Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Desert Bus posted:

I dislike Ambrosia Salad quite a bit, and I am pleased that others respond to the worst kind in the same manner I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXBKv-sVrg
I'd eat a l'il heart-shaped dish of that nonsense before I dug into Simply Sara's macaroni Salad. But that's really one of those death or snu-snu decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

SubG posted:

I'd eat a l'il heart-shaped dish of that nonsense before I dug into Simply Sara's macaroni Salad. But that's really one of those death or snu-snu decisions.

ICSA Circus Peanuts

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

D...Divine?!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sjurygg posted:

D...Divine?!

No. Divine ate dog poop on camera. This person is doing something far more disgusting.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Desert Bus posted:

ICSA Circus Peanuts

People actually eat those things? I thought they were just some horrible thing like candy corn or those loving wax lips that nobody actually likes but keep turning up because grandmas buy them or something.

Or those godforsaken banana Runts.

And why can't gelt ever be made out of some decent loving chocolate? I'm not Jewish, but I got that stuff for Christmas like every year as a kid and the chocolate is really awful.

I am so mad about lovely candy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I used to have a friend who loved Circus Peanuts... it was the only candy she ever ate.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Clavietika posted:

I'll be very honest, my aunt makes this thing for potlucks we all call "cookie salad" that has whipped cream or dream/cool whip, mixed with crushed oreos OR those fine chocolate wafers, with crushed pineapple and mandarin orange slices mixed in. It's so good :negative:

That sounds kind of like this thing my friend makes called (I think) chocolate ripple cake.

Basically you layer chocolate cookies and cream then put it in the fridge for a while to set. The cream makes the cookies soft so you can slice it to serve. It tastes okay but it's just diabetes on a plate and the only time I've had it has been at parties when I'm already drunk and the last thing I want to do is eat a plate of cookies. Everyone else at the parties always seemed to like it though.

edit - One time (for Halloween?) my friend made this desert but she put blue food colouring into the cream so everyone who ate it was walking around with blue lips / tongue / fingers all night. And my then-girlfriend reported pooping a particularly vivid shade of blue the next day which caused some consternation until she remembered that she'd eaten dayglo-coloured cookie cake.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I used to have a friend who loved Circus Peanuts... it was the only candy she ever ate.

I see why you're not friends anymore.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

cyberia posted:

...I'm already drunk and the last thing I want to do is eat a plate of cookies.

What is this madness? This makes no sense to me. :colbert:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

I got pallets of this stuff at work.

Makes your food taste like Axe body spray and douchebag.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

.0025% concentration? What is it even for? Aside from making it easier to pop your collar, that is.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NosmoKing posted:

I got pallets of this stuff at work.

Makes your food taste like Axe body spray and douchebag.

WTF? Who would buy this, and why? Are frat boys really keen cooks?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

WTF? Who would buy this, and why? Are frat boys really keen cooks?

Ummmm...it has nothing to do with bros?

The company is Brolite and makes dough additives. I assume the bro comes from brominated flour or something.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My mom wanted to make a "Real Southern" Sunday lunch for my Chinese mother in law. This happened yesterday. Mom put up some amazing sweet corn, black eyed peas, and butter beans these past few months and cooked em up. Picked up some carrots and green peas for home made chicken pot pie, fresh okra for fried okra, she made a pot roast and gravy, white rice, corn bread. It was fantastic. Explained to mom in law this is why Southern people are fat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ummmm...it has nothing to do with bros?

The company is Brolite and makes dough additives. I assume the bro comes from brominated flour or something.

How disappointing. I'll stick with my interpretation that there is a huge range of products aimed at the frat boy market, extending to massive quantities of flour.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
It makes bread slightly yellow.
In that volume it makes several tons of bread slightly yellow.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Very Strange Things posted:

It makes bread slightly yellow.
In that volume it makes several tons of bread slightly yellow.

Yes (but come on, the pallet tag is funny)

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

HUMOR IS NOT LOGICAL. STOP.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Our bread purveyor uses that in his Brioche. Unfortunately, what his brioche actually needs is loving butter, not bro spice.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

In that concentration, why bother with turmeric? Why not just yellow 5? It's not like it's going to add anything to the flavor.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In that concentration, why bother with turmeric? Why not just yellow 5? It's not like it's going to add anything to the flavor.

Looks better on the label? Some people avoid food coloring.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bertrand Hustle posted:

why bother with yellow #5? pretty sure there's an equal amount of "bothering" with any ingredient in an industrial scale mix.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or those godforsaken banana Runts.

What is this heretical poo poo? Banana runts are the best runts.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

What is this heretical poo poo? Banana runts are the best runts.

Banana runts taste like the flavor you'd get if you tried to describe the flavor of bananas to somebody with anosmia and no tongue and told them to synthesize it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In commercial use, Tumeric rarely adds any flavor, it's used for color. If you want to be able to taste it, you need to use a TON of it, like in curry powder.

Am I wrong in thinking that BroSpice is basically an egg replacer? Gives the bread a nice eggy color without all those pricey eggs.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Banana runts taste like the flavor you'd get if you tried to describe the flavor of bananas to somebody with anosmia and no tongue and told them to synthesize it.

:golfclap:

Yeah, those things gross me out, and I like a lot of the Wonka hard candies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You know, I actually like Taco Bell, but this upsets me in a most spergy way:

Some where in Illinois, probably not too far from where Mrs. Gunderson lives.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

You know, I actually like Taco Bell, but this upsets me in a most spergy way:

Some where in Illinois, probably not too far from where Mrs. Gunderson lives.

That has to be one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Even if it has to be a restaurant chain, literally any other chain is better. There's not a Chipotle or anything else there?

OK. I just searched for "mexican" on Google Maps. There are at least ten Mexican restaurants, one being Chipotle, that have higher ratings. :wtc:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Maybe the Star's just a really, really bunk paper. The Toronto Star is trash, and I always thought it was affiliated with the Sun.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

I like those hazelnut things, and those coconut/caramel things. Those 2/$1.00 bags of candy that are everywhere here...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I never said it tasted like a banana, I just said it was delicious. :colbert:

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Taco Bell won because Chipotle doesn't have the crunchwrap supreme and those are awesome. Also fiesta potatoes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Of course Taco Bell won. You can't get a Fiery Doritos Locos Taco Supreme at the local taquería.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Of course Taco Bell won. You can't get a Fiery Doritos Locos Taco Supreme at the local taquería.

Maybe you can't. :smug:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

contrapants posted:

That has to be one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Even if it has to be a restaurant chain, literally any other chain is better. There's not a Chipotle or anything else there?
Newspaper reader polls are depressing. In Vegas, Olive Garden routinely takes Best Italian and Red Lobster Best Seafood. Macayo's, a terrible beans-and-rice Mexican place that makes Chi Chi's look good by comparison, is the perennial Best Mexican. The Las Vegas Review Journal editors got so tired of their terrible readers that they do Editors' Picks too so they can point out where actual good food is.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

Newspaper reader polls are depressing. In Vegas, Olive Garden routinely takes Best Italian and Red Lobster Best Seafood. Macayo's, a terrible beans-and-rice Mexican place that makes Chi Chi's look good by comparison, is the perennial Best Mexican. The Las Vegas Review Journal editors got so tired of their terrible readers that they do Editors' Picks too so they can point out where actual good food is.

I didn't factor in that the people who respond to polls like that tend to be bored, older people who just want a lot of cheap, lovely food.

Last weekend, my mom told me that she hates all the restaurants by her. She just wants "someplace good, like Olive Garden or Golden Corral to move in." She lives on the Jersey Shore. It's practically a law that you can't go more than a mile without hitting an Italian restaurant. It's like the Jersey version of the Eisenhower highways. She'd definitely respond to that poll.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Heading to Chicago in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any places that should not be missed?

I am only sort of traveling on a budget. My friends really want to go to Publican. The only other place we plan to stop at is hot dougs.

We will be seeing some baseball at Wrigley, but staying near river north. Any recommendations?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

beefnchedda posted:

Heading to Chicago in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any places that should not be missed?

I am only sort of traveling on a budget. My friends really want to go to Publican. The only other place we plan to stop at is hot dougs.

We will be seeing some baseball at Wrigley, but staying near river north. Any recommendations?

I'm going next Spring and I was wondering the same thing.
I've been looking at Schwa and one of Rick Bayless's places -Frontera or Topekalabamba.
What's the best way to get into Alinea and is it really worth it?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Artificial banana flavor is actually what bananas tasted like before we bred a sterile variety, and the previous most popular variety(that flavoring is based on) was wiped out by fungus.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Artificial banana flavor is actually what bananas tasted like before we bred a sterile variety, and the previous most popular variety(that flavoring is based on) was wiped out by fungus.

Gonna need a source on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vlex posted:

Gonna need a source on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0URF-hWj4