Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
When new music comes out on iTunes I usually do a quick browse of stuff that seems like it might be interesting and came across a band called RDGLDGRN that mixes hip-hip with indie music and I think that the result is really good. Their very first full length CD just came out and I think it's incredibly good and worth a look.

Here's a video for one of their best songs from it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_77kwM-BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The AF song is a little long and I'm not sure how it'll fit within the album but it's pretty great and holy poo poo David Bowie

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just hope the new Arcade Fire album is less bloated than The Suburbs. It's not a bad album but it's probably five tracks longer than it needs to be. This single is a good sign, though. Mountains Beyond Mountains was the best track on The Surburbs, and this track reminds me a lot of that one.

(Also, for everyone who didn't like Neon Bible, try skipping the first and last tracks. The album instantly gets better.)

I agree with almost everything here (except the skipping because I don't mind those tracks being there) Neon Bible owns and is their best album

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have been listening to Haim since their first single came out, and god drat are they good! They have a good mix of sounding a little 80's, but still having a modern vibe to all of their songs. I have yet to hear a song of theirs that I DON'T like, and I am eagerly awaiting their album to come out at the end of the month, so much so that I am gonna go out and buy a copy on vinyl, which I haven't done for a new album in....well I don't know how long!

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

lil mortimer posted:

Music video for "Sewn Up" from Cian Ciaran's (Super Furry Animals keyboard player) upcoming LP, They Are Nothing Without Us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep676o0zaaA

Lots of goodies if you pledge some money towards his new one: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/cianciaran

This comes out for Pledgers in six hours. Otherwise, you can buy it online/in stores on the 25th. His first album is marvelous and I expect this to follow suit. He's in Super Furry Animals, but it seems like people only care about Gruff Rhys's solo albums/side projects. I recommend you seek out Cian's first one if you haven't. You can hear a few tracks on his label's Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/cianciaran/you-me

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 8, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gucci void main posted:

I agree with almost everything here (except the skipping because I don't mind those tracks being there) Neon Bible owns and is their best album
They're not bad tracks, just unnecessary ones. The album is tighter and better focused without them, and starting with Keep The Car Running and ending on No Cars Go is more interesting thematically. I just think it makes the album stronger, not that they're bad tracks on their own.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I always felt like Antichrist Television Blues was the clear standout from that album. It's still a really good album (because Arcade Fire are great) but I think The Suburbs would get the nod for having more songs that I really like. They'll never top Funeral, but I certainly don't expect them to, that's a ridiculous task.

Probably listened to the new song 10 times in the last day+ and couldn't be more excited for the new album.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Arcade Fire updated their site with an upside down picture of an ocean and 3 clocks

http://reflektor.arcadefire.com/

Dunno if it's a countdown or what (the leftmost is showing my current time), but there you go, the latest bit of marketing.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The clocks are:
"clock local"
"clock vevoVid"
"clock googleVid"
Beyond that, I dunno, I don't feel like looking through javascript code to see if there's anything more.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
MGMT's new album is streaming here. It reminds me of Animal Collective in a really good way.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Arcade Fire updated their site with an upside down picture of an ocean and 3 clocks

http://reflektor.arcadefire.com/

Dunno if it's a countdown or what (the leftmost is showing my current time), but there you go, the latest bit of marketing.

the single is officially out

https://www.justareflektor.com/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stoops posted:

the single is officially out

https://www.justareflektor.com/
But you can only view it through Chrome? Hahaha, what?

I'm on Firefox and it doesn't do anything for me. There's no play button or anything.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Also, 9/9 at 9pm is a show at that Montreal Salsatheque (for $9!!!) with formal attire required.

Some people are about to have a pretty memorable evening.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Can't remember who posted San Fermin in this thread, but their album is streaming on NPR and I like it.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Here's a second (new) video for Arcade Fire's Reflektor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0fVfectDo

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

nihil morari posted:

This song has grown on me so quickly.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This song has grown on me so quickly.

Same for me. I have heard it three times and I'm hooked. It's got a huge sound. I'm going to stop listening to it now though, so I don't ruin it for the album.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nihil morari posted:

It's like Arcade Fire decided to make a disco song, then it turned out to be three minutes long so they played it two more times.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Can anyone else hear the sample of Neighborhood #1 at the opening of the track?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megazver posted:

It's like Arcade Fire decided to make a disco song, then it turned out to be three minutes long so they played it two more times.

Yeah, it's really repetitive. Good song, but no need for it to be that long if it's not going to go anywhere.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Not very impressed by the new MGMT album. I do like "Introspection" and a couple of others could grow on me, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact they'll never top their first album.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah, it's really repetitive. Good song, but no need for it to be that long if it's not going to go anywhere.

I see this more lyrically than musically, because for the latter it's basically what Arcade Fire normally does, just with a disco twist. The last 2 minutes of the song all groove on that piano line, which is what it's really building up to. I kind of felt the opposite, in that it's a song that's over 7 minutes long and I didn't really seem to notice because I was enjoying it too much.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't disco long and repetitive by its nature? It's dance music. Repetitive is sort of its thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't disco long and repetitive by its nature? It's dance music. Repetitive is sort of its thing.

Oh come on that's a bit of a stretch. It's disco influenced...not a disco song. Plus most disco songs are fine at 3 or 4 minutes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Considering James Murphy produced it, yes its sort of the point. LCD Soundsystem has a ton of very long songs, the short ones being the singles. I think they wanted to go for something along those lines.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm saddened he only did a few tracks and not the whole album :(

e: i'm dumb he did produce the whole double album!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 12, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, Reflektor (the album) is a double album? That's not gonna allay the concerns of everyone who thought The Suburbs was too long.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Anyone want to give Arcade Fire their own thread? Please?

Anyway, here's a new Active Child track – probably his most upbeat to date (f/ Mikky Ekko): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15995-subtle-ft-mikky-ekko/

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're not bad tracks, just unnecessary ones. The album is tighter and better focused without them, and starting with Keep The Car Running and ending on No Cars Go is more interesting thematically. I just think it makes the album stronger, not that they're bad tracks on their own.

Huh, this is actually pretty interesting. I've always been a Neon Bible fan, and do enjoy those two songs, but also can definitely see what you're saying about the benefits for taking them out. I might have to re-listen to the album again like that to see how it feels... thanks for the suggestion!

And yeah, I am a huge fan of AF, James Murphy/LCD and also Bowie - at this point, is there anyone that isn't? - and I've only listened to the new track once, but it was loving killer. Really gets me excited to hear the rest of the album, too, to see how their sound has evolved.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not really. Check out Staying Alive or YMCA or Dancing Queen or Get Lucky - they're all four minutes long, plus-minus a few seconds.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

nasboat posted:

Not very impressed by the new MGMT album. I do like "Introspection" and a couple of others could grow on me, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact they'll never top their first album.
They're trying to evolve their song, but it's just not working considering how great their first album was. I mean, Congratulations was a solid album when taken as a whole, but it just lacked the oomph that the first one had with its singles. This album seems to be in that similar vein off a first listen.

Speaking of bands that can't top their first album, new Fratellis single hit Rdio today and it's alright, but just a bit too bluesy for me. Maybe the rest of the album will hit that high set by their first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMgmadd7vU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Master_Odin posted:

They're trying to evolve their song, but it's just not working considering how great their first album was. I mean, Congratulations was a solid album when taken as a whole, but it just lacked the oomph that the first one had with its singles. This album seems to be in that similar vein off a first listen.
As someone who thought the first album was kind of inconsistent outside of the singles and loved Congratulations, I'm really happy with this new album ^:shobon:^

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

The worst part is that (embarassingly) I later discovered that "Introspection" is actually a a cover of a Faine Jade song from 1968.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
MGMT has gotten better every album. I'm really curious about what they'll do next because, really, where else could they possibly go?

MGMT x Flaming Lips x Tame Impala hip hop album

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't think anyone's mentioned that Grouplove's new album comes out next week, so I'll say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGvHnDeS12o

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging
I'm pretty excited about the new album.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
I have tickets to see them at the Troubadour next Tuesday. I can't wait for this new album.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Indie rock is dead http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kChGBKuJt6Q

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm one if those that really liked MGMT's first album but didn't really get into Congratulations, and it sounds like the new one is going to be just as out there as the last one was. If I remember correctly, a lot of the songs on Oracular Spectacular were made back in their college days before they were signed and that they were pressured into putting them on the first album instead of their newer material which they were happier with because the early stuff was more dance-y and mainstream, so Congratulations was them doing their own thing to get "revenge".

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm one if those that really liked MGMT's first album but didn't really get into Congratulations, and it sounds like the new one is going to be just as out there as the last one was. If I remember correctly, a lot of the songs on Oracular Spectacular were made back in their college days before they were signed and that they were pressured into putting them on the first album instead of their newer material which they were happier with because the early stuff was more dance-y and mainstream, so Congratulations was them doing their own thing to get "revenge".

That would make a bit of sense, even only taking Oracular Spectacular into account, the singles sound a lot different from the rest of the album. One review on Wikipedia states that Congratulations sounds a lot like the second half of Oracular Spectacular, and I couldn't agree more except that the songs on Congratulations tend to be a tad bit more expansive in their experimentation. I like Kids and Time to Pretend (I could take or leave Electric Feel), but that stuff just sounds...off compared to about every other song on even Oracular Spectacular. Meanwhile the Handshake or Of Moons, Birds, and Monsters would sound right at home on Congratulations. It's really just a question of taste, some people prefer the poppy stuff of the singles, others prefer the more experimental/psychedelic stuff. I'm part of the latter, and if you are part of the former...well, Kids and Time to Pretend are still great songs, but I doubt they'll be going back to that stuff (though Your Life is a Lie is kind of in that direction compared to Flash Delirium).

I'm really looking forward to the album, which I'll buy next week. I've heard Your Life is a Lie enough and am not too thrilled with it, but everything else I've heard is pretty legit. Alien Days is amazing and has me really excited this will be at least as "out there" as Congratulations was.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So I've been obsessively listening to Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight and good god does it hold up. And its maybe due to a feverish reaction to a dozen re-queing of "Give a Little Love", but this might be the most coherently told narrative in an album that I can think of.

From "Silver Lining" all the way to the last track, among its plunking of guitar pop and blues heaviness, a story of a prostitute singing about her lover/pimp who's just passed away settled into my mind. "Silver Lining" is the woman, now much older, talking about her man needing her as a silver lining but now's she's gold, she's whole. "Close Call" is about her origin, as "a daughter of gypsies" who ran away to pickpocket and sell sex for money. "Moneymaker" is about a scounderel selling her for money, "15" is about when they met, and how she used him as much as he did her. "Breakin Up" and "Dreamworld" is about her leaving him after getting pregnant, and also incidental details about his poor upbringing and PTSD from fighting war overseas.

And "The Angels Hung Around" and "Give a Little Love" is about her coming to visit him, only he's already died and is being buried. And being happy to have had the chance to love him and move on with her life.

Sorry about the rambling, but my god do I love this album, even if my posts are reminiscent of Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've been tearing through The Fresh and Onlys

Kinda surfy folksy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnDUhQbeKM

Also 2nd best RK song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSv-tjZvQM

The Frug of course is the best :colbert:

(she cannot do the smurf)

Also we've got the same guitar apparently.