Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Join us at #Dawngoons at synirc.net
Game status: Beta. only open on weekends currently [9/9/2013]
Getting beta keys is also hard. Checking public places like reddit may being you some luck.

http://www.waystonegames.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBzOKcEI0s&t=40s

HEROES! also knows as SHAPERS!

THE MAP!

Map shamelessly stolen from some place

Instead of the traditional three lane map that most MOBA games use, this one has a two lane map with a jungle sprinkled evenly everywhere. Each team has two allied 'Spirit Wells' that have workers who gather money for you. They're similar to starcraft workers who mine minerals. You can kill enemy workers to get a small bit of gold and experience and harm their economy for a bit, or you can also capture the spirit well by standing in the circle until it changes, turning the workers to your side and preventing enemies from recapturing it for 5 minutes.

The base's main structure [The Guardian] has three health bars. It can regenerate health but if it loses a health bar, it can't regain it. kill theirs to win the game. Simple!

More things coming soon.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

[Reserved.]

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay I just checked out this reddit you mention in the op and.... :stare: what the hell is that place?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Titgrab Dildoshoulders.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Guess which hand he jacks off with!

Sounds like a fun game OP I'll try it out! Is a MOBA game like quake?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've been playing Dawngate on and off and I still don't understand how you are supposed to keep up level wise with laners as a jungler. Any tips?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Flayer posted:

I've been playing Dawngate on and off and I still don't understand how you are supposed to keep up level wise with laners as a jungler. Any tips?

Gank a lot, people have told me that it's better to take Predator and start with Life as a jungler, but I haven't actually tried it

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

killstealing posted:

Sounds like a fun game OP I'll try it out! Is a MOBA game like quake?

It's more like Doom [Quake stole from Doom]

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Renzo looks exactly like Zeus from DOTA but I like the guy who is a house.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How is this different from any of the other MOBAs out there?

Click to move and attack? Ugh. Seriously been spoiled with the controls of SMITE. By the looks of it they are fully replicated the DOTA style of movement including the slight lag between inputs and all that.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Why should I play this over Dota2? Why would anyone play this over Dota2 or LoL or HoN?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Hi Juri!

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Cut the bullshit and give me a big list of what this game does differently from DotA/LoL.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stanley Pain posted:

Click to move and attack? Ugh. Seriously been spoiled with the controls of SMITE. By the looks of it they are fully replicated the DOTA style of movement including the slight lag between inputs and all that.

Dota doesn't have input lag, just turn speeds and cast animations. Pretty sure this is LoL style though, where you can turn on a dime.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Stanley Pain posted:

Dota doesn't have slight lag between inputs. Heroes have turn speed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

My interest in this game hasn't been very high so far, but I would love to check this game out just to play as these two dudes. :allears:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

NewtGoongrich posted:

Why should I play this over Dota2? Why would anyone play this over Dota2 or LoL or HoN?
It's fresh? Just a little diversion from the big boys.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It has awful character control is what it has. I equate my character not doing what I tell them to do as input lag, whatever it might technically be there's still some serious delay between your character "doing things" within the game. I hate DOTA, and never bothered with LoL, definitely gonna skip this based on the video from the OP because it looks terrible. :tipshat:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Input lag is like an actual thing dude, its not something you just get to arbitrarily define. When you tell your character to do something they start doing it right away! Its just that it takes them a second to actually carry it out because they have to turn or cast or whatever. Agreed that this game looks awful though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

NewtGoongrich posted:

No broken matchmaking, Not having to buy heroes [I've been told they chose to keep microtransactions to skins only and maybe some other things, which means heroes may be spared.], Not being run by a racist.

Also sorry about the OP not having much content currently. I will keep on adding to it once the game gets a bigger playerbase and more content into it. I'm also planning on adding hero skills and other related things like that in the future.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Flayer posted:

It's fresh? Just a little diversion from the big boys.

Nothing about Dota is fresh no matter how much you dress it up. I'm not really seeing anything fresh about this compared to LoL or Dota 2.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Kraustofski posted:

Nothing about Dota is fresh no matter how much you dress it up. I'm not really seeing anything fresh about this compared to LoL or Dota 2.

Welcome to the new generation of me-too mobas designed to capitalize on the genre popularity surge just like all the terrible mmos after WoW hit it big, except making a lovely moba is orders of magnitude cheaper and easier than an mmo.

That said, the otter has a sweet izuna drop ult so I wanna play it. Also Zeri's bio sure is somethin.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Dizz posted:

Not having to buy heroes [I've been told they chose to keep microtransactions to skins only and maybe some other things, which means heroes may be spared.]

Who told you this because as far as I know the devs have been whisper-quiet on their monetization model.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Kraustofski posted:

It's just a different map is all, a little change of pace. A fun diversion, if you will. It won't last 6 months.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flayer posted:

It's just a different map is all, a little change of pace. A fun diversion, if you will. It won't last 6 months.

In my experience during beta, that's exactly it. Had it came out a year ago it might have been a competition to LoL and DOTA, but right now it does too little, too late.

The game is responsive, feels somewhat balanced, the UI is pretty clear and easy to navigate and it IS bit different from the usual MOBA formula (different map with extra objectives, but still not the usual tri-lane). The character models are pretty cool and varied and all in all it feels like it's had some work put on, not just a LoL reskin or whatever.

Still, unless you literally don't play any other MOBA, you probably don't want to waste your time with this. Even if it's your first MOBA, just play LoL or DOTA, since they are more established and have a huge player base.

I don't really understand the point of releasing more MOBAs at the moment. Unless you do a complete overhaul in the game and change it significantly (like SMITE), there's just no point!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

NewtGoongrich posted:

I was hoping the "How to Play Dawngate" video was 10 seconds long and was just a guy saying "Come on you've played DOTA/DOTA2/League of Legends/Smite". :v:

Oh hey they even have Summoner Abilities.
The well thing seems somewhat interesting though.

Dizz posted:

No broken matchmaking, Not having to buy heroes [I've been told they chose to keep microtransactions to skins only and maybe some other things, which means heroes may be spared.], Not being run by a racist.

Which game is run by a racist? :allears:

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I don't really understand the point of releasing more MOBAs at the moment. Unless you do a complete overhaul in the game and change it significantly (like SMITE), there's just no point!

Do we still have that thread about MOBAs in general? There's so many coming out. There's a DC comics based one. Hell they're making one based on Dead Island! Everyone loves Dead Island! And now it's back, in POGMOBA form!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Maliken is S2 Games' CEO and is known to go on racist tirades when he's mad.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh right. I forgot HoN was a thing still. Yeah he's a real dicksplash.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Maybe I'll give this game another shot but when I played it sometime last month it was pretty bad in my opinion. It was at least better than infinite crisis though.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Dizz posted:

Dota2 has great matchmaking, is fairly well balanced all things considered, does not require you to buy heroes and is completely free.

Didn't we just have a thread dealing with exactly this situation? lovely MOBAs created by companies that want to cash in just like during the MMO craze?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Psh, this doesn't have Shrek, angry birds, or Naruto count me the gently caress out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

NewtGoongrich posted:

Dota2 has great matchmaking, is fairly well balanced all things considered, does not require you to buy heroes and is completely free.

Didn't we just have a thread dealing with exactly this situation? lovely MOBAs created by companies that want to cash in just like during the MMO craze?

The dota2 matchmaking thing was a joke. sorry if people actually took that seriously.

Honestly though I feel that this game has some potential. Right now the game is decent and doesn't really have many flaws besides having a beta key wall and only being available on weekends. right now all we can really do is wait and see what's up.

Also let's not derail this thread with VideoGame Tribalism. let's try to keep this place civil.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Oh right. I forgot HoN was a thing still. Yeah he's a real dicksplash.

What is the deal with West Michigan developers being giant jack-asses? Wardell is out that way too.

Evil Z
Jun 14, 2012
Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the game guys. I'll check on this thread periodically.

How are we different: We believe that MOBA is a genre unto it's own. To this point, MOBA = DOTA. DOTA has been done very well by Valve and Riot. Very well. So because we believe that MOBA does not necessarily = DOTA, we think that you can break down the core components of what makes a MOBA a MOBAand reassemble it into something new and fresh. Some of the key things we've done to innovate:

The Role system: We've separated how you earn money from the archetype of your character (we call them Shapers). The Role system allows you to play the character you want how you want to play it. Want to play a ranged carry in the jungle? Choose the Hunter Role. Want to play a support character as an aggressive pusher in a kill lane? Go Predator. Yes, some characters are going to be more viable in a Role than others, however there's nothing stopping you from experimenting while at the same time not being a huge detriment to the rest of the team.

Itemization: You have to experience it to understand it, however we've focused on creating a system where some of the just plain "wrong" choices have been removed (i.e.; (from LoL, building a Rabadon's on Caitlyn, etc). Personally, as someone who plays a lot of MOBAs, I like our item system. I'm also biased.

The Map: The map is the most important thing in a MOBA. It's what you balance your characters and gameplay around and is basically the stage for the players. We've done some different things with our map, adding in RTS elements with the Spirit Wells (economy control points with "workers" that spawn over time the longer your team controls the Well (I liken them to Vespene Geysers). Also, the two lane map has done some amazing things to our meta, in concert with the Role system. Mainly, we're finding that the meta is extremely flexible and no one scheme has become the dominant meta.

Control wise, we're closer to League than DOTA. It should feel responsive with very little delay in response time, if any at all (for the record, the servers are in Chicago right now) We have folks playing from the EU, averaging around 150ms who say that it definitely doesn't feel like 100+ms. If you're getting a noticeable delay, I'd love to hear about it and potentially put you in touch with our engineers.

Andy Belford
Community Manager - Waystone Games

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Im gonna try and get into the beta for this and see how it plays.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's really hard to find keys for this, I guess I'll never be able to finish up RickoniX' pro team. :(

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Evil Z posted:

Itemization: You have to experience it to understand it, however we've focused on creating a system where some of the just plain "wrong" choices have been removed (i.e.; (from LoL, building a Rabadon's on Caitlyn, etc).

Removed or restricted? As in, could I still build a Rabadon's on Caitlyn and it'd actually do something for her, or could I not get it at all on her?

Pyronic posted:

Im gonna try and get into the beta for this and see how it plays.

Me too. I sounded snarky but MOBAs are one of those things that I will try a few games no matter what. That and card games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is this a more active MOBA in that you have a good amount of damage to inflict even early on so it doesn't really have the relatviely passive laneing phase like others? Cause reading the description made me think of a game where you didn't just hit creeps for the first few minutes but instead snuck around trying to sabotage the other teams production right from the very start. That would interest me a lot.

Maybe I'm horribly misinterpreting how it works though.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Internet Kraken posted:

So is this a more active MOBA in that you have a good amount of damage to inflict even early on so it doesn't really have the relatviely passive laneing phase like others? Cause reading the description made me think of a game where you didn't just hit creeps for the first few minutes but instead snuck around trying to sabotage the other teams production right from the very start. That would interest me a lot.

Maybe I'm horribly misinterpreting how it works though.

Having to protect your worker dudes make it sound like the opposite but that's just guessing at vague descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Removed or restricted? As in, could I still build a Rabadon's on Caitlyn and it'd actually do something for her, or could I not get it at all on her?

Me too. I sounded snarky but MOBAs are one of those things that I will try a few games no matter what. That and card games.
The way I read what I said was that there will be no Rabadon's, instead if you want to do more damage, you buy Bloodthirster, whatever you are carry or caster.
I'm not sure how that will work out, on one hand it will probably leads to homogenization of item builds, on other hand the distinction that this character builds a sword and this character builds a hat isn't that amazing.

Turnspeed was the thing that killed desire to play Dota2 for me and since I'm incapable of learning from my mistakes, I'll probably give it a go too.

• Locked thread