Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

InK105 posted:

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.

Check out cKnoor's beginners guide to Blood Bowl. There's a whole playlist of videos, but even watching just the first one will likely improve your game. They are also made with Cyanide's BB: Chaos Edition, so you might pick up some pointers on how to deal with the game's not so great UI.

Concerning the AI: All the different difficulty levels are equally bad at the core game strategy, but the easier AIs take more stupid risks. Ironically, this makes the easy AI the most dangerous, since sometimes those risks pay off. You might want to try setting the AI to hard. It'll be harder to get the ball away from its team when they cage around it, but they'll be a lot less capable offensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Der Kyhe posted:

Finally, some of the skills are unlocked only after certain story missions are completed. At the beginning, focusing on playing missions until you see an ink monster (really hard to miss :D ) which unlocks most - if not all - of the skill trees.

I don't think I ever got far enough to see an ink monster but I was definitely kicking myself for doing a bunch of side content before I got the "move fast as hell while sneaking" upgrade (jungle walk?), that's when you can really start playing jungle predator.

Fun game but it gets a little samey after a while. Also the super racist undertones but let's not go there

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

InK105 posted:

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.

First of all, I hope you haven't spent money on assistant coaches or cheerleaders, as they aren't so great in most circumstances. You generally want to start out with 3 rerolls, though some teams find it hard to afford that, so they have so settle with 2.

If you haven't figured out "assists" yet, basically for every extra guy you have next to one opponent when you throw a punch (or get punched), you get an effective +1 ST. Having an effective ST advantage over what you're punching is crucial, as it lets you roll two die and choose the result. Before throwing punches, you'll almost always want to move an assist in if it'd give you the 2-die-block. Note that a player can't lend an assist if he's next to more than one opponent unless it has the Guard skill, so you'll need to watch out for that. Plus, you can also take advantage and move players next to your opponent's assists to cancel them out. Knowing how assists work is one of the most crucial skills needed to do well in Blood Bowl.

Apart from that, whenever you're throwing important punches, you'll want to do it with a player who has the skill Block or Wrestle whenever possible, as they prevent Both Downs from causing a turnover. Plus, if your player has Block and your opponent doesn't, it's an extra chance for a knockdown. Wrestle is effective in countering enemy players that have Block.

You also want to do your less risky and most important moves earlier in the turn. First your safe moves, then your two-die-punches with Block, then so on. Ideally, you want to set up so that even if your first die roll blows up in your face, you're not caught COMPLETELY with your pants down.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Blood bowl:

"Going for it" to run an extra square has a one in six chance of failing and your guy falling over, causing a turnover. This one in six will seem to come up with startling frequency*, and the worst possible time. It comes back to "Avoid rolling dice for as long as possible, and then make as few rolls as possible". Only go for it if it is really important (the difference between your opponents blitzer reaching the ball carrier and not for example) or really unimportant (all your other guys have been moved and it would be nice to exert an extra tackle zone on an enemy at the other end of the board from the ball by moving an extra square or something).

Conversely, you want to force the AI to roll as many dice as possible so he has multiple chances to fail. Put tackle zones around the ball carrier (not necessarily right next to him) and force the enemy to either make multiple dodge attempts to get to the ball or waste his blitz on your human shields. I havent played chaos edition specifically but in Legendary Edition the AI has 2 main tactics: Form a cage around the ball carrier for a running game (it will try this even when his guys cant run the length of the pitch in the remaining turns) or run a reciever WAAAAY down field for a passing game. Either way, make him run through as many tackle zones as possible.

If hes trying to play a passing game (Elves) move some of your guys back to put a tackle zone on the catcher and possibly intercept tthe catch. If hes trying to play a running game (loving Dwarves) then I usually bog him down in the melee until I can tag the ball carrier and hopefully end up with the ball from the scrum. Just cage his cage, then hopefully punch through it. Remember you make a dodge roll coming OUT of a tackle zone, not into one. And you dont have to make a dodge roll if you are following up a sucessful block.

If he has hard hitting guys, dont stand next to them, make him move them so he can only hit with one. If you push back one of his big dudes (anything with more strength than your guy) then think before following up because sometimes it will lead to that player bing wasted for turns on end if he has low movement as he stands up and has to be repositioned before hitting again. Throw in "stupid" or "really stupid" rolls and I've seen trolls waste practically an entire half doing nothing useful.

For a starting player I would recommend a few games with a Human team to get a feel for it. They are the games all-rounders (or Orcs, who are the slightly fightier but slower all rounders). Once you have a handle on the game mechanics try one of the other teams with their assorted gimmicks.

If a player who doesnt have stand firm or side step ends a turn standing next to the edge of the pitch, then they can be pushed into the crowd on a push-back result, but only if that is the only square you can push them to, so make sure your attacker is positioned to push them straight off the pitch. I dont remember off hand if the video game version gives an injury roll for that, but it gets them a player disadvantage for the rest of the down.

Fouling is essentially a 1 in 6 chance of being sent off in exchange for a bonus on the armour roll. Worth the risk at times, but choose your target and fouler carefully; A lineman risking being sent off to take out a star player or a thrower/catcher is worth it. A blitzer fouling a lineman is rarely a good risk.

Levelling up your linemen should be taking things like Block (a good generic choice) Tackle (for better blocking and also because gently caress Elves) and Guard (requires a double roll on level up for human linemen but drat its helpful to have a guard in a melee). Aside from that it depends on your play style. Personally I'm fond of making catchers hard to take down; You can frustrate your opponent mightily with a combination of Side-step and Dodge. My throwers often end up getting kick because I use a thrower to kick off and it allows you to put it much closer to your offensive line without risking a touchback.

Thats all I can think of off-hand without repeating the good advice you have already been given.

*I'm not claiming the RNG is rigged; Going for it rolls are the same in the board game version with physical dice. Lady luck just hates going for it rolls. Either that or its bias as you remember the ball fumbling failures while forgetting the unremarkable successes. Definately one of those things. Either way, the advice holds.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'd appreciate some Prison Architect advice. Specifically, a good regime setup. Also i'm finding it fairly difficult to set up the basics plus a workshop to make some money without running out of cash along the way.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Revenant Threshold posted:

I'd appreciate some Prison Architect advice. Specifically, a good regime setup. Also i'm finding it fairly difficult to set up the basics plus a workshop to make some money without running out of cash along the way.

Based off of alpha 13:

My current regime is below, its a good one as the prisoners will rarely if ever riot. I keep my yard at the centre of the map and my canteen next to it. They go to the yard before eating so they all enter the canteen together. This means you stop prisoners missing out on eating as they were travelling to it and also lowers the time to eat, keeping it too long will bore those who have finished eating and they will case trouble. Build toilets and phones in both the yard and canteen to ease boredom and take care needs while these times in the regieme play out. Use freetime to get them sorted for long spells away from their cells (last minute showers, call family, exercise, change clothes) and right before bed to help settle them down for the night. They all shower 1 hour a day (outside of freetime) so make sure they can get to shower areas within 15-25 game minutes from their cells.

12am - 5am - Sleep
6am - Shower
7am - Yard
8am - 9am - Eat
10am - Freetime
11am - 5pm - Work
6pm - Yard
7pm - 8pm - Eat
9pm - Freetime
10pm - 11pm Sleep

You only really start making money in late game when you have a workshop or two and have 100+ prisoners. Being an alpha hopefully they will sort something out mid game, if you build too big, too quickly and make too many purchases you can screw yourself within 15 minutes.

Plan your entire layout first in the planning mode. Aim to make your buildings a portion of the size leaving room to expand as you go into your ideal layout. Build fences whenever you can, they are free and can be made into makeshift corridors and will keep prisoners from escaping. Be practical and not aesthetically pleasing to start with. Forget lighting everywhere, flooring and having objects everywhere to fill rooms/areas. If you can get away with it and save a few $ for now do so. (like keep your yard empty except for phones and toilets as mentioned earlier)

Build x3 offices, get a warden, then finance officer, then maintenance officer and work towards prison labour ASAP. For a workshop build a room with 6x presses and 6x saws employing 13-15 prisoners and it will easily net you $7k+ a day provided you keep them supplied with sheetmetal. This workshop will cost you somewhere between $14-$20k depending on building size. Keep this near the delivery area so the workmen don't have far to go to unload sheetmetal and deliver them to the workshop. Consider moving the delivery area to the top of the map so the trucks don’t have to traverse half the map to drop it off.

I've seen a lot of people miss that the grant tab on the report screen which allows instant access to £80k from the start so make you you click on them. Also lower the meal quantity on the regime tab.

Build a large holding cell to start with as cells are surprisingly expensive to setup. Individual cells sized 2x3 cell with a cell door, bed, toilet, light, plumbing and maybe a TV can cost something like $600-800 each.

Some rooms are not 100% needed yet like security and the common room.

You only need 5 offices total at present for your staff, lawyers are for future updates. You don't have to have janitors and gardeners straight away, I don't think the look of the prison affects moods.

The infirmary and morgue don't have to be big, one or two beds/slabs with x2 doctors are enough. Your storage area can be outside so don't bother putting it inside if you don't need to. Solitary can be one empty square with a door. In fact with the new policy tab in Alpha 13 on the report screen you can do away with solitary and just have every punishment be a lock down.

Save some money by building a big enough cleaning room to employ 20x prisoners saving you on lots of janitors. You can save money on lots of chiefs by having prisoners working in the kitchen but meals only start being prepared 2-3 hours before eating time so if any other regime is between work and eat its pretty pointless. For the laundry room make a mostly empty room that can employ 10-15 prisoners with 6+ baskets but only one or two washing machines/ironing boards, as they aren't used much compared to delivery and collecting clothing.

Workmen are very inefficient, if they have too many jobs they will go back and forth over the map over and over instead of concentrating on all the tasks in one area (like laying foundations) this will increase the time it takes to do anything and cost you money in getting the workshops up quickly. Give them tasks gradually and wait till they finish en mass before assigning more. Try not to build/purchase anything during work time, this leaves workmen concentrating on delivering sheetmetal so you will make more money at the end of the day.

Do shakedowns every 2-3 days only at night when prisoners are sleeping. Will cut down on riots this way and guards running back and forth after every prisoner.

If too many prisoners are coming the next day for you to handle, consider going to the prisoner tab on the report and changing it from open to close.

Metal detectors are pretty useful if expensive. I keep them by my canteen as everyone passes them. Later in the game add some to workshop entrance and later still entrance to large cell blocks and the prison. I'm not sure if it has been fixed but in earlier versions I found prisoners could sometimes bypass the detectors if they aren't forced to enter through them in a one square wide corridor. Even if there are two detectors side by side they somehow slip between them without activating either. This method can create choke points so in busier areas like the canteen I setup them up like in the picture below so there are multiple small corridors they can use. Though they will try to use the shortest route to their goal.

Slavik fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 3, 2013

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Sonance posted:

I've had the X3 games (Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude) sitting in my Steam account for ages but never really touched them. I've enjoyed a whole range of space combat/trade/sim games so figured I'd get something out of these games eventually, but I also understand they can be a bit esoteric.

Should I play all three, or should I skip any of them? Any newbie traps that could gently caress me up in the long run? Basically, what should I be doing in my first few hours of the game(s)?

Skip to Albion Prelude. In terms of actually starting out, watch CdrDave's walkthrough videos (play along if possible). They're for TC but virtually everything is identical between it and AP. After a handful of videos, you should have a good grasp on how most things work. It's a chill game most of the time, so make some tea, put on some fuzzy slippers and take your time amassing a fortune. Learn the shortcuts, too. And heck, scope out the AP thread too.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 3, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SiKboy posted:

Blood bowl:

"Going for it" to run an extra square has a one in six chance of failing and your guy falling over, causing a turnover. This one in six will seem to come up with startling frequency*, and the worst possible time. It comes back to "Avoid rolling dice for as long as possible, and then make as few rolls as possible". Only go for it if it is really important (the difference between your opponents blitzer reaching the ball carrier and not for example) or really unimportant (all your other guys have been moved and it would be nice to exert an extra tackle zone on an enemy at the other end of the board from the ball by moving an extra square or something).

To add to this there's the Agility skill "Sure Feet" that gives a free reroll for a 'go for it' roll. Free reroll skills are great for obvious reasons but keep in mind that they're only usable once in a turn. If your guy burned his dodge reroll then if he fails again you either burn a team reroll to try to avoid the failure or you turn-over. This is generally not a good skill to take unless you're trying to make a 'TD in one turn' guy, like a Gutter Runner or other high-MV players.

Tackle is the counter to dodge. The Shadowing Skill pairs well with this (esp on high MV guys), chase those annoying dodgers down!

Break Tackle lets a unit use STR instead of AGI for one dodge a turn. It's not really useful except on a few gimmick things as the high STR guys tend to be 'Big Guys' and thus have Wild Animal or Really Stupid.

A bit on those two traits: Wild Animal, Bone Head, and Really Stupid require a roll on that unit when you give it a order to avoid the unit just standing there. Wild Animal causes them to keep their tackle zone, a failed Really Stupid will lose that as well. If you use a blitz for guys with that you risk losing your blitz. Each one has different rolls that can even be modified with actions (Wild Animal is 4+ normally, but only 2+ to avoid if they have a blitz or tackle order, for example). Take Root is a bit of an odd variant to this where the unit affected is stuck there until a new kickoff or they're knocked down.

As mentioned before with Dodge there are a couple of 'counter' skills:

Tackle counters Dodge
Sure Hands counters Strip Ball
Grab and Side Step nullify each other (I'm not 100% on this)
Juggernaut cancels Fend, Stand Firm, and Wrestle, but requires a Blitz action.
Fend technically counters Frenzy (Though I believe the frenzying player can still hit someone else if they're adjacent still)
Diving Tackle significantly hinders dodges, but does not nullify the reroll chance.
Very Long Legs counters Safe Throw, but is from mutations only

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

theshim posted:

CHEAT THE GOD drat CRAFTING SYSTEM DO IT

e: otherwise http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Tactics_Ogre:_Let_Us_Cling_Together_%28PSP%29 is pretty good and it's worth reiterating that Archers are insanely, ridiculously good and the more Archers you use the easier the game is. Also give Canopus a 2-handed Crossbow, it's better for him than shortbows overall.

About to give this a go myself, what exactly do you mean by cheat the system?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Bemis posted:

About to give this a go myself, what exactly do you mean by cheat the system?

Before you craft with a significant chance of failure, save. Reload if it fails, save if it succeeds. This is entirely to save yourself the trouble of mindlessly recrafting every last step one at a time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet?

EDIT: Also, anything for Metro 2033 that isn't in the wiki? Will I have enough gas mask filters to thoroughly explore those areas?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 6, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is probably a little off-topic, but does anyone know if there's cheats/console/save editing for the Knights of the Old Republic games? I'm impossibly stuck on one part and I really don't wanna go back and do it all again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

This is probably a little off-topic, but does anyone know if there's cheats/console/save editing for the Knights of the Old Republic games? I'm impossibly stuck on one part and I really don't wanna go back and do it all again.

There's a console, which can probably do what you need to get through.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

StashAugustine posted:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;68852

Give that a try.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Also, anything for Metro 2033 that isn't in the wiki? Will I have enough gas mask filters to thoroughly explore those areas?
Let me just ? back through my posts:
(actually, apparently I posted this in the main stream thread :shrug: )

Market station is the last place you can buy filters, so buy... one, just to have some extra time while you're unused to filter hunting.

You can only salvage used filters when you have less than 20 minutes worth of filters left.

The game offers a number of stealth options when dealing with human opponents, but it only expects you to whittle down their numbers a bit before the firefight starts. It's hard/impossible to kill everyone stealthily and you don't actually get anything for doing so.

(The exceptions are the missions Frontline and Black Station, which you can stealth without killing anyone for an achievement)

Every single piece of gear on human enemies - gas masks, goggles, weapons, grenades - might deflect a bullet or a throwing knife. Therefore, counter-intuitively, the best way to silently take down guys is to throw a knife into their rear end / foot.

When you first encounter a bandit camp, there's a Volt Driver next to the campfire. It's way overpowered for dealing with monsters, but you should sell it for an enormous price, and experiment with the other weapons in that slot.

I think the voice acting in both versions is best described as "competent, with the occasional terrible line". On the one hand, the English version occasionally has English speakers trying to pronounce Russian phonetically, but that might not sound off to someone who doesn't speak Russian. On the other hand, a number of incidental conversations get translated into English but don't get subtitles. And the game has some really good spooky / depressing incidental conversations, transcribed right out of the novel.

The game has a semi-hidden morality system. Listen to a lot of conversations, explore a lot of hidden nooks and crannies in the tunnels and stations, and obey your guides when they tell you to do something. This will give you a chance to alter the games ending.

(Listening to conversations includes the levels Frontline and Black Station. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to gain enough points if you just slaughter everyone in both missions. But don't worry - the alternate ending is supposed to be secret and non-cannon. Worst case scenario, you can youtube it)

Don't leave knives sticking out peoples asses. Pick them up and reuse them on a different rear end. Also, don't buy scoped weapons. Iron sights are better in 90% of the levels.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 8, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Went on an indie-game-buying-spree. Anything for Fate of the World, Papers, Please, Cart Life, Home, McPixel, or Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Turn your volume WAY the gently caress down.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Papers, Please:

- Don't bother with booth upgrades unless you've got tons of cash to spare. Their benefits are negligible.
- Try really hard to sneak in one last person just before closing time. You can then take all the time in the world processing them.
- You don't actually have to use the time-consuming scanner on people if you know you will deny them anyway. Though using it can let you detain them instead.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Papers, Please:

- Don't bother with booth upgrades unless you've got tons of cash to spare. Their benefits are negligible.
- Try really hard to sneak in one last person just before closing time. You can then take all the time in the world processing them.
- You don't actually have to use the time-consuming scanner on people if you know you will deny them anyway. Though using it can let you detain them instead.

I thought you didn't get paid for anyone processed after closing

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SNOT CORN posted:

Oh bugger. I never kept exact track of how many I processed, so I never noticed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SNOT CORN posted:

I think there's some kind of invisible timer, where if you take too long to process that last person, you don't get paid, but otherwise you do? Because I've definitely had a "NO PAY FOR APPLICANTS AFTER 6PM" "penalty" on my end of day score card once, but I've also had loads of occasions where I processed that one last person, and didn't get the notification...I just assumed I got paid for them, but then again I didn't really keep careful count, maybe I didn't.

But you definitely aren't allowed to take forever with them, I can at least tell you that much.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I'll disagree, I literally can't play the game without Tab or Space or doubleclicks anymore.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kruller posted:

Turn your volume WAY the gently caress down.

Ignore this, McPixel's music owns.

Brown- Incomplete
Gray- Complete
Gold- 100%

You're trying to make the bomb NOT go off. That confused me for a bit.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

NihilCredo posted:

Papers, Please:

At least try out each booth upgrade once to find out which you prefer. It's hard to argue against the rule book shortcut tabs.

Here's some more:

-You can save a ton of dough by trading off between heat and food. At the end of the first day, deselect food to put that 20 bucks back in your pocket. Turn off the heat for the next day, back and forth, etc, etc. There weren't any obvious downsides, you can do this for most of the game.

-Keep your desk organized! (smaller tips):
---Always put the rule book in the same spot
---Open the rules page when you call the next person. The benefits of this become greater as the game goes on.
---If there's a wanted poster for the day, keep the mugshots out somewhere you can compare them to passport photos. Make it one of your first checks, so you don't waste time analyzing a criminal's documents.

-On top of all that, don't feel bad if you need to write things down in the real world. Sometimes the game will mention a name once, verbally, and expect you to remember it for two days.

-If you decide to scan someone, use that time to check the rest of their docs. That way you can send them through when they pass.

C-Euro posted:

Brown- Incomplete
Gray- Complete
Gold- 100%

You're trying to make the bomb NOT go off. That confused me for a bit.

To be specific, Gray means you solved it the proper way and Gold means you've tried every available outcome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One more for papers, please: eventually you'll be given the chance to upgrade to a higher class apartment. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit to doing this, it's just a waste of money. There's an achievement for getting a class 5 apartment if you care about that stuff, but otherwise you should just save your money.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

One more for papers, please: eventually you'll be given the chance to upgrade to a higher class apartment. As far as I can tell, there's no benefit to doing this, it's just a waste of money. There's an achievement for getting a class 5 apartment if you care about that stuff, but otherwise you should just save your money.

I believe that the higher class apartments keep your family from being sick as often. And in the class 5, I don't remember anyone getting sick once after moving into it. Not 100% sure though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

I believe that the higher class apartments keep your family from being sick as often. And in the class 5, I don't remember anyone getting sick once after moving into it. Not 100% sure though.

Even if that's true, medicine isn't that expensive. Given that medicine only costs 5 credits per person, I'd bet that even when you factor in the money you save from the reduced chance of illness (if any), you're losing out in the long run because of the increased rent and the big lump sum you have to pay up front to do the upgrade in the first place.

Probably, anyway. I could be wrong.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Went on an indie-game-buying-spree. Anything for Fate of the World, Papers, Please, Cart Life, Home, McPixel, or Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves The World?
For both Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World the most important thing is how you level your characters as each level-up gives a choice of two paths, A or B. Don't try to be even-handed, just specialize in one path or the other, picking mostly A's or mostly B's.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

RatHat posted:

Also, anything for Metro 2033 that isn't in the wiki? Will I have enough gas mask filters to thoroughly explore those areas?

I feel like I might've posted this somewhere already, but whatever:

I, like you, was a very exploratory person, and this came back to bite me in the rear end near the end of the game where I had one more 'outside' portion to go through but I only had one filter (partially my fault, I had plenty of money but kept saving it instead of buying filters. So make sure you buy a bunch). Even if I ran like an olympic athlete straight through the level I would die due to the filter going out.

Luckily, I found a way out of this without restarting the game. You can extend the life of your one remaining filter like so: when you enter an area where you need a mask, your character will start gasping and breathing heavily, and your first instinct will be to put the mask on. Suppress this instinct, and instead keep going until you swear you're about to keel over and die. At this moment, put the mask on, take one quick breath of life, and rip that mask right off. That one breath will give you enough to go on for another good set of time maskless, and you can keep repeating this over and over with your one filter. One of the added bonuses of doing this is you don't have to deal with your goggles fogging up and distorting your vision, since you are spending 99% of the time using your naked eyes. Also, if you're a masochist like me who plays Ranger Hardcore, it actually makes the level even harder and a more tense, thrilling experience.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

C-Euro posted:

Don't turn it down because it's bad, turn it down because it's loud as gently caress.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just installed SolForge, since it's free to play on Steam.

It's a collectible card game, so I don't expect there to be a lot of tips for this one, but are there any hints you guys can give me that'll make me a better player?

I can beat the CPU on Easy well enough, but I bumped it up to Medium and I don't do so well.

I'm basically entirely new to CCGs, which is why I'm asking for help.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Centipeed posted:

I just installed SolForge, since it's free to play on Steam.

It's a collectible card game, so I don't expect there to be a lot of tips for this one, but are there any hints you guys can give me that'll make me a better player?

I can beat the CPU on Easy well enough, but I bumped it up to Medium and I don't do so well.

I'm basically entirely new to CCGs, which is why I'm asking for help.
Wait for Hex. Or play that one on Kongregate. Or that other one on Kongregate. Or any of a million others.

I know that's not normally the type of tips you get, but seriously, there are a billion better online CCGs to waste your time on. SolForge is the cream of the crap.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 10, 2013

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wait for Hex. Or play that one on Kongregate. Or that other one on Kongregate. Or any of a million others.

I know that's not normally the type of tips you get, but seriously, there are a billion better online CCGs to waste your time on. SolForge is the cream of the crap.

Seconding Elements, it's pretty good. It used to requires about $20 in 'donations' to be competitive, but now it doesn't. Also, you can play it at it's own site instead of Kongregate.

Hex looks promising as well.

Just whatever you do, don't play Magic the Gathering Online unless you live on a trust fund *and* you have a deep loathing for humanity.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How about Odin Sphere ? I'm playing it on the ps3 after buying it on the store. I've enjoyed it so far and want to know what I'm in for.

I'm looking for good RPGs that offer choices. I have a ton for the pc and most of your usual suspects. The places that I haven't really tapped are the snes, ps1/ps2.

Another game that's caught some of my interest Dragon's Dogma Is the first one better or the 2nd one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Another game that's caught some of my interest Dragon's Dogma Is the first one better or the 2nd one?

Second one (Dark Arisen) is literally the first one with more stuff.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Breakdown (Xbox)
Play on Easy. Normal mode is roughly comparable with Halo on Legendary. Hard mode is for masochists. Easy is roughly comparable to what Normal should be.

Breakdown (Xbox)

-Slide uppercut everything. If you can't do that, just spam shockwave and slide uppercut. If this wastes too much energy, learn some other combos.

-If you survive the shooting section at the beginning of the game it gets better (this can be arguable).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stelas posted:

Second one (Dark Arisen) is literally the first one with more stuff.

Yeah Dark Arisen is actually an expansion pack. It's 100% worth whatever premium you might pay for it as opposed to a used copy of the first version. It not only has actual end-game content that is fit for high level characters(the first game got really easy once you leveled up enough), it has quality of life improvements that make it a great game rather than just a good one with some big problems.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spikeguy posted:

How about Odin Sphere ? I'm playing it on the ps3 after buying it on the store. I've enjoyed it so far and want to know what I'm in for.
Most stuff on the wiki is good enough, but I would like to add a bit of a warning:

You have to play through the game with five different characters to unlock the final book, which results in you effectively fighting the same bosses and the same dungeons just in different orders. "Great!", you say. "The game is fun!", you say. It's all well and good, but you start completely over each time. Not only building up your levels again, but buying more item bags and the like as well. All told, you'll probably put in over 40-50 hours before you hit the final book. Maybe you'll have a different experience than I did, but I got burnt out extremely quickly. It's an exhausting game. So just, like, be aware of that I guess.

PitFiend
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei? As in, the two SNES originals? I tried to play through SMT1 once, but I got stuck in the weird place after Thor's Hammer because the encounters were just too hard. Should I use a guide for certain things (like, say, fusing monsters) or just try stuff out for myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PitFiend posted:

Anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei? As in, the two SNES originals? I tried to play through SMT1 once, but I got stuck in the weird place after Thor's Hammer because the encounters were just too hard. Should I use a guide for certain things (like, say, fusing monsters) or just try stuff out for myself?

If you're not having fun go ahead and use a guide. SMT has long been a really hardcore dungeon crawling series with challenging encounters for those that don't explore the battle system.