anyone know where I can find a good replacement, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

Dreamcast never had a single EA title, so... yea... it was somewhat worse off than the Wii U.

Unless you consider the 2K series to be superior, which I do.

It's a bigger snub that they were given one game, then refused another, while still producing it for the predecessor system. Like for instance, they didn't ever release a Madden game on the Dreamcast only to turn around and put out the next years on the Saturn. As a matter of fact, the last Madden game for a Sega console was Saturn Madden 98 released in 1997.

Meanwhile, FIFA 13 comes out on Wii and Wii U, but 14 is only Wii. That's a major snub.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Install Windows posted:

It's a bigger snub that they were given one game, then refused another, while still producing it for the predecessor system. Like for instance, they didn't ever release a Madden game on the Dreamcast only to turn around and put out the next years on the Saturn. As a matter of fact, the last Madden game for a Sega console was Saturn Madden 98 released in 1997.

Meanwhile, FIFA 13 comes out on Wii and Wii U, but 14 is only Wii. That's a major snub.

At least the Wii U can still technically load the Wii version. :colbert:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
My Dreamcast has been going 14 years strong, the disc drive will never die

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

While the subject of ports that shouldn't exist is still in mind, I present Street Fighter II for the ZX Spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7HYsOEccw

Main things to know about this port:

-it was released by U.S. Gold, responsible for tons of other ports on the machine (a lot of which are quite bad)
-It came out as late as 1993, making it the last major release for the Spectrum.
-Despite being on the Spectrum, the game includes every character including the four bosses, and every individual background!
-It's pretty rubbish!

It was quite insane to see SFII on the Spectrum, and in all honesty U.S. Gold and Go! probably did as good a job as they could on the machine - but there was just no way to make this game work. The Spectrum only has one fire button, after all - you almost end up doing moves at random. The gameplay is sort of like a Tiger Electronics game only on an actual computer. It's not too bad in 2-player, but it makes for an awful 1-player game.

However, none of these problems amount to anything compared with the game's multi-load system. Unless you had the disk version, SFII would come on one big-rear end C60 cassette tape. You start a fight, and then the game would have to go through the whole tape looking for the first fighter, the second fighter, and then the background - there weren't any markings as to where they were, unless you were particularly patient and decided to mark everything with the tape counter. Loading for a single fight could take - no word of a lie - up to THIRTY minutes. God help you if you're in 2-player mode and one of you wants to change characters...there was the disk version, of course - but it's not like many people had a Spectrum +3 at all, let alone in 1993 when the system was all but dead.

All that said, it is quite nice to see Street Fighter II on the ZX Spectrum...no real reason for that aside from it being my first computer and thus having a special place in my heart. The ZX Spectrum's port of DOOM is probably more famous than this one - however I don't think it counts so much because it wasn't official. Although really, the Spectrum is probably the undisputed home of crazy ports that have no reason to exist...there's tons of them. There are some games like Chase H.Q or Cabal where you'd be amazed at just what people were able to get out of such a limited machine, and there are others that...well, didn't get much of anything out at all. I made a lil' video covering just a smattering of the Speccy's arcade ports (along with being a bit of a Speccy love-in video in general):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvDFpXiNbUM

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Never forget ZX Spectrum Pit Fighter though. A True Work of Art.

Also dammit univbee my health bars just look the opposite of that. I am pretty bad at these kind of games but I won't give up :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Orange Mage posted:

Speaking of oddball ports, are there any non-sports games that were released concurrently across three different console generations?

It's only across two generations, but Splinter Cell: Double Agent's an interesting case. The two versions are very different games with just the same basic story, and both are surprisingly solid Splinter Cell titles in their own right. I actually like the PS2 version a bit better than the Xbox 360 one, because it had a better coherent plot to it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Random Stranger posted:

EA did some kind of massive flip out on the Wii U that people outside of EA and Nintendo don't know the details on. A few months before launch they were, "We are just thrilled to be putting our games on Nintendo's new platform!" and then they all but said, "gently caress YOU, NINTENDO, AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!" (except in business speak which meant they they essentially went completely chilly).

My personal theory is that EA thought they could get the same concessions on DLC and the like from Nintendo that they do from Microsoft and Sony, but Nintendo refused to make an exception leading to EA saying, "We're gonna pull another Genesis on your asses! Do you know who we are? We're motherfuckin' EA, motherfucker! We made the Dreamcast our bitch and the Wii U is going to eat it the same way!" But that's just a guess.

univbee posted:

I am honestly surprised that EA has never tried going all out and just making their own console and saying FU to Microsoft and Sony.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am honestly surprised that EA has never tried going all out and just making their own console and saying FU to Microsoft and Sony.

They did, remember the 3DO? :v:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Ugh, I spent a long rear end time finding a mini SD adapter in my house... and then drunkenly lost it that same night. Argh, take my $6 you god drat Amazon flash memory resellers

edit: Is anyone willing to trade a real NES or Genesis 1/2 PSU for a real SNES PSU? I also have a poo poo ton of SNES controllers and could use some Genesis 6 buttons ;)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Orange Mage posted:

Trip Hawkins ≠ EA

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Doesn't seem to bother the people who still make fan patches of NHL 94. :v:

I don't think most people have a problem in general with playing the same sports game with no new features, so long as they're not being charged $50-$60 for a roster update.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

An amusing thing happened with Sony's next gen announements at TGS:

"Hey, I got this great new Vita TV system. We can play tons of games, like Dead or Alive 5..."

"No. We're going to play the 1996 classic Tekken 2."

And so it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWplhhktgqs&t=138s

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Install Windows posted:

You forgot some ports, for shame!

Consoles with official straight DOOM ports:
4th gen: SNES, 32X
5th gen: Jaguar, Playstation, Saturn, 3DO
6th gen: Xbox, GBA
7th gen: Xbox 360, PS3

Best console Doom port was for the 3DO. :colbert:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Orange Mage posted:

zenintrude posted:

Trip Hawkins ≠ EA

What's funny is I almost said that the 3DO didn't count in my post.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

What's funny is I almost said that the 3DO didn't count in my post.

Whatever the question is, the 3DO never counts. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OSI bean dip posted:

Best console Doom port was for the 3DO. :colbert:

If you're blind, sure. Sound was great, viewport was terrible and it kept the simplified levels and textures of the Jaguar.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Best console DooM reporting in

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Whatever the question is, the 3DO never counts. :colbert:

Kinda glad no one wanted to spring for mine. Even if I never use the thing.

ACID POLICE posted:

Best console DooM reporting in

:respek: For everything that had to be cut it's still a fun game with a great version of the soundtrack.

But seriously why no BFG?!?!?!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
My Dreamcast is still going strong and will never die because it is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Just spotted this ebay listing for the GB Boy Colour if you're into that sort of thing... Not that I'm judging or anything.

• Locked thread