Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thank god they ditched "I'll do it all myself!" so fast. My eyes were in danger of rolling out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

Thank god they ditched "I'll do it all myself!" so fast. My eyes were in danger of rolling out of my head.

Kongou Mitsuko may have single-handedly rescued this filler arc.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

They haven't QUITE ditched it completely. Misaka still does most of the heavy lifting (learning about Febri in the first place from Heaven Canceler, arranging a meeting with Telestina "Crazy McBitchTits" Kihara, figuring out that Shinobu is involved with Febri's creation and beginning to track her down, speculating that Meltdowner and her posse might be involved) in the episode. Still, she gave some of the load to the others, so it's a small step nonetheless.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

They haven't QUITE ditched it completely. Misaka still does most of the heavy lifting (learning about Febri in the first place from Heaven Canceler, arranging a meeting with Telestina "Crazy McBitchTits" Kihara, figuring out that Shinobu is involved with Febri's creation and beginning to track her down, speculating that Meltdowner and her posse might be involved) in the episode. Still, she gave some of the load to the others, so it's a small step nonetheless.

I liked her "This is dangerous guys, if you want out this is the time" speech being completely ignored. Maybe that will finally hammer the message home.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
How nice of them to give Telestina her own forward-facing throne for her cell.

I'm a bit amused at the doctor asking Misaka if she's "prepared to face the underworld." After the SISTERS arc, she's pretty much "been there done that," no?

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
^ Ohohoho. It can always get worse. It was nice seeing some more Misaka/10032 interaction. That dynamic is getting pretty good.

The soundtrack (part 1) is also out, and this is apparently the part with all the first-half-season dark-mood music. It's pretty cool! Lots of brass and distorted guitar.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HellCopter posted:

How nice of them to give Telestina her own forward-facing throne for her cell.
A normal bench isn't becoming of a Kihara. Mad science demands impeccable presentation. :science:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I liked this episode. Continued Misaka development from the Sister's arc. Though it shouldn't have taken Kongou's inadvertent advice to convince her to finally seek help.

I find it amusing that a lot of times I can't remember important recurring characters on some shows but I recognized the cat right away. I'd totally watch a filler episode staring Dog the cat and Sphinx.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

I liked this episode. Continued Misaka development from the Sister's arc. Though it shouldn't have taken Kongou's inadvertent advice to convince her to finally seek help.

I find it amusing that a lot of times I can't remember important recurring characters on some shows but I recognized the cat right away. I'd totally watch a filler episode staring Dog the cat and Sphinx.

I actually liked that the advice came from Kongou. We all know that she has issues making friends (she freaked out when a 5 year old child said she'd be her friend), but is fiercely loyal to the one she has, so it makes sense that she best understands the value and meaning of friendship.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The difference largely comes from their relative positions socially though.

Misaka always(justifiably) thought of herself as superior in some ways. She's much more powerful than most people she knows and idolized to boot, so she takes on the role of a protector to her friends. When it comes down to a fight, anyone she'd have trouble with would find little difficulty sweeping her friends aside. She's quite willing to intervene in the troubles of others, but never even considered needing help herself.
When she found out about the dark side of the city, she quite understandably doesn't want to drag her friends into danger, and ruining their happy school life.

Kongou meanwhile had her delusions of superiority popped early on. She's faced reality.

veekie fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veekie posted:

Kongou meanwhile had her delusions of superiority popped early on. She's faced reality.
More somewhat deflated than popped. This is still Kongou Mitsuko we're talking about, the girl wears a live python wrapped around her neck like it's no big thing.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Kongou is still my favorite character. I'm glad the anime one and manga one is starting to resolve into one.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Paracelsus posted:

More somewhat deflated than popped. This is still Kongou Mitsuko we're talking about, the girl wears a live python wrapped around her neck like it's no big thing.

Well...maybe she deserves that much for having the gonads to wear a live python like a feather boa.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
This arc has me wishing Kongou and the swim team girls would get their own spin-off. A Certain Haughty Ojou-sama?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

ViggyNash posted:

I actually liked that the advice came from Kongou. We all know that she has issues making friends (she freaked out when a 5 year old child said she'd be her friend), but is fiercely loyal to the one she has, so it makes sense that she best understands the value and meaning of friendship.

I like Kongou. It's just that Misaka should have already learned her lesson.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
A Certain Abused Bridge of Confrontations

Ultimately the most meaningful thing shown in the episode, other than an aside that Heaven Canceller has a lot more clout than he ought to. The Therestina talk was, as post-defeat villain speeches go, not too bad. Then it proceeds to demonstrate that Misaka has understood the whole "friends" thing on an intellectual level, but still hasn't integrated any of it. Leading to the most contrived self-inflicted cliffhanger I've seen in a good while. Let's unreservedly trust all villains :doh:

(Never loving mind that Kuroko could have solved that standoff in any permutation it could have chosen to go, and why is Misaka going anywhere without a Teleportation Bug-Out panic button anyway? Oh wait, because teleportation destroys tension, my bad. Too bad implausible situations do, too.)

And ultimately it all serves to push all the legitimate-target buttons. If (other than Nunotoba, who has earned sapience status) these villains were characters and not cardboard cutouts, I'd accuse them of deliberately studying just how hard you have to push the one Level 5 who's holding back because she's hesitant to kill (or occasionally because she finds it more sporting, i.e., she's playing with her prey, for those mistakenly still thinking she's the sole perfectly stable L5) in order to get the unrestrained Lightning of Justified Retribution shoved up your spinal column.

I'm sort of down with the whole "in a city of no morals, power is as power does" thing, though, it has potential as a piece of the whole social status subtext.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 14, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wolf on Air posted:

And ultimately it all serves to push all the legitimate-target buttons. If (other than Nunotoba, who has earned sapience status) these villains were characters and not cardboard cutouts, I'd accuse them of deliberately studying just how hard you have to push the one Level 5 who's holding back because she's hesitant to kill (or occasionally because she finds it more sporting, i.e., she's playing with her prey, for those mistakenly still thinking she's the sole perfectly stable L5) in order to get the unrestrained Lightning of Justified Retribution shoved up your spinal column.

Index Spoiler: The only way that could backfire worse on them is if this arc was post-Last Order and MISAKA 20001 and Febri somehow became friends.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 14, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Index Spoiler: The only way that could backfire worse on them is if this arc was post-Last Order and MISAKA 20001 and Febri somehow became friends.
Aren't MISAKA 20001 and Last Order the same? (Light Novel Spoiler) Last Order and Fremea are friends. Is that where you're going? Looks like my guessing might be correct after all.

My guess is there are a number of reasons Mikoto doesn't take her "Cast Evacuate Now" spell with her wherever she goes: Kuroko might end up meeting one of the MISAKA's, and Mikoto has fervently avoided that throughout the series. Two, Kuroko has been injured fairly severely in the past. Her teleportation might be really nice to have, and she seems pretty adept at using the spikes or what-have-you as weapons, but she's by no means a tremendous fighter. Mikoto probably wants to keep her safe. Three, Kuroko tends to throw caution to the wind -- especially when Mikoto is around. It's quite possible she'd do something extremely dangerous in order to "save Mikoto" only when it wasn't really necessary and get injured.

I'd leave her at home too, unless I was going deep into a dungeon and wanted a cheap and easy way home.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I thought that the situation with Febri being so time-critical and dire would lead to involving someone like Kuroko, but I guess she's not so important that Misaka would consult any of her friends beforehand.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Aren't MISAKA 20001 and Last Order the same? (Light Novel Spoiler) Last Order and Fremea are friends. Is that where you're going? Looks like my guessing might be correct after all.

Yeah. But making Last Order upset makes Accelerator upset. And making him upset is never a good idea. Hence my comment that it would backfire even more spectacularly.

My pet theory for Misaka's reluctance to use the Kuroko express is that it requires physical contact, and she doesn't want to encourage Kuroko.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah. But making Last Order upset makes Accelerator upset. And making him upset is never a good idea. Hence my comment that it would backfire even more spectacularly.

My pet theory for Misaka's reluctance to use the Kuroko express is that it requires physical contact, and she doesn't want to encourage Kuroko.

The Liberal Arts City light novel has an excellent Kuroko/Misaka Action scene. She enormously improves their combat ability.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

I dunno, she seemed to be pretty encouraging this episode. :pervert:

In all seriousness, I'm curious how the hell Shinobu got involved with this group. Last we saw she was being taken away to parts unknown and we all assumed we'd get a "save Shinobu" arc or whatever. But now she's involved with yet another morally degraded group of scientists who have no qualms about just up and killing their test subjects when they're no longer useful and honestly I'm wondering why she'd get involved with them considering her track record with artificially created humans so far. Maybe she was a part of their group long before she started to rage against the machine, and they bailed her out of the trouble she was in? Or did they purchase her service in helping to create the neural networking whachamacallit that they kinda need if they want their artificial humans to have more intelligence than a newborn.

Next episode preview rather pointedly says we're gonna get this explained to us next week, so whatever. Hopefully Shinobu is actually helpful and doesn't dodge around the central plot of this arc for no drat reason.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I dunno, she seemed to be pretty encouraging this episode. :pervert:

In all seriousness, I'm curious how the hell Shinobu got involved with this group. Last we saw she was being taken away to parts unknown and we all assumed we'd get a "save Shinobu" arc or whatever. But now she's involved with yet another morally degraded group of scientists who have no qualms about just up and killing their test subjects when they're no longer useful and honestly I'm wondering why she'd get involved with them considering her track record with artificially created humans so far. Maybe she was a part of their group long before she started to rage against the machine, and they bailed her out of the trouble she was in? Or did they purchase her service in helping to create the neural networking whachamacallit that they kinda need if they want their artificial humans to have more intelligence than a newborn.

Next episode preview rather pointedly says we're gonna get this explained to us next week, so whatever. Hopefully Shinobu is actually helpful and doesn't dodge around the central plot of this arc for no drat reason.

I think that She got nabbed by New Awful Group because she had familiarity with the program they were using to educate the clones and had expertise in the subject. As well as she wasn't really in a position to say "no".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tsuchimikado's sister got me thinking: I want to see representatives of Academy City's vocational schools in action.

Surely some enterprising students have perfected the art of combat plumbing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tarezax posted:

Tsuchimikado's sister got me thinking: I want to see representatives of Academy City's vocational schools in action.

Surely some enterprising students have perfected the art of combat plumbing.

There is at least one combat maid in the LNs.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think Shiobu is the author's after-thought about the person who invented the Testament system. He's just not doing a very good job filling us in on her details. I think she's very interesting, and many of us would like to know more about her.

Maybe we'll get a flashback episode about her? They seem insistent on keeping her around.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

All you people complaining about Misaka not getting help from Kuroko last episode are going to love the new ep :allears:

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Superior episode, the last one is forgiven. It is nice that they're starting to acknowledge in-story just how ridiculously awesome and hardcore The Railgun is becoming :shobon:

Hauweva! Holy loving Kira Jesus Yamato, JC Staff, you have a decent plot idea in here (also I am enjoying being right about a blindingly obvious subtext), so why did you piss away 5 episodes on almost nothing, because they could have been done in three episodes including this one.

(And the Daihaseisai teasing is cruel at this point.)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You know, if your plan is too stupid for KIHARA GENSEI to consider, then maybe you should really think twice about implementing it anyways. Also am I blind or was that him who Mitsuko's father was talking to?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

legoman727 posted:

You know, if your plan is too stupid for KIHARA GENSEI to consider, then maybe you should really think twice about implementing it anyways. Also am I blind or was that him who Mitsuko's father was talking to?

I think that was a different old man. Kihara Gensei doesn't really have any reason to be at an aircraft factory.

Also, did anyone else catch the STUDY people looking at a monitor showing the status of Endymion?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Tarezax posted:

I think that was a different old man. Kihara Gensei doesn't really have any reason to be at an aircraft factory.

Also, did anyone else catch the STUDY people looking at a monitor showing the status of Endymion?

Speaking of which, what happened to it at the end of the movie? It wasn't clear if its gone now or just the station at the end?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Kuroko should let her hair down more and be less crazy.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
So to fight 20,000 remote controlled robots, you use 10,000 Railgun clones and also Uiharu hijacks the entire city's security robot force.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
This was a really good episode, I hope the next ep lives up to the hype built up.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

veekie posted:

So to fight 20,000 remote controlled robots, you use 10,000 Railgun clones and also Uiharu hijacks the entire city's security robot force.
Most of the MISAKAs have been shipped out already so there's probably only a handful left in the city

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Pity. I'd have liked to see Study's faces when 10,000 militarized espers wipe out their 20,000 mecha

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zettace posted:

Most of the MISAKAs have been shipped out already so there's probably only a handful left in the city

That's why they need airplanes. 10001st MISAKA Regiment (Airborne) deployment underway

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

That's why they need airplanes. 10001st MISAKA Regiment (Airborne) deployment underway

If that's what that actually is for, that would be amazing. Though I would doubt this to be the case.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I haven't watched an episode since 18, sounds like I need to catch the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
So, random thought I had this episode: do you think Misaka can defibrillate her own heart like that guy from One Piece?

• Locked thread