Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Question; in the 2002-2007 Liberty which is the 'better' 4x4 system, Command-Trac or Selec-Trac? I've used the Command-Trac in my SO's 2004 TJ and it's worked just fine for what we've used it for but on paper the Selec-Trac sounds better since it has that open diff that allows you to be in 4x4 all the time if you choose to do so...but I also see that as 'just another part to fail' and really do you even need to be in 4x4 for pavement driving? I kinda just answered my own question but I just wanted some opinions from more seasoned Jeepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There are more aftermarket upgrades for the NP231 (I forget whether that's command-trac or selec-trac, but it's the one without fulltime 4x4) but I doubt that'll become an issue in a liberty. It's only really something you should consider if you intend to lift it and/or go 4 wheeling with it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I sometimes wish my Cherokee had full time awd when there is patchy snow or really heavy rain so I wouldn't be constantly shifting into and out of 4wd.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

There are more aftermarket upgrades for the NP231 (I forget whether that's command-trac or selec-trac, but it's the one without fulltime 4x4) but I doubt that'll become an issue in a liberty. It's only really something you should consider if you intend to lift it and/or go 4 wheeling with it.
Command-Trac is part time 4WD, Selec-Trac is full-or-part-time 4WD.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I'm still loving my 5.9, but I keep finding myself daydreaming about modding up a nice CJ7 and taking it out to the mountains.

I don't need two jeeps, do I?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tadhg posted:

I don't need two jeeps, do I?

Guys, I'm having too much sex and keep winning the lottery, how do I make it stop?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
5.9 CJ7

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

360 CJ7 is reportedly easy as hell, if not available from the factory. I forget.

5.9 would be pretty cool but I think I'd go LS before I went 5.9, cheaper power, no electrical reason to "keep it in the family" on a vehicle that old and I'm sure swap kits already exist.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

I'm sure swap kits already exist.

yep. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/cj5_cj7_80-86_swap.htm

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Could definitely be an alternative if I can't track down a V8 Renegade.

That said, a bulletproof straight sixer sounds dreamy. :allears:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I was doing the control arm bushings on my MJ and it occurred to me that I am WAY more likely to reach for the hammer as a first choice when working on the Jeep than on my other vehicles. It's a supremely hammerable vehicle.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Tadhg posted:

That said, a bulletproof straight sixer sounds dreamy. :allears:

Ask me about the horrible idiotic thing I did to my 4.0L the other day and how it's still driving :downsgun:

Not that this is a statement that anyone should drive 30 miles without coolant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Leave the cap off?

I had a friend do that to his Topaz, except it was the oil cap. :downs:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Godholio posted:

Leave the cap off?

I had a friend do that to his Topaz, except it was the oil cap. :downs:

$10 junkyard ZJ waterpump died on my way through Massachusetts.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 20, 2013

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Seriously gently caress the hard line around the xj master cylinder. Who the gently caress comes up with this poo poo?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So my Jeep has a 3.5" lovely block lift, and I want to do a proper lift. I like the size of the lift, though. Who makes a good quality 3.5" lift for the XJ? Comfort, quality, and articulation are important, cost isn't really an issue.

Edit: And while we're at it, what sway bar disconnects are good?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 16, 2013

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
I did a ~2.5-3" lift on my '01 using a combination of Old Man Emu and JKS parts - essentially this arrangement that DPG offers. It's about the highest-quality package you'll get and OME springs are available in quite a few spring rates, nominal heights, etc to suit your needs. I went with a JKS tierod at the same time, though I do wish I'd stuck with the standard OME Nitrocharger shocks that come with the kit - the Sports have a bit too much damping for my taste.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Interesting. This looks like what I'd want. Is that pricing about right or is it available cheaper if I shop around?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I spent some time working on the TJ on Saturday. I did an oil change, and then the fun stuff:

New rear diff cover:

New front diff glide plate:

I think this is a pretty cool design, with one major flaw. Since I'm a bad driver off-road, I tend to drive into stuff with the front diff, so in theory this will help me slide over things. The bummer is, after measuring before/after, I lost .75" of clearance, so I'll be hitting a lot more stuff. I wanted to paint it black because I'm no so into the bling of the red powder coat, but then I would've had to wait for paint to dry. I wish I hadn't painted my skid plate orange, but I need to take it off and do some grinding and rust proofing anyway.

I also 'fabbed' a flag bracket and bolted it on to the tire carrier, between the spare and the rear door:

Now when I go off-road at Ocotillo on a busy weekend I can just bolt on the flag and I'm good to go! All I did was cut a thick L-bracket to the right shape and widen the hole that the flag goes through.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Krakkles posted:

So my Jeep has a 3.5" lovely block lift, and I want to do a proper lift. I like the size of the lift, though. Who makes a good quality 3.5" lift for the XJ? Comfort, quality, and articulation are important, cost isn't really an issue.

Make sure you inspect the metal around those blocks. 6 of the 11 body mount locations in my YJ were completely hosed by one of those lifts and needed to be rewelded. Two had broken completely through to the inside of the cab.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Krakkles posted:

I've never heard anything negative about Dirk at DPG. The kit seems to include some optional extras (bump stops and disco cables) that add to the cost but then again they also give you new u-bolts and leaf bushings which is convenient. JKS is really nice but pricey stuff though, so I think it'll be tough to find a better overall deal. The JKS discos in that kit are probably the best out there. Just take out two lynch pins, tie the swaybar up and your flexin'. They come with mounts to hold it in place, but I think you need a factory front skid to install them.

I basically started out with the exact same lift and it rides as good as factory if not better. Wasn't super impressed with the OME Nitro shocks though; my Bilstein 5100's ride waaaay better.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Ok, been reading up on transfer case swaps. Haven't seen an answer for this so I ask..

I have a 95 xj with aw4/231 combo. It should have the .750 length 23 spline input on the tc. My question is, can I grab a 97+ tc with the .840 length input and use it in my jeep?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pressurized Running Water on Jeep Wrangler JK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DBpzoKIMo

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I drain the radiator of my 3.8L JK and refill with premix, and do this 2 or 3 times, for all applicable purposes, is this a coolant system flush ?

I have a grease pit I drive over, unlimited premix coolant on tap, and an oil/coolant collector. (This is why I also change diff oil with every oil change).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Drive it in between so you flush out the coolant that's in the engine and heater core.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I got the lower control arms cut off today - they were pretty beat. The passenger side had a cracked weld on one side, and the horseshoes were pulling away from the mount. Each hole was starting to wallow out a bit too. My buddy burned them off and welded the new mounts in in about 2 hours, pretty cool to watch someone work when they know what they're doing. He has a Miller 212 and it made quick work of the job.

I also picked up a gas tank skid plate, so I feel like I'm pretty well protected now!

e: Goddamn gas tank skid will need some grinding to fit and not hit the rear diff cover :mad:

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 26, 2013

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I also picked up a gas tank skid plate, so I feel like I'm pretty well protected now!

Nice!

I got my Jeep back from the Welder yesterday, they welded on an axle truss, C-gussets and LCA skids that look pretty beefy, I'll take some photos tomorrow while I'm trimming my fenders. After seeing your pictures I'm glad I got some LCA skids welded on to protect that low hanging fruit.

For any of you JK guys out there, do you carry spare axle shafts on trips? Which ones do you carry and why? I know for TJs you only need to carry 2, because the shorter one will fit in the longer side to limp home with. But with a JK I think the shorter side is quite a bit shorter and won't work in the longer side. Does this mean I'd have to carry all 4? Or just carry them for the front or back? I don't knowwwwww, any suggestions would be nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So I'm pretty sure my front control arm bushings are shot (230k miles, and a nice * thump!* when I hit certain bumps and dips argues for it.)
I'm looking a the full Energy Suspension kit, which also includes track bar and rear spring eye bushings. How much harsher a ride is this going to be than the factory rubber? This XJ is a 2-wheel drive, street driven. I can deal with a bit - I have poly in my '70 Cutlass and '79 RX-7 - but this thing seems a bit rough as-is. I suppose that could just be because of the worn-out stuff, or y'know: truck. Just want to know what to expect. I'm not against rubber bushings, but I don't want to mess with them again for a loooong time, f ever.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Darchangel posted:

So I'm pretty sure my front control arm bushings are shot (230k miles, and a nice * thump!* when I hit certain bumps and dips argues for it.)
I'm looking a the full Energy Suspension kit, which also includes track bar and rear spring eye bushings. How much harsher a ride is this going to be than the factory rubber? This XJ is a 2-wheel drive, street driven. I can deal with a bit - I have poly in my '70 Cutlass and '79 RX-7 - but this thing seems a bit rough as-is. I suppose that could just be because of the worn-out stuff, or y'know: truck. Just want to know what to expect. I'm not against rubber bushings, but I don't want to mess with them again for a loooong time, f ever.

I just replaced all of my control arms with arms that have poly bushings. Aside from the front uppers where the axle houses the bushing, those are still rubber. I notice a very small difference in road vibrations that gets transferred up to me, but it's a lot smoother just by virtue of getting rid of the old ripped up bushings.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
2000 XJ rookie question:

Good

Bad

Is what I broke correctly called the "sway bar link"? And is it really $20 per link and a couple nuts or is it harder than that? Am I wrecking my sway bar when I drive on it?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Yea that's called the swaybar link. No you're not wrecking your swaybar driving with a broken link. 4 nuts(3 in your case) and you're done.

e: you might need some smoke wrench to get them off. I've needed it every time I've had to replace them.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

fps_bill posted:

Yea that's called the swaybar link. No you're not wrecking your swaybar driving with a broken link. 4 nuts(3 in your case) and you're done.

e: you might need some smoke wrench to get them off. I've needed it every time I've had to replace them.

What is smoke wrench? Is that basically PB Blaster?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

What is smoke wrench? Is that basically PB Blaster?

Oxy-acetylene torch, AKA flame wrench.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I just replaced all of my control arms with arms that have poly bushings. Aside from the front uppers where the axle houses the bushing, those are still rubber. I notice a very small difference in road vibrations that gets transferred up to me, but it's a lot smoother just by virtue of getting rid of the old ripped up bushings.

Thanks, that was kind of my thinking.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Darchangel posted:

Oxy-acetylene torch, AKA flame wrench.

Makes sense now. I've never heard it referred to as a smoke wrench before. I'm probably going to be in that situation soon. My mostly pristine 99 XJ spent quite some time in Virginia before making its way to Louisiana and has some rust underneath it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The nut on the axle end mount is 18mm iirc. The torx head on the bolt is a trap, it is splined and won't turn, don't even try. Just undo the nut.

Since the annoying end (the one that always seizes and breaks) already did you a favor and hosed off, should be easy, pull 18mm nut off, remove old, install new.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Something I noticed while yarding for parts (found a very clean receiver hitch, sweet!), the 4.0 XJs seem to all have a short, wide radiator. My 4-banger has a more standard-sized one. Just for my edification, why is that? Is it because they had to move the radiator forward to fit the 4.0, and that's the only way it would fit? Is it like that on all of them?
Just something that caught my attention last weekend.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Darchangel posted:

Something I noticed while yarding for parts (found a very clean receiver hitch, sweet!), the 4.0 XJs seem to all have a short, wide radiator. My 4-banger has a more standard-sized one. Just for my edification, why is that? Is it because they had to move the radiator forward to fit the 4.0, and that's the only way it would fit? Is it like that on all of them?
Just something that caught my attention last weekend.

Yup they're all like that. The 6cyl makes a lot of heat and there really isn't room for a very tall radiator so they went wide.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Thank you all for the sway bar link tips.

kastein posted:

The torx head on the bolt is a trap, it is splined and won't turn, don't even try. Just undo the nut.
Thank you in particular for this because I was just about to waste money on a set of torx drivers. I can now much more wisely blow that money on booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Owning an XJ you are going to need torx sooner rather than later, but the 15 dollar non tamperproof husky set at home depot covers 99% of the sizes you need. Put it off till you need it, but don't be surprised when you do.