Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why is like 1/3rd of his skull ghost white while the rest is super tan :stonk:
That's where his hair was

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Given that next to nothing would have to be taken out of Aliens for it to get a modern-day PG-13, that's kind of a bad example.
That chestbursting scene is not "next to nothing." It makes the film.

zVxTeflon posted:

Whatever. So loving pick Alien, Terminator, Predator or any other example.
Neither Terminator 1 nor Predator 1 are anywhere near a PG-13 rating either. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
From the thread title I thought that someone was either having another go at making a DoA movie, or had rediscovered the original movie as some kind of lost gem.

I disagree that a PG-13 rating means anything at all for the quality of this movie. Good PG-13 movies have been made (DoA was PG-13! :haw:). You can tell a good story and keep it PG-13. The lower the rating, the better - lower ratings means more people will see it, which means more opportunity for people to reflect on whatever bone this movie has to pick (looks like drone warfare).

I really like the angle they're going for with Gary Oldman's explanation that the man in the machine is pretty much obsolete. The machine literally does the fighting, Murphy is just for show and they make him think he's in control. Love that, that's a horrifying concept.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I really dislike that so many action movies end up PG-13 these days.

My favourite action movies as a kid (and now) were all R rated, man :colbert:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 9, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

But yeah, when the lead actor of the original who has his hands on all facets of the film industry has seen the remake and doesn't think it has anywhere near the emotional impact of the original, well then it probably doesn't and that doesn't make me very hopeful.

So I take it you thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek movie?

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

I watched Elite Squad 2 some time ago and remember it more as a political crime thriller on drugs than an action movie. It definitely felt very opinionated and blunt. I wouldn't expect this to be a Dark Knight-series style head-scratcher but I wouldn't expect Padilho to just grab a handful from the Hollywood bag of token themes. What I worry about is that it won't be funny, that'd be a shame, I think.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

That chestbursting scene is not "next to nothing." It makes the film.

I was deliberately being a pedant for shits and giggles, but I think you're getting the first movie mixed up with the second. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

computer parts posted:

So I take it you thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek movie?
It was alright. Better than the 2009 one, though I enjoyed that one as well, but neither of them were really great, imo. Just decent summer popcorn movies, nothing more.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
The original Robocop will always have a very special spot in my heart because it's by far one of the most traumatizing movies I saw as kid. I thank Total Recall, Robocop, Commando, Thing, and Aliens for warping my childhood but Robocop did the most damage.

It's really quite something to be 11 years old and pop in Robocop into the VCR expecting a cheesy action movie then get bombarded with the most grotesque gore, violence, and scarring social commentary ever. Murphy getting his hand amputated with a shotgun scene is horrific even for 80's violence. Plus the infamous toxic waste scene.. It reminds me of how toned down a lot of today's blockbusters are.

It's also kind of amusing that Detroit is in fact a bigger shithole than it was depicted in the original Robocop.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Why is like 1/3rd of his skull ghost white while the rest is super tan :stonk:

But yeah, when the lead actor of the original who has his hands on all facets of the film industry has seen the remake and doesn't think it has anywhere near the emotional impact of the original, well then it probably doesn't and that doesn't make me very hopeful.

But he hasn't seen the remake. He's guessing. Maybe he's right, but he's not saying "I saw Robocop 2014 and it sucks!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

But he hasn't seen the remake. He's guessing. Maybe he's right, but he's not saying "I saw Robocop 2014 and it sucks!"
Didn't he say something like "I saw it 3 weeks ago"? Maybe I misheard him.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Didn't he say something like "I saw it 3 weeks ago"? Maybe I misheard him.

He was referring to the original.

When that festival was happening they were still in the middle of shooting the new one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He was referring to the original.

When that festival was happening they were still in the middle of shooting the new one.
Oh, whoops! Yeah, I should've known because later on he says "let 'em try".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Neither Terminator 1 nor Predator 1 are anywhere near a PG-13 rating either. :confused:

That was my point. They all had toy lines for kids.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That new gun is no where near as cool as the classic Auto 9. Though the new Robocop design looks nice enough in chrome/silver, don't like the black.

As for anything but the aesthetics, we'll have to see when the movie comes out, trailers are usually useless.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

zVxTeflon posted:

That was my point. They all had toy lines for kids.
Ah, that is true.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
There's a new trailer up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Complete garbage. His suit is shiny chrome now instead of the classic dull metal? It looks so cheap now!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Guys we shouldn't be so quick to poo poo on this. He's literally going into a working-class home and repossessing their appliances to serve corporate interests, in the guise of wholesome family advertising - they're definitely keeping the satire.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If they work "Yo, I'm about to eat" into Remakebocop I'll take back all my trepidations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I was deliberately being a pedant for shits and giggles, but I think you're getting the first movie mixed up with the second. :v:

The scene where a xenomorph chestbusts out of one of the settlers is the moments things go tits up for the Marines. It is a pretty important and (to some, at least) a very memorable moment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

"Yo, what the hell, fried chicken."

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Complete apathy is what I felt towards the new trailer. It just looks so generic and dull. I'll still go to the cinema to see it because it's god drat Robocop but I'll complain the whole time. :colbert:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

Complete apathy is what I felt towards the new trailer. It just looks so generic and dull. I'll still go to the cinema to see it because it's god drat Robocop but I'll complain the whole time. :colbert:

I hope Robocop breaks into your house and steals your fridge. :colbert:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'm pretty sure Robocop's intentions towards that refrigerator are romantic, if the second movie is to be believed. He's not repossessing it, he's eloping with it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

The scene where a xenomorph chestbusts out of one of the settlers is the moments things go tits up for the Marines. It is a pretty important and (to some, at least) a very memorable moment.

If I remember correctly, there's barely any gore in that scene, though. It kind of amuses me when people bring it up as a textbook example of R-rated movies getting ruined by PG-13 sequels, because the actual on-screen violence in Aliens is about on the same level as the violence in AVP. The big difference is that Aliens is a way more tense and well-made movie, not that Aliens is gorier in the slightest.

This is kind of a stupid derail given that I was knowingly just being an rear end in the first place, though.

zVxTeflon posted:

Does Bishop getting ripped in half fall under "its not red blood so its ok" type of loophole thing the MPAA has?

Yeah, that was my thinking.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 11, 2013

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does Bishop getting ripped in half fall under "its not red blood so its ok" type of loophole thing the MPAA has?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
There's been some leaked footage (SPOILERS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKFU1H_OVc

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I will never, ever get tired of that clip.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

I think it would. Honestly, besides language I can't think of anything that would prevent Aliens (or Alien) from being remade today, shot by shot, and getting a PG-13 rating. It was much easier (and not as much of a concern) to catch an R 20 years ago then it is now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There's a woman with an exploding chestburster who they burn alive with a flamethrower

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Zzulu posted:

There's a woman with an exploding chestburster who they burn alive with a flamethrower

Yet very little blood/gore and no lingering shots of a burnt corpse (which were a thing in World War Z and that still pulled a PG-13).

As far as I can tell as long as you don't say "gently caress" more than once, no graphic (bloody) dismemberment, and have no visible tits I think you're going to be able to argue for a PG-13.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous Robot posted:

There's been some leaked footage (SPOILERS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKFU1H_OVc
:stare:

I have no idea why I haven't seen this before and now I can't stop laughing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gr3y posted:

Yet very little blood/gore and no lingering shots of a burnt corpse (which were a thing in World War Z and that still pulled a PG-13).

As far as I can tell as long as you don't say "gently caress" more than once, no graphic (bloody) dismemberment, and have no visible tits I think you're going to be able to argue for a PG-13.

Yeah, the chestburster scene is probably on par with the "Kali Ma" from Temple of Doom. It's not the lengthy, agonizing, bloodsoaked shot in Aliens, it's over in a minute. It's not like you see the ribs like that dude getting cut in half in Only God Forgives.

I think severed heads can be PG-13 as long as there's little blood and you can even get away with face damage if its quick enough, like Emilio Estevez getting skewered in the face in Mission Impossible.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What are peoples opinions on Robocop 2? Its on Netxlix and its better than I remember so far.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's better than everybody remembers it but that's because every remembers it as pretty bad.

Of the 3 Robocop films its the second best one....

Vakal
May 11, 2008

massive spider posted:

What are peoples opinions on Robocop 2? Its on Netxlix and its better than I remember so far.

I've always enjoyed it, but then I also always make a point to start watching at about half-way in.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It has a cyborg with minigun arms that is addicted to a drug called Nuke

What's not to love

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FishBulb posted:

It's better than everybody remembers it but that's because every remembers it as pretty bad.

Of the 3 Robocop films its the second best one....

People remember the good portions of the movie, like the failed Robocops bit and Robocop 2, which makes them think it was a good movie, utterly forgetting that those individual moments are strung together by the awfulness of the rest of the film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The good parts of Robocop 2 are really funny and the rest is interminable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But that still puts it miles ahead of Robo 3.

• Locked thread