Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Daler Mehndi posted:

:negative:: The anime.

All you need to know about Zambot 3 is that it was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino while he was in one of his moods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with the Eureka 7 movie is that it has a good thesis but it is presented in an absolutely terrible way which undermines the concept. It really hurts it because to work it needs to be as good or even better than the original show and it really really isn't.

This gets at the most baffling thing in the movie for me, I simply don't get why it was made. Pocketful of Rainbows is like a lot of anime movies in that it's aiming to run the same beats and plot points as the series with a different twist to them. The point of these half-remake movies is a certain amount of fan appeal, you get to see the show/premise/characters you like in a new and different way. Let's take Zeta Gundam, A New Translation as an example of the pseudo-recap. Whether you like those movies or not you get why they were made, how they are meant to appeal, and who the target is. In the case of ANT the appeal of seeing the greatest hits of famous Gundam characters and some new character or action scenes with them is incredibly obvious.

A half-remake is there in large part to cash in on the fandom, which is why I don't get the E7 movie. Eureka 7's movie is downright bizarre to me because it feels like a lot of the characterization and story choices were made to intentionally rankle the fanbase. It's not merely that they chose to do things different from the series in the movie, it's that it seems like they chose to make the movie intentionally offensive to the established fanbase by writing a story that is diametrically opposed to the anime series. I just can't fathom the line of thinking that went into the movie. It's one thing to make it a point that these are different people from the series, but it's entirely another to make it a point that these are WORSE people than in the series.

Dr Pepper posted:

All you need to know about Zambot 3 is that it was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino while he was in one of his moods.

Zambot 3 is the series that gave him the nickname "Kill-em-all Tomino". He literally made a point of killing the dog! And incidentally I feel Zambot 3 is one of Tomino's best work. If Zeta or Victory Gundam turned you off his work I do suggest checking it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

This gets at the most baffling thing in the movie for me, I simply don't get why it was made. Pocketful of Rainbows is like a lot of anime movies in that it's aiming to run the same beats and plot points as the series with a different twist to them. The point of these half-remake movies is a certain amount of fan appeal, you get to see the show/premise/characters you like in a new and different way. Let's take Zeta Gundam, A New Translation as an example of the pseudo-recap. Whether you like those movies or not you get why they were made, how they are meant to appeal, and who the target is. In the case of ANT the appeal of seeing the greatest hits of famous Gundam characters and some new character or action scenes with them is incredibly obvious.

A half-remake is there in large part to cash in on the fandom, which is why I don't get the E7 movie. Eureka 7's movie is downright bizarre to me because it feels like a lot of the characterization and story choices were made to intentionally rankle the fanbase. It's not merely that they chose to do things different from the series in the movie, it's that it seems like they chose to make the movie intentionally offensive to the established fanbase by writing a story that is diametrically opposed to the anime series. I just can't fathom the line of thinking that went into the movie. It's one thing to make it a point that these are different people from the series, but it's entirely another to make it a point that these are WORSE people than in the series.

The E7 movie's basic premise was, to some degree, to rankle the fanbase. It was an attack on the idea that all fans want to do is see the same stuff regurgitated over and over again and that they will inherently dislike something for being different without judging it on its own quality. The Neverland kids are supposed to represent those kinds of fans who won't accept something different. (And it's a very literal depiction. They are literally adults who are also children, desperate to return to the old world they preferred.) The idea behind the film is "something can be different from what you're used to but that isn't the same as it being bad."

The problem, as I said, is that they failed at making it a good movie. It rankled the fanbase as it intended to but then it failed to stand on its own two legs and that is basically the worst thing it could have done. Since it isn't a good movie on its own merits the basic thesis ends up worthless and so the only thing it does is take familiar and likable characters and make them unfamiliar and unlikable.

Omnicrom posted:

Zambot 3 is the series that gave him the nickname "Kill-em-all Tomino". He literally made a point of killing the dog! And incidentally I feel Zambot 3 is one of Tomino's best work. If Zeta or Victory Gundam turned you off his work I do suggest checking it out.

To be honest, Zambot 3 is severely kill 'em but not kill 'em all. The Zambot secondary pilots (and the dog) die, but most of Kappei's extended family safely gets away prior to the final battle and Kappei himself survives.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 19, 2013

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wasn't Kill Em All Tomino for Ideon?

Because it probably should have been, if not.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Hellioning posted:

Wasn't Kill Em All Tomino for Ideon?

Because it probably should have been, if not.

I believe he started to get that reputation before Ideon, that series just cemented it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Son Ryo posted:

Well, that's completely awesome. Guess I'd better check that out then.

MNeidengard's guide is being used only as a basis now - starting on the later missions, with Caphi's help, I've expanded much of it adding in story details and/or translations (also, as the LP went along, I've gotten more used to translating stuff on my own).

Now, I'm in the midst of both doing the new game+ missions and updating the older missions to follow the new standard - hopefully, it'll all be consistent at the end.

As for Z, it'll be a joint effort of myself, Caphi and Dr. Pepper and we'll be doing our best to keep it at the same level of quality as Z2!

Rabidredneck posted:

I believe he started to get that reputation before Ideon, that series just cemented it.

And then he went on to make Zeta and Victory Gundam... :unsmigghh:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 19, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

And then he went on to make Zeta and Victory Gundam... :unsmigghh:
And Aura Battler Dunbine. A series that ends with only Cham, the little fairy companion to Shou, surviving the Byston Well's destruction. And she only survived because Tomino had a soft spot for her voice actress.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

And Aura Battler Dunbine. A series that ends with only Cham, the little fairy companion to Shou, surviving the Byston Well's destruction. And she only survived because Tomino had a soft spot for her voice actress.

And then he did that other series with the world introduced in Dunbine! Who could ever forget Garzey's Wing?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Genaro posted:

And then he did that other series with the world introduced in Dunbine! Who could ever forget Garzey's Wing?

I'd been trying to you bastard!

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Genaro posted:

Anyone who's seen it. Sorry, I meant everyone who's ever suffered through that.....abomination. But Tomino recovered right? Didn't he make something after that? I think it was Brain Powerd but I'm not at all sure.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SaitoBatch posted:

Anyone who's seen it. Sorry, I meant everyone who's ever suffered through that.....abomination. But Tomino recovered right? Didn't he make something after that? I think it was Brain Powerd but I'm not at all sure.
Garzey's Wing, for all of the flaws per second it has, gets a few respect points from me because it was indeed Tomino's first major project after recovering from his worst bout of depression. Seriously, Tomino was a mental wreck during Victory Gundam, and it shows in his work. And yes, Brain Powered was Tomino's second post-depression project. And no, it's not Tomino's response to Evangelion like about a million people think it is. It's...well, it's...Tomino getting back into doing a full series again for one thing. And...it's a weird series, to say the least.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Garzey's Wing, for all of the flaws per second it has, gets a few respect points from me because it was indeed Tomino's first major project after recovering from his worst bout of depression. Seriously, Tomino was a mental wreck during Victory Gundam, and it shows in his work. And yes, Brain Powered was Tomino's second post-depression project. And no, it's not Tomino's response to Evangelion like about a million people think it is. It's...well, it's...Tomino getting back into doing a full series again for one thing. And...it's a weird series, to say the least.

It does have one thing in common with Evangelion (and Victory Gundam, for that matter:) the opening is a lying liar that lies.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

That still doesn't explain why, if Chip and Ironicus' Anime Theatre of it is any indication, Tomino apparently forgot how to let a story take a breath for even a millisecond when he made Garzey's Wing.

Honestly - the hilariously terrible dub (WE MUST SOMEHOW EXTRACT OURSELVES FROM THIS CONVOLUTED SITUATION!! :gonk:) certainly did it no favors, but I still have no idea what Tomino was on when he made it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That still doesn't explain why, if Chip and Ironicus' Anime Theatre of it is any indication, Tomino apparently forgot how to let a story take a breath for even a millisecond when he made Garzey's Wing.

Honestly - the hilariously terrible dub (WE MUST SOMEHOW EXTRACT OURSELVES FROM THIS CONVOLUTED SITUATION!! :gonk:) certainly did it no favors, but I still have no idea what Tomino was on when he made it.
Personally, since it takes place in the Byston Well, I feel like someone asked Tomino to do an expanded universe for Dunbine (despite the entire universe being, you know, completely annihilated at the end of Dunbine's movie via the Byston Well itself going thermonuclear) and Tomino decided to nip that in the bud with Garzey's Wing and its terrible pacing and story.

Remember, Tomino's justification for character deaths (back when he was working on Gundam) was to prevent sequels from happening. Garzey's Wing was Tomino taking a different path to sequel prevention. A bizarre and messed up path, but a different path nonetheless. Then again, he did later do Wings of Rean....so....yeah.

Also, anyone who hasn't seen the English dub for Garzey's Wing, go take a moment to watch the first episode and bask in its glory. It is.....an experience.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crowe decides to chase the excitement of rolling with Celestial Being once again. Traia's worked out his new ledger, and a gong sounds to ring it in.

Hold on a sec. What was that?
I brought it in. I thought it'd make you feel a little better.
Okay...
Don't look so glum, Crowe. Esther spent most of her signing bonus on this thing.
...I'm not one to judge how anyone else spends their money, but that seems sort of...
You're not glad?
I didn't say...
Then tell me! I can't tell, I'm just a classless hick girl!
That's not true! I'm happy! I'm bursting with energy!
I'll have that 1,989,990 G back before you can say ka-ching!
That's my Crowe!
Wh-what do you mean, "your"...

Anyway, Crowe's reports on the new Gishin bots and Dai-Gan-Zan came out to 489,990 G (!), leaving him an even 1.5 million G in the red.

It was actually 500,000, but we rounded so the remainder would be even.
Hey, wait! What about the other 10,010?
Oh, no! We're getting some mysterious radio interference!

Give me back my 10,010 G!

Saji wakes up in the hospital, to bad news from his sister: Louise has moved to Spain. Her parents were at that party too, and they didn't make it out, so she's gone home. Besides, in Spain, they have the better means to treat her wounds.

Saji angrily wonders where Celestial Being was when that party got attacked. What are Gundams good for?

Sumeragi gets her Ace Bonus, the last in the game, at long, long, last. It's a good one, though - it doubles the bonus her Command aura grants. Zero's is pretty much always going to be wider, but this ensures that hers is stronger.

We've been having a lot of trouble tracking the Trinities, but Sumeragi has an idea. Though we're always a step behind, she's seeing a pattern to their hits, a suggestion that someone's hand is behind them. So we have a chance to track them, but if this means there's a traitor in Celestial Being's midst...

It's Rome, and Ranka's down. She doesn't know where Alto is, and more importantly, she has no idea what she can do for him as he fights humanity's enemies. Eida divines that she's having trouble with love, which Ranka stammers is half-right, but cheer up, Ranka, that movie made you a world-famous star. In fact, Ranka's very first real live performance is coming up in a couple of days, and she has to rest and rebalance herself by then. "If I'm not having fun," explains Eida, "how do I make the audience have fun? That's an idol's job."

Despite that, Eida's having the same issues as Ranka - she's lovestruck and she can't let anyone know! But she's got a date with the man, and here he...

Oh, Johnny. Try asking Aoi how to properly deal with stalkers. He cagily explains that he's doing some nonspecific business for the U. N., along with one of their pilots. As for why he's brought Alto with him, it was Eida's idea to set it up. Oh, but she's been looking into Ranka, as she said, and planned this ever since she found out who Ranka liked, and that Johnny and Alto knew each other. Alto is in no mood for a double date, but that's okay - Johnny and Eida leave them to it.

Welp. Ranka apologizes over and over again, but Alto doesn't see what for. By the way, he got to see Bird-Human - her acting needs work, but her expression was lovely. And now she's debuting with the movie's theme, isn't she? Actually, Ranka starts to say she's starting with another song, but...

Oh man. This is Yasaburo Saotome, Alto's brother, who Alto doesn't seem that happy to see. He's still with the kabuki clan that Alto fled after falling out with their father. He compliments Alto on his moves in the movie, stunt work or otherwise, and mentions Alto's career as a pilot.

Alto says it's his decision, and Yasaburo suddenly turns serious and calls him a liar. There's a reason he brought up the movie - he could tell that Alto isn't done with theater. He's playing a role even now - the role of a boy who went off to pilot to spite his dad. But Alto has "the blood of an actor, like a curse," and Yasaburo, in whose veins it runs weaker, can't stand to see him waste his talent.

Smirking again, Yasaburo adds that Master Ranzo, their dad, isn't looking great lately. Alto should probably visit him sometime soon, yeah? He walks off, leaving Alto to fume.

Then Michel calls to let Alto know that he's been requested as a bodyguard. Alto snaps that Touga or Shinn could do it, but Michel rightly suspects he'll change his tune when he learns who the client is - Sheryl Nome herself.

Alto wants to know why the hell she called him out specifically. Sheryl says she was just thinking might cheer up if he got a nice peaceful fly. He can deny it, but she knows he's not over what happened at the party - and she wants to remind him that the same thing would happen to other people if he died... "you don't want to make Ranka sad, do you?"

Sheryl, however, has faith that her charm will see him through, and it does make Alto feel better. Just then, Sheryl winces in pain, but it passes and she insists it was nothing. If anything, it means she expects him to take good care of her for the upcoming U. N. concert.

The concert is also the news of the day for the Frontier. It's being held at a base which, like the S. M. S., broke off from the Frontier to join in the World Fair, and belongs to the Marines 33rd, a Zentraedi regiment. Klan knows them, too. Where she and her team joined the humans at the beginning of Interstellar War I, the 33rd was among those who held out and were taken in after the conflict. The two extremes have been at odds since, and she can't speak much for them as soldiers, either, going so far as to call them a shame on the Zentraedi. What are they doing helping the Earth's government? And why did Earth accept? Cathy says she'll do some digging, since she's curious too - and there's still the matter of what appeared to be Fold technology in the Limonesia quake.

While they're here, though, Cathy asks if Ozma's seen the movie yet? Ozma flips out and yells that he refuses to see it ever.

Statler and Waldorf here figure he just really, really doesn't want to see that kiss. Sirius and Witz know exactly how he feels, while Pierre sees a chance to go for Cathy while Ozma's mind is full of his sister. Speaking of Ozma and Cathy, Luca points out that despite being suspiciously close, they don't date or spend time together or anything. Crowe suspects they were separated at birth, but Kei immediately grasps the real answer: they're former lovers.

And what about Alto, who has his pick of Sheryl or Ranka? It seems like Sheryl actually engages him, though, and she's got him right now, in fact.

By the way, the Frontier is approaching the base...

where Alto's already arrived and met up with Major Ogatai, commanding officer of the 33rd. He's hoping that Sheryl's arrival will settle his troops down. Their Zentran blood is boiling with the Imperium on the march, and they're anxious to get an earful of Protoculture.

When Sheryl steps out, they're all excited, except this rear end in a top hat. And when Sheryl's headache attack strikes again, he smugly declares that she's refusing to to perform for Zentran. Ogatai tries to explain, but Temzin's already rallied the troops, and the mad Zentran take Alto and Sheryl as prisoners.

They're demanding ships from the Frontier fleet. It's obvious this coup was planned, and it's almost like they had insider information to set it up - but we don't have the luxury of worrying about that. The important thing right now is saving Alto, Sheryl, and the techs. But now that the Zentran are mobilized, the base is virtually impregnable.

Ranka enters with what she thinks is a way in. Ozma doesn't like it, but he's the one that taught her to live without regrets, and she knows she's going to regret it if she can't go to Alto. She has to at least try.

Alto is pretty mad at Sheryl for pushing herself, and Sheryl gasps out that she has no excuse, except that all she has is to sing, the way Alto has to fly.

Oh yeah, Alto remembers that he has to fly. He leaves Sheryl to Grace's care...

Chapter 34: Memorial Debut
(Celestial Being route)

Ogatai asks if Temjin thinks he can really strike out into space alone? That's a stupid idea! Temjin agrees, but there happens to be a lovely little home where they can slake their "Zentran thirst" right here. The Zentraedi ruled the universe before the Miclones came, and they can do it again! All the other Zentran are behind him.

And by the way, "the Producer," who arranged this for him, has just let him know that a rat has escaped the trap.

But Alto makes it to his Messiah just in time. Temjin welcomes the chase and sends his men to hunt him down.

Alto's willing to play along - he's going to protect the stage crew, especially Sheryl!

I'm not gonna die here! I haven't flown my fill yet!

Not looking great...

Alto manages to survive the turn.

He learns Assail on the next one...

And quickly fights off Temjin's guard.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1406926/20130908155221.avi_snapshot_00.00_[2013.09.08_15.52.38].jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately, it was just the guard, and now Temjin himself has come to make it more interesting with the entire rest of the 33rd. "Maybe you wanna sing me a song?" he smirks. "That might actually stop us."

Suddenly, Michel's VF flies in, and...

Hold me to the edge of the galaxy!

Michel drops Ranka, and she starts singing her new song, Interstellar Flight.

The Zentran are moved by the sudden appearance of music (and unexpected front-row seats to Ranka Lee's debut), and Alto by Ranka putting herself on the front lines.

And GOONZ is here to save the day, too!

Half the 33rd lay down their weapons. The Frontier crew is almost surprised that worked, and Sumeragi is actually surprised. Is Ranka the second coming of Minmei? Ozma finds himself forced to accept that Ranka is actually growing up. On the flip side, Ranka's song is lighting a fire in GOONZ' pilots.

Of course, Temjin isn't about to give up, and he whips his elites back into shape. Like his predecessor, he has absolutely no qualms about shooting anyone who dares turn their back on him, friend or foe, and they know it.

Michel's job is to hold position and defend Ranka.

The Zentraedi formation moves in.

Hey, this isn't a bad tune!
Hey, you big bullies! There's a lot more to life than war! Try it sometime!

You're standing witness to the birth of a star and all you can think about is shooting guys?
You don't think that's lame? You don't get to hear a performance like this every day!

Kind of a girly song, but I dunno, just listening's getting me pumped!
All right! Hold me to the edge of the galaxy! Winkle!
Apollo...

I really like this song.
Wow, it's hard to get that out of you.
Yeah... but this song is making me happy.
Battle Touga is actually smiling...
Yeah, this is some song...

Hey, Zentraedi combat data. That'll go for a solid price.
Though actually, I might get more for footage of Ranka's live debut.

A great power, great enough to change the world...
Perhaps this song, too, is Gundam...

How can you fight with this music around you?
You really want to fight that much? Fine, I'm happy to oblige!

This is Ranka's song...
Ranka... you've found your own path...
Then I'll protect you! I'll take on anyone who tries to stop you from singing!

By the way, we have to take down Temjin to progress...

(And Setsuna got Spirit.)

Give up! You've already lost!
Shut up, shut up, shut up! You can't give me orders!
Culture! Music! Screw it! Zentraedi live to fight! It's in our blood!
The blood of an actor, like a curse... he can't escape his lineage either.
That's what we were made for! We can't live any other way!
Blood of an actor? I don't have to let that control me!

Back to the "action."

I understand if it was the first time the Zentraedi encountered culture, but they can still be moved by this song after living with humans this long...
Is there something supernatural about her song?
No... that's not the point, is it?

Snipe.

And we get to see Aoi go wild.

(This song... is making me feel strange...)
(I know what this is... it feels like when I called out from the Vicinity mine to my friends on the moon.)
(I can feel my heart reaching out... it feels... it feels wonderful!)

Not bad... kinda sugary, but it works for me!
We don't get shows like this that often... so let's dance!

This is nice. I wish everyone were here to hear it.
(Lacus... this is just how I felt when you sang at Orb...)
(Someday, I hope you sing a song of peace again...)

Tenacious bastard.

Alto finishes him for an ISC unit. Temjin croaks that the universe isn't big enough for two races, then explodes, unejected.

Then Alto goes to chew out Ranka for doing something stupid, but she brightly says she wanted to make sure we heard her song. Especially Alto.

So why don't you think about why she'd do that?
...Ranka... thanks.
Well, you're always there to save me...
Well, you saved me this time. Thanks a lot, Ranka.
That was a fantastic show, Ranka.
Sheryl! Are you feeling okay?
You think I could sleep through a song like that?

Grace is disappointed that it didn't go according to script, but oh well.

Suddenly, fire rains down on the field, taking out all the Zentran!

Oh, those bastards.

Sumeragi shouts that the Zentran had surrendered, but you know, they don't care. In fact, they were warned of this coup by their new friend, the Producer. They were getting sick of being bossed around by Celestial Being higher-ups anyway, especially when we appear to answer to nobody.

Nena moves in on Ranka, who's been annoying her particularly badly...

But the Daigun takes the hit!

Run, Ranka...
Is that pilot...

But we have more incomings from above!

Well, crap. It's Tifa's first encounter with the Vajra, and something about them pings on her Newtype senses. They're all as one? The Trinities piss off, Nena cursing at the Daigun, who leaves as well. It's just us left to handle the Vajra, and this time they're even stronger than the last.

Ozma orders Alto and Michel to defend Ranka and Sheryl. VFs are equipped with a copilot seat, and each of them can hold one girl, so Alto gets first pick. He chooses Sheryl, four to four (I get to cast the tiebreaker!), and Michel picks up Ranka.

So it's open season on Vajra at the end of turn 4 out of 6, and Crowe learns Assail.

The Vajra are not only tough enough to weather all but the strongest hits, they're smart enough to target the toothless Ptolemaios.

Ugh...
Take it easy, Sheryl! Close your eyes if you're scared!
Honestly, just who do you think I am?
Sheryl...
If you have time to worry about me, go hunt down all those creatures!
Yes'm! That's just what I want to hear from Sheryl Nome, Galactic Fairy!

Anyway, we are overpowered, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45zd0cbXeWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcTp9TP-g-A

Here are some videos of my favorite super robots...

And here's the Spirit rundown. (Bobby gets Luck, Runa gets Fury.)

And GOONZ is victorious by the end of turn 5.

It's not theoretically surprising that the Vajra can Fold into atmosphere, but we've only encountered them in space so far - what changed?

Grace is very happy. Her plans have just received a pleasantly surprising surge now that the Little Queen has the ants dancing to her tune. "Let me show my gratitude by granting you your wish. The whole world will hear your song."

The battle is over, but Sheryl is still miffed at the interruption to her show. But Alto turns her attention to the clear, shining sky. Does she remember at the shoot when she reminded him how he loved flying? That's what gave him the courage to fly in her defense now. It doesn't matter if today's stage was a bust - just pick yourself up and take off again.

The Vajra are attacking the surface now; just another problem on the long list of space monster plagues contributing to the chaos in the world. But the flip side of that is that as GOONZ, it's in our power and our duty to protect the world from all of them - says Alto, uncharacteristically. Speaking of Alto, has he picked a girl yet? He can't just have two world-famous singers on his arms forever. Alto tactlessly insists he's "picking" neither. Sheryl basically just follows him around, and Ranka is too busy dealing with her brother to have any attention for him.

Okay, wow. (But Michel and Mizuki can see he's still putting up an act.)

And then Luca bursts in, yelling that we really need to see this video on the internet...

Okay, important questions: who took this video, and why did they upload it? Whatever's going on, Ranka's name just went superviral, and worldwide - her true debut, in a way.

Despite Ranka wandering into danger on her day off, her manager, too, is enjoying the tidal wave of free publicity - and she did it to save her friends, which is very noble of her. But then, she's just given up all her chance to rest. With that video, she's got publicity requests pushing down the door. She'd really better cheer up by tomorrow. That's when the real work starts.

But now that she's sure Alto prefers Sheryl, how can she? Can she even sing in this state?

A strange little creature snuggles up to her, as if to try to comfort her. And despite everything weighing on her mind, it does cheer her up a little, and she starts telling it the whole story.

Having favored Sheryl, Alto gets us one of her CDs. Personally, I think it's a better piece of equipment - SP regen rather than accelerated PP gain from Ranka's. Of course, the CD isn't the whole secret. Not to have caused hype for nothing, but the payoff comes much later - though you do have to do this chapter to have the chance.

And that's it. Next chapter, we've finally got our showdown with the Trinities!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well. That was a silly chapter. Looking forward to mashing the trinities, though, pricks that they are.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Caphi posted:

Oh Setsuna, you never cease to be hilarious. I got some of these lines when I played, but it's nice to have a better idea of what's going on.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Caphi posted:

I busted out laughing at this.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Caphi posted:

Hey, Zentraedi combat data. That'll go for a solid price.
Though actually, I might get more for footage of Ranka's live debut.

If it got Setsuna to notice it, I dare say Crowe's probably right there.]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Caphi posted:

Setsuna is the gift that never stops giving.

Also I love how Kamille literally just tells the player not to think about it too hard.

EDIT: why did i make this

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 10, 2013

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Never change, Setsuna. Never, ever change :allears:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I think we can guess who uploaded that video. Crowe isn't particularly subtle at times.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I have to agree with Aoi - Ranka's songs are too sweet for me; I'll take Sheryl's tunes any day, if I had to choose between the Frontier singers.

Nevertheless, this one is my favorite of Ranka's songs:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a big fan of this whole Celestial Being crew, but that Setsuna line was almost worth it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Caphi posted:

Kind of a girly song, but I dunno, just listening's getting me pumped!
All right! Hold me to the edge of the galaxy! Winkle!
Apollo...

Oh, God, Apollo. I can actually see him pulling off the signature twinkle in my mind. And Aquarion doing the same. Its like something out of the series (with a bit of EVOL's wierdness thrown in).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Materant posted:

I think we can guess who uploaded that video. Crowe isn't particularly subtle at times.

I thought it was Grace, as her last comment implied. Crowe is more likely to haggle with a network for the footage than just upload it for free to the internet.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Is it just me, or is Nia much less obnoxious in here than in the show?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wounded Land posted:

Probably a lot easier to be less obnoxious when the game's forcing her to share screen time with characters from like 10 other series worth of characters and you can't hear her voice at all...

Although personally, I never found Nia obnoxious in the show so what do I know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wounded Land posted:

The same can be said of most characters.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Caphi posted:

A great power, great enough to change the world...

Oh Setsuna :allears:

This is why I love Gundam 00 and Setsuna so much. Please never stop Setsuna!

Oh yay, finally we can deal with Trinity jackasses. I expect the complete and total :black101: of the Trinities, Caphi. I will wait for that day patiently.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GodofDiscord posted:

Oh yay, finally we can deal with Trinity jackasses. I expect the complete and total :black101: of the Trinities, Caphi. I will wait for that day patiently.

Well the day we finally put a fork in those bastards is coming, but it can't come soon enough.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Saji's made it all the way to Madrid just to be with Louise. Aww! He figures school's a moot point with all the fuss Euphemia's kicking up in Area 11 (more on that later). Besides, he's finally bought those couples' rings he was delivering pizzas for! He hands them over to Louise, and she loves them, really she does, but... she's lost her left hand.

Louse tells him to return to Area 11. He doesn't want to leave her alone. But while she's really glad he came, she knows he has to stay in school if he's going to go up to space. She doesn't want his future ruined on her account. Saji's dream coming true is her dream - she wants him to go and follow it, for her.

Once again in Paris, Kinue and Isabelle are sharing notes. Kinue, at least, has realized that the Gundams that attacked the party are a separate faction from the ones affiliated with GOONZ, and she wants to know who's behind it all. It's probably the easiest way to get to the bottom of Celestial Being itself.

Isabelle agrees. GOONZ' Gundams are changing course in response to the world changing around them. If the other three Gundams are sticking to the original plan, following them should be a more direct path to Celestial Being itself. And Kinue has a lead on them from the Britannian soldiers who fought them. She can't say what over this line, but she thinks the name it points to is a good place to start looking.

Isabelle warns her not to get herself into trouble because she's mad at them for hurting her brother. But, Kinue tells herself at least, no risk, no reward. And it's going to be risky all right, because the name she got from that Britannian pilot was Laguna Harvey, head of the Linear Train project and one of Axion's fiercest financial rivals. But she's determined to use the might of the pen in the name of everyone whose lost something to the Gundams - including her brother's love.

Alejandro's giving Ali his orders, and while Ali has nothing against them, he's pretty impressed that Alejandro can just drop Laguna Harvey. Alejandro coolly responds that Harvey was useful for a time, but he has no place in the ruling class of the new world order. Ali can't argue with that - he took Plus Alpha but couldn't keep a handle on its R-Daigun. It's not like Ali cares about Alejandro's decisions, anyway, as long as he gets to sink his teeth into something bloody. And that's just what Alejandro needs out of him.

One more thing Ali has to bring up, though - there's some woman, a reporter, sniffing around Mr. Harvey. Alejandro leaves her to Ali's judgment, knowing full well what that's going to be.

Ribbons, like Ali, questions the wisdom of getting rid of Laguna Harvey, who, after all, is providing heavy financial backing. Alejandro's judged that the Imperium is stirring the pot much more vigorously than he could ever have imagined. They're advancing to the third phase, and to make that a success, they'll need to jettison any dead weight.

The third phase... leaking plans for an artificial solar furnace to the nations of the world, enabling humanity to band together to wage war against their common enemies. With Alejandro Corner at the helm, naturally. Not Schneizel, nor Treize - they were useful, but temporary allies. The same goes for the Frontier, whose cooperation was brokered through a certain woman. Ribbons comments that he wouldn't have taken her for a talent agent. But of course, Alejandro's greatest and dearest asset is the one who made that possible, Ribbons himself.

"Come," says Alejandro, standing. "We must obtain the key to the final phase of our plan."

"Allow me to guide you," smiles Ribbons.

So they go to take Veda, the quantum computer at the nerve center of Celestial Being, and with it, the whole world.

Tieria discovers some data in Veda's databanks that's been accessed, data locked at security level 7, and more worrying, the system won't allow him to access it.

Meanwhile, Ian explains that the Throne's are mostly built on the same technology as our Gundams, but their GN Drives are slightly different. They use the same solar furnace cores, but theirs, unlike ours, aren't protected by a TD blanket, which limits their operating time. Their furnaces, in short, are inferior - an imitation of the real thing. As if that weren't enough, the GN particles produced by the imitations are basically toxic. Their weapons can cause serious, permanent damage, even cellular degeneration, and they're also spraying those particles all over the place. It's very much as if they're literally spreading death and destruction wherever they go.

It's pretty obvious that someone's stolen Celestial Being's technology and tried to make their own as best they can - and the only known copies of the solar furnace's specs are stored in Veda. And even then, it takes a long time to forge one. Sumeragi realizes that if Veda has been compromised, we'll have to try to carry out the mission without its help.

Crowe tries to join the GOONZmeet, but the Meisters inform him that this is just a Celestial Being meet. Then Crowe makes them an offer they can't refuse - he'll tell them exactly where the Trinities are. See, the Brasta is a Damon hunting machine, and after Crowe let MD escape, he had Traia supply him with tracer beacons. One of those is blinking away on the Thrones as of their appearance last week, and it's still live.

Sumeragi asks Crowe how much he wants. But for once, as much as he appreciates her getting to the point, this one's on the house. Every single person in the room does a double take. Crowe can't really fault them, but he wants something else: to be right by Celestial Being to have a crack at them when the showdown happens. And that's on behalf of the S. M. S. and Team D, as well. They all want to see the Trinities taken down.

Lockon asks if Crowe's still trying to make up for something. Crowe just shrugs and blows it off.

Sumeragi thanks Crowe and asks for a bit of time. The Trinities are, after all, Celestial Being, and not to be challenged to open war lightly.

Setsuna stalks out to cool his head. It can't be easy for him to cope with having to fight other Gundams. He's not sure what to make of the Trinities...

He returns to his lodgings in Area 11 to find Saji, who remembers Setsuna helping with the rescue effort at the party. He explains Louise's trouble. Setsuna asks why she doesn't just get regenerative therapy (which exists, because it's the future!), but Saji explains that something's wrong with the cells around the wound and they won't heal.

Setsuna knows exactly what that means, but it's not over for Saji. He gets a call telling him that his sister's been killed. All he knows is that she's been investigating Celestial Being, and after the party, she thought she knew who was behind it... she must have been killed for what she knew about Celestial Being!

What the hell... weren't Gundams supposed to fight people who start wars?
What are Gundams good for?
No!
What no?
They are not Gundam!

Chapter 35: The Gunpoint of Evil
(Celestial Being route)

The Trinities are basically sitting around bitching about how they don't have any assignments so they have to sit around. Now the Daigun's off somewhere. Hey, wouldn't it be nice if their orders were to chase down and destroy the Daigun?

Oh thank god, Setsuna is here to put a stop to this idiocy.

He opens fire. The Trinities protest that they're on his side, but Setsuna just shouts that they aren't Gundam!

Johan orders the Trinities to return fire, but Tieria joins Setsuna, and so does Lockon, who's come to make sure the other two don't do anything stupid. Well, too stupid.

Johan, the Trinity that doesn't have a head full of bricks, asks if Sumeragi approved this mess. Lockon quotes her orders at him: avoid conflict if you can, but make your own judgment if necessary.

Well, we've judged! We only have to take out one of the Gundam Thrones.

And of the three, only Johan's Throne Ein is equipped with loot to steal - a useful range-extending High-Spec Radar.

I don't like this mech battle at fifty paces. Celestial Being camps out past charge range. We'll let the Thrones come to us.

Like that. En guarde, Gundam Throne Ein!

We have judged you as aberrations in Aeolia Schhenberg's plan.
So we will eliminate you. You are not Celestial Being!

Stupid shield.

Celestial Being is supposed to eliminate arms, even if you're being thickheaded about it. I'm not going to tell you to stop.
But you hurt innocent bystanders. That's a line, and you crossed it!

You are not Gundam! Your actions spread war!
Celestial Being destroys all who spread war!

Setsuna gets the kill, the item, and his second turn. He and Tieria are both surprised that they're working so well together.

Johan and Nena start to join up their big gun. Tieria moves to stop them, and Michel plays guard.

Tieria purges his armor, and all three Thrones are immobilized. He reveals Nadleeh's secret ability: it has a special experimental code, given only to him, that can control any machine under the guidance of Veda! He pronounces the Trinities unworthy of the title of Meister, and raises his hand to execute them.

Suddenly, the lock is opened and the Thrones are free. What does this have to do with the missing data from Veda? Johan orders his siblings to retreat. Of course, both whine, but he says that any more battle between Gundams would impede the Plan. As for us, we surely have higher priorities than the likes of them. "Isn't that right, Lockon Stratos? Or should I say Neil Dylandy?"

Tieria realizes what's at access level 7: data on the Gundam Meisters. Johan goes on to tell Lockon that one of the people he became a Gundam Meister to get revenge on is very close to him. In the revolution of Kurzistan, in which Lockon's parents were killed by guerillas, there was a rebel soldier named Solan Ibrahim. Nowadays, he goes by the codename of Setsuna F. Seiei.

Lockon is stunned, and Setsuna has no words. The Trinities take the opportunity to make their escape. Lockon demands to know if what Johan said was true, but there are more enemies incoming.

drat it. Setsuna recognizes the motion of the custom Enact immediately, and Ali has his eye on Exia. Lockon is willing to put aside the topic for now, but he wants an answer as soon as they're out of trouble. And if Setsuna tries to escape, he'll shoot him down himself.

So we have to fight off Ali's forces, but the challenge is to destroy the man himself, and he flees at 10,000 HP. And obviously, I want the kill to go to Setsuna himself.

One more thing. Remember the MA Ali was using back in the worst chapter, the Agrissa, with the paralyzing plasma field? He's got a few of those with him.

Setsuna opens up the fight.

And in a turn, the rest of GOONZ arrives. Of course, every main character wants a piece of Sachez.

Dammit, Lockon! You were supposed to let me know when you were gonna take out the Trinities!
To be fair, they were going to do it 3 on 3. That's why even I stayed back.
Man, you're paying me for this.
Are you listening?
Sorry. I'm really not in the mood today.
Lockon, man...

:ohdear: But we have PMCs to deal with. Sumeragi orders GOONZ to deal with them as quickly as possible and then get out of dodge.

Yes, ma'am. It takes just about two turns for GOONZ to blast their way across this little island through seventeen mixed Enacts, Helions, and a couple of Agrissa, during which Sachez, despite being very anxious to enjoy himself, doesn't move from his cozy little nest.

That very turn, he finally does, and it's about time, really.

I don't like this, though.

It's been a while, Kurzisi kid! You gotten any better?
Why do you fight? For a god?
Hah! You trying to reminisce? What a stubborn rear end in a top hat!
Live a little! Fight and have a blast!

So now we can finally kill Sachez. I have a feeling I'll have to start montaging it halfway through so he doesn't die early - or worse, flee.

Whoa, never mind, that is way not enough boss HP. I'll probably have to just montage the whole thing.

Sorry, but I'm better at close combat! Let's do that instead!
Shut up, warmonger. I'm not in the mood to play games today.
Aw, don't be like that! Aren't you with that Kurzisi kid?
Kurzis... does he know something about Setsuna's past?
Guess what? I taught him all about murder! And I think I'll give him another lesson!

Cutting it close?

Transforming back and forth, swerving left and right! That's a fun mech you've got!
You're hungry to go against my Orguss' speed? What kind of sick bastard are you?
Oh, you flatterer! You're right, I'm hungry like a wolf!
A wolf, huh? Usually I hunt womens' hearts, but just this once, I'll hunt you instead!

Is he... trying to play with us?
You got me! The battlefield is my playground!
How... how arrogant!
Well, aren't you a gentle soul. It's most fun to kill guys like you last!

There we go! I like the cut of those wild, freestyle moves!
I don't need you to like it, you battle-crazy freak!
Hey, not bad! You read me like a book!
If it wasn't obvious, I really hate guys like you!

You're pretty good, kid! You might actually be a fun fight!
I've... seen someone like him before.
Anyone who enjoys battle is a threat. If we let this man go, there will be terrible consequences!

He doesn't have a pattern! I can't predict his moves!
Step it up, kid! Battle demands you cut loose and give it your all!
You're not gonna threaten me with polite little techniques!
He's fighting like it's a game!
I'll never let anyone like that beat me, no matter who or where!

So I get to go up against a ZEUTH Gundam this time? This should be a blast!
Is he... enjoying the battle?
You got a problem? If you love something, you'll get better at it... that's my secret!
I've... never wanted to fight. I just realized that I have to fight to protect what I love!
I fight to make sure people like you don't get their way!

So this is a ZEUTH super robot! I'm gonna have a lot of fun with you!
He's... very strong!
Whoa! Looks like he can handle Gravion with just that mobile suit!
If he had a powerful machine... maybe a Gundam, we wouldn't have a chance...

This guy really stinks!
I've been fighting wars for a long time, drinking the warm blood of my enemies!
So I guess I've got the smell of blood and death on me!
Nope! That smell isn't on you, it's just you!
A born villain stinks worse than a sewer!

Hey, Dancouga! Today, you're gonna be the losing side of the war!
Watch out, Aoi! He's fighting wildly, just on instinct!
Like a wild animal! That's perfect!
We'll meet this crazy hungry beast like an aggressive, vicious beast and see who gets to eat who!

Aw, isn't that sweet! This pilot's just a bright-eyed little greenhorn!
He's following the VF-25's maneuvers in a mobile suit!
Let me give you a tip, little birdie - top speed isn't what wins you dogfights!

Man... he's even worse than a Damon!
Hey, I don't just charge around blindly like they do. I stop and smell the blood.
That doesn't help your case. The battlefield is not a playground.
I don't make a habit of judging people, but you're a real piece of trash.

Now, to actually finish him,

Setsuna and Lockon are going to cooperate if it kills them.

The pair loot a Quentian Sensor, a high-grade Accuracy part.

Sweep up the remaining couple units. The Ptolemaios crew suspects that PMC didn't come for us, we were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. More pressing...

Lockon wants Setsuna to come with him for a long talk, and Setsuna offers no resistance. Depending on how it shakes out, Lockon may have to exact his revenge, or maybe just say goodbye to Celestial Being. Feldt wails, but Sumeragi gives them leave to handle the situation on their own terms. Lockon asks Tieria and Allelujah to accompany them.

Setsuna doesn't deny that he was a child soldier of the Kurzisi resistance, and Lockon begins to remind us how and why his family was killed in a suicide bombing. It began with the great solar revolution, when the world began to attempt to throw off the burden of fossil fuels. The majority of the benefit went to the largest and richest countries, and remainder - such as the Middle East - were at their mercy. Charlatans and the greedy began to incite rebellion in the name of God, and the Solar Energy War began. Neither side is less at fault than the other - both the crusaders from the chosen lands and the powerful who tried to remake the world in their image were equally arrogant and stupid. Lockon knows the war isn't the work of God or his people, nor even the solar energy project, and certainly not Setsuna, who was just a child being abused by the KPSA, forced into a war he never signed up for. But that won't bring his family back.

That's the world Lockon wants to fix as a Meister, and he's fully aware that he's a terrorist with the rest of them, that he's just causing more destruction. But that's a sacrifice he's willing to make because he believes it's necessary to fix the world, and once the world has changed, and not before, he'll accept whatever judgment he deserves.

Suddenly, before Tieria or Allelujah can react, Lockon pulls his gun on Setsuna. He really wants to shoot him down.

Setsuna says he used to believe in God, was made to believe in God, and also knew there is no God. And the same goes for the man who was the KPSA's leader... Ali al-Sachez. That's why Setsuna showed his face in Azadistan, to see Ali again. To ask him where his God was. And if Ali had no God, Setsuna would know...

Setsuna, just answer me one thing! What do you want with Exia?
To end war.
If I shoot you, you can't do that.
Fine, if you do it for me. Change this twisted world.
But if I live, I will fight.
Not in the name of Solan Ibrahim, but Setsuna F. Seiei, Gundam Meister of Celestial Being.
With your Gundam?
Yes. I am Gundam.
Heh. You're too stupid to shoot. You're way too into your Gundam.
Thank you.
What?
That is the kindest thing you could say to me.
Heh... ha ha ha... hahahahaha!
Heh... heh heh... hahahaha!
...perhaps this is to be human.

Crowe's been tailing them, but he's quick to explain that he's only doing it on Sumeragi's orders, and all he heard was that laughter. He asks Lockon to let him in on the joke, but Lockon, in true Celestial Being style, just says it's a secret.

The rest are pretty relieved when they hear the Meisters made up. They could all have sworn Lockon was seriously going to shoot Setsuna dead. They kind of wish they knew what went down back there, but as a team, there's something between the Meisters they wouldn't understand even if they'd heard it.

But just between Crowe and Lockon, Crowe totally heard the whole thing. It's what he gets, anyway, since he knows Lockon's looked into his background as well. Firebug is another military group with roots in a lot of dark places, and Crowe wonders if Lockon will pull his gone on him, too.

...Nah. Too stupid.
Thank you. That is the least kind thing you could say to me.
I never did like your sense of humor.

Graham and Darryl are visiting Howard's grave. Darryl somberly tells Graham that Howard was grateful to him for the chance to fly a Flag side by side with Graham. Graham promises Howard's grave that he'll push the Flag to its full potential and use it to defeat the Gundam!

Billy Katagiri is behind him, and what's more, he's come with news. Celestial Being's technology's being leaked to the big three. No one knows who or why, but one thing is obvious: the world has gained the power to combat the Gundams.

Welp.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

It takes Camille to make us realize that we've been fighting an arab copy of Yazan all this time...how the hell did I never notice this? :eng99:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 16, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

But just between Crowe and Lockon, Crowe totally heard the whole thing. It's what he gets, anyway, since he knows Lockon's looked into his background as well. Firebug is another military group with roots in a lot of dark places, and Crowe wonders if Lockon will pull his gone on him, too.

...Nah. Too stupid.
Thank you. That is the least kind thing you could say to me.
I never did like your sense of humor.

:unsmith:

I really do like the dynamic between Crowe and Lockon. Doesn't seem like many games of an original character pal up with a licensed one.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Crowe really feels like the sixth ranger fifth meister of Celestial Being at times. It works really well.

Brunom1 posted:

It takes Camille to make us realize that we've been fighting an arab copy of Yazan all this time...how the hell did I never notice this? :eng99:

Gundam repeats its character archetypes a lot, and Ali is something of a middle ground between Yazan and Gym. I wouldn't be surprised if he joined their psychopathic little group when he appears in Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

:unsmith:

I really do like the dynamic between Crowe and Lockon. Doesn't seem like many games of an original character pal up with a licensed one.
Other games do it, just not in the amount that the Z games do with their protagonists. The closest that any other SRW games come to this level are MX, W and L. Kazuma interacts with a good majority of the cast and has a lot of influence on their behavior (see: Flay Allster actually admitting she was a bitch to Kira and Sai and taking steps to redeem herself). Ichitaka has a similar situation that Crowe has here, except Ichitaka's pals are Kouichi Hayase and Shinji Ikari (as they were classmates before Shinji transferred out to kick off Rebuild of EVA), plus Ichitaka takes a page from Kazuma's book and influences a majority of his game's cast. Hugo and Aqua have a close relationship with the Dragonar cast and they become side characters in Hugo and Aqua's story, much like how Kai and the Aggressors filled that role in Second Original Generations.

Other than those three, the only really big original/featured series interaction is in R where the chosen protagonist (Raul or Fiona) convinces Char to abandon his plans for CCA via discussion about how the future turns out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of side characters do, honestly. Setsuko gets a big friendship with Shin and Kamille, Rand hangs out drinking with Gain, the Alpha protagonists get various kinds of friendships depending on the protagonist... it's pretty neat really and it is always disappointing when you get an original who doesn't do it.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Brunom1 posted:

All I want to see is Yazan, Ali and Gauron psycho-broing it up in a SRW. Is that really so much to ask?

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Oh that's right, Setsuna is Sosuke but stupid, I'd forgotten about that. Too bad Ali isn't nearly as freakishly entertaining an enemy as Gauron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of side characters do, honestly. Setsuko gets a big friendship with Shin and Kamille, Rand hangs out drinking with Gain, the Alpha protagonists get various kinds of friendships depending on the protagonist... it's pretty neat really and it is always disappointing when you get an original who doesn't do it.

The Z series in general is very good about setting up it's original protagonists with the licensed characters, more so than the usual "Okay we went to high school with Kouji Kabuto. And that's about it really."

Granted the Z games PERIOD are good with character interaction.

• Locked thread