Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I really like those wheels. Great looking car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I drove around at Lunch with my phone mounted to the dash so you guys can hear the sound it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboI5H4R0t0

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

echobucket posted:

I drove around at Lunch with my phone mounted to the dash so you guys can hear the sound it makes.

I like it! Sounds very peppy and looks like its a blast to drive on smaller roads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ugh shut the gently caress up about the Fiesta St, don't make me trade in my Mazda2 for one.

I gotta stay strong even if it has 85 more horsepower and 110 more ft-lbs of torque.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

Ugh shut the gently caress up about the Fiesta St, don't make me trade in my Mazda2 for one.

I gotta stay strong even if it has 85 more horsepower and 110 more ft-lbs of torque.

Does it have better suspension?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you count a whole 260 lbs more as a better suspension... (it's still struts front, twist beam rear) It's the same chassis with better spring rates, rear discs, and 17" wheels. I would be all over it if they used the Focus' multilink rear.

The local Ford dealer has one in black with Recaros...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is the turning circle on the Fiesta similarly hilarious to the turning circle on the Focus?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the turning circle on the Fiesta similarly hilarious to the turning circle on the Focus?

I haven't noticed it being very wide.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

I still feel like Mazda is making us all miss out by not even putting a big Skyactiv or the old 2.5L NA MZR in the Mazda2, if not the DISI.

Definitely keep up on the ST posts, it's on the list of cars I want to test drive / hopefully replace the Ranger with.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
A Mazda 2 with either, or both, a better rear suspension or a better engine would be an amazing car.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

echobucket posted:

Long Island, right? I'll meet up with you some time and drag you with my stock Versa so you can laugh at me.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Mistayke posted:

Long Island, right? I'll meet up with you some time and drag you with my stock Versa so you can laugh at me.

Ha, no.. Arkansas.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My non-ST fiesta has issues U-turning in a two lane road, I'd assume the ST isn't much better.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

The 18s on the ST doesn't help but if you're not using the e-brake to make your U-turn you're doing it wrong.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

bobfather posted:

I unplugged my sound symposer and haven't looked back. The cabin is so much quieter now! I found the symposer was coming online no matter what at 1500-2000 RPM, even if my driving was slow and relaxed. I don't need to feel like I'm always driving quickly.
stupid question -- would the 'sport-tuned exhaust' that came on the previous-gen Focus coupes be related to this? I have an '09 that gets noticeably louder, at least in the car, the moment the engine hits 2500RPM and I'm curious if it works in the same way or if it's just an odd coincidence.

Also, what are kidneys going for on the black market nowadays? My Fiesta ST lust hasn't subsided yet and I figure I may as well give into temptation regardless of finances.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm not sure about that specific model year Focus. I do know that sound symposers seem to be the new rage for most cars. I personally just don't care for the idea of them, which is to make a car sound loud even if it isn't.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bobfather posted:

I'm not sure about that specific model year Focus. I do know that sound symposers seem to be the new rage for most cars. I personally just don't care for the idea of them, which is to make a car sound loud even if it isn't.

Some of us have cars that don't need symposers :smug:

Because they shoved the exhaust headers right up against the firewall with barely any sound insulation :v:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I ordered this for the front of my Fiesta ST.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-metal-tag-universal-mounting/dp/B003YJ8146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378482013&sr=8-2&keywords=Ford+Racing+plate

Is it pretentious to put a "racing" plate on it? I just wanted it because I wanted to get rid of the stupid dealer plate and this was the only ford plate I could find that was red and black.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If you are afraid of looking like a dunce, you can always order this one. It is also black and red. v:v:v

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

echobucket posted:

I ordered this for the front of my Fiesta ST.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-metal-tag-universal-mounting/dp/B003YJ8146/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378482013&sr=8-2&keywords=Ford+Racing+plate

Is it pretentious to put a "racing" plate on it? I just wanted it because I wanted to get rid of the stupid dealer plate and this was the only ford plate I could find that was red and black.

Thats awful. Just take the plate off.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Thats awful. Just take the plate off.

The stupid bracket is riveted onto the car :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you drill out the rivets or buzz the bracket off with a zipdisk?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Phy posted:

Can you drill out the rivets or buzz the bracket off with a zipdisk?

I'm tempted to try this, but I don't want to end up messing up the bumper. I wish they had just never put the thing on in the first place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone know how the ST suspension compares to the Titanium w/ the handling package option? Ride height and such are similar I would imagine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why on earth would they put the bracket on a car if it's being sold in a state which doesn't require a front plate? I'd have insisted on an unsullied bumper.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Why on earth would they put the bracket on a car if it's being sold in a state which doesn't require a front plate? I'd have insisted on an unsullied bumper.

There's only three Fiesta STs in the state and this one already had the bracket on it when I showed up to look at it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Got brave and drilled them out.

Stupid rivets.

Looks much better. Need to figure out some red plugs for the holes now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

echobucket posted:

Stupid rivets.

Looks a thousand times better than some cheesy ford racing plate!

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

echobucket posted:

Here's a better photo I took this morning in the sunlight.

2014 Ford Fiesta ST by jdorseydesign, on Flickr

I gotta get a better front plate than the stupid dealership advertisement.

Owns. Good choice, I bet you get asked about it quite a lot over the next few months.

omgitstheinternet posted:

Took my hot hatch up in the mountains for a drive this weekend

Also owns. It's hot, it's got a hatch. Good enough for me. Probably the best looking BMW, though for some reason I also really dig the 1-series.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Any of you with Focus STs putting car seats or kids in the back? If so, how's it working out?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

blk posted:

Any of you with Focus STs putting car seats or kids in the back? If so, how's it working out?

I've done this a few times with my niece and nephew. My niece is two and her car seats fit without any hassle, and my nephew is six so he's fine with a booster, which fits with no problem.

Both of them like how the ST drives.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

echobucket posted:

Stupid rivets.

Or just plug some bolts in there and see what it looks like. We did that on our car when we moved from Wisconsin to Florida. Doesn't look bad at all and you don't have holes sitting there!

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Looks like I need the rear motor mount tsb done on my focus st, when it clunked on the way home from work today, I thought I ran something over.I did a couple more runs to confirm. I'm a little annoyed since I asked the salesman about the issue before I got the car, and he said it wouldn't be a problem because of the build date.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

SpellEdge posted:

Looks like I need the rear motor mount tsb done on my focus st, when it clunked on the way home from work today, I thought I ran something over.I did a couple more runs to confirm. I'm a little annoyed since I asked the salesman about the issue before I got the car, and he said it wouldn't be a problem because of the build date.

I got the same problem and my dealer didn't know the TSB existed, let alone thought it was possible to recreate. So far I'm the first and only ST they sold to be doing the TSB, although they're still waiting on parts, since June.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SpellEdge posted:

My dealership wouldn't do it at the same time I did my maintenance. They had the part, they had the time, the tech just "didn't feel like it."

I'm running out of Ford dealerships to go to. They are all poo poo-tastic in the panhandle.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

echobucket posted:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11

Knockoffs are surely cheaper, though I know these guys will match exact paint codes so it looks nice.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Bob A Feet posted:

My dealership wouldn't do it at the same time I did my maintenance. They had the part, they had the time, the tech just "didn't feel like it."

I'm running out of Ford dealerships to go to. They are all poo poo-tastic in the panhandle.

The service dude I talked to today was less than helpful. From the get go I got the impression he was trying to blow me off. He said he'd need the car all day to verify, I laughed and said I'll call back when I have a day. It takes about 10 seconds to verify that thunk, and the TSB says it's 1.8 hrs to fix. I'm going to try another dealership.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

JBark posted:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11

Knockoffs are surely cheaper, though I know these guys will match exact paint codes so it looks nice.

I ended up buying some automotive paint to match and some black plastic plugs from the local auto shop, painting them and putting them in the holes. If the paint ever wears off I'll look into these. Thanks.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Put on a set of RokBlokz Rally Mudflaps on the ST. Aiming for a set of steelies and winter tires to complete the look for the Illinois winter. Maybe plastidip the steelies white?

Anyways, pics. Pardon the iPhone quality, I think I need to get re-accustomed to my Nikon L810 again:

Fronts were no problem, just crank the wheel to move the tires out of the way. The real fun were the rear sets. Either you could squeeze them in with the rear end jacked up or remove the tires. I opted for the removing of tires:

Finished! I actually had the "RB" stickers on wrong but luckily they give you a lot if you mess up.

Here it is in daylight. Car has been dirty due to my apartment complex mowing and doing yardwork every week to kick up dust and dirt. With how low the flaps go, looks like no automated carwash lines for me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

POST IS NOT EDIT, damnit.