Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Das Volk posted:

There are hundreds here: http://carinteriors.tumblr.com/

what are all those buttons for :byodood:
Green shell, red shell, banana, lightning bolt, mushroom...
You know, standard stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

DrPain posted:

There was that one time I had to move a Porsche for the first time ever and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where the gently caress that key went.

:negative:
I got my 944 valeted the other day, left it outside the garage and handed them the keys. I then got a phonecall 10 minutes later telling me it wasn't turning over. The 944 has a little fob on the keys which you stick into a slot near the ignition to deactivate the immobiliser. Kind of forgot to mention this...

e: As far as non standard layouts go, my mother's Hyundai iLoad has the indicator and lights stalk on the right, wipers etc on the left, Makes no loving sense to me.

What do you guys prefer, side/headlight controls on the dash or on the indicator stalk? Encountered the dashboard switch for lights on the Vauxhall Corsa C, Volkswagen Polo Mk2f and Porsche 944. I kind of prefer it for some strange reason.

Falken fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 9, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Being what appears to be a Fiat / Abarth of some sort... different ways to make the car catch fire.

Yeah, when you're doing 160 miles per-pffffhahaha. Man, I almost got that out.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Falken posted:

e: As far as non standard layouts go, my mother's Hyundai iLoad has the indicator and lights stalk on the right, wipers etc on the left, Makes no loving sense to me.

That is the standard (and correct) layout for RHD markets like Japan, Korea or Australia.

Why its done differently in the UK is anyone's guess - I think its because the Euro guys are too lazy to switch the stalks over so the Japanese manufacturers often just shrug and use the LHD layout.

e I guess not South Korea, but they typically do set their cars up to suit LHD/RHD

dissss fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Falken posted:

It's not hard. I've been switching between RHD / LHD layouts since I began to drive and I still do it daily.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, this showed up on my facebook feed.

...This is the second time my uncle's managed to do this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Falken posted:

Well, this showed up on my facebook feed.

...This is the second time my uncle's managed to do this.

Did he run out or put the wrong fuel in?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm hoping run out because then this fits with my comedic fantasy that Europe is so far down the road of nanny state that you can't even fill up a car on the side of the road from a gas can without all of the posted warnings around that would normally only be present within a gas station.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm hoping run out

[img-US-in-20-years-australia-in-2]

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Did he run out or put the wrong fuel in?
Petrol into a TDI.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I can't find the headlight switch on a modern car :qq:

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

wallaka posted:

I can't find the headlight switch on a modern car :qq:

What in the hell is this craziness?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My wife's mother has a new Mercury something or another. She didn't get a manual with it. She'd had it for a couple of weeks and broke down. A police officer let her know that she should have the hazards on. She replied that she couldn't find them. He told her to try pushing the button with the hazards symbol on it. "Oh, that's not a button, that just tells you it's on!" "Push it anyway." "Oh, so that's how you turn them on...."

To be fair, it doesn't click like a mechanical button, and looks exactly the same as the indicator lights on either side.

I found it in about thirty seconds because I push EVERY BUTTON and turn EVERY KNOB on every car I get in, if I think I can get away with it. It took me about 45 seconds to figure out how to get the Prius to go, however.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

johnny sack posted:

Citroen

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

johnny sack posted:

Fond memories.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My wife's mother has a new Mercury something or another. She didn't get a manual with it. She'd had it for a couple of weeks and broke down. A police officer let her know that she should have the hazards on. She replied that she couldn't find them. He told her to try pushing the button with the hazards symbol on it. "Oh, that's not a button, that just tells you it's on!" "Push it anyway." "Oh, so that's how you turn them on...."

To be fair, it doesn't click like a mechanical button, and looks exactly the same as the indicator lights on either side.

I found it in about thirty seconds because I push EVERY BUTTON and turn EVERY KNOB on every car I get in, if I think I can get away with it. It took me about 45 seconds to figure out how to get the Prius to go, however.

I don't have hazards :saddowns:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

leica posted:

After riding motorcycles for three years in Japan, coming back here was a nightmare and I haven't been riding since :(
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that anyone riding a motorcycle in the US (including myself) is an idiot. I really should sell this dumb bike buuuuuut I'm an idiot and enjoy it too much.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

God, I love old Citroen interior design. :allears: It's like someone looked into the pages of Flash Gordon and said, "drat, that's a good idea".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I was driving a Mercedes R230 recently, just tooling around trying to get emissions monitors to set, and the thing had the cruise control on a stalk right where the turn signal stalk is on everything else, so every time I tried to signal a right turn the van would make a bumpy acceleration hop. The turn signal stalk was hiding several inches back and down in exactly the same plane, so the cruise stalk was hard to avoid even when I remembered it was not the right thing to nudge. The gearshift was the stalk on the right, but instead of the column shifter you might be expecting, it was "bump Up for Reverse, Down for Drive, and Press In Towards Column for Park". I have no idea where the wipers were.

My point here is that anyone who learned to drive on that thing would probably look at a normal car's layout in :psyduck:-grade terror. It has a button that does nothing but open the rear windows (both of them, no option) and a button next to it that closes them. Sounds okay, yeah? Thing is, the "Close" button also opened them, like a lift with a lone "Up" button and right next to it a normal set of "Up" and "Down" buttons. Also, neither button worked unless the vehicle was parked, due to the extreme danger of opening or closing a window while moving.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Falken posted:

I got my 944 valeted the other day, left it outside the garage and handed them the keys. I then got a phonecall 10 minutes later telling me it wasn't turning over. The 944 has a little fob on the keys which you stick into a slot near the ignition to deactivate the immobiliser. Kind of forgot to mention this...

Is this an 80s euro thing? My old eurospec e30 had the same type of thing (except it was near the radio) and I had so many shops get confused by it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Those single spoke steering wheels make me feel vaguely uncomfortable when I look at them. :ohdear:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

Those single spoke steering wheels make me feel vaguely uncomfortable when I look at them. :ohdear:

I just had to go check but our Magna had / has (Car's long dead but still here) a single spoke wheel. The stereo controls were on the center of the wheel too. Also of not it didn't have stalks. It had a couple of big lumps sticking out each side of the column. There was a tab for the indicator, and knobs for other functions. It also had a slider with a needle for climate control on there too... oh and cruise control. Essentially they crammed everything on to those square protuberances.

Found a photo of the same model, rehosted.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If dead brained driving is par for the course here, there is an intersection near my work (which shares an entrance with the local Wal-Mart), which I've had probably 90% of my close calls in the last 6 months at this one intersection. This one:

Basically, two left turn lanes, which immediately lead into a left right 's'. Problem? That first entrance in the bottom corner there goes to Wal-Mart, so half of the dopes around here will sit in the outside lane, and either swing into the inside lane while making the left, or just barge over into the right hand lane in the middle of the 's' so they can make the turn into Wal-Mart. Since my work is at the other end of this plaza, I usually stick to the outside lane, but I've had countless near-misses of people just barging over and not knowing they're suppose to stay in their lane. One of particular note was a lady who I honked at for nearly putting me up the curb, who then proceeded to stay in the left lane all the way to the end of that road, then turn around and go all the way back to get to Starbucks (in the plaza on the corner in that picture).

Terrible Ohio drivers aside, that intersection is poorly designed. It's impossible to see people coming around that s bend if you are trying to pull out of the Wal-Mart parking lot from that entrance (which is why I avoid it). Oh, and no, you can't just turn right and go out that way, because this intersection is the only way in and out of the shopping complex.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think I've ever been through a double turn lane intersection in any kind of traffic without seeing at least one person fail to stay in their correct lane. It's loving pandemic.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Maybe I'm a little daft, but it took 4 of us a minute or two to find the lock button in a new 5-series last week.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also doesnt it only lock all 4 doors if all the doors are already shut? I seem to recall being unable to hit the lock button and get out, having to do it with the remote once I was outside.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I have three settings for my lights:

1) Low beam on, cluster lights off
2) Parking lamps on, cluster lights on
3) Low beam on, cluster lights on

If the engine's on, at least some kind of outside illumination is happening. Originally position 1 is supposed to turn everything off, but this is the EU, son! We can't allow that kind of thing!

Also, I can't turn on my rear fog light without turning on the front fog lights as well :france:
My car has four settings for the lights:
1) Off
2) Parking lights on, cluster lights on
3) Low beams on, cluster lights on
4) High beams on, cluster lights on

I have two settings for the lights:
1) Low beams on, cluster lights on
2) High beams on, cluster lights on

...and it's a low-end car so there arent any fog lights in front, and :911: so there aren't any in back.

Splizwarf posted:

I was driving a Mercedes R230 recently, just tooling around trying to get emissions monitors to set, and the thing had the cruise control on a stalk right where the turn signal stalk is on everything else, so every time I tried to signal a right turn the van would make a bumpy acceleration hop.
Do you mean that there's a separate stalk for the cruise control, or that the cruise control is where the turn signal normally is and the turn signal is somewhere else? The turn signal stalk on mine also has controls for cruise control (switch near the end and a button inside the end), wipers (twist a section of the stalk) and high beams (push forward and release to switch from low to high beam and back again).

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ok, question time. I was at an intersection of a major 4 lane road and a minor 2 Lane road, with a light. The light was blinking yellow on the major road, red on the minor road. I was on the major road, stuck behind two lines of cars who were stopping at the yellow, every single person stopped. For every 3 or 4 cycles, nobody was coming from from the minor road, but once and a while someone would.

When you get to the light, go through it without stopping, or follow convention and stop?

I figured if everyone just drove through, like what I was taught to do, gaps would open up for the people on the minor road, but with this setup it was never gonna happen.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

StormDrain posted:

When you get to the light, go through it without stopping, or follow convention and stop?

I figured if everyone just drove through, like what I was taught to do, gaps would open up for the people on the minor road, but with this setup it was never gonna happen.

State law here says you proceed with caution through the intersection. I have seen cops write people tickets for stopping at flashing yellow lights. I wish they would do that more often.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Falken posted:

Petrol into a TDI.

That is going to be some nasty issues down the road.

Its not like they label the fuel doors with what fuel you need to put in the car....oh wait...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Friar Zucchini posted:

Do you mean that there's a separate stalk for the cruise control, or that the cruise control is where the turn signal normally is and the turn signal is somewhere else? The turn signal stalk on mine also has controls for cruise control (switch near the end and a button inside the end), wipers (twist a section of the stalk) and high beams (push forward and release to switch from low to high beam and back again).

I mean there is a separate stalk (which blocks the turn signal stalk) for cruise control that does:

Up = increase speed setpoint
Down = decrease speed setpoint
Pull = resume previous speed
Push = turn off

Up, Down, and Pull all activate cruise any time they're touched, there is no hard off switch. By the end of the drive it had become a habit to push that stalk after every turn, just in case.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I feel like that's some sort of hosed up joke played by a traffic engineer.

Boy do I have the thread for you!

Falken posted:

What do you guys prefer, side/headlight controls on the dash or on the indicator stalk? Encountered the dashboard switch for lights on the Vauxhall Corsa C, Volkswagen Polo Mk2f and Porsche 944. I kind of prefer it for some strange reason.

My first vehicle (1980 Ford F-150) had it on the dash. I... think stepdad's F-150 (2001) has it that way too, I'm not in it often enough to really remember though.

Everything else I've owned has had it on the indicator stalk. One thing that bugs me about my current car is the headlights default to automatic. You can turn off the automatic lights, but you have to do so every loving time you start the engine.

OTOH, the fog lights have to be turned on every time you start the engine if you want to keep them on - they shut off after you shut off the engine, and don't come back on until you hit the switch again. I kind of like that; I also like that it'll let you turn on the fogs without turning on the headlights (though the parking/dash lights do turn on). Pretty useful when the fog is closer to soup.

Also doesnt it only lock all 4 doors if all the doors are already shut? I seem to recall being unable to hit the lock button and get out, having to do it with the remote once I was outside.

A lot of cars (mine included) put a 3-5 second delay in if you hit the lock button with the door open. As in, they won't lock until 3-5 seconds after the last door has been closed (they usually make some kind of noise from the dash too, mine dings 3 times). Some cars will let you bypass that by hitting the button 2 or 3 times.

My keyfob works the same way. I can see the logic behind that when it's the drivers door that's open, but when it's the passenger door... :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 10, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

My keyfob works the same way. I can see the logic behind that when it's the drivers door that's open, but when it's the passenger door... :iiam:

Maybe all door open switches are on the same circuit? It's not a fancy 1989 Chrysler New Yorker which has an outline of the car showing you which door is open, it's a 200* GM.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Maybe all door open switches are on the same circuit? It's not a fancy 1989 Chrysler New Yorker which has an outline of the car showing you which door is open, it's a 200* GM.

In that case you are just lucky the doors don't fall off when you hit the locks.

On a serious note, I had a rental (brand new pos) Jetta for a while recently. As far as I could tell, the keyfob was the only way to lock the doors when you got out. If any door was open, the lock buttons in the car did nothing. Wouldn't have been so bad if the keyfob didn't honk the horn every goddamn time you locked it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Falken posted:

Petrol into a TDI.

We had three TDI A3s when I started at Audi and every single one of them came in on the hook multiple times after the customers filled them with gas.
That was the last time they had diesel anything for a loaner. Those stickers and warnings do nothing. Audi ended up issuing an update that includes installing a filler neck insert that only opens with the bigger diesel nozzle. I'm not sure that they will do a whole lot of anything though. I can imagine people will keep shoving the unleaded nozzle in there until the insert breaks and falls down the filler neck.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

YF19pilot posted:

Basically, two left turn lanes, which immediately lead into a left right 's'. Problem? That first entrance in the bottom corner there goes to Wal-Mart, so half of the dopes around here will sit in the outside lane, and either swing into the inside lane while making the left, or just barge over into the right hand lane in the middle of the 's' so they can make the turn into Wal-Mart. Since my work is at the other end of this plaza, I usually stick to the outside lane, but I've had countless near-misses of people just barging over and not knowing they're suppose to stay in their lane. One of particular note was a lady who I honked at for nearly putting me up the curb, who then proceeded to stay in the left lane all the way to the end of that road, then turn around and go all the way back to get to Starbucks (in the plaza on the corner in that picture).

Double left turn lanes are my nemesis, I've lost count of how many times I've been in the right lane, taken the turn nice and wide, stayed perfectly within the lines, and yet nearly been side-swiped by some moron who can't make the turn without drifting from the left lane to the right lane. Sometimes, I think people are just too lazy to turn their steering wheels more than 90 degrees in either direction.

Every single day, I see people completely unable to complete their turns into the correct lane, people who don't understand multiple turn lanes, people who drift into the lane farthest to the left when doing a right turn and then continue straight on in the left lane for kilometer after kilometer only to finally change to the right lane right before their next right turn comes up.

Even worse, this morning on the motorway coming up to a merge where two 2-lane motorways merge into 3 lanes. The left lane was packed (typical) and I was in the right lane with one car in front of me. Other than that, the right lane was completely empty. Then the apocalyptically idiotic moron in front of me decides to change into the left lane, right before the merge! I mean seriously WTF? That is the ONE THING this person could do to annoy as many people coming from the other direction as possible, and he did it gleefully. I stayed in the right lane and just drove normally, completely avoiding any sort of merging trouble, I didn't even have to let off on the throttle or anything, while everyone in the left lane had to brake and slow down to merge with the packed right lane from the other direction.

I really do wonder what goes on in people's minds when they do something like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cars and trucks generally dont catch me out too much- Our New MAN truck caused a bit of confusion- its got the indicators/horn on the LH stalk on the wheel, the Right hand stalk controls the gearbox! Want to turn right? CHANGE GEAR!

What ALWAYS catches me out is our New Holland tractor.

The big orange stalk on the dash is the shuttle for the transmission- pull towards you and up, you go forwards, pull towards and down, you go backwards, tap either direction for neutral.

The black stalk below it. Thats the indicators and headlights- Its a Euro tractor so everything arse about backwards.

The number of times i've come around a corner powering away, gone to cancel the indicators (no self cancel on tractors!) and dropped the tractor into neutral is embarrasing. Not quite as embarresed as the cars tailgating me (I weigh 9 tonnes and max out at 42kph- Gimme a break!) and suddenly find themselves with their bonnets UNDER my slasher! Thank god it lifts the thing over a meter into the air, or i'd be doing a hell of a lot more accident paperwork!

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

New BMWs have all sorts of weird poo poo, if our 135 is any indication. If you're inside the car you can always open the door regardless of if they are locked, but either way you have to pull the door handle twice to open it. I asked the techs at the dealer why you have to pull it twice and they said it was a "safety feature," which really makes no goddamn sense. Did they have problems with people accidentally opening the door while driving and falling out? Also, you can't do the normal sequential door unlock (driver's door first, then all doors) with the "tap the door handle" unlock feature. You can set it to unlock EITHER the drivers door OR all doors but it can't do one then the other, like, you know, the unlock button on keyfobs have been doing since the beginning of time.

Also, it doesn't have intermittent windshield wipers. It has a "normal" and "fast" setting that you turn on the regular way, by tapping the right stalk up. But then it has an "automatic" mode that you turn on with a little button on the end of the stalk. It's one of those rain-sensing things where it automatically adjusts the speed and it has a dial on the stalk that adjusts the sensitivity. I think it's supposed to replace the intermittent mode but it sucks and it's hard to adjust the sensitivity so it isn't either flailing wildly or not swiping at all.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

Those stickers and warnings do nothing. Audi ended up issuing an update that includes installing a filler neck insert that only opens with the bigger diesel nozzle. I'm not sure that they will do a whole lot of anything though. I can imagine people will keep shoving the unleaded nozzle in there until the insert breaks and falls down the filler neck.

The same thing used to happen with airplanes, and still does occasionally.

The problem was largely solved by changing the filler ports and nozzles so that Jet-A nozzles were large and rectangular shaped, while Avgas (essentially leaded gasoline) nozzles were substantially smaller and round, which meant that it was generally impossible to misfuel a piston aircraft with jet fuel. It was also recommended that pilots of turbocharged aircraft remove any "turbo" badging from the exteriors, to reduce the chances of a fueler thinking "turbo" meant "turbine" and trying to put jet fuel into the airplane.

I used to work for a flight school that had a student manage to top off a trainer with about 20 gallons of jet fuel despite all of those safeguards being in place. The aircraft in question had fairly large fuel filler openings to enable the pilot to visually see how much fuel was in the tank, and they were apparently just large enough that they could set a Jet-A nozzle on top of the opening (it wouldn't fit inside) and carefully put fuel into the tank without it spilling all over the wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't think I've ever been through a double turn lane intersection in any kind of traffic without seeing at least one person fail to stay in their correct lane. It's loving pandemic.

This can be pants-shittingly terrifying when you're on a motorcycle. The worst part is that after they do it, they typically act like you're in the wrong. I've even had a bro truck chase me down at the next redlight and yell at me for cutting him off when he moved from the left turn-lane all the way to the right most lane (3 lanes)... Thank god there is lane splitting in CA, I usually just try and get the hell away from people asap.